Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by MXV
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

shadowproto.png

#1 6 years ago

I have always been fascinated with learning what features of each Bally or Williams pins of the Dmd era never made it to the regular production games. List the differences of each game that you are aware of. Let's start with T2 and work all the way to Cactus Canyon.

#2 6 years ago

Corvette - Translite - the Red Corvette had DELCO on the bumpers. Removed due to licensing.

#3 6 years ago

CV proto says "Tickle the Ringmaster"...production version says "Defeat the Ringmaster"

I believe the face was different on the proto...and can be purchased

#4 6 years ago

Road show early production (sample?) - post hole between the flippers, white shaker motor cover. On manual it states that it is Preliminary. The dozer blade is also different than the regular production one.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

CV proto says "Tickle the Ringmaster"...production version says "Defeat the Ringmaster"
I believe the face was different on the proto...and can be purchased

Correct, the ringmaster's head is noticeably skinnier in the proto version. I believe it was made thicker to fix a ball stuck problem.

#6 6 years ago

I have a proto Shadow playfield that was never used. Spot the differences

shadowproto.png
#7 6 years ago

F-14 removed flashers.
Scared Stiff - Boogie men arms, skull pile lights, glow in the dark bones.
Rollergames - Skate drop targets.
Corvette - 3 bank drop targets.

#8 6 years ago

This is from memory so there may be some errors/ommisions:

Corvette: Drop target costed out
Monster Bash: Screened Cabinets with different color scheme, skip ramp in front of Frankenstein (non operational)
AFM: Hinged lightbox door in head vs. tub, eyes in translite not transparent,dome on mother saucer translucent white rather than green, insert for USA is Washington monument rather than Statue of Liberty, DMD panel not injection molded, some ball traps were fixed upon production, rubber martians hand painted "corn" details
MM: Cabinet with different color scheme, blue outlines on playfield, no split ramps, different gate on catapult, more detailed wings on dragon
Shadow: Pearl handled gun, buy-in button
CC: Lit badguys drop targets. They experimented with amber transparent drop targets, but these broke too easily, some protos had hand painted sculpted plastics.
SS: (see Robert Winter's website) A few cabinets do not have RRR scratched out, inkwashed glow in the dark bones, lane guides and globe holders, Cassandra Peterson's husband is not pictured on the playfield, other insert differences
TOM:raise magic post target rather than "poof" target. Operational magic post between flippers.
Rollergames: Skate drop targets on 1 of the protos
STTNG: Larger neutral zone hole, Custom speech on games delivered to cast
Demo Man: Custom speech on games delivered to cast
Safecracker: Reed switches rather than physical switches
Whitewater: Blue river inserts
Twilight zone: (see Ted Estes' article) Third spiral magnet, No text on mini playfield, Posts and rubber in jet bumper area, Many differences even between proto versions, different clock decals, different text on inserts, lock insert green rather than white, platform leg levelers in the back of the cabinet
Earthshaker: sinking building
Funhouse: STEPS inserts were changed to STEP when Mark Ritchie complained that one of the shots was too tight
IJ: metal rails on Path of Adventure, lost plastic, lightboard behind awards in the backbox, I believe there is a difference related to the buttons on the front of the cabinet
TOTAN: Flying carpet is misspelled
Whirlwind: Boy on man's shoulder is wearing a Chicago Cubs cap. This was covered over on sample games with a round williams logo and ultimately changed on the translite.
Taxi: Marilyn vs Lola versions
Indy 500: Purple playfield color was eliminated at request of European Distributors
WCS94: Cabinet artwork and playfield artwork differences
Getaway: Many of the inserts are unlabeled
Fishtales: lighted button on launch button
Radical: VUK in the upper left hand corner
RFM: Different colors on playfield, Draino insert changed to avoid trademark infringment
SWE1: Jar Jar saucer
Thunderball: A Mark Ritchie game that was never produced
Ramp Warriors: never produced, later released as Truck Stop
Wizard Blocks: never produced
Playboy: never produced

And outside of the B/W family, some notable protos:
POTO: A couple of these were outfitted by Bose with large subwoofers for tradeshows to highlight the sound system
King Kong
Kingpin
Big Bang Bar
Krull
Loch Ness Monster
Kelly Packard's Golden Cue

Many of the above games will be available for play at the Play Your Heart Out event in Orange County, CA on 3/22 to raise money for Python.

steve

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from pinsane:

IJ: metal rails on Path of Adventure, lost plastic, lightboard behind awards in the backbox, I believe there is a difference related to the buttons on the front of the cabinet

Correct. There is no extra ball button.
Also text on friends inserts is different. Sallah=Sulla, Dr. Jones = Dad .

