(Topic ID: 229360)

Buying, Selling, And Owning My First Pinball Machine: Lessons Learned

By SantaEatsCheese

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I bought my first pinball machine and sold it about 10 weeks later and wanted to share some lessons learned from my experience.
I paid $2700 for my machine and sold it 10 weeks later at $2900 after investing 700 or so into it. Here is the WCS in its glory. https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive/71180

Here are the lessons learned on buying a machine.
• Be patient! You can get whatever you want at a reasonable price if you are patient. You can get that cool Last Action Hero today for $4500 shipped from Ebay, but if you wait a month and are willing to drive you can get a better example from Pinside for half price.
• If someone says a fault on the machine doesn’t effect gameplay don’t listen to them. The lights were out on the back ½ of my machine when I bought it. I guarantee I would not have been able to recoup my money if I had not fixed it. When you are buying a machine be as picky as you think somebody trying to negotiate with you to get your price down would be. You may be a nice guy but the guy you sell your machine to might not be.
• Ask them for everything they know is wrong with the machine and to highlight the downsides before you make the drive. If you drive 4 hours to get there they have you over a barrel on pricing negotiations. Agree to a price before you drive.
• Wait until a for sale ad shows up, don’t message people with the machines. That’s asking to have someone post the machine you want up for sale at a ridiculously high price.

Here are the lessons learned on owning a machine:
• Repairing and maintaining a machine is something you can do with a little bit of time and research. Light soldering is a skill you can learn from Youtube, pinside is helpful, and all manuals are available online.
• Don’t buy a replacement part until you are sure you cannot fix the original part. I bought a replacement soccer ball motor for my machine but repaired the original one before I could install the new one. After some helpful online reading,
• You don’t have to fix every little thing on your machine and if you don’t need it, don’t fix it. I spent around $100 getting the coin mechanisms on my machine and the coin door lights working. I enjoyed doing that, but would you pay an extra $100 to have the coin door lights working on a machine that’s going to stay in your basement and never take quarters?

Here are the lessons learned on selling
• List your item at a price, not as a trade. I had my machine listed for trade and got lots of offers for inferior machines over a couple of weeks, but no cash offers. The day I switched it over to a cash listing and listed that I would consider trades, I got 3 interested cash offers and a couple of trade offers. I had a first time pin buyer at my house the next day with cash, and messages on my phone asking for showings later in the week.
• Post lots of photos and make a video highlighting the pros/cons and inside/outside of your pin. I did this and had 2 of my 3 buyers comment that the reason they were choosing my pin over others was because they had a warm and fuzzy that I had disclosed everything on my machine.
• Leave a little room for negotiations, but take away with price reductions. Whoever shows up will likely try to get the price dropped a little at the last minute. I offered $50 off to use the old legs my machine came with instead of the new chrome ones I had, or $50 off to let me keep the coin mechs. I kept the coin mechs (which my sons like dropping quarters in) and the legs left with the machine.

Overall, I had a lot of fun with my machine and am on the lookout for a nice Jurassic Park at a reasonable price to replace my World Cup Soccer.

Happy Pinball Folks!

#2 5 years ago

Its great you learnt things and took the little bumps and dealt with them. All good advise for someone new. Although how you managed to sell a pin before getting another or three is a mystery few can solve.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from Jokercyclone:

Its great you learnt things and took the little bumps and dealt with them. All good advise for someone new. Although how you managed to sell a pin before getting another or three is a mystery few can solve.

Yes, and after only 10 weeks?

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Yes, and after only 10 weeks?

To be honest, World Cup Soccer was not a pin I really wanted. I picked it up because my kids liked it, it wasn't perfect, and it's mechanically simple. I really wanted to dive in with a STTNG or an Adams Family as a first pin, but thanks to the great advice on here about how hard those are to keep working, I started off with a simpler pin. If I couldn't fix up and maintain a WCS, there was no way I could do a STTNG. I still plan on getting a STTNG or an AFMr, but I'm going to have a few pins in-between here and there now that I know I can maintain them, and that they sell quickly (if priced fairly).

I'm seriously considering a couple of Data Easts... I think a Jurassic Park and a Last Action Hero would be a great pair of pins that would be fun for 6 months or a year before trading up towards something I would really like now that I know I can take care of them.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 26.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

8,495 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Plantsville, CT
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
$ 8.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buying-selling-and-owning-my-first-pinball-machine-lessons-learned and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.