Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 69 posts
  • 53 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by ReadyPO
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

download (1) (resized).jpeg
    DC258731-F191-4662-B17A-FA96060A19FD (resized).jpeg
    There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 2 years ago

So, had an interesting weekend. I've been making a deal with a dude for the past 2-3 weeks for multiple EM machines. Maybe you can catch the warning signs, who knows. He is a member here (which I didn't find out until after this BS). I will do my best not to exaggerate, as this is so ludicrous I won't need to.

W, April 21 - I see an ad on Facebook Market place by a dude with several machines and message him asking for more info. He replies pretty quickly.

Th, April 22 - I ask for a general location to which he names a town about 4 hours away and says he has a bunch of machines. He asks what I'm looking for and my budget. Like an idiot, I tell him my budget and that I'm looking for project EM machines.

F, April 23 - He tells me he has a total of 4 machines within my budget and explains conditions. All look attractive, prices are at the higher end of acceptable, but okay.

Sat, April 24 - We agree on a price for the machines.

Sun, April 25 - I propose a time. 10am on May 1.

M, April 26 - He more or less accepts the meeting time and we chat a bit about more machines he might have for me if I want to look around when I get there.

W, April 28 - I check in, restate the meeting time. etc. He says his kid has a sporting event that time he forgot about, so it won't work. Fair enough.

Th, April 29 - I reply, have the check with the wife. He proposes Sat evening as an alternate. I ask what time.

F, April 30 - He said his kid's last event starts at 8pm...so he can't make it. Lots of kid sporting events go from 10am to after 8pm. I say okay, the weather was bad that weekend anyway and propose the next weekend, Saturday, May 1 @ 10am. He accepts and I say I'll check in in a couple days.

Th, May 6 - I double check, restate time, etc. He confirms.

F, May 7 - I ask for an address as he is 4 hours away and we have to leave pretty early to get there at 10. No response. Also send him my cell so he can call me if he's out or something to make arrangements. No response.

S, May 8 - 6 am, right on time, I say we're leaving. What's the address. 830, say we're getting close. What's the address? Still no response. 10am, say we're in town, cash in hand...? Also, through the drive my wife had messaged him too in case there was something wrong with my phone. 1036 still no response and didn't show that he'd even read my messages. I send him, and I quote, "Well, it's 1036. We're heading home. If you were going to flake, you could have let us know before we wasted most of a Saturday and $120 in diesel. Not cool. Thanks anyway!"

136pm, when we were almost home!, he finally replies offering a 'I thought I sent you my phone number and only have FB on my computer' ish response. If I still want them, he'll give a token deduct (that didn't even cover my fuel from the wasted trip). Half assed apologized and said he thought I changed my mind and finally gave me his phone number.

Anyway, my wife texted him while I was driving asking for a better deduct to more cover the cost of coming back, while still being reasonable. All we got was a "no thanks".

It's not the 9 hours of a Saturday wasted having to smell 6 month pregnant woman farts, not the two weeks setting up the deal, not the moving stuff around in the house to prepare for the new machines which took most of Friday night, not the $120 in fuel that was wasted, not the let down of coming home empty handed that gets to me. What really pisses me off is that, judging from his responses, his ego has built up the situation in his mind that it was MY FAULT that he flaked on me.

But you can bet your ass that if it were reversed, that he wasted 9 hours and I completely ignored him, he would be absolutely livid.

Anyway, watch who you deal with online, even with "reputable" people. And always get your destination address before leaving. Hopefully he'll read this, it's all I can do not to tag him.

#2 2 years ago

i understand the frustration of the time wasted, and the disappointment. but where did the scam part occur?

#3 2 years ago

I'm not seeing a scam, shitty communication for sure. That being said with no address or communication the day off it seems a very odd choice to drive the 4 hours.

#4 2 years ago

And always get your destination address before leaving.

Yupp, which you definitely did NOT do.

#5 2 years ago

I think the blame is on both sides. I’d never go anywhere without a phone number and address and a positive reply to my texts.

