Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by jalpert
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

redneck-tv.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

dmd inop when starting up then outside edges start working when warmed up. is this a classic outgassed dmd symptom? I assume this is terminal? i should just swap with my other wpc game but if i can conclude it's terminal, that would be better. yep, i'm lazy.

at least this isn't a pinball investment thread, right?

Post edited by davewth: clarify state of dmd function

#2 9 years ago

It's always a good excuse when that happens to buy a colorDMD

#3 9 years ago
    Quoted from jathomp22:

It's always a good excuse when that happens to buy a colorDMD

i just asked dmod about that.

so, is mine toast? I assume yes.

#4 9 years ago

Probably the HV section of the controller board. Pull a DMD from another game and see if it does the same or put this one in another game to see if it works. My guess is HV section of the DMD controller is toast and needs rebuilt.

#5 9 years ago

thanks for the tip. i swapped dmd out and that's not the issue. HV section on my board looks toasty. I will pull it out and test it, see if i have more money than time and possibly get a replacement. I know, that's the lazy way of doing things.

Thanks for saving me the money for a new dmd i didn't need.

#6 9 years ago

Here are your options in order of lower to higher cost and in order of harder to easier in terms of repair/replacement.

HV kit:
    https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=WPC-HVP-KIT

HV piggy back:
    http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2828

DMD controller replacement:
    http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=BAA&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PC-A-14039R

#7 9 years ago

thanks for the help! i might do the piggy back as i am not very handy with a soldering iron.

#8 9 years ago

I think the piggy back is a lazy way to "fix" the problem. For $60 more you can buy a new board. Also, when the next guy comes over to buy the machine, you don't have to explain your aftermarket hack, just that you replaced the dot matrix controller board.

Plus, someone on here would probably buy your original for $30 or $40 because it's a very cheap fix for someone that knows how.

Quoted from davewtf:

thanks for the help! i might do the piggy back as i am not very handy with a soldering iron.

#9 9 years ago

I agree with jalpert, buy the new board and sell your old on here on Pinside. If you ever decide to sell your machine you have a good selling point with a new board not a negative point with a piggy back board. JMHO

#10 9 years ago

I'm ok with it. wanna come over and watch some tv? in all seriousness, though, i appreciate the advice. Found someone to do the repair and am probably going to send it his way.

redneck-tv.jpgredneck-tv.jpg

#11 9 years ago

This. He'll get your old board working for probably the cost of the piggy back, and he'll probably do it on site. Once the board is rebuilt, in a home environment, it'll go virtually forever.

Quoted from davewtf:

Found someone to do the repair and am probably going to send it his way.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bw-dmd-partially-works and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.