Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 101 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Nevus
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

again-by-emily-gravett-500.jpg
    There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 8 years ago

Wow. Jody confirms that more than one title is coming later this year.

At 9:55 mark, "We have a few more titles to go this year"

http://www.podcastgarden.com/episode/episode-170-an-evening-with-jody-dankberg-and-jared-guynes_49194

#2 8 years ago

Hmm. I wish I could say I was excited about that, but if they're really doing 3 more games in 6 months it's hard to see how they're going to get the attention the need.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

#3 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Hmm. I wish I could say I was excited about that, but if they're really doing 3 more games in 6 months it's hard to see how they're going to get the attention the need.

I'd rather have choices as opposed to waiting and waiting for someone else to make something.

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

Wow. Jody confirms that more than one title is coming later this year.
    At 9:55 mark, "We have a few more titles to go this year"
    http://www.podcastgarden.com/episode/episode-170-an-evening-with-jody-dankberg-and-jared-guynes_49194

And the interesting part that they have a title coming out that no one has guessed yet.
    Pretty crazy with all the wild speculation going on about new titles.

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from smassa:

I'd rather have choices as opposed to waiting and waiting for someone else to make something.

I'd rather pick from 3 fully baked games than 6 half baked ones is I guess what I'm saying. Hey, I'm not going to judge a single product before I see it. I'm happy to be surprised. But Stern hasn't exactly been killing it lately with being on top of the code of games at release, increasing their output doesn't really fill me with a lot of hope there.

If I'm wrong and I love the games then I'll be pondering what to sell to get one, don't get me wrong. But I'm personally not wavering from my commitment to never buy another half finished game again. Code, nicely done, or no sale, period. No dream theme will change my mind.

I am hopeful that Ritchie's next game is going to be an interesting one to watch, it's had a lot of time to be given the attention it needs. Maybe that will represent a turning point for Stern. I hope so!

#6 8 years ago

Based on the interview, I'm guessing the new title is "Um".

I heard "um" so many times from the two of them in that interview, I thought I was going to go crazy if I heard it one more time.

I guess...um...they...um...had to be careful to...um...not go off...um...Gary's script and...um...not say something that would...um...get them canned.

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I'd rather pick from 3 fully baked games than 6 half baked ones is I guess what I'm saying. Hey, I'm not going to judge a single product before I see it. I'm happy to be surprised. But Stern hasn't exactly been killing it lately with being on top of the code of games at release, increasing their output doesn't really fill me with a lot of hope there.

At the peak of Bally/Williams, how many different tables would they release a year? Anyone know?

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jrnyman:

At the peak of Bally/Williams, how many different tables would they release a year? Anyone know?

In 1955 Williams released 14 titles.

#9 8 years ago

I'm guessing its a Vault game over the summer and Ritchie's game around Expo.

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from zucot:

That'd be my guess as well.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from zucot:

ding ding ding!!

#12 8 years ago

Target date for next new game (non VE) is Sept 2nd.

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I'd still rather have more output (more choices) vs. some type of hopeful thinking that having fewer pins released per year means fully complete code on release.

Here's a shocker: it ain't going to happen. Ever.

JJP didn't have anywhere close to complete code when WoZ was released (despite declarations to the contrary well before the pin was released). Hobbit won't be "complete" on release either.

DP has already stated that the code for TBL will also not be complete on release.

It's a matter of degree, obviously, and I think Stern *has* done better on code updates lately. We know for a fact that they have hired more programmers, including Dwight Sullivan, so they should be able to keep up with one additional game released this year.

I admit that I am surprised by this announcement though. We've had WWE, WNBJM, and KISS announced so far this year, so I expected one more title to be announced before the end of the year. Then again, KISS seems to have been announced early and it would be unusual to only announce one pin in a six month period.

#14 8 years ago

And they said it was stuff that no one has guessed yet
    So keep guessing boys

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

I'd still rather have more output (more choices) vs. some type of hopeful thinking that having fewer pins released per year means fully complete code on release.

Yes, but they already seem to have the problem of incomplete releases with slow updates on a 2 game per year schedule... Throw two more releases in there without increasing the programming staff by an order of magnitude, and one of two things happens.

1... all games get updated even slower than now
    2... any game that isn't strong out of the gate gets pushed to the back and possibly never done.

I'm not buying half baked stuff. I bought Metallica in January and just bought Star Trek. I don't want to be sick of looking at a game by the time its right.

#16 8 years ago

Also judging by what he said about pre-order and crowdfunding he's definitely on Pinside.

Guess #1 Guardians of the Galaxy

Guess #2 Iron Maiden

PS: Since he's reading this, I like to say he sucks at marketing, he's lucky to get Jared.

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

PS: Since he's reading this, I like to say he sucks at marketing, he's lucky to get Jared.

Jody helped secure Tron & Metallica licensing which have done great to market and promote pinball. There is a lot more to marketing than updating a facebook page and he said in his interview he was short staffed.

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Actually I think you're wrong. Stern isn't stupid, they get the outcry, and they're working on it. But it's not the kind of thing you can just switch overnight.