#6 2 years ago

Oh well it was better than what they did to Bogart in 'The Maltese Falcon' when somebody summoned him to an address and all he finds there is an empty lot. XD

#7 2 years ago

Man that's crap if you ask me. Definitely liked how you wrote this up as it's very easy to see all of your communication with this person and since he had been quickly replying to your messages through Facebook messenger to then say just the day of oh I thought I sent you my phone number is a cop out and I'd be upset in your position as well. Not like you were buying one machine and driving an hour each way. Seller should have made accommodations to work with you on an exact time and address well before this Saturday morning as you obviously were a buyer of at least four pins. And as many times as you reached out to him for him to say he thought you changed your mind is ridiculous. Seems pretty obvious he changed his mind and was hoping his lack of communication would deter you from actually driving there. No reason to see why his name shouldn't be pointed out. Sorry to hear this story and hopefully you can find some nice EM's here shortly in the future.

#8 2 years ago

Its Facebook, what were you thinking?
    I don't trust anybody till i have a phone call talking about details and build that bridge first.
    Address at least 2 to 3 days in advance. Never day of.

#9 2 years ago

Not a scam, more like a raw deal.

DC258731-F191-4662-B17A-FA96060A19FD (resized).jpegDC258731-F191-4662-B17A-FA96060A19FD (resized).jpeg
    #10 2 years ago

Setting off with only a vague idea of where the guy lived (said he lived), basically just the town, seemed like a strange thing to do.

I know America is more sprawled out but I would not be travelling 4 hours to see someone when I didn't even have their address. I wouldn't even travel 1/4 of that distance without at least a street name.

That said, I did chuckle at the pregnant woman farts comment.

#11 2 years ago

No scam from your description.

People everywhere are flaky. You are not a priority for most people. They will rarely say this directly, you must infer it from their actions.

You sound like an optimist with faith in humanity. Plenty of people do not warrant that faith and the seller demonstrated that multiple times.

#12 2 years ago

Your mistake was in leaving on a 4 hour drive without final positive communication and confirmation from the seller, an actual address, and his telephone number. I would have NEVER done that!

In your case, the guy sounds like a rat, but there are numerous legitimate reasons for last minute changes of plans. The guy could have had a death in the family or a personal health emergency. He might have been called away on some kind of business or personal emergency. Lots of reasons why he might suddenly not be home and might not prioritize calling you immediately. Especially since he hadn't confirmed the day/night before about your trip. The last thing I want to do is drive 4 hours only to find the house empty and have no way of calling the seller to see what's up.

Newsflash - many people use FB sparingly if at all, so have a more conventional means to contact them besides that. When I am making a long drive to a stranger's house, I confirm the night before and tell them I will be texting at least once or twice during the drive with updated ETA's. If I don't get confirming texts back, I might pull over and call to make sure nothing has changed, especially if I still am far from the destination. Like I said. When I am doing the driving, all of the risk is on me. I don't want to get there and find nobody home!

You weren't scammed. Treated badly - absolutely. But you let your faith in the goodness of strangers and your eagerness to do the deal get in the way of common sense. Learn from it and move on. This guy won't be the last doofus you come across!

#13 2 years ago

Everyone has stated reasons where you messed up but regardless this guy sounds like a bad seller to me.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Everyone has stated reasons where you messed up but regardless this guy sounds like a bad seller to me.

I still think it is some sort of scam, but either way he should have gotten the address before he left.

