(Topic ID: 166367)

B/W vs newer machines

By Luppin

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cb2ca5774f57d7998864ec7fe25858b5 (resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    2724125_(resized).jpg
    thumbnail_FullSizeRender_(resized).jpg
    SP2_(resized).jpg
    12_(resized).jpg
    3pRsjdA_(resized).jpg
    CAM01986.jpg

There are 199 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Sadly, most non-pinheads go for the flash and bling on newer Sterns and JJP. True pinheads appreciate the classics in all their glory.

This is very true for Pinside. They do not see past the DMD or the LED's. But we were the same way back in the day. Back when TAF and TZ came out, we only wanted to play DMD games as well. Through the decades, after you have played every DMD there is extensively. you tend to broaden your horizons and expand into early SS, then EM's and even woodrails. Every generation and every company has something good to offer. Just have to have an open mind to see it.

#152 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I'm not. Didn't know they had a reunion a few years back...
    Ronnie Montrose RIP.
    » YouTube video

WOW! OK, so I'm not sorry...

#153 7 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

Don't get me wrong. I own some nice Stern games. LOTR, AC/DC, POTC. Heck, LOTR is my favorite (own 2). But the bulk? Well look at my collection list. TZ, SS, MM, TAF, CFTBL, AFM, WH2O, MB, ToM, TOTAN, FT, IJ, T2, WCS, BSD, (probably more). Sorry, but there is no comparison of those 8 years (T2 in 91 to MB in 98) to the twice that 16 years following so far (2001 to 2016).
    Heck, my System-11 games like Diner, Taxi and Earthshaker are more fun and have more feeling then most of the DMD games I listed earlier. Just my opinion of course. But I have put enough time into the hobby to earn an opinion worth listening to. If you only play new games with a closed mind your missing out. The Stern game I have had the most fun on this month was Stars. There is a "Just one more game" pin.

This is exactly what's happening to me. In this thread I mainly referred to '90 DMD B/Ws machines, but lately I am realizing machines from the second half of the '80 have even more of this magic touch. Basically Im talking about System 11: more simple rules, shorter ball times, but... just perfect! They have everything I like in a pinball machine, including great music - I own Swords of Fury and Space Station, just unbelievable Pinball Music. Also, at the moment I can still grab those '80 machines for low prices, so really.. Why spend 8k for a nib machine when with that money you can get around 5 of those jewels?

#154 7 years ago
    Quoted from Luppin:

Basically Im talking about System 11: more simple rules, shorter ball times, but... just perfect! They have everything I like in a pinball machine, including great music

My Cyclone and Earthshaker are never leaving. Can't think of a single newer game that could ever replace them.

#155 7 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

This is very true for Pinside. They do not see past the DMD or the LED's. But we were the same way back in the day. Back when TAF and TZ came out, we only wanted to play DMD games as well. Through the decades, after you have played every DMD there is extensively. you tend to broaden your horizons and expand into early SS, then EM's and even woodrails. Every generation and every company has something good to offer. Just have to have an open mind to see it.

Agreed! But pre-1986 games worries me for lack of proper music.. Which is something crucial in a pinball machine in my very personal opinion.. But I hope with more time I will understand... ?

#156 7 years ago

Stars and Joker Poker could easily stand with the best of them.

#157 7 years ago

It's nice this thread hasn't devolved into something tasteless.

Games feel different than others, but I've never really noticed the feel being a significant impact regarding enjoyment.

I'll state an opinion I have here... Deep rules means nothing with regard to enjoyment.

The question is whether the rules are fun when combined with the playfield design. I'd rather have normal rules that are fun than deep rules that are hard to understand, not enjoyable, or just confusing.

Deep rules may be fun. They may not be fun. But saying "deep rules" by itself doesn't mean much to me. BTW, same applies to rules of any sort.

"Simple" games, like Fun House can be awesome also. Again, if the rules + playfield fit well.

Any pin can be fun and should be evaluated / played on it's own merit (don't judge based on when it was made or who made it).

As background, I'm mostly a 90s Bally/Williams guy. But that's because I think they are the sweet spot in Pinball with regard to fun/dollar.

#158 7 years ago
    Quoted from Luppin:

Agreed! But pre-1986 games worries me for lack of proper music.. Which is something crucial in a pinball machine in my very personal opinion.. But I hope with more time I will understand... ?

I quite like the droning background sounds of games like Centaur and Vector.

