(Topic ID: 111790)

Buzzing hold relays/alternating relays etc

By Shapeshifter

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

I know there is an acceptable level of buzzing with em's but got a couple of games that are way too loud!

Hold relays particularly annoying as they buzz for whole game. Also got alternating relays on my Flipper Fair that buzz virtually the whole game as they are on most of the time. Also got an incredibly loud one on Spot A Card when pop bumpers light up.

Never tried dismantling a relay so any tips as to what to do to reduce the buzz?

Also about to do a pbr order so any stock parts that would help with this issue?

Thanks

#2 9 years ago

Replacing the coil often works pretty well. But sometimes the armature plate has such a divot in it from striking the coil that it needs replacing as well.

Sometimes you can find the same coil used in the game in another, less used function, and can try just swapping the coils. At least that helps determine if on the right path.

#3 9 years ago
    Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Replacing the coil often works pretty well. But sometimes the armature plate has such a divot in it from striking the coil that it needs replacing as well.
    Sometimes you can find the same coil used in the game in another, less used function, and can try just swapping the coils. At least that helps determine if on the right path.

Thanks - good idea re swopping coils.

I think pbr is out of armature plates unfortunately.

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Thanks - good idea re swopping coils.
    I think pbr is out of armature plates unfortunately.

Perhaps switch the plates as well with a less used one, if it's the same configuration...

#5 9 years ago

Part of it too is how the plate hits the coil, if its uneven it will buzz. filing the top of the coil is another remedy. Also a quick fix (sometimes) is using a thin tape, scotch etc on top of the coil as a bit of a cushion. Ultimately hold coils, 1st ball coils, alternating coils will probably need to be replaced.

Ken

#6 9 years ago

I use a thin piece of clear self-stick mylar from the office supply stores. I put it on the armature plate after first cleaning it off with alcohol on a cotton swab.

#7 9 years ago

Many that I've taken apart have had thin washers stuck in between the coil and the housing where the screw is. I guess this moves the coil further towards the activation plate reducing the looseness causing buzz?? It does work but not sure if it's appropriate.

#8 9 years ago

Good ideas. Would some sort of rubber work ? I haven't taken one apart yet but rubber is a good sound insulation material?

#9 9 years ago

Rubber would add too much thickness

#10 9 years ago

I found after cleaning the armature plate on an alternating relay applying a single layer of insulating tape (I think referred to in an earlier thread by MikeO) on the armature plate where it connects with the coil did the trick.

#11 9 years ago

Mr. Tesla would be proud of all this buzz....

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from jasonsmith:

Many that I've taken apart have had thin washers stuck in between the coil and the housing where the screw is. I guess this moves the coil further towards the activation plate reducing the looseness causing buzz?? It does work but not sure if it's appropriate.

Those brass washers (and the corresponding brass screws) are supposed to be there on magnet coils that don't have the full plastic bobbin. The brass isn't magnetic, so it isolates the coil from the frame. So not really a positioning thing.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buzzing-hold-relaysalternating-relays-etc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.