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from RightNut:

So, had an interesting weekend. I've been making a deal with a dude for the past 2-3 weeks for multiple EM machines. Maybe you can catch the warning signs, who knows. He is a member here (which I didn't find out until after this BS). I will do my best not to exaggerate, as this is so ludicrous I won't need to.
    W, April 21 - I see an ad on Facebook Market place by a dude with several machines and message him asking for more info. He replies pretty quickly.
    Th, April 22 - I ask for a general location to which he names a town about 4 hours away and says he has a bunch of machines. He asks what I'm looking for and my budget. Like an idiot, I tell him my budget and that I'm looking for project EM machines.
    F, April 23 - He tells me he has a total of 4 machines within my budget and explains conditions. All look attractive, prices are at the higher end of acceptable, but okay.
    Sat, April 24 - We agree on a price for the machines.
    Sun, April 25 - I propose a time. 10am on May 1.
    M, April 26 - He more or less accepts the meeting time and we chat a bit about more machines he might have for me if I want to look around when I get there.
    W, April 28 - I check in, restate the meeting time. etc. He says his kid has a sporting event that time he forgot about, so it won't work. Fair enough.
    Th, April 29 - I reply, have the check with the wife. He proposes Sat evening as an alternate. I ask what time.
    F, April 30 - He said his kid's last event starts at 8pm...so he can't make it. Lots of kid sporting events go from 10am to after 8pm. I say okay, the weather was bad that weekend anyway and propose the next weekend, Saturday, May 1 @ 10am. He accepts and I say I'll check in in a couple days.
    Th, May 6 - I double check, restate time, etc. He confirms.
    F, May 7 - I ask for an address as he is 4 hours away and we have to leave pretty early to get there at 10. No response. Also send him my cell so he can call me if he's out or something to make arrangements. No response.
    S, May 8 - 6 am, right on time, I say we're leaving. What's the address. 830, say we're getting close. What's the address? Still no response. 10am, say we're in town, cash in hand...? Also, through the drive my wife had messaged him too in case there was something wrong with my phone. 1036 still no response and didn't show that he'd even read my messages. I send him, and I quote, "Well, it's 1036. We're heading home. If you were going to flake, you could have let us know before we wasted most of a Saturday and $120 in diesel. Not cool. Thanks anyway!"
    136pm, when we were almost home!, he finally replies offering a 'I thought I sent you my phone number and only have FB on my computer' ish response. If I still want them, he'll give a token deduct (that didn't even cover my fuel from the wasted trip). Half assed apologized and said he thought I changed my mind and finally gave me his phone number.
    Anyway, my wife texted him while I was driving asking for a better deduct to more cover the cost of coming back, while still being reasonable. All we got was a "no thanks".
    It's not the 9 hours of a Saturday wasted having to smell 6 month pregnant woman farts, not the two weeks setting up the deal, not the moving stuff around in the house to prepare for the new machines which took most of Friday night, not the $120 in fuel that was wasted, not the let down of coming home empty handed that gets to me. What really pisses me off is that, judging from his responses, his ego has built up the situation in his mind that it was MY FAULT that he flaked on me.
    But you can bet your ass that if it were reversed, that he wasted 9 hours and I completely ignored him, he would be absolutely livid.
    Anyway, watch who you deal with online, even with "reputable" people. And always get your destination address before leaving. Hopefully he'll read this, it's all I can do not to tag him.

Why on god’s green earth did you drive one mile in his direction without his address let alone confirmation that he was expecting you?

#16 2 years ago

That really sucks. Like some others have stated, sometimes the potential of a good deal may hinder the ability to get more solid information about the seller. It casts doubt on the ability to trust your fellow man. In the future, if you have the sellers name and address (and they own their own home) you can look up information on property tax rolls. There are a lot of crooks out there.

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from RightNut:

You didn't get scammed, you got led on.

No address and you went anyway? That's all on you dude. Why didn't you ask him for the address on May 6th , when he confirmed? That's pretty stupid on your part as well.

But his reaction and attitude? Screw that! Who is he! Out him!

#18 2 years ago

So...someone makes a written agreement, doesn't follow through, and wastes ones time and money...if that's not a scam, what's the proper word for it? Raw deal, maybe. Bullshit, def.

I appreciate everyone's point of view. However, telling people addresses and phone numbers significantly in advance kinda conflicts with the recommended selling practices posted on this site. Haha. So, what are you gonna do? Though it's a good lesson for the future.

That said, I tend to honor agreements that I make, written or otherwise. Had I not gone, and he sent me a message at 8 or 9 saying "I overslept, here's the address" and I didn't show up on time or at all, it would have been my fault for messing up the deal. It's why I sent him my number, so he could contact me other than via FB.

