(Topic ID: 227693)

Buying/owning your first pin - things you wish you had known

By SheriffBarclay

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20181024_193612.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Diospinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19 5 years ago

My advice that I would give. First know what you are buying. Research and browse price listings.
    I would say don't buy anything for at least a few months of searching... Some deals will pass you by, but that's fine, because you want your first pin to be the right one and not just any "DEAL".
    Always play before you buy a machine if possible. There was a minor red flag when I bought my Breakshot. Not blaming anyone... Or if anyone gets the blame it would be me. The issue with my MPU board which is fried was slightly apparent when I first bought the machine, but I was too dumb to notice or know about it.
    But, that also brings me to another point. I would recommend most people to buy a popular machine. That way you know there will be parts and that you can service it and replace it. A rare machine, by a rare company, the parts can be hard to find. But, even a special mech for a low selling machine can be hard to come by.

And this is my last bit of advice. Know your home, and know your pins replayability. Most people do not have a huge home. I bought a Hardbody and a Raven as I like the themes... But, the gameplay while fun, does not hold my interest past 10-30 minutes of gameplay. While I can play my Iron Maiden for hours on end. Yes... Iron Maiden is newer. But, I think you should always try to buy deep games for home use. If you can have a 4-5 pin collection, then all means get a few more shallow games. Something like a Sorcerer or Space Shuttle I would consider a fun shooting, but shallow game.

Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have bought a breakshot to be my first pin(and I love breakshot), I also would never have bought Hardbody or Raven and I enjoy both of those. I kind of wish I hadn't as I could have almost bought a Ghostbusters for what I paid for those. And it would take up less space in my house.
    So really be mindful of your space.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Diospinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buying-owning-your-first-pin-things-you-wish-you-had-known?tu=Diospinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.