(Topic ID: 166367)

B/W vs newer machines

By Luppin

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cb2ca5774f57d7998864ec7fe25858b5 (resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    2724125_(resized).jpg
    thumbnail_FullSizeRender_(resized).jpg
    SP2_(resized).jpg
    12_(resized).jpg
    3pRsjdA_(resized).jpg
    CAM01986.jpg
    There are 199 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 7 years ago

Wow!!!!
    Lots of opinions both ways!!!!

Quoted from Taxman:I think the word is "sterile". Newer games are geared towards learning the rules and mechanically working through them. I don't want this, this is the reason I prefer pinball over video games. You almost don't need a theme.
    The golden age had heart and feeling. You get immersed in the game and feel what you are playing. The music, call outs, dots are tightly coupled to get your heart pumping and pull you into the game.

I'd rather blast through drops then unravel the rules.Its beautiful when the 2 come together.

#52 7 years ago
    Quoted from freakandgeek:

Owned both and trust me RBION is not even in the same league as TWD Premium. Get the TWD and you will thank me later.

I love them both. I had at least an hour long session not too long ago with RBION trying to get all of the Ripley letters. I couldn't do it but I was really into it. That game is really fun.

That's one criticism I have of some games new and old. Games that just say shoot the ramp or shoot the scoop or collect the letters are lacking in imagination. Mary Shelley's Frankenstein is a big offender of this.

#53 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I think most have a filter, no? I know my ACDC has two settings for the callouts, so there shouldn't be any worries with the kiddies around.

I think the general message that Hell's cool might not be a preferred theme for kids.

#54 7 years ago

The one thing I do hate about sterns is the cheapness feel of the flippers in comparison to bally / williams, and the hum it makes when you hold the flipper buttons. However I enjoy the gameplay on certain games ( ie Met , Tron . X-men, star trek and twd ). Early SS titles I prefer Ballys over williams as you can tell from my wishlist ( the games i would like and can't afford to have list )

#55 7 years ago

Stern modes definitely feel sort of Data East-y and generic, almost like there's a disconnect between the playfield action and what's happening in the "game" (on the DMD). That's why Addams Family is so appealing, all the parts of the table correspond to a section of the house, which contributes to the exploratory theme. I just don't get that as much with, say, Star Trek, where I feel like I'm hitting shots just because the machine says so.

Quoted from cody_chunn:

I think the general message that Hell's cool might not be a preferred theme for kids.

Nonsense, hell is totally in right now. Hail satan!

#56 7 years ago

They both have their pros and cons and I like them both for similar and different reasons. there is no right or wrong answer. Hey, it's only pinball!

#57 7 years ago

--that feeling ya get when you turn on one of your favorites and its been awhile...and then put up really good game (mileage does vary).
    222m on I500 is a good game for me.
    "That driver took a wrong turn Paul !"

#58 7 years ago

Have had MET for a month, played Mustang about 4 times, Indy 500 once.
    All spare time jammin on Metallikra.
    Spread the love Sunday !
    Chairs !

#59 7 years ago

I was a Stern hater, but they have put out a consistent run of fun to play games that stand the test of time.

Life is too short to be a hater.

#60 7 years ago

One other aspect that goes a long way for me is reliability. Charm and nostalgia don't amount to much when there are endless problems. I know some guys like fixing pins but I much rather be playing.

#61 7 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

I live in Jersey. The kids around here already know what Hell is.

#62 7 years ago
    Quoted from trunchbull:

almost like there's a disconnect between the playfield action and what's happening in the "game" (on the DMD).

Have you seen Horde on TWD? Classic, tense, and great interaction with the DMD. One of my favourite modes of all time.

#63 7 years ago
    Quoted from smokedog:

Have you seen Horde on TWD? Classic, tense, and great interaction with the DMD. One of my favourite modes of all time.

I'd like to, and TWD seems to show a lot of promise but man, I've put a lot of quarters into that game and I just can't seem to get anywhere.

#64 7 years ago

I've had games come and go but Met keeps pulling me back in.

#65 7 years ago

Stern makes some really fun games, they just aren't part of my collection. The high cost will keep them that way.

#66 7 years ago

A 272m game on I500. MET is improving my skills (or lack thereof). My best -518m...not even 4th place. Suck it Violent Steve.
    This machine has been a tank for the 3 years that I've owned it. Wish I could afford a line of B/W's.
    But that MET though...

#67 7 years ago

Oops. Forgot...it was 516 and VS got the mf'n boot.
    CAM01986.jpgCAM01986.jpg
    Took me over 2 years to put my initials on my own damn machine.

#68 7 years ago

Damn I miss my I500! If your a racing fan that game is a must have!

#69 7 years ago

I grew up literally on track property. So my whole life I heard Tom Carnegie on the PA for the entire month of May. My 1st pin, and the only one I'll never (say never) sell. Saving to restore it.

#70 7 years ago

Something to consider.

