Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 48 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by kingau
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

used-cars_(resized).jpg
    #1 8 years ago

Hi every one

I am buying my first pinball machine, and need advice.

1. when buying a pin.. should I buy a new pin or an old pin?

2. dealing with a pinball dealer... is it supposed to feel like I'm buying a used car?

thanks in advance

#2 8 years ago

For your first you should buy a used to get the feel of things.

#3 8 years ago
    Quoted from kingau:

Hi every one
    I am buying my first pinball machine, and need advice.
    1. when buying a pin.. should I buy a new pin or an old pin?
    2. dealing with a pinball dealer... is it supposed to feel like I'm buying a used car?
    thanks in advance

That depends on your technical capabilities. If you like tinkering and repairing things, finding and repairing and older broken machine can be very rewarding.

If you really aren't to interested in that, buying a game from a dealer with support services (either a used game or a new game) might be a better way to go for you, even though it will be more expensive.

No, it shouldn't be like buying a used car. If you don't like the seller/dealer, shop around and try someone else. Being in/near NYC, there are a number of options in the surrounding area.

#4 8 years ago

thanks hassanchop, ForceFlow!!

I'm an arcade collector and now I have the pinball fever, I know how to repair old crt and wire, soldier,inc.
    so I'm taking your advice I'm going to get an old pin.

I was dealing with a dealer and at first they were nice... after all the paper work was done.
    now they act like they don't care, as long as they get the money

#5 8 years ago

If you can work on arcades, you can work on pins. Whats your budget? There are lots of threads on here you can search through with top games for basically any budget if you aren't sure what you want yet.

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from kingau:

thanks hassanchop, ForceFlow!!
    I'm an arcade collector and now I have the pinball fever, I know how to repair old crt and wire, soldier,inc.
    so I'm taking your advice I'm going to get an old pin.
    I was dealing with a dealer and at first they were nice... after all the paper work was done.
    now they act like they don't care, as long as they get the money

What did you end up getting? Unless you filled out some paperwork but didn't buy anything?

#7 8 years ago

For your first pin I think a lot of it is about budget and what's available.
    Costs of pins are a huge jump from costs of arcade games. I would suggest listing a bunch of titles you are interested in and get some feedback on them here. Any titles you want to get or what are your current choices? How much are they asking?

Are you wanting to start off on older EM games of modern dmd type games?

And welcome to the sickness lol! 1 machine tends to multiply over time wether you think you have the space for it or not.

#8 8 years ago

I'm sure you can find something here. Scroll through the top 200 find a couple titles you like read about them and go from there. Click on the red mfs icon in front of a fs thread and only machines for sale will pop up. Since you'll only have one to start pick one that has a deep entertaining ruleset. Project, shopped,restored, nib, you can find em all right here on pinside.

#9 8 years ago

If buying an EM pin, (my suggestion) do not pay more than $400-500,
    you should be able to find a working pin in good cosmetic condition for that price easily .
    If buying a early era solid state pin, you solid find a solid pin for $800-1000.
    DMD pins might cost you in the $2-3000 range.
    Just be patient.
    But know that you will have to eventually learn to fix your own pins.

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

If buying an EM pin, (my suggestion) do not pay more than $400-500,
    you should be able to find a working pin in good cosmetic condition for that price easily.

Is this still realistic advice? What are the best games you can get that max out at $4-500 for a cosmetically nice, working one?

I certainly know they're out there, but all of my favorite EMs hover maybe a little below $1000 these days for nice ones, some more collectible ones even $1500+. Lots of EM guys say to never pay more than a couple hundred for EMs, but I'd never find the games I actually want to own for that, especially one that's not a big project.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from DefaultGen:

What did you end up getting? Unless you filled out some paperwork but didn't buy anything?

I have not gotten the pin as of yet , have the paper work but I have not sign anything. it just bothers me that I'm sending 3,000 cash for a pin and get treated like I should be happy the dealer even wants to sell to me....?

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from kingau:

I have not gotten the pin as of yet , have the paper work but I have not sign anything. it just bothers me that I'm sending 3,000 cash for a pin and get treated like I should be happy the dealer even wants to sell to me....?

I wouldn't be either...F-that noise.

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from kingau:

If it doesn't feel right don't do it! I think Gwaxt is in your area and always has some pretty good deals

#14 8 years ago

Dupe post

#15 8 years ago

There is your problem, go look at the machine, have the dealer walk you through it, then if you like the game pay cash then or walk away. Education on the first pin is a must.

#16 8 years ago

"charles4400 - Any titles you want to get or what are your current choices?"

the pins I want to get are
    bride of pinbot
    taxi
    twilight zone
    shadow
    pins by python Anghelo
    I'm big fan of the modern pinballs

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from kingau:

dealing with a pinball dealer... is it supposed to feel like I'm buying a used car?