#159 7 years ago
    Quoted from Marty_Graw77:

Nailed it. This is the biggest problem I have with the newest Sterns; and I believe it's intentional. The rules are not well explained. In the B/W days, you had the rule cards, inserts, play field, and eventually the DMD to explain what your targets should be and why. Once Stern figured out they could ship pins without complete code, I believe they started intentionally leaving the play field more vague. The rational being that it's easier to manipulate the code when you're not painted into a corner by what the play field says. So, if you want to dig through forums to understand rules in a home environment then fine. But this doesn't benefit people playing these machines in the wild for the first time. TWD is one of the worst offenders in this manner. People who've read and studied the rules love it and say it's one of the best rule sets ever and can score crazy high scores. Whereas people playing for the first time have no idea what they should be doing; even in the traditional "shoot the lit up blinky thing" model. You can shoot targets on that game all day, start multiballs, and last half an hour; and barely break 20 million. Unless you know exactly what to hit and in what order, you don't stand a chance. The machines don't explain it to you either. At the very least the DMD should let you know when starting a mode what the goal is. But more often than not, that isn't the case anymore.

It's funny, I played GOT premium got a BW MB but hit the battering ram a few times but didn't do anything intentionally yet I got a high score on the machine apparently I hit some magic combination that quadrupled the score and then some.

I do like complex rules like AcDc or TWD but I need to study like for a final exam before I know what I'm doing.

Probably GOT is nice rules but I just don't like the premium because half the PF is covered by the massive upper PF, I have not played the pro yet.

I think Met has great rules as well.

#160 7 years ago
    Quoted from stoptap:

I quite like the droning background sounds of games like Centaur and Vector.

Does it sounds any different in reality compared to online videos? I watched many youtube pinball videos, and the sounds sounded repetitive in those early ss pins to me. I am talking relatively to newcomers to those games. I mean, I understand that for people who played those machines during their youth these sounds can be pleasing: they remember how innovative, fresh and exciting they used to be, plus they remind them their youth. But for somebody who play those pin first time now? I am asking because I have never seen those machines in reality (well, I was a little kid at that time but I really cant remeber).

#161 7 years ago
    Quoted from Luppin:

Does it sounds any different in reality compared to online videos? I watched many youtube pinball videos, and the sounds sounded repetitive in those early ss pins to me. I am talking relatively to newcomers to those games. I mean, I understand that for people who played those machines during their youth these sounds can be pleasing: they remember how innovative, fresh and exciting they used to be, plus they remind them their youth. But for somebody who play those pin first time now? I am asking because I have never seen those machines in reality (well, I was a little kid at that time but I really cant remeber).

It sounds a lot deeper in real life. It really sets the tone of the game. The drone sound is broken up with other sound effects too.

If you have never heard a Centaur in the flesh then you are truly missing out.

#162 7 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

You know stern has some top secret wide body shit goin on in that secret room...

I would love and hope to see one day what Stern could do with a wide body pin again in today's era. I mean who does not want more in a game. You can only pack so much in a standard game and not bring a lot of new ideas. But from what we alway he will never happen.

#163 7 years ago
    Quoted from stoptap:

It sounds a lot deeper in real life. It really sets the tone of the game. The drone sound is broken up with other sound effects too.
    If you have never heard a Centaur in the flesh then you are truly missing out.

nice to "hear" I am a big electronic music fan, so I need to check that out soon! The problem is (I am from Italy) I cannot see many of those machines around..!

#164 7 years ago
    Quoted from Luppin:

nice to "hear" I am a big electronic music fan, so I need to check that out soon! The problem is (I am from Italy) I cannot see many of those machines around..!

Listen carefully tonight, I shall turn the volume up to full on mine.

#165 7 years ago

#166 7 years ago

Pinball machines are like music.... each decade has its greatest hits and flops. If you grew up with that music you tend to like it. I personally hate 60's and most 70's music mainly because I was a kid in the 80's and 90's. My kids hate that music and listen to shitty 2010's music instead. Pinball in the 90's is similar to the 2k's and 2010's, but the themes have changed. B/W to many feel older and a bit outdated (not that they are bad games), but they mostly play newer Sterns which are fast and flashy. I personally like a mix of both (I love Jackbot). However older Em games have no appeal to me other than a few plays here and there.... yet some think they are the best games ever made. Different tastes for everyone

#167 7 years ago
    Quoted from Luppin:

This is exactly what's happening to me. In this thread I mainly referred to '90 DMD B/Ws machines, but lately I am realizing machines from the second half of the '80 have even more of this magic touch. Basically Im talking about System 11: more simple rules, shorter ball times, but... just perfect! They have everything I like in a pinball machine, including great music - I own Swords of Fury and Space Station, just unbelievable Pinball Music. Also, at the moment I can still grab those '80 machines for low prices, so really.. Why spend 8k for a nib machine when with that money you can get around 5 of those jewels?

