(Topic ID: 274294)

Buying pin from unknown, non-pinsider, out of state best options???

By kray37

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by gdonovan
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

itsatrap (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

Hi guys, I’m looking to purchase an out of state pin but obviously do not know the guy and he’s not on Pinside, although he has several nice pins in his collection.
    I need advice on how to proceed and ship this pin safely without scams, or is there??
    How can I tell if he’s legit and what the best payment plan for this? I have all type of payment options. Also STI still shipping?

Sorry it’s been awhile since I’ve made a purchase out of state

Thanks for any advise!

#3 3 years ago

Roadtrip!

#4 3 years ago

I wouldn't buy a game that I couldn't test and pick up myself unless it was from someone very well known to me. Only exception would be ebay because paypal/ebay will typically side with the buyer if there is an issue. With that said ebay prices are usually way to high so I avoid that as well. Depending how far it is I'd make a trip out of it.

#5 3 years ago

Speak to the seller over the phone and ask questions. Get a vibe about the seller from that conversation. Do a zoom call so the seller can show you the game and highlight any issues with it. Ask the seller to describe how they with pack and ship the pin if you buy it. Get detailed background on the seller about how many games bought/sold and why selling the one you are looking at. Everybody doesn't know about pinside, so that should not be a requirement. Many payment option, but if you use PP, just pay the extra fee for goods, then you have protection.

#6 3 years ago

If you can't pick it up yourself DON'T BUY IT. Too many risks involved with anything other than "cash on the glass". I have owned over 600 machines in the past 12 years and have NEVER even considered buying one I couldn't look at in person. I live in Central PA and have driven as far as Southwest Texas, Southern Florida, and Maine just to make deals happen. If a deal wasn't worth the time & drive to me it wasn't worth making that deal.

#7 3 years ago

How far away is the game? Out of all the pins I have bought, I have only purchased one that I could not physically look at to inspect. It was shipped and once got it home, it was a huge disappointment. Pictures hide so many defects that you would spot in person. I have made numerous road trips to buy a pin and have even caught a flight to go look at a pin, rented a vehicle and drove it back home. No surprises with the pin or shipping as you control the entire journey.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from silen7ce:

I wouldn't buy a game that I couldn't test and pick up myself unless it was from someone very well known to me. Only exception would be ebay because paypal/ebay will typically side with the buyer if there is an issue. With that said ebay prices are usually way to high so I avoid that as well. Depending how far it is I'd make a trip out of it.

It’s in PA and I’m in Tx...ughh

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from Cudaman:

Speak to the seller over the phone and ask questions. Get a vibe about the seller from that conversation. Do a zoom call so the seller can show you the game and highlight any issues with it. Ask the seller to describe how they with pack and ship the pin if you buy it. Get detailed background on the seller about how many games bought/sold and why selling the one you are looking at. Everybody doesn't know about pinside, so that should not be a requirement. Many payment option, but if you use PP, just pay the extra fee for goods, then you have protection.

I didn’t even think about zoom or FaceTime. Long ways away but might even get flight and rent car back for it. Flights are so cheap right now. Thanks for the advice

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

If you can't pick it up yourself DON'T BUY IT. Too many risks involved with anything other than "cash on the glass". I have owned over 600 machines in the past 12 years and have NEVER even considered buying one I couldn't look at in person. I live in Central PA and have driven as far as Southwest Texas, Southern Florida, and Maine just to make deals happen. If a deal wasn't worth the time & drive to me it wasn't worth making that deal.

That’s about how far this is, Dallas to Philly

#11 3 years ago

What is the game title?

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from kray37:

Hi guys, I’m looking to purchase an out of state pin but obviously do not know the guy and he’s not on Pinside, although he has several nice pins in his collection.
    I need advice on how to proceed and ship this pin safely without scams, or is there??
    How can I tell if he’s legit and what the best payment plan for this? I have all type of payment options. Also STI still shipping?
    Sorry it’s been awhile since I’ve made a purchase out of state
    Thanks for any advise!

Find a Pinside in the area, toss them a little cash to go look at the game for you. Place a deposit via PayPal to hold it, then tell the seller you have a buddy coming to look over the machine.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from kray37:

I need advice on how to proceed and ship

Full stop. Don’t do this unless you can go and pick it up yourself.

#14 3 years ago

I think there a lot of scams going on both pinside and mr pinbalL. I wouldn’t do it unless can physically see it

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

600 machines?? WTF

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

600 machines?? WTF

Yeah.....wow, that’s one machine a week, every week for 12 years. If they aren’t nearby that’s a lot of driving each week and time off as well!

#18 3 years ago

If the seller seems legit and is willing to let a local pinsider come and inspect it and takes pics then I say go for it.
    I did this exact thing and asked Colsond3 to look at the machine and tell me if it was worth it or run away.
    In the end I was a happy new owner of #TimeZone
    -Mike

#19 3 years ago

Get a pinsider close by to go look the game over for you.

Dont be cheap about it. Offer to compensate.

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Find a Pinside in the area, toss them a little cash to go look at the game for you. Place a deposit via PayPal to hold it, then tell the seller you have a buddy coming to look over the machine.

This absolutely! I’m driving to PA soon for some games and other stuff
    Furthest I’ve driven was like 6 hours each way.

Quoted from nicoy3k:

600 machines?? WTF

the96stang has already bought and sold like 130 machines THIS YEAR

#21 3 years ago

escrow.com and STI is still shipping.

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

This absolutely! I’m driving to PA soon for some games and other stuff
    Furthest I’ve driven was like 6 hours each way.

the96stang has already bought and sold like 130 machines THIS YEAR

Wut... does he have full time staff buying and picking up pins on his behalf? I can’t compute how anyone would have time for that?