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Also judging by what he said about pre-order and crowdfunding he's definitely on Pinside.

Everyone at Stern is reading Pinside, don't think they aren't. They just don't post. Ritchie, Lyman, Jody, Lonnie, etc etc.

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from TOK:

I don't want to be sick of looking at a game by the time its right.

That's honestly why I sold Star Trek. I still have issues with the current code, but it's much better than the launch code. It's just that by the time it was out it was too late, I was over the game. I could rekindle the magic. Buying early sucks, at least for me. Never again.

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from TOK:

Yes, but they already seem to have the problem of incomplete releases with slow updates on a 2 game per year schedule... Throw two more releases in there without increasing the programming staff by an order of magnitude, and one of two things happens.
    1... all games get updated even slower than now
    2... any game that isn't strong out of the gate gets pushed to the back and possibly never done.
    I'm not buying half baked stuff. I bought Metallica in January and just bought Star Trek. I don't want to be sick of looking at a game by the time its right.

You are a smart guy! I do the same thing now: wait! No need to buy on release. I waited until MET was out for a good while before buying it, and the result was that I only waited a few weeks for the major code update. Same with Mustang LE (bought HUO). Also did the same with TWD and the major update was released a week after I got the pin.

I've been very happy doing it this way, as I have very little to complain about when it comes to code on any of these pins. Made the mistake of buying STLE on release. Never again.

And like I said, Stern *is* getting better and faster with the code updates! With new programmers hired, I say bring on the extra game this year..

#22 8 years ago

The longer wait you wait to buy a NIB the more money it will cost you from a distributor. Lets say you buy Kiss for $4800 today and a year from now when the code is final and more people want to buy it, it will be $5300. So there is an incentive to buy early if you wanted NIB.

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from ZenTron:

The longer wait you wait to buy a NIB the more money it will cost you from a distributor. Lets say you buy Kiss for $4800 today and a year from now when the code is final and more people want to buy it, it will be $5300. So there is an incentive to buy early if you wanted NIB.

Huh? Nonsense. Unless you're buying from some shady guy there's zero truth to that. Maybe it's time to get a new distributor.

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Actually I think you're wrong. Stern isn't stupid, they get the outcry, and they're working on it. But it's not the kind of thing you can just switch overnight.

How am I wrong?

How long ago was Star Trek released? That's old news by now. Look at how fast they got Mustang completed code wise! Look how good the code is on TWD already compared to the Star Trek Fiasco.

I don't know how anyone could say that those two releases haven't been a big improvement code wise.

We will see what happens with WWE and KISS.

Also, if what you say is true and Stern isn't stupid and they get the outcry, that is even more reason to believe that they are not going to release an extra pin a year if it is going to have a noticeable negative impact on their ability to deliver a solid code update in a more timely manner than in the past.

#25 8 years ago

There's some truth there for me. I didn't sell, but buying in early does have its drawbacks. The funny thing is, you almost always can save money and code frustration by waiting. Not many games from the last 5 years are more on the resale market today than they were delivered NIB.

#26 8 years ago
    Quoted from ZenTron:

The longer wait you wait to buy a NIB the more money it will cost you from a distributor. Lets say you buy Kiss for $4800 today

Let's say I don't... How much money will I have if I elect to pass?

#27 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Huh? Nonsense. Unless you're buying from some shady guy there's zero truth to that. Maybe it's time to get a new distributor.

Ive been quoted the same game from multiple distributors with about 6 months of time difference. Each one of them was more money for the same ST Pro then 6 months previous. If you think there is zero truth to costs increasing aka , inflation doesn't exist, im not sure what to tell you. MSRP of Kiss is $5995 and you can get from a distributor for $4800 today. Mark this post but in 12 months it will be $5200-$5300.

#28 8 years ago

I finished listening to this earlier today.

Honestly, it felt like a huge PR speech about how amazing Stern is and how they continue to outshine and outsell the competition 99-to-1. I'm not saying I didn't enjoy it, but nothing I heard really blew me away.

#29 8 years ago

As for the topic in question, more choices is better. Im a pass on WNBJM & WWE, Kiss is doubtful but if they have 3 more titles thats 3 more chances Stern has to make me another NIB customer.

#30 8 years ago
    Quoted from ZenTron:

As for the topic in question, more choices is better. Im a pass on WNBJM & WWE, Kiss is doubtful but if they have 3 more titles thats 3 more chances Stern has to make me another NIB customer.

What if the next three titles are Camaro, WNBA, and Styx?

#31 8 years ago
    Quoted from ZenTron:

Stern seems to rotate the type of machines they sell in a pretty good pattern in my opinion:
    Music - Metallica
    SciFi - Star Trek
    Auto - Mustang
    Gore - The Walking Dead
    Entertainment - WWE
    Boobs - Whoa Nellie
    Music - Kiss

Not stacking up the same genre back to back. Gives the music person time to reload his bank account before the next music pin comes out.

I'm hoping for a good sports theme myself.

