Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

Hey guys, In theory, if a solenoid itself is causing a short, I should be able to remove the solenoid, and splice the wires (50+vdc) from the lugs together and it shouldn't blow the fuse right? Figured I'd run this by you before I tried it. I guess in short, the question is, can I simply remove the solenoid out of the circuit and patch the in/out leads together.

Thanks

#2 5 years ago
    Quoted from Occelot:

Hey guys, In theory, if a solenoid itself is causing a short, I should be able to remove the solenoid, and splice the wires (50+vdc) from the lugs together and it shouldn't blow the fuse right? Figured I'd run this by you before I tried it. I guess in short, the question is, can I simply remove the solenoid out of the circuit and patch the in/out leads together.
    Thanks

Yes. If I understand your question, you don't need to do anything besides remove the power wire side from the coil and connect those wires back together.

Easier still, you could just remove the single wire on the GROUNDING side of the coil and you will more efficiently accomplish the same thing.

However, there would be a bit more to it if you are speaking of double wound style flipper coils.

So, it really depend on the solenoid(s) in question.

#3 5 years ago

No, that'll create a dead short. Attaching the two lugs together is the same as having a short in the coil.

#4 5 years ago

Correct me if I am in the wrong, isn't coil failure rare, more often it is a bad coil diode or diode transistor?
    I mean they can burn if one of the above fail in the closed position but check those components before assuming it is a coil with no moving parts?

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Beginner%27s_Notes#Top_5_things_to_know:

#5 5 years ago

It can go either way, a coil can burn and short out the driver transistor, or the transistor can short and burn the coil. One thing for darn sure, never short the coil wires together or you will damage the power driver board first time you try to fire the coil.

#6 5 years ago

Get ready for some board work.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from Occelot:

Thanks

That's a DEAD SHORT, and WILL FRY SOMETHING (hopefully just more fuses, but probably more)....

Think of a coil like a light bulb, hot power goes in one end, the bulb is a load that does something (heat and light), and the power goes out the other end to ground.

If you short the two wires going into a light bulb you get a short and a FIRE. Go stick a metal paper clip into the two sides of a socket for an example, if you really need one (I'm am not responsible if you really try to do so).

Coils are also wired much like the wiring in your home, where the wire comes from the power source, goes to one outlet, and another wire goes from there to the next outlet, providing power in PARALLEL. That is equivalent to the daisy chaining of the power from coil to coil.

You really just want to remove and tape and protect the grounding (switched) wire at the coil if you wise the coil to be out of a circuit.

Without a load, connecting power to ground is a short, and shorts are bad.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

No, that'll create a dead short. Attaching the two lugs together is the same as having a short in the coil.

I did not read that was what he was suggesting but now that I look it over, it could be.

One wire is power, one grounds the coil. You should NOT connect them together.

I thought you meant "connect the daisy chained power wires of the same color back together after they were removed"... that would be fine.

#9 5 years ago

Thanks. So removing the solenoid and taping the solenoid leads (not together) should prevent the fuse from blowing if the coil itself is causing the short?

#10 5 years ago

And just so I’m aware. The reason you can’t do what I was mentioning is because 50-60vdc goes in, but the load uses some of the volts, and the output expects much less?

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from Occelot:

Thanks. So removing the solenoid and taping the solenoid leads (not together) should prevent the fuse from blowing if the coil itself is causing the short?

yeah. but if there's two wires going to one lug, those need to stay connected, as snyper2099 mentions.

Quoted from Occelot:

And just so I’m aware. The reason you can’t do what I was mentioning is because 50-60vdc goes in, but the load uses some of the volts, and the output expects much less?

Sorta. As the resistance the voltage is going through (the coil) lowers, the current going through will begin to increase exponentially. If your resistance is zero (because there's no coil), then that's 'infinite' current (or as close as the power supply can manage), which will blow the fuse (and anything else involved)

#12 5 years ago

if you want to disconnect a shorted coil for the time being just cut off the driver side wire. That is it. you are done. (i think this is what you are looking for).

If you want to remove the shorted coil but still play the game otherwise the voltage bus side wire, if two connected forming a chain, need attached together. If you leave both ends of the voltage bus wire flapping in the breeze the coils down the wire chain from the disconnected one will have no power.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bypass-solenoid-possible and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.