So, yea, it's a bad seller and raw deal. Be careful buying stuff southwest of Fort Worth.

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from RightNut:

So...someone makes a written agreement, doesn't follow through, and wastes ones time and money...if that's not a scam, what's the proper word for it? .

It's just a sloppy "deal" that never should have happened.

You scammed yourself, by convincing yourself it was a good idea to pack up the pregnant wife and embark on a 9-hour round trip without a confirmed address or meet up.

Not a scam. A lesson. A pretty cheap one at that.

How "you" do things - man of your word, etc, is well and good. But when dealing with randos on Facebook you really gotta exercise better quality control. Not everybody is as awesome as you are or keeps tracks of the same details with the same seriousness. I've managed to avoid bullshit like this in hundreds of deals over 20 years, sometimes you just gotta cancel the van rental and decide not to go, no matter how much you want the deal to actually happen. They call 'em "red flags" for a reason: you are supposed to notice them and take corrective action.

Quoted from RightNut:

Right here is where you shoulda pulled the rip cord on this one. No way in hell - not on a $3000 AFM or a $50 Elvira topper - would i have gone through with this trip the next morning without hearing back from the message the previous evening.

#20 2 years ago

Post the seller's pinside name

#21 2 years ago

I once rented a Uhaul truck after making a committed deal over the phone for a pin. Had the sellers address, phone number and a time. Texted him when I left...he responded with "k".

Halfway into the trip he texted me, saying he sold it to someone else for $100 more.

I feel your pain, but the non responses would have made me think twice about making the trip.

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from RightNut:

So...someone makes a written agreement, doesn't follow through, and wastes ones time and money...if that's not a scam, what's the proper word for it? Raw deal, maybe. Bullshit, def.
    I appreciate everyone's point of view. However, telling people addresses and phone numbers significantly in advance kinda conflicts with the recommended selling practices posted on this site. Haha. So, what are you gonna do? Though it's a good lesson for the future.
    That said, I tend to honor agreements that I make, written or otherwise. Had I not gone, and he sent me a message at 8 or 9 saying "I overslept, here's the address" and I didn't show up on time or at all, it would have been my fault for messing up the deal. It's why I sent him my number, so he could contact me other than via FB.
    So, yea, it's a bad seller and raw deal. Be careful buying stuff southwest of Fort Worth.

Did I miss when you had a written agreement? Are you considering message online a written agreement?

#23 2 years ago

To the OP, I'd say you were certainly taken advantage of, not necessarily scammed.
    This topic may help you avoid future scams:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-not-get-ripped-off-in-pinball-vids-guide

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

To the OP, I'd say you were certainly taken advantage of, not necessarily scammed.

I wouldn't even go that far. If I don't communicate with someone the day of or day before, it's not happening. Being taken advantage of is confirming a meeting address and time and then having the person not show up. This is just someone that thought that if they put enough pressure on the seller that they're owed the sellers time.

We all know how this stuff goes, you get like 3 or 4 messages of people that are "definitely super interested" or whatever and maybe an obsessive buyer that's up your butt to the point of annoyance, and first message gets the worm is a great thought but you kinda fish out what's most convenient for you as a seller.

#25 2 years ago

4 hour drive without an address is crazy talk, I wouldn’t go on a 4min drive without an address.

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

I once rented a Uhaul truck after making a committed deal over the phone for a pin. Had the sellers address, phone number and a time. Texted him when I left...he responded with "k".
    Halfway into the trip he texted me, saying he sold it to someone else for $100 more.
    I feel your pain, but the non responses would have made me think twice about making the trip.

I know that one too. Took a personal day to pick up a pin that seller and I had agreed on the sale/day/time. Contacted that morning and headed out. An hour into the drive same thing. Seller said someone offered more so he sold it.

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

I once rented a Uhaul truck after making a committed deal over the phone for a pin. Had the sellers address, phone number and a time. Texted him when I left...he responded with "k".Halfway into the trip he texted me, saying he sold it to someone else for $100 more.