Usually.

used-cars_(resized).jpgused-cars_(resized).jpg

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

If it doesn't feel right don't do it! I think Gwaxt is in your area and always has some pretty good deals

Great advice. Talk to Rob (Gwaxt72). He is an honest and friendly guy who offers nice pins at really good prices.

#19 8 years ago

I have talk to Gwaxt72, great guy.

but he does not have the pin I am looking for.

but thanks for the info

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from kingau:

it just bothers me that I'm sending 3,000 cash for a pin and get treated like I should be happy the dealer even wants to sell to me....?

Wait, are you saying you've never seen the game in person???????

NEVER, ever buy your first game without seeing and playing it.

You will be ripped off royally.

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Wait, are you saying you've never seen the game in person???????
    NEVER, ever buy your first game without seeing and playing it.
    You will be ripped off royally.

Wow I never knew that... I thought I if its a dealer they would have it cleaned and ready to use....
    man I'm such a noob

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from DefaultGen:

Is this still realistic advice? What are the best games you can get that max out at $4-500 for a cosmetically nice, working one?

Key word is be patient, being that OP is back east a decent working EM pin should not be that hard to find.
    Admittedly I have not bought an EM in >5 yrs, but my avg purchase price on most of my EM pins has been $500 or less.
    Yes, high demand GTB wedgeheads will cost more,
    but was suggesting to try his hand on a middle of the road Multiplayer pin from the late 60s to 70s.
    But anyway looks like the OP is more interested in getting his feet wet with a 1990s pin anyway.

#23 8 years ago

Since you're a video collector, you should have plenty of experience dealing with coin-op equipment. Same rules apply.

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from kingau:

but thanks for the info

If you have a little patience he eventually will I would think

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from kingau:

"charles4400 - Any titles you want to get or what are your current choices?"
    the pins I want to get are
    bride of pinbot
    taxi
    twilight zone
    shadow
    pins by python Anghelo
    I'm big fan of the modern pinballs

Out of that list your big ticket item is the Twilight Zone (TZ). You'll spend some $$$ getting that pin, the better condition the more it will be obviously. It's a winner and is on my list of pins to get. I estimate 5k + for a good one, so if you have the budget for it I'd get it. It's not known for it's flow but a sure A list title with one of the best themes.

Around the 3k mark, the Shadow has also great reviews for a lower priced pin Search around on the forums and you'll see a lot of people love that pin as its at an affordable price point with apparently lots of bang for the buck. That being said I have never owned or played one.

those are your dmd pins you have listed (dot matrix display), so you get all the animations and such on the screen. I would think you would like a DMD pin for your first pin (and future ones!)

Bride of pinbot and taxi are also very poplular not dmd.. I don't have experience with them as I have not been in the market for either of them, so maybe others can chime in as far as cost, but those are popular titles which get a lot of love here.

If you have the cash go for the TZ, can't go wrong with it imo, or for a lower price point get the Shadow would be my advice.

My first pin was a STTNG (Star Trek The Next Generation) and that got me hooked and I still have it, it was a pain in the ass to fix, and I was way overwhelmed by trying, but I learned tons from doing so. I believe in putting a little more money down for a good first pin and a theme you really like. You'll enjoy playing and fixing and tinkering with it so much more if its something you really like and want rather than something you are just settling for.

#26 8 years ago
    Quoted from kingau:

Wow I never knew that... I thought I if its a dealer they would have it cleaned and ready to use....
    man I'm such a noob

Many pin dealers, just like used car dealers, are masters of deception.

They will hack together a game to get it running just long enough to sell it.

They will slop on liquid silicone to make the playfield look glossy for a week.

They will use any odd part or odd brand to make a repair.

Then will use a paint brush to touch up wear and scratches.

And the worst part is, that a million things can go wrong when shipping a pin cross-country, so you won't know if it's the dealer's fault or not when the pin does not work upon arrival.

#27 8 years ago

You forgot one little point when buying your first pin.

Make sure you have room for at least one or two more, pins are like gremlins they multiply fast

#28 8 years ago

Take your time. Buying from a retailer doesn't necessarily mean you are getting ripped off but you will pay more. They should get the game working 100%, cleaned up, and new rubbers. If you are not comfortable with the deal and know exactly what you are getting, walk away. Consider a new pin. It will cost a lot but should work trouble free for long time.

#29 8 years ago

thanks a lot guys for the advice, it had been a bit stressful picking the right pin and dealing with dealers.

Quoted from J85M:

You forgot one little point when buying your first pin.
    Make sure you have room for at least one or two more, pins are like gremlins they multiply fast

yes I agree that's what happen with my arcade machines.

