Buying / Trading Bang-for-Buck Pins for a 2 Pin Collection

By Bubbatom

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Hey there Pinside,

I need a bit of a hand deciding in terms of future pin purchases. Currently I own a Roadshow and while I am currently enjoying it, I feel that it isn't really a keeper for me, mostly due to the stop/start nature of the game.

Having owned a Black Rose in the past, which I felt was a bit shallow in the rules department, I always believed that a machine with a deeper ruleset would be the pin for me. While I appreciate Roadshow's deep, yet linear ruleset, I am tiring of it a tad and feel that I am drawn to the faster and more flowing pins in my price range.

Hopefully in a few months I will have the funds to get a second pin (keeping in mind the $2-3000 (Australian) price range). I am considering Johnny Mnemonic, Judge Dredd or Demolition Man and possibly The Shadow or Congo if money allows. All of these machines are decent bang-for-buck B grade games.

I'm also considering trading or selling the Roadshow when I have the money for a new pin so that I'll have two new machines, meaning I won't get tired of the new machines as fast.

I had a great deal of fun playing the JM of the guy who I sold the BR to a while back and feel that this game may have just the right amount of rules and flow. JD has been on my wanted list ever since I got into pinball, despite the fact that I've never played one. And the other three are machines that seem interesting enough, with decent rulesets and certain degree of flow.

So, I'm just wondering what you guys reckon I should do? Whether I should keep the RS and buy a new pin that will be different enough to keep me playing? Or trade/sell the RS for another pin and buy a second?

I feel as though many of you will tell me to keep the RS as I have seen a lot of similar topics that recommend RS when others are looking to buy a decent bang-for-buck machine!

#2 8 years ago

Out of the games you listed, The Shadow is the best game. I have owned mine for 15 years and would be the last game I would sell. Johnny Mnemonic is your best choice for a fast playing game. Judge Dredd is good, but plays most like Road Show out of that group. Demolition Man is great too and plays different than anything else available. Congo is the perfect game for all skill levels with great design. Really not a bad choice on your list.

#3 8 years ago

Demo man is a great game, underrated in my opinion , tons of flow. but im a huge roadshow aswell...

#4 8 years ago

If you can get past the theme...I still think WPT has the most value\depth

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from Bubbatom:

(keeping in mind the $2-3000 (Australian) price range).

Can you tell us how prices compare there? For instance how much is a nice Demo Man. How about Black Rose. Really I'm just trying to get an understanding of the price difference.

The big issue is that some of the crazy deep rule games are out of the price range. And in a collection of 1 or 2 games they will always get boring pretty quick. So that means you will be swapping them out more often no matter how great the game is.

#6 8 years ago

Go with Judge Dredd. It's affordable, you've wanted it and it's the best theme out of the bunch. Other than it being a widebody, I found very little in common with Road Show personally. JD has flow and a ton of shots. Road Show had country music, stop and go and very linear.

The other pins you mentioned are excellent titles too. If you want depth and features, save up and get TZ. Great in a small collection.

#7 8 years ago

Cheers for the input guys, I think I'm leaning towards trading the Roadshow for a Johnny Mnemonic and buying a JD or DM as well. If I found a cheap enough Shadow or Congo, I'd consider too.

Quoted from DaveH:

Can you tell us how prices compare there? For instance how much is a nice Demo Man. How about Black Rose. Really I'm just trying to get an understanding of the price difference.

Well, the BR was a $2500 pin, whereas RS was a $3500 pin. JM, DM and JD are mostly found around $3000, but I have been offered these titles for less previously. In Aus TS would be a $4000 machine and for some reason Congo goes for $5000+

#8 8 years ago

+1 for Demo Man or WCS94, two of my favorite games ever, and two fairly cheap ones. Congo is no where near a bang for buck pin anymore, maybe a few years ago, but its price has definitely caught up with how good it is.

#9 8 years ago

One recipe for a bargain pinball machine is great game play with an unpopular theme. One great example of this is Johnny Mnemonic. I struggle to think of another machine that can match the thrilling speed and flow of Johnny Mnemonic but the movie was a bomb at the box office. Someone has actually taken the effort to retheme it to The Matrix movies and it looks fantastic. It's easy to imagine that Johnny Mnemonic rethemed to The Matrix could fetch very high prices. Alas, it is a one-off and not for sale.

Another recipe for a bargain pinball machine is an acceptable theme, but with some flaw in the game play. Roadshow is a good example of this. The linear mode progression is something that can be irritating to some home environment players, as it has apparently irritated you.

The following list is a combination of both of the above and I think is a great starting point for bargain shopping. The prices are woefully out of date, but the sentiment is still true: http://gameroomblog.com/guides/the-top-ten-best-bargains-in-pinball-today

A summary of that list:
10 - Classic Sterns
9 - Johnny Mnemonic
8 - Demolition Man
7 - Jackbot
6 - Fish Tales
5 - Tales From the Crypt
4 - Judge Dredd
4 - Revenge From Mars
3 - Road Show
2 - Bram Stoker's Dracula
1 - Shadow

There's never a substitute for playing a game, but I found this Kindle book (from the same author of that blog) to be a useful reference, especially for pointing out game play flaws which are impossible to determine from casual play: http://www.amazon.com/Pinball-Book-Guide-Classic-Machines-ebook/dp/B009KZCR7U

The Matrix pinball:

#10 8 years ago

Another excellent game to consider is "Indianapolis 500". Not easy to find, but if you do should be in the Shadow / Congo price range.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 81.95
$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ
$ 63.95
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Dickinson, TX
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 22.50
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buying-trading-bang-for-buck-pins-for-a-2-pin-collection and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.