At least you can find game specific parts for B/W games even though they are in many cases over 25+ years old. Try finding game specific parts for games made by Stern from 1999-2009. For the most part, they no longer exist, including boards.

#71 7 years ago

Are B/W games better? Maybe. It was a different era. Machines were made to be routed. Few people on location would have gotten to Valinor (LoTR), Portal (Tron), or even Pretzel multiball (TSPP). They may be "sturdier", but they also have a lot of electrical problems that newer Stern games do not have. Rule sets needed to be simpler. I don't understand the need for constant comparison. Stern has made a lot of really good and fun games. I suggest trying them and judge for yourself.

#72 7 years ago
    Quoted from Farmboss:

And most of all of the current themes are not family friendly. Don't want them in my house.

I feel they are too family friendly. I want more adult oriented stuff in the Stern games (nit all of them, but some of them based on R rated stuff like GoT could have been more adult oriented).

#73 7 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I feel they are too family friendly. I want more adult oriented stuff in the Stern games (nit all of them, but some of them based on R rated stuff like GoT could have been more adult oriented).

Agreed. It's a little confusing when they had TWD which had quite a bit of blood and scary imagery and GOT is a more adult show than TWD.

#74 7 years ago

I prefer B/W but I think all collections should have at least 1-2 Sterns. Big rulesets are great only if the shots are fun and the modes are different. A game that has 18 modes and all it is repeating the same 6 modes 3 times is not really deep. I think a fun and varied 7 game collection consists of 4-5 B/W 2-3 Stern/JJP.

B/W- Pick 4 or 5 from TZ, IJ, MM, Creature, BSD, WH2O, TS, TAF , or AFM

Stern- Pick 2 or 3 from- MET, TWD, LOTR, WOZ/ TH, OR GB

Now it is a pricey collection but a great one.

My choice would be TZ, IJ ,WH2O, BSD, AND LOTR ( I already have these ) I would add METand TWD to get to 7

#75 7 years ago
    Quoted from wolfy:

I think a fun and varied 7 game collection consists of 4-5 B/W 2-3 Stern/JJP.

Outstanding analysis, but I think I would flip the numbers between B/W and Stern just a little bit, as a superb collection must have a very fast, short game like either Tron or IM (in my humble opinion, of course) and have a little more balance. My seven would include 3 or 4 of the following: MET, TWD, LOTR, SM, IM, Tron, etc. Then 2 or 3 of: MB, AFM, MB, WH20, TZ, IJ, etc). That would be followed by 1 of either a JJP, DP, or other manufacturer pin such as: TBL, WOZ, Hobbit, Full Throttle, etc).

#76 7 years ago

As a software developer myself, I have to chime in that I too think it's the software. Games are up against an ever-increasing slope of requirements of complexity/coolness/visual eye candy/take your pick.

Once hardware requirements are in place, the software has to be developed... then the hardware doesn't work as expected/simulated, and the software has to be rewritten. God forbid someone leaves the company in the middle of a game's development cycle (that *never* happens, right?). Software is incredibly hard in even the best of circumstances - and I believe - apologies to the electrical engineers of the site - that software has an even steeper hill to climb because most people 'get' how hard it is to physically make a piece of hardware do something... but they do not 'get' that making software do something similar is almost as difficult, so you have this perception issue. People are way harder on software in terms of expectations.

That said, B/W all the way! (lol)

#77 7 years ago

I like both. Maybe they are a little less willing to take a risk on a game now that sales are a fraction of what they were in the 1990s. That's okay. Modern Stern and other newcomers in the last few years have made some amazing, complex and very enjoyable games.

Look at a WOZ or STLE. Just two examples of very different games, both magnificent in their own way.

#78 7 years ago

You know stern has some top secret wide body shit goin on in that secret room...

#79 7 years ago

This is the David Lee Roth vs. Sammy Hagar of pinball, a discussion that shall never be settled.

#80 7 years ago

They're fun as long as they're 18 or older and show an serial number tag to prove it before you begin?

#81 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This is the David Lee Roth vs. Sammy Hagar of pinball, a discussion that shall never be settled.

That's an easy one - DLR

#82 7 years ago

Thanks for all inputs. In the end I think my perception was fine. Althouh modern Sterns are refined machines software-wise, I personally choose a pinball machine for its feeling, above all. B/Ws are also fine software-wise anyway, and that classic flipper feeling, better art and overall magic get my preference, no doubt. And those machines are cheaper than Stern. So it's an easy choice. I don't think I would ever pay 8k for a pinball machine, not even for my holy grail. And for sure not for a machine without that special magic feeling.

#83 7 years ago

I think Stern have been hampered somewhat by license restrictions and license choice over the years which has somewhat limited the creative juices and the ability to create those manic moments everyone above eludes to. Also if you hear any Garry Stern speech, Stern is foremost a manufacturing company. A company ethos driven by manufacturing rather then creativity probably also limits designers.

