(Topic ID: 41007)

Buying surge protector for pinball machines?

By pinmister

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

97e0cc44-1b83-43ba-a413-725559441d42_3.jpg
    citty.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ccotenj.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 11 years ago

as someone who is more into "home theater" than pinball...

whole house is the ONLY way to go, and it's cheap... it will keep "normal" spikes from getting in in the first place... against a direct lightning hit, nothing will work... keep your homeowner's insurance up to date...

point of use surge protectors border on worthless... also, do you plan on putting "protectors" on all your appliances in your house (dishwasher, washer/dryer, oven, etc.)...

frankly, the scare tactics of many years ago have made people spend money on surge protectors that they do not need...

#7 11 years ago

what is a "b/w"?

as far as extension cords go, as long as they are appropriately sized for the application, it's not relevant to the device... a device has no way of knowing that it's plugged into an extension cord vs. being plugged into a socket connected to romex... basic electicity there... note that is NOT an endorsement for permanent use of extension cords... extension cords are temporary devices, and outlets are easy enough to install...

what pinball would require a dedicated circuit? curious about that... that implies a huge draw...

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from MinusWorlds:

B/W is Bally Williams. I'm by no means an expert on things electrical but I can tell you it's not a good idea hooking up those pins to an extension cord, hello resets...

thanks for explaining the acronym...

i can tell you that if the cord is appropriately sized (and not an excessive run), the machine has no way of knowing there is an extension cord there (even the resets don't tell you that the machine "knows" the cord is there, it's just "seeing" a power drop that is causing an issue)... an inappropriately sized cord will cause issues, no doubt... many household extension cords are 18 gauge, and that would be a big ask for any type of run... 15 amp circuits in a residential unit are wired with 14 gauge wire... and if they are done according to code, "drops" aren't an issue... if they aren't according to code, and the run is excessive, then you will see a drop (and get resets/issues) regardless of whether there is an extension cord there or not...

similarly, other things on the same circuit can cause issues if they also are high draw units... for example, try firing up a compressor on a circuit that is running something like a vacuum cleaner as well...

but again, none of this is unique to a pinball machine... it's all electricity 101... the device has zero way of telling what wire it's hooked up to... wire is a passive device...

christmas tree lights aren't extension cords, and electricity 101 (again) tells us why you can only hook up so many on one circuit/connected together before you have issues...

#20 11 years ago

^^^

completely unplugged... lighting won't care whether the strip is on or off... there's about a gajillion joules of energy in a lightning strike... it won't even bother to giggle at the point of use strip, it'll pass right through that...

as noted, nothing will really work against lightning, short of unplugging the device... at least in a residential environment... it would be extremely cost prohibitive to truly "lightning proof" a residence...

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from sturner:

You guys are all scaring me.
    Would turning off the switch on the surge protector when games are not in use offer any protection? Or does the machine need to be completely unplugged?

don't be too scared though... i have enough money tied up in my theater to buy several a-list titles and still have some left over... i have full house protection at the box... and i sleep well at night...

you are probably more likely to get run over crossing the street than you are to lose your pins to a lightning strike...

and as far as whole house goes... many electrical companies will install one for you at point of entry, all you have to do is call and ask... if not, it's less than an hour labor for an electrician to install if you aren't comfortable working at the breaker box...

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from Slate:

Unplugging does nothing for appliances with a direct cut off switch.
    All pinball machines are direct cut off so when its off its unplugged. The neutral white does not open circut when off but thats connected to ground so it would never enter the house.
    And electricity will not flow down a wire with no end connection.

try that with a lightning strike and then come back and tell us how it works out...

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from Sharon:

Take whatever precautions you feel will help, when you are buying a surge protector for a television, it only has to be higher rated than the output of the TV, I would assume it's the same with anything else.

????? nope, it has nothing to do with the "output" (whatever that might be?) of a device...

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from stangbat:

Most machines have DPST switches that also cut the neutral when off. Ground is always connected. However, you are missing the point, a direct lightning strike or one very near by will jump over the contacts of a switch. It can jump over a tripped breaker. If the game is unplugged, there is no chance of this happening. Best to unplug.

Lightning doesn't obey any "Easy sacrificial appliance rules". It is strange how it acts and what it destroys, and it is indiscriminate. Best to unplug during a storm.

A surge protector is worthless in a nearby lightning strike. It will protect you from a strike further down the grid, but if the pole outside your house is hit, all bets are off. Again, unplug.
    Should I say unplug any more?

yup yup and yup... lightning won't care one bit about that switch, and it will follow multiple paths to ground... it would be nice if it followed some type of rules and took out a 100 dollar microwave instead of a $10k projector or pin...

there's really on two options when it comes to lightning... unplug or don't worry... that's about it...

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from sturner:

What does fried mean? Are we talking some minor replacement parts or basically everything in the machine being shot? That would be horrible.
    Having some electrical work done shortly and I think I'll have them install one of the home surge protectors. While I guess I can get in the habit of unplugging before a storm, I might as well step up the prevention as much as I can.

for anything electronice, it can vary, and there's a lot of variables involved... but generally speaking, it's not usually a cheap repair...

as noted earlier... there are many "not inexpensive" devices in your house that are subject to the same risk as your pins... which is why i have a whole house for anything "reasonable" and i don't worry about anything more than that... at least where i live, we have t-storms on a very regular basis in late summer... i never unplug anything... that is what homeowners insurance is for...

important note on homeowners insurance... don't just keeps receipts/pictures of your items... talk to your agent and ensure that you don't need a special rider for items of high value (and no, i'm not an insurance agent )...

#38 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pin-it:

Exactly ^^^ +1
    From flat head screws to lightning bolts.

i have a diverse set of interests...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ccotenj.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buying-surge-protector-for-pinball-machines?tu=ccotenj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.