If you have the System-11 bug you need to try Diner, Taxi, Whirlwind, Earthshaker, EatPM to name a couple of biggies.

If you like background music my number one is always CFTBL.

#168 7 years ago

I've tried Taxi and like it, but only played few games.

About CFTBL, although the music is very well executed, I am not into boogie/rock'nrollish type of stuff at all, so really not my cup of tea.

I can't wait to check more System 11!

#169 7 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

If you have the System-11 bug you need to try Diner, Taxi, Whirlwind, Earthshaker, EatPM to name a couple of biggies.
    If you like background music my number one is always CFTBL.

you throw out a list of system 11 and miss the best system 11 there is?

Swords of fury is the best system 11. Better than 97% of all the DMD's as well.

#170 7 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

you throw out a list of system 11 and miss the best system 11 there is?
    Swords of fury is the best system 11. Better than 97% of all the DMD's as well.

He already has one. LIONMAN!!!

#172 7 years ago

Swords of Fury is beyond pinball experience!! It's pure magic.

6 months later
    #173 7 years ago
    Quoted from Luppin:

Swords of Fury is beyond pinball experience!! It's pure magic.

OMG yes. Swords of Fury, Space Station, EATPM, Whirlwind, BOP, and Funhouse would round out my early B/W collection if I could. Possibly add Doctor Dude in there as well. Just great games, great fun! That sweet spot from mid-80's to mid-90's is the best.

I've been playing a lot of the newer Sterns lately and while they are very pretty and I really like the added bonus for music you can get (dials on front, headphone jacks, etc...), they just aren't quite as fun. Except for maybe BM66, that was pretty freaking fun to play.

#174 7 years ago
    Quoted from damadczar:

OMG yes. Swords of Fury, Space Station, EATPM, Whirlwind, BOP, and Funhouse would round out my early B/W collection if I could. Possibly add Doctor Dude in there as well. Just great games, great fun! That sweet spot from mid-80's to mid-90's is the best.

I see you already have an Earthshaker. But your list is missing Diner and Taxi.

Edit: Sorry to repeat myself. I see I already mentioned them 6 month ago

#175 7 years ago

I just stumbled across this thread and agree that the new pins don't have the soul of the older ones. I am a System 11 and press DMD Data East fan. The music, shots and feel are what make pinball great. I do enjoy the DMD games too, but prefer the 3 for one price of a system 11.

#176 7 years ago
    Quoted from damadczar:

I've been playing a lot of the newer Sterns lately and while they are very pretty and I really like the added bonus for music you can get (dials on front, headphone jacks, etc...), they just aren't quite as fun. Except for maybe BM66, that was pretty freaking fun to play.

Space Station my other favourite System 11, amazing too!

About new Stern really dont like the art and the feel. Surely good and deep code, but after playing pinball for long enough I think the essence is in the shots and in the feel. Complicated rules may be fun for some times, but once you learned some deep machines, you realize that the essence of pinball is instead feel, art, shots, music, no matter if rules are deep or not. And in this regards 1980/1994 games are way better. Reagrding music, even an early SS can be more inspired than a new machine with stereo hi-fi soundtrack from a shallow tasteless movie. In the end even in a small colletion you want some variety, but I greatly favour feel over rules.
    In this regard I do not favour much also WPC95 machines (especially at those prices): B/W not only started dropping certain quality of materials, but also started using uninspired simplistic art, and giving the end product a more commercial, teenagerish, tasteless feel. Stern then greatly worsened this trend, and now we have those plastic looking, deeply coded, tasteless machines with no soul and no art.

