Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Snowyetti
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

Hey guys, I'm looking to buy my second pin. I currently have a JP in great condition and I'm looking to add. I'm fortunate enough to live close to a very reputable repair/ collector and I'm going over tomorrow night to check some pins. My max budget is $2500 and I am only considering SS games around 1990 and newer. He has a South Park in fantastic condition and a Starship Trooper in equal condition ready to roll. He said he can do either one at $2300 which seems fair to me considering the condition they are in (mint). He also has about 40-60 pins in (overstock haha) that I'm going over to look at. Of course I would love a creature or funhouse but that's just way too much for right now. So since I have a limited budget but access to some fantastic pins in great condition is there anything I should be looking out for in that range? Taxi? Fish Tales? Whirlwind? All info and advice is appreciated.
    Thanks!

#2 10 years ago

Hey,

I would choose Taxi, Whirlwind, or Fish Tales over Starship Troopers or South Park. I won't say the price is tremendously out in left field, but they aren't really well-loved games in home collections. For the money, you could pick up a REALLY nice Whirlwind or Earthshaker, and you'd be dealing with give or take the best of the late solid-state games as opposed to some so-so DMD games. To use myself as an example, I have a PinBot, and since I have purchased it, I've bought and sold The Shadow, WhiteWater, Twilight Zone, and two Williams Indiana Jones. The PinBot is still here. Just my two cents.

Luke

#3 10 years ago

I would pick SST over SP in a heartbeat. MUCH better game! Price isn't horrible if it's in really nice shape, but you can find them for under $2k. FT might get old sooner in a small collection (did I just say that?). Whirlwind is a fun challengin game. If you want a more recent pin with great flow and incredible depth/strategy, but easy for beginners to play, my #1 rec would be World Poker Tour, of course. Ritchie layout, Keefer rules, Granner music, and around $2k. Plus 16 drop targets!

#4 10 years ago

Sounds like a good problem to have, Grabber!

Starship Troopers is a "sleeper" in my opinion. (As in, good, but not many people know it)

You mentioned a few goodies. FT, Taxi, WW, you will have fun with any of those. I would go for something a little different than JP, so I would stay away from a PL type ruleset (Funhouse)

Those early 90's are getting higher and higher $- might want to consider some late 80's!

Congrats on #2!

#5 10 years ago

Thanks for the input, this is all really exiting. I have also have access to a royal rumble from a guy that doesn't collect or play. He says it's in great condition but I haven't checked it yet and don't really know what I'm getting. I can get that for under $2000. I also have a soft spot for phantom of the opera. Another game I had my eye on in that range would be a teed off. Any other sleepers I should look out for? Plus the Allentown show is around the corner, should I hold out? I'm in no hurry.
    Thanks!

#6 10 years ago

I forgot to ask, is a white water ever found in the $2000 price range?

#7 10 years ago

Royal Rumble=no. Teed off is going to cost you a few hundred more. Like others ^ said, Fish Tales for a DMD pin and anything system 11 is good gameplay and value. Whirlwind and Taxi and Diner are all great pins. Either/or.. I'd stay away from Sega, but whatever you choose, have fun Annnnnnnd Congrats!~SpOoKy

#8 10 years ago

White Water was under $2000 for years up until 3-4 years ago but is now $4k+ for a nice one. It really took off. I would recommend avoiding Teed Off and South Park. Some good DMD pins available under $2500 would include Fish Tales, Geataway, Congo, Dracula, Road Show, Judge Dredd, Demolition Man, Johnny Mnemonic. Then maybe Frankenstein, Baywatch, Starship Troopers, Tales From The Crypt. Non DMD maybe Whirlwind, Elvira, Swords of Fury, Cyclone. That should do for now.

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from SpOoKyRiDeS:

Royal Rumble=no. ~Spooky

Whats wrong with WWF RR? I've never played one?

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

my #1 rec would be World Poker Tour, of course. Ritchie layout, Keefer rules, Granner music, and around $2k. Plus 16 drop targets!

I've been looking for a WPT. Anybody selling a nice one for $2K, or if anyone sees one, hit me up. Thanks.

#11 10 years ago

Nothings wrong with wwf rr if your into the theme, but he has the $$$ to get a much better pin with staying power. And in a smaller collection, I think he needs something that will retain its value and not get old fast.~SpOoKy

#12 10 years ago

Tftc is great ft is fun and I wish woulda bought my friends white water when I had the chance afew years ago for 1800 but I thought he was crazy wtf was I wrong

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buying-my-second-pin-choices-choices-choices and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.