Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 45 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by spfxted
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

10009pin.jpg
    Bra.jpg
    q.jpg
    moneyshoe.jpg
    Cash_in_Hand.gif
    #1 10 years ago

I will be going to my first pinball show next week (the Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown) and I'm hoping to purchase one or two pins. My question is, how does one usually pay at shows? I assume dealers like Game Exchange will take credit cards, but what about private sellers? Is it cash only? I don't want to have to walk around with that much cash if I don't have to. Does the show have any facility to take credit cards and pay the sellers?

#2 10 years ago

Cash. You should always have cash. I would not sell to a stranger any other way and most people will not.

#3 10 years ago

Cash. Don't walk around with it, keep it locked up in the car. Hidden of course

#4 10 years ago

carry a portion of your cash so you can leave a deposit and then come back to drop off the full amount later i thought

#5 10 years ago

Ugh... I was afraid of that. Better start hitting the ATMs tomorrow.

#6 10 years ago

Cash money.

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from Kurisu:

And maybe not in 20's...that could be one big stack of bills....

#8 10 years ago

cash is king...and gives you some bargaining power.You cant negotiate with a check or credit card.Scott

#9 10 years ago

Give them a 20% cash deposit and then the rest in cash when you pick up the pin to take it home. *shrug*

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from Kurisu:

You can go to a bank and cash a check.

#11 10 years ago

Cash, there is no other way at a show. Also unlike expo, the pin cannot leave until Sunday after the show, which is a great thing for players

#12 10 years ago

Check takes time to clear and can be reversed. I wouldn't take a check at a pinball show private sale to private person. But hey that is just me.

#13 10 years ago

100 dollar bills don`t take up that much room. Cash is King.

#14 10 years ago

Cash is king-may get a little better deal? But-GE,Universal Sales, Marcos, and Classic Arcade Resource are all businesses that will be at the show. I only have NIB Trons-I will take a credit card as well-FYI-Good Luck- I Look forward to meeting you?

#15 10 years ago

I have a related question that I've always wondered about with shows...

If you bought a pin in the parking lot, how do you even know it works?

#16 10 years ago

Long extension cord!?! But really unless you know them or the machine I wouldn't take the chance.

#17 10 years ago

I've bought one machine in a parking lot without turning it on, setting it up, looking behind the backbox, etc. I had been in contact with the seller for weeks though getting constant pictures and information about the machine. I also knew others who knew him and dealt with him before, so as expected, it turned out he was as honest and straight up a guy as he made out to be on the forums/email/phone. I was really happy with my purchase, but I would never do something like that with someone I had very little information or contact with.

#18 10 years ago

Agreed - I have a deal in place on a project pin - but I checked references for the seller and found that everyone said he was a stand up guy. Plus sometimes in emails and phone calls you can get a "feel" for who you're dealing with - I have nothing but confidence in my seller, and look forward to getting the pin.

Those good seller posts really can pay off, so if you have a good experience, let people know.

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from Kurisu:

Careful they are difficult to break open. Try to do it at night.

#20 10 years ago

I dunno. From a local guy at a show I might take a PayPal since you can pay with the phone on site. They would have to send it as a gift though.

#21 10 years ago

this seems to work the best

Cash_in_Hand.gifCash_in_Hand.gif

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from KoolFingers:

Long extension cord!?! But really unless you know them or the machine I wouldn't take the chance.

Quoted from frolic:

I have a related question that I've always wondered about with shows...

I have not personally done this regarding a pin, but I have a AC cord adapter thing that plugs into my cigarette lighter, allows me to charge stuff like laptops or whatever if I don't have right cord for car. Imagine you could run a pin off it if car running, no? Things costs like $20.

#23 10 years ago

Simple. If you aren't comfortable with a game that doesn't boot, don't buy a game out of a parking lot

I've bought games before without plugging them in. If the boards are complete, no acid damage, and not hacked then it'll probably work. And if it doesn't I'll fix it. If the person is selling it working, make sure their rep is stellar. If the person is selling it as-is than make sure the price reflects that.

Quoted from frolic:

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rando:

I have not personally done this regarding a pin, but I have a AC cord adapter thing that plugs into my cigarette lighter, allows me to charge stuff like laptops or whatever if I don't have right cord for car. Imagine you could run a pin off it if car running, no? Things costs like $20.

That would work if it was a high enough wattage inverter.