For my two cents I have taken a change to my collection lately, keeping two B/W that mean the most to me as collector, AF(wife's favourite) & AFM (mine) selling down my other titles, and just having one new Stern in rotation every year or so. I think this will work best for me, always keeping the collection fresh and best of both worlds.

Also don't dismiss spending 8k on a machine if you can afford 2 x $4000 machines or even 3x $2500 machines you can get more fun and enjoyment out of a single $8000 machine if it is the right one for you. Quantity is not always the same as quality ask anyone collector with multiple machines and there is always 1 or 2 in the lineup that get very little attention.

#84 7 years ago

Funny thing is I felt that way at one time also..... Now I dont have a single BW game in my collection. This coming from a person that is almost 50.

#85 7 years ago

Bally Williams are the classic cars of pinball. All around great. Obviously they can't compare to modern games in certain regards especially in terms of software. But all things considered they are fantastic and the standard of the current pinball era. They are the long term keepers and the games worth "pimping out." Aesthetically they blow newer games out of the water.

With Stern and Jersey Jack there are lots of fun to be had, but at the end of the day they aren't long term keepers. You hit em and quit em. Experience the best of them to the fullest, then sell for something else. Great games to have on a steady rotation to always have something new to play.

#86 7 years ago

Cargument!!!!

Pretty hard to compare pins to cars in this case. 20 years later b/w games are still plentiful and working hard in daily, public use. A much higher percentage than cars I believe, where "classic" examples generally only see the light of day at shows and on Sundays.

#87 7 years ago

The original post talked about the "feel" - agree completely. Although I have pins from other eras (no Sterns currently) - the B/W games flippers, pop bumpers, jets, etc... just feel and sound better than most of the newer machines (perhaps JJP excepted). I have enjoyed Sterns (esp. IM) but there is just something satisfying about the way a B/W operates. Code is another subject.

#88 7 years ago

For the money the new games sell for, we should expect high levels of quality in all areas design, code, sound, art etc. This should be just as good or better than what has come before. I really like how TWD plays, but the lack of custom speech from the cast is unacceptable. Imagine if Stern had given that the STTNG treatment. Could have been one of the best ever.

#89 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I think it's more like green vs red as a favorite color choice. Everything based on "feel" and "magic", which is fine and all, but completely subjective and without any substantive debatable content.

#90 7 years ago
    Quoted from Strange:

Bally Williams are the classic cars of pinball.

Oh boy.

The real classic cars of pinball:

3pRsjdA_(resized).jpg3pRsjdA_(resized).jpg

(I'll (very shortly after) edit in some woodrails for those guys too, although not my personal favorite)

12_(resized).jpg12_(resized).jpg

Here comes the next debate.

#91 7 years ago

I find myself liking games of different eras at different times. Sometimes I am on a 1990's B/W kick, other times it is new sterns or 80's games. All are fun all the time, but my mood and preferences change over the years. Which is great as it keeps me cycling games and looking for another one to swap in/out.

#92 7 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Something to consider.
    At least you can find game specific parts for B/W games even though they are in many cases over 25+ years old. Try finding game specific parts for games made by Stern from 1999-2009. For the most part, they no longer exist, including boards.

Unless you contact stern. I have had the most obscure parts and stern always still has them. I'm sure you can just as easily contact Williams...

#93 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Oh boy.
    The real classic cars of pinball:

(I'll (very shortly after) edit in some woodrails for those guys too, although not my personal favorite)

Here comes the next debate.

I'm sure if anyone comes to your place to play, they will all just be lined up on that black box that is sitting between canteen and kill pool.

#94 7 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

I'm sure if anyone comes to your place to play, they will all just be lined up on that black box that is sitting between canteen and kill pool.

Space in the basement is tight, not wasting any spaces for that

#95 7 years ago

I like pinball. Used to be a B/W guy. Now I like both Stern and B/W. Just never pass up a chance to play pinball, and your good to go. There's "magic" in every machine. You don't have to be committed to B/W. They won't break up with you.

#96 7 years ago
    Quoted from ianwho:

I like pinball. Used to be a B/W guy. Now I like both Stern and B/W. Just never pass up a chance to play pinball, and your good to go. There's "magic" in every machine. You don't have to be committed to B/W. They won't break up with you.

Sure. Because they've been dead for 15 years.

#97 7 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

between canteen and kill pool.

LOL. It's Skill Pool.

#98 7 years ago
    Stern modes definitely feel sort of Data East-y and generic, almost like there's a disconnect between the playfield action and what's happening in the "game" (on the DMD). That's why Addams Family is so appealing, all the parts of the table correspond to a section of the house, which contributes to the exploratory theme. I just don't get that as much with, say, Star Trek, where I feel like I'm hitting shots just because the machine says so.

Data Easty fo sho!!!!

#99 7 years ago

I don't care when the game was made or who made it. As long as it kicks my ass and has me coming back afterward, I'm interested.

#100 7 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

LOL. It's Skill Pool.

SP2_(resized).jpgSP2_(resized).jpg

There are 199 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bw-vs-newer-machines/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.