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

600 machines?? WTF

Don't even ask!

Every time I get into a hobby I dive in with both feet. When I was in high school & college I was into street rods & muscle cars and in just under two years I owned 137 cars. At that same time I was involved in the model railroad hobby (Lionel Trains to be more specific) and shortly after getting out of college I sold part of my train collection to pay cash for our first house. Next was the antiques & collectibles business and at one point I had over 40 space in antique malls and traveled all over the east coast doing shows. Then came vinyl records - over 200,000 records passed through my hands in less than 3 years and I still own over 25,000 records (all 45 RPM at this point).

So getting into a hobby way to deep is nothing new for me!

Now that I am "phasing away" from the pinball stuff I am back to messing with Lionel trains. I haven't even finished with selling the pinball parts business and this morning I am sitting here inspecting a collection of Lionel stuff I bought yesterday. I have to be out of my mind!

#24 3 years ago

Yes, STI is still shipping. I use them frequently.
    Michelle Bianchi there is a great contact and during normal business hours and actually a little bit beyond and sometimes even on the weekends, she's very good to get back to you with quotes and such.

[email protected]

#25 3 years ago

I know what Admiral Ackbar would say...

itsatrap (resized).jpgitsatrap (resized).jpg
    #26 3 years ago

Do you know any pinsiders in the PA area that could go check out the game for you? Zoom is the #1 no-cost option. Have the guy at least turn it on, show you around the playfield. What game is this anyway?

#27 3 years ago

Recently drove 12hrs (1 way) for a pin. It certainly recalibrated what i considered was “too far” lol.

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from kray37:

It’s in PA and I’m in Tx...ughh

Where in Pa.? It's a big state, if nearby maybe I could take a looksee for you.

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Where in Pa.? It's a big state, if nearby maybe I could take a looksee for you.

I was thinking the same thing? Also if the guy is at all active in the hobby he is likely to know someone who knows someone who you could trust. Texas to PA is a long drive I have done it more than once!

#30 3 years ago

I just drive 785 mile round trip in a day to buy, glad I did. Could not put that much money out unseen

#31 3 years ago

I drove to PA from Michigan a couple of weeks ago to make a trade. What part of PA? The guy I traded with would be a great person to have take a look.

#32 3 years ago

This thread reminds me of a trade I made many years ago that I probably should have been more hesitant with based on the lack of information that I had. Actually, the story ends with a "good trader alert" so if this is you and you are reading this, please speak up!

I don't even remember his name but I think he was an operator in Wisconsin but I'm not sure.

We met somewhere in the middle of WI behind a gas station. I didn't know anything about him and still don't to this day other than the above.

I brought a really nice RFM and he brought an unshopped Tommy (great shape under the dirt) and a Judge Dredd also unshopped, average shape. Both worked just needed cleaning, no issues.

When we met up I think we spent just a few minutes swapping games. What I don't remember is either of us powering up games or even checking to see if any games were missing boards etc or games not as described. We had backed our vehicles tailgate to tailgate to swap easier. I don't remember any cash but it would have made sense that I'd have brought a little with to the trade. Back then I think this was a fair trade.

#33 3 years ago

Lots ways this is a poor idea unless vary rare title .

I would pass .

You could ask if you know anyone in his circle pinball acquaintances. Maybe he has a friend on Pinside .

Best luck Shane

#34 3 years ago

I passed on it because I gave him my number and he called me. Mumbled, didn’t speak up or even say his name right. I think he might have been middle eastern, didn’t even get that far. Had to be a scam as I kinda called him out and no reply back. Seemed legit but got a terrible vibe when he couldn’t hold a convo lol
    I’ll have find out more about wth escrow.com is?!?! Glad to see Michelle is still at! What’s the going rate usually for one pin? Thought it was almost the same for two pins shipped IIRC

Anyways thanks for all the ideas and help guys, appreciate it for my next purchase...looks like I can’t seem to find a TAF, SS, or Shrek near me on the decent

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from kray37:

I passed on it because I gave him my number and he called me. Mumbled, didn’t speak up or even say his name right. I think he might have been middle eastern, didn’t even get that far. Had to be a scam as I kinda called him out and no reply back. Seemed legit but got a terrible vibe when he couldn’t hold a convo lol
    I’ll have find out more about wth escrow.com is?!?! Glad to see Michelle is still at! What’s the going rate usually for one pin? Thought it was almost the same for two pins shipped IIRC
    Anyways thanks for all the ideas and help guys, appreciate it for my next purchase...looks like I can’t seem to find a TAF, SS, or Shrek near me on the decent

Good call. Hard to believe that someone near philly couldnt sell a sought after title locally if it was a good enough deal to attract someone from Texas. Keep hunting - that’s all part of the fun!

#36 3 years ago

Buying out of state is a risk. Have done it several times and once you send payment all you can do is cross your fingers and hope.

If you can justify the road trip, do it.
    If the game isn't truly hard to get or an amazing deal pass on it.
    If it is an amazing deal, ask yourself why is it for sale? Flippers and collectors are everywhere and jump on deals. If its been available for awhile but underpriced something is off.

If you are going to buy it realize anyway you can pay that gives you some measure of protection, is a risk for the seller. If its a legit seller they have to worry you will get the game and reverse payment. Most will not deal with someone who tries to do regular PayPal for this reason.

1 week later
    #37 3 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

600 machines?? WTF

I have bought that many, if not a little more in 9 years.

Just brought home number 132 this year last night

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from the96stang:

Just brought home number 132 this year last night

Is it a Data East?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buying-pin-from-unknown-non-pinsider-out-of-state-best-options?hl=manadams and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.