Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Atomicboy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Anyone else do this? Crazy or practical?

So, now that my DW is pretty much settled in and happy, I'm starting to think about machine number two. Since I do not want to deal with shipping and it's a rarer title, I can't imagine I'll find it anytime soon - and still need to save up for it which I imagine will take a while, perhaps years or more. However, I HAVE starting picking parts up as I have seen them. Picked up a plastics repro set, and a few other parts on ebay when I have seen them at decent prices.

Anyone else do this? How long did you do so before you finally got the machine?

#2 5 years ago

I bought the profanity T2 roms probably about 4-5 months ago now because it is the next pin I want to own, inexpensive but I thought worth it. Likely though whichever one I buy will end up coming with the damn things already installed!

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

Since I do not want to deal with shipping and it's a rarer title,

What's the rarer title? What plastics?

#4 5 years ago

I haven't- yet. I've been very tempted, especially with reproduction and n.o.s. playfields. Really interested to hear about others' responses.

#5 5 years ago

I don't (almost never) buy parts for games I don't own yet. With that said, I just bought a set of prototype BSD sling plastics and I don't own the game. It is on the short list, so...

#6 5 years ago

I buy key parts for games I think I might have some day, especially stuff that is hard/impossible to find. Wait until I have the game and it may be too late.

Easier to sell what you don't need than to need what you can't find.

#7 5 years ago

Sling plastics. I like them for some reason, especially curious ones like JY. I have a stack of sling plastics for games that I don't own. Mostly impulse buys at shows.

#8 5 years ago

I bought the repro diverter link for rollergames someone on here made since its next on my list and I didn't want to need it and have it be unavailable.

Not going to hoard it though, if I get one and it doesn't need it whoever gets the game next it will travel with the game.

#9 5 years ago

No, but I have a bunch of parts I bought for games I used to own but had to sell...

#10 5 years ago

I do...

I want a LOTR and looking for a HUO or if announced a VE. I have already bought:

2x Army of the Death aome set
1x Ringwraith on horse aome set
1x Fell beast, Witch King, Eowyn aome set.
1x Palantir v5 retina mod
1z path of the death mounting plate/kit

and still looking for more stuff...

#11 5 years ago

I've bought some parts for a couple machines on my wish list--only because they were for a good price and weren't being reproduced. I certainly won't pay top dollar for parts for machines that I don't have, since I'd rather put the money into the machines that I do have.

So far, I've been surprised at some of the unusual finds I've managed to acquire, so I imagine my "wish list" pins will pop up eventually for reasonable prices I'm comfortable with.

#12 5 years ago

yup... i've got a "rocket iii" pf sitting in my house, just waiting for me to find a machine to put it in...

#13 5 years ago

I could see if you plan on owning the machine. Sucks though if you are the person on the other end who needs a certain part to know that someone out there who doesn't really need it might be sitting on it, though.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

I could see if you plan on owning the machine. Sucks though if you are the person on the other end who needs a certain part to know that someone out there who doesn't really need it might be sitting on it, though.

That's when posting WTB posts can be handy.

Some folks are happy to supply an unused part to someone in the community if it helps bring a machine back to life--but at the same time, they wouldn't necessarily post a specific FS ad for something in their parts pile.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

That's when posting WTB posts can be handy.
Some folks are happy to supply an unused part to someone in the community if it helps bring a machine back to life--but at the same time, they wouldn't necessarily post a specific FS ad for something in their parts pile.

yup... in the "em side of pinside", we have a "parts wanted" thread... it works out pretty well...

#16 5 years ago

I do it all the time. Bought a proto translight from RD for a WWFRR because I knew I was going to eventually buy one. Bought one last week and it has the proto translight on it so now I will be selling my new proto translight. Also have a couple mods I like for AC/DC and don't even have one yet. If I see a great deal on Ebay on a manual for a game I really want I usually buy it. My wife thinks I'm just crazy but it makes perfect sense to me!

#17 5 years ago

Guilty. Recently bought one of the closeout Deadly Weapon playfields from PBR as most of them are toast on location. Planned on eventually owning one again some day and will do a playfield swap, if needed of course. Don't ask my why, just remember liking the game.

#18 5 years ago

Sure,

I knew I'd own a Taxi some day so when an HUO spinout ramp came up I jumped on it (years ago, before repros).

I also bought gold ramps for Monster Bash before owning because they were cheap and I never heard of gold ones. Own MB about 8 years now and never put them in, but I have them if I want to.

#19 5 years ago

Got drinking a little too much and preordered a cpr EATPM playfield and plastics a couple of weeks ago. Now to find a game to put them in.

#20 5 years ago

I bought the alt trans for shadow. Bought the game about a year later.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

What's the rarer title? What plastics?

I'm hoping to someday find a project D&D machine.... probably not an easy find in Florida

#22 5 years ago

I decided not to for Taxi and am kicking myself for not getting a PF. If you know that you are going to get a game, given the limited nature of PF and plastics runs and you can afford to I'd say go for it.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I've bought some parts for a couple machines on my wish list.

You'd go broke if you started buying lots of parts for all the pins on your wish list.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

You'd go broke if you started buying lots of parts for all the pins on your wish list.

Haha, guess I do have a few on there, don't I?

I'm really only on the lookout for 2-3 of them at the moment, though I'll pick up pretty much anything if it's a bargain.

#25 5 years ago

I'll buy limited or rare parts that are known to have issues. I only do this for hard to find machines I am positive I will own in the future.

I bought a full ramp set and repro plastics for my EATPM at least 6 months before I found one. By the time got the EATPM the ramps were no longer available so I made the right move. I've owned a repro alien head for an ID4 for coming up on a year now. Still no ID4. But I will be prepared for when I finally land one!

#26 5 years ago

I had bought way too many F-14 parts before I even knew I was going to have the machine... Not the smartest plan, but it worked out now that I have one.

#27 5 years ago

If you start buying too many parts, you almost have to buy the machine just to clear out some space

#28 5 years ago

I will buy parts if it is a limited run or someone on Pinside makes it if I believe someday I will need it. Good example was the middle ramp on DESW. Ended up needing one after there were no more made. Thankfully a fellow Pinsider helped me out.

#29 5 years ago

It was getting to that point.... I had 4 or 5 boxes show up with parts about 2-3 months in advance, but no machine. I was damn near obligated. I would only do it again if I was dead set on buying the machine though.

#30 5 years ago

I have a WPT playfield. I plan to buy one down the road someday. It isn't a huge want, but I got a good deal on it so I thought having a brand new playfield would come in handy if I could find a routed one for cheap.

#31 5 years ago

I do all the time. If you know you are going to get a game down the road, why not? Especially those hard to come by parts or limited run mods

#32 5 years ago

yep, buy the parts while you can, if you even *think* you might own the game someday.

So many sources have dried up, ran out, or stop making the thing you want.

There were a few mods I did not jump on, and are now NLA.

Add, so many regrets for not spending more at Gene's booth too.

#33 5 years ago

I don't own a Metallica, but I came very close to ordering one of Aurich's custom hammers.

#34 5 years ago

Only once. I use speaker coasters for key fobs, love the large look.

I bought a BSD one as I knew I would own it one day.

...and it looks great on it

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside