Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by cjchand
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F4F735C8-7C62-47D4-BB02-6059A2B497AB (resized).png
    A23EDA0F-05EF-4970-B081-D5B586B09957 (resized).jpeg
    B6BC644C-CB98-44F8-BA96-8DADB26ABC8E (resized).jpeg
    #1 4 years ago

I apologize in advance for my ignorance. Jeez.

I am looking for a tool to remove the c-clip (or whatever they are called) from the shooting rod on TSPP.

Found a bunch of tools on amazon, but most look big and for automotive use.

What do you guys use?

Thanks in advance for your time. This should be easy but I have no experience with c-clips at all. Cheers.

#2 4 years ago

needle nose pliers.

#4 4 years ago

Yup no special needed; Needle nose always good. You can use a small screwdriver too but the clips tend to shoot off and disappear.

#5 4 years ago

Get a snap ring tool. They are cheap. Yes needle nose work in a pinch but you will never lose a clip again with the right tool especially if you are trying to get in hard to reach places. Mine came from radio shack many years years ago and had several attachments for diffferent clips. They are cheap.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from PBFan:

Get a snap ring tool. They are cheap. Yes needle nose work in a pinch but you will never lose a clip again with the right tool especially if you are trying to get in hard to reach places. Mine came from radio shack many years years ago and had several attachments for diffferent clips. They are cheap.

Pics of your tool? I just need to know what tips are on your pliers.

Thank you all for your input! And thanks for the long links!

#7 4 years ago

Nope

#8 4 years ago

But, be sure to pull spring and washer back first. Should be able to just nudge clip up with small screwdriver and pop off with hand.

#9 4 years ago

As requested. This one allows u to use the same tool for inner and outer snap rings or clips.

A23EDA0F-05EF-4970-B081-D5B586B09957 (resized).jpegA23EDA0F-05EF-4970-B081-D5B586B09957 (resized).jpegB6BC644C-CB98-44F8-BA96-8DADB26ABC8E (resized).jpegB6BC644C-CB98-44F8-BA96-8DADB26ABC8E (resized).jpeg
    #10 4 years ago

snap ring =/= e clip

Use a needle nose to remove e clips.

#11 4 years ago

Needle nose pliers slip off, needle nose vise grips are perfect and will never lose the grip. Those snap ring pliers shown are for C clips that have tiny holes in the end, none of the C clips on a machine have holes in the ends.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bendit:

Pics of your tool?

Nope, not sending any pics of my tool.(not on a public page, anyway...)

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from RocketFromTombs:

ummmmm what?

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from tomtest:

none of the C clips on a machine have holes in the ends.

Exactly! That's what confused me.

Quoted from PBFan:

As requested. This one allows u to use the same tool for inner and outer snap rings or clips.

Thank you Sir!

e clips?????

If you use needle nose pliers, don't the c-clip stay bent after they are removed?

So it's not worth it to get the c-clip pliers since the c-clips in the pinball machines don't have holes in them? If it's still worth it to get the c-clip pliers, which "tip" do you use?

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from RocketFromTombs:

This maybe the weirdest response I’ve seen

#16 4 years ago

for c clips i use a needle nose plier or pick tool to remove. the pick tool to prick the clip off into my hand.

F4F735C8-7C62-47D4-BB02-6059A2B497AB (resized).pngF4F735C8-7C62-47D4-BB02-6059A2B497AB (resized).png
    #17 4 years ago
    Quoted from robotron:

for c clips i use a needle nose plier or pick tool to remove. the pick tool to prick the clip off into my hand.

I have a pick set. I have needle nose pliers. I will try using them!

Thanks guys! Cheers!

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bendit:

e clips?????
    If you use needle nose pliers, don't the c-clip stay bent after they are removed?
    So it's not worth it to get the c-clip pliers since the c-clips in the pinball machines don't have holes in them? If it's still worth it to get the c-clip pliers, which "tip" do you use?

C clips = E clips. They are shaped like a C, but also have the middle nub, looking like an E.

Listen, you can buy anything you want and buying tools is fun, but this is totally over thinking it. This specialized tool will not make your life any easier for removing C clips, all you need are needle nose pliers.

You yank the thing off, and 97% of the time the clip is fine, use your pliers (multiple uses! ) to bend it back a bit for the other 2.5% it's not fine.
    Head to the hardware store if you need to buy more c clips

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

C clips = E clips. They are shaped like a C, but also have the middle nub, looking like an E.

Listen, you can buy anything you want and buying tools is fun, but this is totally over thinking it. This specialized tool will not make your life any easier for removing C clips, all you need are needle nose pliers.

You yank the thing off, and 97% of the time the clip is fine, use your pliers (multiple uses! ) to bend it back a bit for the other 2.5% it's not fine.
    Head to the hardware store if you need to buy more c clips

Thanks. Very important piece you added. The cumulative knowledge listed here is making me comfy. Thanks again!

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bendit:

Thanks. Very important piece you added. The cumulative knowledge listed here is making me comfy. Thanks again!

Yeah we all have to learn. The funny part is this thread took 1000 times longer to read than removing the clip

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah we all have to learn. The funny part is this thread took 1000 times longer to read than removing the clip

True. But you also need factor in the many hours spent looking where that little clip lands after it flies across the room because the wrong tool was used.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah we all have to learn.

Good to see a lot of patience in this thread too. Many threads like this go south so kudos to all who realized just what Law said and offered help.

#23 4 years ago

I use a flat head screwdriver to pry it off, but keep my other hand over it so it flies into my hand, and not into orbit. I used a pliers to install it. I don't have a ton of luck trying to pull it off with a pliers. Seems to always slip off.

#24 4 years ago

https://www.harborfreight.com/snap-ring-pliers-with-interchangeable-heads-63845.html

For $4.99 (pre 20% coupons they keep spamming me with) might as well get the right tool for the job.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/c-clip-snap-ring-tool?hl=cjchand and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.