(Topic ID: 227693)

Buying/owning your first pin - things you wish you had known

By SheriffBarclay

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20181024_193612.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbaumle.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from SheriffBarclay:

Protection for future resale value

The farthest I would go for protection would be to lie down some mylar around magnets, or ball drop zones, as that'll help premature wear in areas that get hammered; otherwise don't buy a game thinking about holding it's value. It won't. Buy it, play the snot out of it, enjoy it. Do some basic maintenance to it, obviously, but these are commercial machines that I assume you'll be using in your home. It'll be fine.

If you're talking about an EM game, it's often a good idea to seal the backglass with Krylon Triple Thick to keep it from flaking.

Change out the pinballs as frequently as you can. That'll keep 'em looking shiny, and save the playfield from a ton of premature wear, as an old dull ball is basically sandpaper. They're cheap, and you honestly don't need the ultra super shiny ones unless you really want them. They ship with a film of oil on them, so make sure they're clean before dropping them into your game.

Clean with a non-water based cleaner (naphtha is my go-to), and wax with a high quality carnauba wax every so often.

While it really does boil down to personal preference, I think white rubber rings is the best go-to for all games new and old. Black rings last longer, but they don't bounce as much, and they leave a black residue everywhere that sours a game's cleanliness. White rubbers get dirty faster, but they'll still last years, and they clean up nicely with Naphtha, and won't leave a residue everywhere.

Buying too many unnecessary things for them. If, say, a coil locks on and the driver board fries something, I've seen people drop the original board like a hot potato and go right to buying a brand new aftermarket board. Totally unnecessary. Making repairs yourself isn't terribly difficult, but if that's not your speed, you can always send your boards out for repair for far less than the cost of a new board.

Finally, my high horse:

As you make your way through the hobby and pinside, based on other people's desires and collections, you may start to feel like you either need A: A ton of pinball machines or B: Your pinball machines to be perfectly restored with all new parts.

It's easy to feel insignificant when everyone's talking about their Monster Bashes and Addams Family, and you're maybe just looking for a $200 beater Jubilee for the garage. Ain't nothin' wrong with that. Don't get swept into all the hype, just go with your own personal flow, and enjoy the ride. You like what you like, and don't let some internet person persuade you otherwise.

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

Where exactly would he send them?

If I found myself over my head, I used to send my boards out to John Wart Jr, but as I understand it, he hasn't been taking on any new work recently. Other great options are Chris Hibler (pinsider here), and Coin Op Cauldron. They usually have flat fees for any amount of repair (so long as it isn't alkaline damage) for certain boards. While I haven't personally worked with either, I know they both come highly recommended.

http://www.coinopcauldron.com/brepairs.html
    http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact/

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from northerndude:

I always tell my wife.....”at least I’m not addicted to drugs, “just” pinball “

Drugs are probably cheaper at this point

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbaumle.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buying-owning-your-first-pin-things-you-wish-you-had-known?tu=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.