#177 7 years ago
    Quoted from Luppin:

Space Station my other favourite System 11, amazing too!
    About new Stern really dont like the art and the feel. Surely good and deep code, but after playing pinball for long enough I think the essence is in the shots and in the feel. Complicated rules may be fun for some times, but once you learned some deep machines, you realize that the essence of pinball is instead feel, art, shots, music, no matter if rules are deep or not. And in this regards 1980/1994 games are way better. Reagrding music, even an early SS can be more inspired than a new machine with stereo hi-fi soundtrack from a shallow tasteless movie. In the end even in a small colletion you want some variety, but I greatly favour feel over rules.
    In this regard I do not favour much also WPC95 machines (especially at those prices): B/W not only started dropping certain quality of materials, but also started using uninspired simplistic art, and giving the end product a more commercial, teenagerish, tasteless feel. Stern then greatly worsened this trend, and now we have those plastic looking, deeply coded, tasteless machines with no soul and no art.

I think Met, GB and now AS have a better art package than most B/W pins. Met and GB feel better to me than say NGG ever did. I've been playing pins since the 80s and most don't hold a candle to what is out now.

I'm not sure what you mean by "feel" and "soul". Your top rated pin is The Shadow. Are you saying it has better art, soul and feel for example than LOTR, TSPP or Met?

#178 7 years ago

I really like TS because it is a very hard game with great shots. It never gets old. You really need excellent skills to do well, all shots are diffucult there. I also set up the software in a way its constantly engaging:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-luppin-rules

When I talk about great art I refer mainly to early SS machines mainly (Xenon, Farfalla, Centaur.. in a totally different league art-wise compared to later machines - those are real artworks). I favour by far original themes, not a fan really of Hollywood licences. Actually I think that a licence is cheesy itself, excluding some few exceptions. In fact, I do not think TS has good artwork. But if I have to pick licenced themes, I then favour those linked to obscure movies as TS, Congo, also BSD not such a a popular movie (and a great pinball execution).

In terms of feel, I refer to the B/W feel: the flippers, the build of the machine... I know, maybe we are just used to that, but I love it.

For the music: again, I love the attitude, not really the quality of the music, stereo, hi-fi, and so on.. Some new machines have tracks taken from a movie in cd quality. So what? I can prefer early SS simple, ethereal, magic, metaphisical sounds.. each linked to a spinner or a target... it's so beautiful when you get used to it (it took some time to me too). Listening to the same fully fledged movie soundtrack it's nice at first, but it can get old. Think the animations on Pin2K: see them three times and then you want to puke when you see them again. Or I also love some stuff in System 11: the glorious Swords of Fury music, legendary! Or Space Station minimalist classy soundtrack: so beautiful and NEVER gets old.

You see? It's exactly all the oppposite of what new Sterns looks, sounds and feels like. I do not deny that there are beautiful games made recently, for sure! But they just have less fascination on me. But I admit that part of my interest and love in pinball is the link to the memories of 2/3 decadeds ago, so a new machine cant bring that by definition.

#179 7 years ago

Ok. I would add that the pins of the 80s and 90s were designed mainly to do one thing...Extract money from people on route quickly and efficiently. I would argue today's pins are much more geared to the home collector. The deeper rule set is a reflection of the designers belief in the customers overall increased complexity. To me that is more soulful and less commercial than days of yore.

#180 7 years ago
    Quoted from Hawkeyepin:

Ok. I would add that the pins of the 80s and 90s were designed mainly to do one thing...Extract money from people on route quickly and efficiently. I would argue today's pins are much more geared to the home collector. The deeper rule set is a reflection of the designers belief in the customers overall increased complexity. To me that is more soulful and less commercial than days of yore.

Where now they want a lot more money but just in one shot

People who don't get the feel of a machine having soul just don't get it. It is not just the mechanics of the game it is the emersion into the game. This is why Addams is so beloved. The way the machine ties the sights and sound with the game play. Like séance mode. You get the sounds effects, the call out "knock three times", the fight against the magnet [with sound effects] and when you make the ramp you get rewarded with a [physical] knocker jolting the cabinet. Everything about it feels good.

I'll put the feel of playing Diner or Taxi against the feel of newer games like TWD. I love the show and the whole zombie genre, but are telling me when you play that game you feel like you are fighting the walkers? Are you in the show? Is the game talking to you and pulling you in or are you just shooting mechanically to start the next mode.

#181 7 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

I'll put the feel of playing Diner or Taxi against the feel of newer games like TWD. I love the show and the whole zombie genre, but are telling me when you play that game you feel like you are fighting the walkers? Are you in the show? Is the game talking to you and pulling you in or are you just shooting mechanically to start the next mode.