#25 10 years ago

My car has a regular 110 outlet in it, but not a 3-prong like most pins have. I will have to look into if there's a 2 prong to 3 prong converter I could use if I ever went to enough pin shows. That would be very handy.

#26 10 years ago

A parking lot purchase should get a parking lot price. I would not want it to be my first machine, but at this point I can look inside and take a reasonably educated guess about what kind of shape it is in.

For example:
    -Are boards/major parts missing?
    -Burn marks on boards/connectors?
    -Water damage
    -Visible hacks
    -How clean is it overall/what kind of life has the game had?
    -Acid damage to the board(s)

Also what is the game, something dirt common with a bunch of cheap replacement parts everywhere or something that has some very hard/expensive to find parts.

Also, no question, cash in the only way to go. I personally would not leave any cash in my car. A couple of thousand in $100 bills in very small. If the show is in an area where you fear for your personal safety with carrying around some cash, just don't go to that show. I would be far more nervous with cash in my car. My family has had about ~15 car break-ins over my life, not once has someone approach us to attempt to rob any of us personally.

It is not as though a big sign appears above your head "This guy has $10K in cash on him". No one will know you have the cash unless you have a fat stack of bills peaking out of your pocket and unless you are in a strip club trying to get lots of "attention" I would not ever encourage that method of carrying cash.

#27 10 years ago

Based on this thread it's pretty clear that Muggers and Prostitutes should hit Pinball expos pretty hard! Not mention target those guys out in the parking lot struggling with cords hanging out of their vehicles.

#28 10 years ago

I think that it has always been good advice for thieves to go to any type of sales event that has "casual" sellers and a cash sale type of environment. Flea markets, car shows, antique whatever shows.

The saving grace is normally the events are incredibly crowded, so pick pockets are more of an issue compared to mugging. Also the tons of "tire-kicker" who barely have enough money for a hot dog and soda cut down on the odds of a good score, so the risk for return probably does not look that good.

The problem with these events is no one looks twice if they see someone carrying around tools that are good for breaking into cars or thinks twice if they see someone wheeling around something of high value that may have just been stolen out of a car. Compared to if you are in a Wal-Mart parking lot and see someone walking around with a dolly and prybar, that might raise some red flags.

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from mg81:

Compared to if you are in a Wal-Mart parking lot and see someone walking around with a dolly and prybar, that might raise some red flags.

Depends on where you live!

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from TK2012:

100 dollar bills don`t take up that much room. Cash is King.

I paid for my Creetch in hondos at MGC this year. 35 of them DO make for a pretty fat wallet.

#31 10 years ago

Cash. Ideally carried in briefcase handcuffed to arm.

#32 10 years ago

This is where I hide it........oops!

moneyshoe.jpgmoneyshoe.jpg

#33 10 years ago

And this is where the bra advantage comes in handy. Way less stinky than Ted's method.

#35 10 years ago

And this is where the bra advantage comes in handy. Way less stinky than Ted's method.

This makes me want to sell a pin to Blondetall real bad-Giggity- Giggity-Giggity

q.jpgq.jpg

#36 10 years ago

Yeah, but at the show, it's a dead giveaway...

Bra.jpgBra.jpg

#37 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

I Look forward to meeting you?

I hope so! I will be there Friday night and hopefully all day Saturday. Will probably wear my green Hawaiian shirt with the WWII fighters on it. Please let me know if you change your mind about selling your Elivs!

#38 10 years ago

I'll be at the Atlanta Pinswap this Sat. Someone bring me a cheap pin.

#39 10 years ago

10009pin.jpg10009pin.jpg

#40 10 years ago

Is it possible to powdercoat it?

#41 10 years ago

Don't make me look.....

#42 10 years ago
    Quoted from Phetishboy:

I paid for my Creetch in hondos at MGC this year. 35 of them DO make for a pretty fat wallet.

35, try a stack of 145 for a MM, forget rain, coulda made it thunderstorm at a club.

#43 10 years ago

Thanks for all the responses, I will bring cash. If anyone wants some of it, here's the list of machines I'm looking for: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtb-pins-in-denver

9 months later
    #44 10 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

This is where I hide it........oops!

moneyshoe.jpg 84 KB

And NOW we all know where to look LOL

#45 10 years ago
    Quoted from Mrjamma:

And NOW we all know where to look LOL

Damn! But, I'll fake ya out and put it in the OTHER shoe!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buying-pins-at-shows-how-to-pay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.