#32 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

But Stern hasn't exactly been killing it lately with being on top of the code of games at release,

I don't think they ever will have a game fully baked at release. They said in the interview that one of the reasons that incomplete code is positive is that it gives time for them to receive feedback and allow programmers to receive that feedback and make for an ultumately better game. I think that's just fine. just know going in you're game will not have complete code and it will get approximately an update a quarter, and you won't be disappointed.

#33 8 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Guess #1 Guardians of the Galaxy

Forget what I said a minute ago. If they make a Guardians of the Galaxy with an Awesome Mix sound track (Steve Ritchie preferred designer) I'll probably break my pre-order vow.

#34 8 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

DP has already stated that the code for TBL will also not be complete on release.

However they did say that everything in the playfield will be coded at release. That's pretty good in my book. That just means updates to add depth and polishing rulesets to come after. I would say that's a great start. But we will see.

#35 8 years ago

Best marketing motto ever: Code is unfinished because we are in the manufacturing business.

#36 8 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Code is unfinished

How does that happen on a theme that is 40+ years old?

#37 8 years ago

Aurich they kinda gave you a shoutout in the interview.

There were a couple things in the show that rang false to me. Like how they played off the fact that the impetus here for Jareds hiring isn't the sustained attack that is #wheresthecode, but something Stern has had planned. If it is a full time position it's only due to that mess.

And the whole BS about interviewing lots of other companies for the job.... C'mon, they may have 'interviewed' other candidates to gauge the offerings, but are they gonna put out real cash or go with the guy that will do it for the BOM of a few machines each year.

I'm not knocking Jared's hustle here, I think he's a perfect fit and he should do a great job. It just feels like they're being a little dishonest about the situation.

#38 8 years ago

Just finished listening. Did Jody really say that Stern is like a punk rock band.

#39 8 years ago
    Quoted from luckymoey:

Stern is like a punk rock band.

"I've got a bitchen Camaro!"

#40 8 years ago

Jesus, people need to cut Stern a break. All they have done is be the keeper of the flame for a decade and a half of terrible times for the hobby, and produce a buttload of games, on time and with consistent reliability. How many times do the old ops have to remind us that even the gold standard of Bally/Williams released machines with unfinished code regularly?

#41 8 years ago

Enjoyed the podcast but what a difference from the prior show with Ed Robertson who was so articulate, relaxed and humble.

#42 8 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

people need to cut Stern a break.

I'll cut them a break when they make me want to mortgage the farm to buy a new pinball machine. But $8000 for kiss?

Come on man!!!

#43 8 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

Jesus, people need to cut Stern a break. All they have done is be the keeper of the flame for a decade and a half of terrible times for the hobby, and produce a buttload of games, on time and with consistent reliability. How many times do the old ops have to remind us that even the gold standard of Bally/Williams released machines with unfinished code regularly?

I don't think anyone is saying Stern hasn't done amazing things for this hobby. This interview was just 2 guys repeating what Gary has already said in the past. I don't feel like anything of real substance came out of this.

Pinside is Stern's biggest critic, so consider that as well.

#44 8 years ago

Trudeau and Borg just released theirs, so I'm guessing the next will be Ritchie (and then Trudeau and Borg -- in that order)

#45 8 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

I'll cut them a break when they make me want to mortgage the farm to buy a new pinball machine. But $8000 for kiss?
    Come on man!!!

$8000 for anything is absurd. We all deserve dick kicks for what we pay - whether it be $7K for a CV or $5K for a TZ or $6300 for ACDC. $9000 for Wizard of Oz? $9000 for TBL? Burning $16K on Magic Girl? It's all relative. But Stern does not deserve the shit they get. In all honesty. Is releasing a game with unfinished code that takes a year to complete worse than taking money for a game and being 3 years late? Or being forever late? Or stealing money on lies? Or having your company leadership fall apart and refunds randomly fired out? Or folding up shop and locking the doors? Because that has happened, literally, with every other producer of games, in some form or another. But the pitchforks aren't nearly as sharp and numerous for anyone else. Something about low hanging fruit, I guess

#46 8 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

It's all relative.

Yeah, all these other fly by night companies are making Stern look real good right now. And they were truly the keepers of the flame while others petered out 15 years ago. And still are the ones you can count on to release and deliver new machines several times a year. But with the prices they are now charging, and some of the recent themes, I seriously wonder how long it will last.

#47 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I seriously wonder how long it will last.

Until the next recession.

#48 8 years ago

The "mystery" pin scheduled for release later this year will have a family-friendly theme based on a book by well-known British author and illustrator of children's books, Emily Gravett.

You guys just missed the obvious clues.

again-by-emily-gravett-500.jpgagain-by-emily-gravett-500.jpg

#49 8 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

Until the next recession.

That in itself might make a good theme.

#50 8 years ago

Recession pinball: Foreclosure multiball. Pink slip lane combo, Bull and Bear drop targets. Available only by pre-order through Goldman Sachs.

There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/c2c-wjody-jared-spoilers/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.