So when you play Taxi and Diner you feel like ur driving a Taxi and making food for people? TWD has a lot of soul, the start of Siege is quite engaging and as you progress through the modes things get pretty intense, not to mention the superior sound and light show which only adds to that soul, I do understand what u mean, there is something about the 80's and 90's B/W games that is special, for me its the fact that I was a kid when they were in the arcades, but as much as I liked Addams Family when it came out its feels dated now to me.

#182 7 years ago
    Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

I think your instincts are spot on.
    B/W was the Renaissance of pinball.2 giants combine all talent and resources to build the standard which EVERY pinball machine after has been measured against.
    Stern games are Data East pins from the 90s,which was always considered less than B/W.Somehow they cost 8k now.
    So for 8k you get a Data East pin with incomplete software, or you could buy a complete B/W and own a true classic piece of pinball history.

I don't think George Gomez worked for Data East, do you?

#183 7 years ago

As long as this conversation is still relevant, I love older games for their unbridled character and charm. They've got an illustrious past of being creative for the sake of trying new things. They weren't hindered by contractual obligations to portray certain intellectual properties a certain way. Creative liberties were abound, and I think that made the whole experience of playing them more fulfilling.

#184 7 years ago
    Quoted from Hawkeyepin:

Ok. I would add that the pins of the 80s and 90s were designed mainly to do one thing...Extract money from people on route quickly and efficiently. I would argue today's pins are much more geared to the home collector.

Don;t worry Gary figured that out to and dumped GB on us...that'll burn through them dollar bills.

EDIT: Also, play any 90s W/B and compare the extra ball count to now.

#185 7 years ago

Interesting thread; I was drawn into pinball collecting by the Sterns of 5 years ago; the flash of them, the beautiful powder coats on the LE's, and the dazzle of the LED's. But now I find myself really digging the 90's B/W pins.

I think the parallel here is the same as with video games; games in the 80's and 90's in arcades had to be easy to pick up and learn, but hard to master, and overall addictive to play. 90% of the video games that are released nowadays, especially the AAA mindset of most studios, are way too complicated to play; there are 10 buttons on a controller with two sticks, and by the time you end up learning how to really play it, it loses you with mundane tasks.

Very much like most sterns, hit this flashing light, then that one, then the other one...It all becomes so boring, never really natural flows into a game task. And definitely doesn't clearly become obvious from game 1, like say T2 does. In T2, it's shoot left/right ramp, or go for that drop target under skull, load cannon and there you go.

I think that's overall complexity is now becoming a key detractor to me, while Stern games can definitely be very fun, they lack that ease of getting into them that embodies the golden age of the arcades. To me, at this point, whether it's an Arcade game, console game or a pin; I judge it purely off of gameplay, that a big part of that is ease of getting into, difficulty in mastering, and overall addictive-ness to it that draws you back in.

#186 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Don;t worry Gary figured that out to and dumped GB on us...that'll burn through them dollar bills.
    EDIT: Also, play any 90s W/B and compare the extra ball count to now.

That's true. GB has its flaws but it's pretty cool. Lots of people bought it so now Stern can fund more games. It's still not as many dollars as say AFM/CV/TOTAN.

#187 6 years ago
    Quoted from Hawkeyepin:

That's true. GB has its flaws but it's pretty cool. Lots of people bought it so now Stern can fund more games. It's still not as many dollars as say AFM/CV/TOTAN.

Gb premiums are more than you can get afm , totan and cv......

#188 6 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

Gb premiums are more than you can get afm , totan and cv......

He didn't say premiums?

#189 6 years ago

All these licensed games bring less entertainment to me coz there are less surprising.
    I recognize the code of newer game are deeper and better in an home use environment. I also like to play some of them too. But it depends on the day feeling, I'm more casual player and prefer the atmosphere of b/w, especially with humorous sounds and callout. It is the reason why I came back and bought some Williams pins and I added 2 deep rules games.
    However I love to mod my old pins to give them a second youth, I discover them again.

#190 6 years ago

In the end it is a question of taste: there is good taste and bad taste

I mean, I think at pinball as an overall multi-sensorial experience, similar in a way to cinema. Enjoying a movie is very much linked to the cultural level of a person. People with lower education enjoy simple, sfx rich, Hollywood movies. Educated people prefer independent movies, without many sfx but with a spirit, a soul. Of course the first group of people perceive the Hollywood movies as full of soul too (sometimes actually also the second group can appreciate those same movies - even with sfx and big budgets it can happen). But I think it's impossible to explain to a person of the first group why a movie from the second group can be so amazing, without bells and whistles, amazing sfx, and so on.. It's a cultural process of development.