I would have turned around to go back home, but first text him back, "Okay, but I'm still comin'... to GET you!"

#28 2 years ago

WTF who goes on a 4 hour drive without an address? LMAO

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from RightNut:

I don't think ANY Pinside recommended selling or buying practices involve leaving home without a phone number and/or specific address to complete a deal. I see no conflict other than you trying to point blame everywhere other than yourself. Look, we all get it. The excitement of a deal overtook rational thinking. It happens all the time. But you need to step back and ask yourself why you would make a 4 hour drive with no information. Bottom line, the seller is a clown for ghosting you for 48 hours.

You deserved the pregnant wife farts! I hope she locked the windows and dutch ovened your ass!

#30 2 years ago

Seller was a dick for setting up a meeting guaranteed to fail. "Thought" they sent their number, and didn't bother to check original means of communication when it came time to meet?

Buyer was foolish for going through with it and leaving with no address.

No scams here.

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from RightNut:

I appreciate everyone's point of view. However, telling people addresses and phone numbers significantly in advance kinda conflicts with the recommended selling practices posted on this site. Haha.

Where is this? This is terrible advice. Always get contact and address before you leave.

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from RightNut:

S, May 8 - 6 am, right on time, I say we're leaving. What's the address.

I hate to say it, but there was the mistake. Never depart when you don't know exactly where you are going, and you have looked up the lay of the land from satellite images on Google. And make backup plans where you are going in case it doesn't work out. Be it a restaurant you want to try, a pinball place you want to visit, the Hersey Chocolate Tour if it is in PA. Just something cool so that no matter how it turns out you will have had an interesting journey and seen something you would not have seen staying home. (and that isn't a joke, I do that for every pinball driver over 2 hours total just in case I get stiffed, or that "great" machine is a load).

Quoted from RightNut:

That said, I tend to honor agreements that I make, written or otherwise.

Just to let you know, this is quite honorable. I do the same. However I also have learned that others do not. Some people do, which is awesome, but many don't. Don't make the assumption that they are not on the phone trying to negotiate a better deal from someone else on the phone while you are driving there.

#33 2 years ago

<<< And make backup plans where you are going in case it doesn't work out. Be it a restaurant you want to try, a pinball place you want to visit, the Hersey Chocolate Tour>>

"Hey Frank, how's about showing me those cool pinball machines you picked up in North Dakota?" . . . "Pinballs? Oh, uh -cough- didn't I tell ya? I only drove the 1200 miles and back to check out the National Buffalo Museum."

#34 2 years ago

So wait, you left for a 4 hour trip without confirming the location you were going to? Okay so shitty seller sure, but there's no scam here and you really are to blame for making a trip to a destination you didn't have...

Jeff

#35 2 years ago

Had a similar story that almost wound up the same way.
    Agreed on time, but I did get the guys address
    Morning of I text the guy saying "I'm OMW".
    He says - "sounds good buddy, see you at 2"
    Drive 2 and half hours
    get there at 2pm, knock on the door - no answer
    call several times - no answer
    text saying "hey I'm going to get gas be back in 20 min" - no answer
    come back and call a few more times - no answer
    wait in the truck for 20 minutes
    bang on the door - no answer
    Just about to pull out the drive way since it was almost 3pm now, and his wife... maybe girlfriend shows up.
    I explain the situation to her and she says wait here.
    I hear some yelling and out comes the guy I've been trying to get ahold of for the past hour.
    "What happened?!"
    "oh man (ignoring my question), well let me show you the game."
    Got the game went home, I would of been irritated at the very least leaving there without anything. So even getting the address isn't a guarantee.

not sure if he had sellers remorse or was playing computer games with headphones on. Just happy the girlfriend or wife came home.

#36 2 years ago

Wait until you buy a machine off a meth head cracked out stripper in Vegas.
    Way more dramatic than this.

#37 2 years ago

As a hyper-conscientious individual, this thread is giving me major anxiety. I need to get outta here!

