(Topic ID: 41007)

Buying surge protector for pinball machines?

By pinmister

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

97e0cc44-1b83-43ba-a413-725559441d42_3.jpg
    citty.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider minusworlds.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 11 years ago

Newbie question but is it a good idea to hook up a B/W to a surge protector? I know it's a "no no" to use an extension cord or have them on an outlet with another appliance also on it...

#8 11 years ago

B/W is Bally Williams. I'm by no means an expert on things electrical but I can tell you it's not a good idea hooking up those pins to an extension cord, hello resets...

#11 11 years ago

Unless that extension cord also happens to be a string of christmas lights.

citty.jpgcitty.jpg

#12 11 years ago

double

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

thanks for explaining the acronym...
    i can tell you that if the cord is appropriately sized (and not an excessive run), the machine has no way of knowing there is an extension cord there (even the resets don't tell you that the machine "knows" the cord is there, it's just "seeing" a power drop that is causing an issue)... an inappropriately sized cord will cause issues, no doubt... many household extension cords are 18 gauge, and that would be a big ask for any type of run... 15 amp circuits in a residential unit are wired with 14 gauge wire... and if they are done according to code, "drops" aren't an issue... if they aren't according to code, and the run is excessive, then you will see a drop (and get resets/issues) regardless of whether there is an extension cord there or not...
    similarly, other things on the same circuit can cause issues if they also are high draw units... for example, try firing up a compressor on a circuit that is running something like a vacuum cleaner as well...
    but again, none of this is unique to a pinball machine... it's all electricity 101... the device has zero way of telling what wire it's hooked up to... wire is a passive device...
    christmas tree lights aren't extension cords, and electricity 101 (again) tells us why you can only hook up so many on one circuit/connected together before you have issues...

Thanks I appreciate the knowledge drop!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider minusworlds.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buying-surge-protector-for-pinball-machines?tu=minusworlds and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.