I think that this discussion about the B/W vs. Stern "touch" is not only related to gameplay, but about the overall multisensorial package. A cultured person can understand why a movie with low budget can be much more visually and mentally amusing than a mega budget new Hollywood commercial movie. It's about taste, small subtle elements that bring joy and surprise, etc...

A pattern looks to me happened in many different fields over the last decades: the artistic quality and "soul" dropped and has been replaced with an ultra technical, cold approach. Lots of quantity produced with the help of software/code, but less space left for the human side of the art.

Now, I am not saying that the Stern lovers are only people with a lower level of culture: probably its just a group of people that focus mainly on the rules of the game, on scores, on number of features, perfection of the code, complexity of the game.
    B/W lovers tend to focus also on the historical meaning of a machine, on some elements of the art (for older machines), on simplicity (less is more) as a link to a time when the world was simpler and better and more joyful... and many other similar elements. For me it's like that. It's similar to play vinyl/cd vs. mp3. I love holding a vinyl, letting it go all the way without skipping, smelling it, etc.. as opposite as bulimically skip trough thousands of mp3 without really LISTEN to them with the heart.

Early SS: vinyl '90 B/W: cd
    Stern: mp3 (in the best lossless format )

Note: what written above does not apply to WPC95 machines! (I see them as in between the two groups)
    Note2: sorry for my english, I am from Italy!

#191 6 years ago

This is stupid, I need to play 90's dmds and Sterns both 80's style and newest releases, Data East and Sega have there place, I need system 11's and Gottliebs of all kinds, I don't care who makes them, yeah 90's B/W have a special feel because that was a special time in pinball but they lack in areas that Stern shines in and that's great, now we have LCD displays, a display in the PF, better sound systems, deeper rules but like films and music we have lost the cheese of the 80's and 90's and that's sad, I grew up with that cheese and couldn't be happier that I did but I wouldn't want replica's of those games, I would like a Darryl Hannah replicant standard pleasure model however.

cb2ca5774f57d7998864ec7fe25858b5 (resized).jpgcb2ca5774f57d7998864ec7fe25858b5 (resized).jpg

#192 6 years ago

Well, I also think a mix is better. But here we are discussing what we prefer among the mix.

#193 6 years ago

#194 6 years ago

I think a lot has a lot to do with remembering games when you were a kid. It brings back happy memories and sometimes your brain can add details and emotions to those memories.

If you grew up in the future and the arcade down the street had a Ghostbusters and you played it all the time when you were a kid than that same game may provide those same happy memories when you are older and the 'new' games mate seem souless

#195 6 years ago

B/W have more polish but lack the technology of the newer games. They created the mold of contemporary machines. I think JJP has been the next evolution with the RBG inserts lcd screen and bringing back stereo (props to DE for being the first).

#196 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mfsrc791:

I think a lot has a lot to do with remembering games when you were a kid. It brings back happy memories and sometimes your brain can add details and emotions to those memories.
    If you grew up in the future and the arcade down the street had a Ghostbusters and you played it all the time when you were a kid than that same game may provide those same happy memories when you are older and the 'new' games mate seem souless

I think this is partially true. In my case, it may apply to some '90 machines. But I was very small when early SS were around, and never played them. My memories are almost non-existent regarding those machines. But now I love some of them: how beautiful they look and also the simple, but amazing, engaging gameplay. I actually prefer their gameplay over the ultra complicated rules of new machines.

#197 6 years ago

80' Mood Centaur Fathom Medusa. If newer machines had that it would be perfect but anyway they are fun as hell.

2 weeks later
    #198 6 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

I see you already have an Earthshaker. But your list is missing Diner and Taxi.
    Edit: Sorry to repeat myself. I see I already mentioned them 6 month ago

I like Taxi a lot, and have never played a Diner. However, my list was slanted toward my personal favorites. I'd take a Taxi or Diner in a heartbeat if I could buy one for a good price near me, though.

#199 6 years ago

I own a taxi and have been looking for a diner for some time now. Some of the best Williams games ever made.

There are 199 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bw-vs-newer-machines/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.