(Topic ID: 125950)

BWS - "The Shadow" or "Dr.WHO" - Which one would you choose and why ?

By Flippermatt

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by T7
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Hi

I am currently trying to evaluate between these two.. I owe Shadow and got an offer to trade it for Dr.Who... I haven´t played my T.S much and haven´t developed the feel for it yet. It beats the crap out of me every time.

I know nothing about Dr.Who.... Would love to hear how you personally rate them to one another.

Is this a bad deal ?

Thanks
Matt

#2 8 years ago

I hope there is cash coming to you in the trade. Personally I find TS to be a much better game that Dr. Who.

#3 8 years ago

TS is the better game. The art on the pf/cabinet is nice, but unless you are running the alternate speaker panel/translite ick. Tough game, plenty to do. Video mode is a little better than DW.

Dr. Who is the better theme, if you are a fan of the show. Otherwise the colors and art scream seventies plus the Dalek's Destroy voice bite will grind on your nerves.

Dr. Who is not nearly as deep. The Time Expander is an excellent, albeit pita to fix, toy. The video mode is fun enough. Each doctor gives different advantages as to what to go for which adds some strategy. In a collection of six, I found it did not have enough legs even though I was a fan of the show. Wouldn't mind another one back but as a trade, no bad deal.

#4 8 years ago

Interesting as I am possibly selling my DW this weekend to fund a Shadow. As much as I want a Shadow (think it's got more shots, modes, etc) I'm feeling at a loss to let go of the DW. My first DMD game, my first colorizing for CDMD, it's a game that people gravitate to when I have people over for pinball, easy to understand (the basics). Really wish I could just keep it AND get Shadow! Whether or not cash changes hands I would say depends on the condition of both games. I'd say Shadow is more valued in the market so given equal condition would mean cash plus DW, but that's the general market - still depends on buyer/seller and condition.

#5 8 years ago

Buy the dr don't sell shadow...

#6 8 years ago

In the US, The Shadow often sells for about $700 to $1,000 more than DW.

Do you like the classic Doctor Who TV show? Can you stand a Dalek screaming at you while you play?

I'm a big fan of DW, but a lot of it is nostalgia for my favorite TV show. I have yet to play the Shadow.

#7 8 years ago

I've owned both. DW is still here and Shadow is gone, but they are both great games. DW was my first pin and I'm a huge fan of the show, so that speaks a lot as to why its stayed. Shadow and DW play very differently, hard to say one is "better" than the other.

#8 8 years ago

One of the first pins that I acquired was a DW. It is still in my collection and gets played quite often. I like how the rule set changes depending on which doctor you have selected.

#9 8 years ago

I agree that Shadow is a more expensive game. I haven't played one yet but looks very cool. Dr. Who is fun but I can see where the sounds might get annoying at home. I think Shadow has more to offer but not sure how you compare.

#10 8 years ago

Both great games but I'd have to give the edge to Shadow.

#11 8 years ago

Shadow by a bit. DOCTOR Who (He's not a DR.)is fun, but shadow all around better. DW is very unique, but it's uniqueness makes it not as everyday playing able TS IMO.

#12 8 years ago

I love both but very different. DW is a blast but lacks depth compared to shadow. Me personally would keep the Shadow.

#13 8 years ago

I find DW more frustrating than fun. Upper flipper to ramp shot looped over and over is a cheap way to big points. When not in competition, I'd rather play something else.

#14 8 years ago

I have owned both and would say Shadow

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from Flippermatt:

Hi
I am currently trying to evaluate between these two.. I owe Shadow and got an offer to trade it for Dr.Who... I haven´t played my T.S much and haven´t developed the feel for it yet. It beats the crap out of me every time.
I know nothing about Dr.Who.... Would love to hear how you personally rate them to one another.
Is this a bad deal ?
Thanks
Matt

i have played dw a number of times. shadow is way better imo. everything about it aside from the aforementioned translite/speaker panel. i would play it more and also make sure all your switches are working. epic game when dialed in.

#16 8 years ago

Shadow is a better, but more difficult game. Dr. Who is very much about looping the upper left flipper shot - which is fun, but very repetitive. Shadow is better balanced, has more to do, and is more exciting if you're good. Less skilled players will probably like Dr. Who more IMO.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 37.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

£ 110.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bws-the-shadow-or-drwho-which-one-would-you-chose-and-why and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.