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from pinsane:

This is from memory so there may be some errors/ommisions:

A few more:

Shadow: Very early protos had powdered coated armor and legs like Corvette, but closer to the classics Stern gray color.
Jackpot: Horrible visor saucer design and clear arrows inserts above the "grid"
Getaway: Protos had different front cabinet. Had a ignition key for the start button and headlamp graphics in place of "Getaway" on front bottom
Earthshaker: Cabinet was a much lighter blue
Champion Pub: Some insert differences, color differences and something is different about the "plinko" area in the lower right (I forget what)
Demo man : No text on captive car shot, just three yellow inserts.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Zaxxis:

I have a proto Shadow playfield that was never used. Spot the differences

shadowproto.png 1.3 MB

Wow, there are so many differences. Missing inserts, extra inserts, switches in different places, mongols inserts moved, on and on. Would love to see more pics of the entire playfield.

Thanks,
Tim

#12 6 years ago

Dirty Harry: drop-target in front of the warehouse.
Doctor Who: moving Dalek on top of the backbox.

Brad

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from rygar:

Road Show early production (sample?) - post hole between the flippers, white shaker motor cover. On manual it states that it is Preliminary. The dozer blade is also different than the regular production one.

I also have seen the lockdown bars and siderails painted the same color as the legs on early units, looked great. Ill dig and see if I can locate a picture.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Corvette - Translite - the Red Corvette had DELCO on the bumpers. Removed due to licensing.

I think I remember Loyd or somebody saying that Corvette used a 4speed like shifter mounted to it!!?!? Someone pipe in to confirm.

#15 6 years ago

Junkyard from what I have read had a magnet under the crane wrecking ball in the the samples.

#16 6 years ago

Just had my first cup of coffee and realized I forgot to mention

Red Line Fever: never produced

and 2 Python gems:

Zingy Bingy: never produced
Pinball Circus: never produced

I hang my head in shame for forgetting to mention the Python games…...

Zaxxis, that playfield is awesome!!! Do you have any pictures of the early shadow protos with the powder coated armor?

steve SDTM

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from pinsane:

Zaxxis, that playfield is awesome!!! Do you have any pictures of the early Shadow protos with the powder coated armor?

Nope. It's been 6+ years ago since I've seen it.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from bjoechamp:

I think I remember Loyd or somebody saying that Corvette used a 4speed like shifter mounted to it!!?!? Someone pipe in to confirm.

Correct and you can see the prototype here: http://www.pinrepair.com/wms/corvette.htm

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from bjoechamp:

I also have seen the lockdown bars and siderails painted the same color as the legs on early units, looked great. Ill dig and see if I can locate a picture.

Yes, I have forgot about that. The pic is here: http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1972&picno=4541

#20 6 years ago

Rygar thanks for the picture, that looks so nice to me!!

Quoted from rygar:Yes, I have forgot about that. The pic is here: http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1972&picno=4541

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

Dirty Harry: drop-target in front of the warehouse.
Doctor Who: moving Dalek on top of the backbox.
Brad

And I should correct myself on both of these, as they made it to early but not regular production machines.

Brad

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from Zaxxis:

Nope. It's been 6+ years ago since I've seen it.

One of these days I'll snap a picture of mine. I have a proto Shadow with those coated legs and lockdown bar. It looked so much nicer than the standard ones that were on production games. Other differences were a different colored drop target for battlefield entrance and the plastic shroud surrounding battlefield is clear on the proto vs. black on production.

#23 6 years ago

On RFM there's a lot of insert differences in both wording and positioning for the mode inserts. The production games also added two additional spotlights that weren't in the protos.

Proto CFTBL - kiss lane inserts are red with white letters (and look way better), different color snack bar target inserts, different wording on plastic ramp entrance sign (corrected with a decal over the plastic), black flippers w/yellow rubbers, twisty ramp chase lights pop up through holes in ramp instead of being covered, different art in speaker grills.

Proto FH - STEPS (P removed and filled with a plug) award plastics on the STEPS ramp has different awards not matching what's actually in the game, playfield was diamondplated.

#24 6 years ago

IJ Sample game - no buy in button, jackpot lights in speaker panel, lost plastic on game, metal rails on POA, some minor insert differences (like super jackpot)

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from Zaxxis:

Jackpot: Horrible visor saucer design and clear arrows inserts above the "grid"

Ugh, let me clear this up.

Jack-Bot. Not Jackpot. The saucers aren't THAT bad, if you don't like them I guess you don't like Pinbot or Space Shuttle either since they have the same style saucers. Later games moved to a half hole/half scoop+VUK type deal. Earlier runs had COLORED arrow inserts, later ones had clear inserts. Earlier left ramp sign was baby blue with simpler art, later sign was black with fancier purple art.

I have a manual that says "preliminary" on it, but oddly enough, it shows the VUK+Scoop design, and not the saucers! Explain THAT one!

#26 6 years ago

Jackbot proto had the same saucers but not the same flippers. The Jackbot ones were noticeably stronger which led to balls bouncing right back out of those old style saucers.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from MXV:

Jackbot proto had the same saucers but not the same flippers. The Jackbot ones were noticeably stronger which led to balls bouncing right back out of those old style saucers.

Right, but it's still not THAT much of an issue IMO. I've had mine up and running for a few weeks, it's got the saucers. Maybe the fact I have it steep as crap helps with the bounce outs a little, but it still happens fairly frequently (except for my younger kid...no idea what's up with that but they lock every time for him, go figure).