#30 8 years ago
    Quoted from kingau:

thanks a lot guys for the advice, it had been a bit stressful picking the right pin and dealing with dealers.

yes I agree that's what happen with my arcade machines.

Used pin prices are all over the map, just stay away from ebay in my opinion. I've had the best luck on craigslist looking for used pins. I've only bought one new pin, and it was a bad experience. I purchased a Star Trek Pro last November, got it from TNT Amusements. I was totally new to buying NIB machines. I had no idea that there were "distributors" that offered lower prices than listed, and I also wasn't on pinside yet. I totally walked into a bad deal, paid $5,495 plus $300 shipping for a pin that I could have got for $4,800 with free shipping - a full $1,000 rip off. Lesson learned. It's really good you found pinside and are really doing your homework, I wish I would have. There are business's that prey off of people like me that come into the hobby without a clue what they are doing. The stupid part is that they didn't even ship it from their warehouse, it was shipped direct from another distributor, probably automated or something.

#31 8 years ago
    Quoted from craigj:

Used pin prices are all over the map, just stay away from ebay in my opinion. I've had the best luck on craigslist looking for used pins. I've only bought one new pin, and it was a bad experience. I purchased a Star Trek Pro last November, got it from TNT Amusements. I was totally new to buying NIB machines. I had no idea that there were "distributors" that offered lower prices than listed, and I also wasn't on pinside yet. I totally walked into a bad deal, paid $5,495 plus $300 shipping for a pin that I could have got for $4,800 with free shipping - a full $1,000 rip off. Lesson learned. It's really good you found pinside and are really doing your homework, I wish I would have. There are business's that prey off of people like me that come into the hobby without a clue what they are doing. The stupid part is that they didn't even ship it from their warehouse, it was shipped direct from another distributor, probably automated or something.

thanks for the heads up "craigj"

I was getting a bad feeling from the dealer. and came here to see if what was happening is right.
    I understand it's a business.. but when your buying something that cost 3,000 or more.
    you want to be treated with a bit of respect at lest.

#32 8 years ago

Buy off the marketplace on Pinside. Get to know the person here who you are buying from.
    Hopefully, you will find some local pin collectors soon. Maybe one of them have something you want.

#33 8 years ago
    Quoted from kingau:

man I'm such a noob

I bought my first pin when I was around 30. It was STTNG from a local pinball / pool table / games room type shop. This game I played a ton as a kid growing up and really wanted it. Paid at the time 4500 Cdn for it.... only played it briefly at the shop as I thought I knew the game. Well as a first time actual pin owner, I knew nothing.

When I got the game home I realized there were so many issues with it, locks not working, lights out, opto problems etc. Ended up having another guy totally work it over and it cost me close to another cool G to have it *really* in working condition and boy what a different game.

I guess the point I am making is that don't assume a shop will also be giving you a functional game. I truly believe that 99/100 times you will be getting a better game then something you would (used) from a dealer 'shop'. I should add, a shop that sells more than pinball. If you deal with a guy that *only* has pins, chances are they will be a bit more specialized and focused.

I've actually bought 3 pinball machines that I did not see in person and did not play 1st hand.

LOTR - huo, was 1st owner, less than 200 plays. Incredible.
    NGG - multiple owners but also great condition
    Tron Pro - recently purchased, huo but better than nib (awesome mods etc.)

These I had to arrange freight, pick up in the US and ship to Canada. Paypal / wire in advance and hope the guys are honest. So far I have not been burned, maybe one day. As others posted here, look at what is for sale and by who. Search the guy on pinside and see if he has sold other items. Has he been around for awhile? Made any posts? Look for feedback. Listen to your spidey senses.

As you gain more XP and level up you will know what questions to ask, what to look for, read about the pin you are buying and learn about inherent issues with it etc. but you'll be much more confident in your future collection purchases. You may even learn a little bit about repairs (if you don't already)

Have fun and good luck, the crowd here is great - don't be shy to keep asking questions.

mittens

#34 8 years ago
    Quoted from kingau:

but thanks for the info

For your first pin, I wouldn't get stuck on a specific title. Find a cheap one, watch a few videos of gameplay, try one somewhere if you can. If it's cheap enough, you can always sell it for what you paid and then after playing and tinkering you will know if you want to pursue the titles you really want.

I've just been buying pins that become available. I haven't really bought any of the ones I really want but I've enjoyed the ones I have and they've taught me much. It also is cheaper if I'm patient for the ones I really want than to go out of my way to find them immediately.

#35 8 years ago

Dear god, don't buy your first pin from a dealer. You need to skip all that noise. You're better off buying a Taxi (as your first pin) from the list you provided earlier.

A good friend of mine sold a decent, clean, fully working one for 2K at the Ohio show this past week. Be patient and don't ship your first pin. It will be worth playing it in person so you can see it perform.

