You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

AB7773DA-3E93-4B3B-8B51-603C959933FE (resized).jpeg
ball gate coil (resized).JPG
#1 3 years ago

This is on Williams Heat Wave, 1964.

The ball chute has a gate that stays open to let balls be put into play, for as long as there is no score. Once a point is scored, the solenoid turns off, closing the gate so you only get to play 5 balls.

The solenoid buzzes like crazy.

One thread says to loosen the screws, turn it on, and "re seat" it tightening the screws. That is supposed to let the plunger find its happy place. It didn't work. The screws are set in metal and screwing them back in while the thing is buzzing didn't change the angle of what they are holding in place. (Ever tried to screw in metal screws with a metal screwdriver on a powered electromagnet? Its like one of those drunk tester arcade games.)

Cleaning the plunger and the sleeve didn't help.

The plunger looks rough in the picture, but it feels smooth.

The butt end of the plunger seems level, but slightly below the casing. The stub on the stop seems slightly concave, and it is slightly below its casing.

Where do I go from here?

Thanks !

undrdog

ball gate coil (resized).JPGball gate coil (resized).JPG
#2 3 years ago

Have a look at the end of the stop where the plunger bottoms. Do you see a copper ring in there?

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Studentprince:

Do you see a copper ring in there?

There’s copper down in there, but it looks piece of copper with the button on top, rather than a ring wrapped around the button.

AB7773DA-3E93-4B3B-8B51-603C959933FE (resized).jpegAB7773DA-3E93-4B3B-8B51-603C959933FE (resized).jpeg

#4 3 years ago

A buzzing solenoid can result from a loose solenoid bracket, worn solenoid sleeve, damaged/worrn solenoid plunger, worn coil stop, loose coil stop or loose coil stop bracket. Since the original coil stop gets the most abuse, it should be the first item replaced on a buzzing solenoid unit. To find the source of the buzzing, you can always switch out parts from another solenoid unit on the machine to see if it will quiet down the buzzing sound on the solenoid unit in question.

#5 3 years ago

The copper ring is supposed to reduce buzzing. Maybe a new stop and plunger would help. A sure fire way to stop buzzing is to put a bridge rectifier in the coil circuit, with a resistor to drop the DC voltage.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from fredsmythson:

A buzzing solenoid can result from a loose solenoid bracket, worn solenoid sleeve, damaged/worrn solenoid plunger, worn coil stop, loose coil stop or loose coil stop bracket.

I traded out the coil stop for the one on the right flipper, because I was going to clean the flipper plunger & sleeve, anyway. Right away, I could see that the coil stop on the gate was worn down a lot more than the flipper one. (I'm still new at this.) Switching them out greatly reduced the buzzing. Adding washers to the gate assembly so it wasn't as loose helped, too, but it still buzzed some.

So, I guess I need a new coil stop and a sleeve and / or a plunger.

A newbie question-- what keeps the coil from coming all uncoiled when I pull out the sleeve to replace it? Its in there pretty tight and I'm scared to ruin the coil. Any tips for getting it right the first time?

undrdog

#7 3 years ago

Ordered parts from PBR. Put the gate assembly back together with the old parts until the new parts get here. No more buzzing. Turned the fool machine on and off and started a new game three times. Quiet as a mouse (almost).

Maybe I should go back to playing with Lego.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buzzing-solenoid-?hl=fredsmythson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.