I'd love to work on a "fix" for the issue for people that have these type of Jackbots, so they can enjoy them without having to route out their playfield to install the scoops. I know people have said they have tried and tried, but I just find it hard to believe there's no viable solution. It doesn't really bother me that much...it's a great multiplayer equalizer.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Ugh, let me clear this up.
Jack-Bot. Not Jackpot. The saucers aren't THAT bad, if you don't like them I guess you don't like Pinbot or Space Shuttle either since they have the same style saucers. Later games moved to a half hole/half scoop+VUK type deal. Earlier runs had COLORED arrow inserts, later ones had clear inserts. Earlier left ramp sign was baby blue with simpler art, later sign was black with fancier purple art.
I have a manual that says "preliminary" on it, but oddly enough, it shows the VUK+Scoop design, and not the saucers! Explain THAT one!

You are correct. Thanks for correcting me. Sorry, for the brain farts, I'm a little tired from getting back from Louisville last night

I love both Pinbot and Space Shuttle, but the original saucers in the sample Jack-Bot's are not great. My buddy had a beautiful sample game and the lock rejects were extremely frustrating. Even with foam padding, it rejected like crazy. I don't know why I've never seen rejects on Pinbot or Shuttle, maybe weaker flippers due to the different era of the games?

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from Zaxxis:

I don't know why I've never seen rejects on Pinbot or Shuttle, maybe weaker flippers due to the different era of the games?

Yeah. As stated above by MXV. It's an issue, but I think people have taken the wrong approach to trying to solve it. I have an idea, but it's going to have to wait until after TPF and for me to get back on my feet financially to try to do anything with it. I have to take apart the game again later on anyways to re-clear and get plastic protectors made.

#30 6 years ago

<

Quoted from MXV:Proto FH - STEPS (P removed and filled with a plug) award plastics on the STEPS ramp has different awards not matching what's actually in the game, playfield was diamondplated.

I have seen some early funhouses with the system 11 start button as well as side rails.

#31 6 years ago

Found a really detailed difference list for T2 in a google group

-Red lamp boards
-Blue head (background is blue, instead of black)
-Yellow start button (production is white)
-White cover manual, marked 'preliminary', should the original manual
still be with the machine
-No Diamondplate
-Sys11 cab bottom - metal speaker grille sitting flat on the bottom of
the cab, no speaker mounting ring with a plastic speaker grille
-Side art is slightly different
-Speaker grilles are the WMS 'W' instead of solid red
-Shooter handle is 'sand cast', which has a slightly different, rougher
texture than production
-No decal under plastic ramp
-Insert artwork differences
-Different playfield colors, deep deep blue almost purple between the
flippers
-No artwork on the metal plate around the cannon
-Hand cut drop target mechanism with custom bracket to hold the solenoid
that 'drops' the target, wiring for said target run outside the regular
wiring loom

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from bjoechamp:

Found a really detailed difference list for T2 in a google group
-Red lamp boards
-Blue head (background is blue, instead of black)
-Yellow start button (production is white)
-White cover manual, marked 'preliminary', should the original manual
still be with the machine
-No Diamondplate
-Sys11 cab bottom - metal speaker grille sitting flat on the bottom of
the cab, no speaker mounting ring with a plastic speaker grille
-Side art is slightly different
-Speaker grilles are the WMS 'W' instead of solid red
-Shooter handle is 'sand cast', which has a slightly different, rougher
texture than production
-No decal under plastic ramp
-Insert artwork differences
-Different playfield colors, deep deep blue almost purple between the
flippers
-No artwork on the metal plate around the cannon
-Hand cut drop target mechanism with custom bracket to hold the solenoid
that 'drops' the target, wiring for said target run outside the regular
wiring loom

That's my T2

http://gallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/sample_t2_fs

Yeah, it's rough, it's ugly, but I'm not gonna part it out. The PF is too far gone for any restorer I've talked to, and the cabinet is rough, so whatcha gonna do?

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from bjoechamp:

<

I have seen some early funhouses with the system 11 start button as well as side rails.

Oh yeah, my game has those side rails, I totally forgot!

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from MXV:

Oh yeah, my game has those side rails, I totally forgot!

Do you still have the rare No Good Getaway?

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from Zaxxis:

Do you still have the rare No Good Getaway?

I do indeed! A true one of a kind! Let's not forget it has a Jackbot head so it is a No Good JackAway

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from MXV:

I do indeed! A true one of a kind! Let's not forget it has a Jackbot head so it is a No Good JackAway

Good lord lol.

#37 6 years ago

Sometimes I think I should find Getaway cabinet decals and make it look proper but then if I did that the game wouldn't be special anymore.

There was a time years ago that it also had a ST:TNG speaker panel but someone traded me a real Getaway one for it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
$ 104.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
$ 249.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Cleveland, OH
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 9.95
Machine - For Sale
West Bridgewater, MA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 79.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 98.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
£ 107.00
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 349.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Bent Mods
$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
£ 49.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys
$ 37.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside