• Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

KPCKYC5KQ5BZDJIQK2OJ2NHH7E (resized).jpeg
s-l500 (3) (resized).jpg
PXL_20220406_160510489 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MJW.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#22 4 years ago

Same noise issue . I took out screws and let sound board hang. Still have noise. Switched out another sound board and made sure all screws are on all boards. No success. Ground strap in cabinet is tight. Don’t know what else to try....

3 weeks later
#24 4 years ago
Quoted from wrd1972_PinDoc:

Glad i found this thread. My Grand Lizard has the screeching sound in attract mode that is completely in sync with the playfield insert lights, when they are wiping back and forth. Cant really hear it during play.
All of the screws in the boards are present. I will try cleaning the pads on the boards like vid suggested, and i will try to float the sound board too.
There is a 3 wire cable running from the bottom right of the MPU to the sound card that influences the sound. If that cable gets near the speaker or any transistors, the sound gets much louder.
Will work on it some more tomorrow.

Any progress ?

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from wrd1972_PinDoc:

Okay I "floated the board, and that created a very loud humming noise, in addition to the screeching sound. Obviously a step back, so the board got reattached.
There is a cable that runs from J16 on the main board, to J1 on the soundboard, and it plays a major roll in the volume of the screeching sound I am hearing. Again the screeching is only noticeable in attract mode as the playfield lights are wiping back and forth. It is also louder when the majority of those lights are lit.
So when this cable is moved near the speaker, or the transistors on the main board, the screeching gets much louder. So what I have done is strategically routed the cable across the main board in a manner that results in the lowest volume of screeching. So I can still hear it in attract mode, but its as quiet as I can get. I am wondering if that cable were to be lengthened, and routed in a way so it does not cross the main board, would that further reduce the volume of the screeching. If I get any time, I might try this. But thats where it stands.

Interesting. Thanks for the update. There is a guy on high speed club thread who had some success with the volume control potentiometer. He posted a video. Wire was causing humming noise. I will try both solutions and maybe shielding.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

2,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bellefonte, PA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MJW.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buzzing-light-matrix-noise-on-my-williams-system-11-fire-fixed?tu=MJW and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.