It should have strong flippers and look clean. Have whomever you are buying from show you all the lamps and coils work. If they don't know how to go into test mode and show you these things, RUN AWAY FAST. Any person/dealer selling a machine that does not know how to use test modes to show a game is fully working is likely a newbie or scammer.

Ask a ton of questions and post pics of the game(s) you're considering on in this thread, if you need advice.

#36 8 years ago

My two cents...I've been looking for a good Firepower for a while now...and keep coming up empty. Everyone tells me that I should be looking in the $1,200-800 range, but you see these crazy $3,000-$2,500 prices on eBay and local (CT) dealers sites. Anyone that I have looked at locally is either overpriced or has some excuse as to why they can't sell right now. Some guy even closed his Craigslist add last minute saying that he no longer wanted to sell. I've had terrible luck so far, and still have no Firepower. All I can say is if you can get your hands on a decent one, all the power to you...I haven't been able to!

#37 8 years ago

Echo a lot of what is said here especially from mittens. Share your nervousness being new to pin buying but Ive had success with sellers here at Pinside. I have observed and learned a lot in a short period of time beyond my system 11's comfort zone which appear to be in your price range as well. Bottom line, It's your money - be patient, play a lot of em' and work with those with experience and reputation who gave same TLC to a game you really enjoy as well.

#38 8 years ago

Its never just one. . They tend to multiply overnight sometimes

#39 8 years ago

the problem with gameroom dealers is they are usually not pinball experts. shopping a used pinball machine is time-consuming and complicated work. most of them don't have the expertise to do a very good job, and even if they are knowledgeable, their time is money ... they rarely go over them with anywhere near as much effort as a private hobbyist would.

ebay is almost always a ripoff.

craigslist is a crapshoot at best, and even then you will almost certainly get sniped by a dozen other pinball hawks on any deal worth jumping at.

the marketplace here on Pinside is what i would recommend to first time pinball machine buyers, hands down. the advantage here is you take a look at a marketplace ad, and then you can click on that seller's username and review their forum history and you can get a really good feel for that person. many sellers here have thousands of posts and are frequent contributors to tech threads and active members of the community. in short, you can verify that the seller is a (relative) expert on pinball machines, and that they have a reputation to maintain not just from a business standpoint, but from a social one as well, here amongst their friends on Pinside .... plus you know where to find them if you have problems -- just send them a PM, or if things go south, call them out on the forum. That ALWAYS gets a person's attention . but really, most of us here are friendly hobbyists who care a lot about our games, and who have poured much more TLC into them than a retailer is likely to.

all that said, for your first game, DO NOT buy a game you haven't played in person first! so by all means use the Pinside marketplace, and use the seller's forum history as a reliable means of establishing character, but look for games within driving distance, so you can check them out in person before pulling the trigger.

good luck and welcome to Pinside!!

#40 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Since you're a video collector, you should have plenty of experience dealing with coin-op equipment. Same rules apply.

Dealers have high prices. Collectors have high prices. Everything has hidden problems. And everyone else but you is getting great deals.

#41 8 years ago

My advice would be to find a pinsider that lives near you, ask for help. It would be worth it to even pay someone to go with you to help check out a game. I would never buy a used game from a dealer, you are better off buying from another collector (someone who has a good rep, remember you can ask here if they have been around a while people will chime in) For a first game a System 11 game would be a good start, or an early WPC machine. There are tons of resources for fixing/maintaining those games and parts are plentiful.

Good luck

#42 8 years ago
    Quoted from simplykind:

If you can work on arcades, you can work on pins.

If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

#43 8 years ago

I just want to say thank you, to all of you for the advice.
    now all I have to do is sit and wait, till one good pin shows up.

#44 8 years ago

My advice is get to know the local players. Join a league and get to know more machines. You will expand your list and increase your chances of finding a machine you will like. If you can, buy from one of your new friends. You are less likely to get ripped off by someone you know you will see again.

1 month later
    #45 7 years ago

one question, does TNT (Todd) wheel and deal, or are his prices set in stone? can you walk in there and nock off a few hundred or are his sticker prices set?

3 weeks later
    #46 7 years ago

Hey kingau, looks like you got your first pin and a good choice too with a Taxi.

Now it's only a matter of time before you start a new thread "buying my second pinball machine"

#47 7 years ago
    Quoted from AlexfromPA:

one question, does TNT (Todd) wheel and deal, or are his prices set in stone? can you walk in there and nock off a few hundred or are his sticker prices set?

Anything is negotiable

8 months later
    #48 7 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

Hey kingau, looks like you got your first pin and a good choice too with a Taxi.
    Now it's only a matter of time before you start a new thread "buying my second pinball machine"

So true.. I am on the hunt for a second pin!!!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buying-my-frist-pinball-machine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.