#38 2 years ago

There is no fawking way i'd head to someones house without an address and phone number in hand before I left.

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from hocuslocus:

Had a similar story that almost wound up the same way.
    Agreed on time, but I did get the guys address
    Morning of I text the guy saying "I'm OMW".
    He says - "sounds good buddy, see you at 2"
    Drive 2 and half hours
    get there at 2pm, knock on the door - no answer
    call several times - no answer
    text saying "hey I'm going to get gas be back in 20 min" - no answer
    come back and call a few more times - no answer
    wait in the truck for 20 minutes
    bang on the door - no answer
    Just about to pull out the drive way since it was almost 3pm now, and his wife... maybe girlfriend shows up.
    I explain the situation to her and she says wait here.
    I hear some yelling and out comes the guy I've been trying to get ahold of for the past hour.
    "What happened?!"
    "oh man (ignoring my question), well let me show you the game."
    Got the game went home, I would of been irritated at the very least leaving there without anything. So even getting the address isn't a guarantee.
    not sure if he had sellers remorse or was playing computer games with headphones on. Just happy the girlfriend or wife came home.

Same guy? You are both in Katy, TX....

#40 2 years ago

My takeaway on this is that the OP married well.

#41 2 years ago

OP left home without an address?

An address is your AMEX. Carl Malden "Don't leave home without it".

#42 2 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

Wait until you buy a machine off a meth head cracked out stripper in Vegas.
    Way more dramatic than this.

Out of curiosity, what game was the meth head cracked out Vegas stripper selling?

#43 2 years ago

He was 4 hours away. Was the saler from Beaumont, Tx.?

download (1) (resized).jpegdownload (1) (resized).jpeg
    #44 2 years ago
    Quoted from Eightball88:

My takeaway on this is that the OP married well.

She got her revenge:

Quoted from RightNut:

9 hours of a Saturday wasted having to smell 6 month pregnant woman farts

#45 2 years ago

Empty handed road trip expensive, spending time with the mother of your child priceless. Live and learn

#46 2 years ago

I guess I am just old fashioned, but I am not driving anywhere that I am not familiar with without programming my Garmin GPS with the specific destination address. And I want traffic alerts on the way, in case I need to detour. The destination guy will know my estimated arrival time, based on the Garmin info and any changes in that time, due to weather, traffic or vehicle malfunctions. I recall the commercial where the guy asks "if you printed out directions to get here, you are in the right place". Several years ago, that would have been me. I would also already have looked at the machine to purchase previously, up close, and the price negotiations would be over. I would have the money in a safe place and ready to pay on arrival, upon seeing the machine as I recalled seeing it before and the seller would be aware that that was the case. I would also bring help with me to move said machine, assuming help was not offered at the destination. So, some guy that doesn't answer messages or give an address would not be on my radar for a perspective purchase, unless it is someone that I know pretty well. But that is just me... Perhaps I am old school, but I am too old to drive 4 hours for something that "might" happen.

#47 2 years ago
    Quoted from jasonspoint28:

Out of curiosity, what game was the meth head cracked out Vegas stripper selling?

EM shooting game.
    She was living in a box trailer in her sisters front yard that was fenced in with no gate so no one would steal it. I.E. no access to the trailer without hopping a 3 foot chain link fence. Trailer was a crack den decorated with all her stripper boots and attire from that profession stapled to the wall. All the Windows were covered in blankets and duct tape. Trailer was 3 feet off the ground with no steps and the game was inside.
    Fucking strange pick up that one was.

#49 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Same guy? You are both in Katy, TX....

The guy I met lived in san antonio. Guess there is more than one flake in TX.

#50 2 years ago

My wife has done this....she's too trusting sometimes, has driven 3 hours one way to buy something off Craigslist/Facebook, comes home empty handed, says the person never responded when she messaged that she arrived in town. I tell her the same thing, she was crazy for leaving the house witho
    ut an address.

There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buying-pins-a-getting-scammed-story/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.