Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by pinkid
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Im new to Pinball restoration but recently acquired a 1968 Williams Doozie Machine. Replaced some burned out coils and cleaned all the switches. However, the lock relay, and the 'Match unit' solenoids continuously buzz (jammed on) when a game is started. When a kick bumper is activated, these solenoids also continuously buzz once activated. I have to turn the machine off before they over heat. Everything else, score board, pop caps, flippers etc seem to work fine.

There is a bridge rectifier that looks like it has been added on more recently. I don't know what this is for but I heard that buzzing coils could be due to receiving the wrong current so don't know if this is the place to look?

I have run out of ideas, would be very grateful if anybody might know what could be the cause?

#2 8 years ago

The last time I had a buzzing relay like that it turned out to be a weak activator plate spring. I don't know if that is specifically the cause in your case, but might be worth looking into if any others agree.

#3 8 years ago

Normal for Lock to buzz. It stays energized as long as the machine does. The plates usually are worn underneath where it makes contact. The match unit is a different deal and something is holding it ON. Time to dig out the schematics and see what tells it to energize.

#4 8 years ago

Thanks for your replies.

It turns out the rectifier was added for some sort of free-play mod so nothing to do with the problem.

I was aware the lock relay is always driven but the buzz is considerably, unavoidably loud that cant be normal. I have disconnected this coil and closed the switches to get around the issue.

The match unit relay buzzes very loudly as soon as a game is started and after the score reel has reset to zero.

The left and right kickers wont stop buzzing after activation.

I thought these 3 issues could all be related and hence a common fix, but will go back to the schematics and try and debug further.

#5 8 years ago

The modification to the Lock relay is very common. No problem there.

The match unit steps one step when say a 10 point or 100 point or whatever value switch is closed. So probably the same problem that is keeping the kicker energized is also holding the match unit step solenoid on.

Does the score reels advance properly?

#6 8 years ago

ok thanks this helps. The score reel advances for the pop bumpers (the match unit does not step). The score reel and match unit do not advance when the kicker is activated.

#7 8 years ago

ill go back and check all the contacts on the score reel - many thanks for your help

#8 8 years ago

This is not an early SS machine. Wrong sub forum.............

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Washington, PA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buzzing-solenoids and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.