Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E72155B3-3F32-4344-8630-A336D0D3F3F8 (resized).jpeg
20160630_210716 (resized).jpg
4138036B-6A78-4E79-B25F-C2911618CC5D (resized).jpeg
aa (resized).jpg
download (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinbear.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Hi all,
I am looking for my first pinball machine. I am 30ish years old. My favorite pinball machine while I was kid is Jurassic Park. It was so exciting while

I have done the research for about a month and tried some pinballs in Pacific Pinball Museum. Also watched many review videos online such as Stern SPIKE system, 90s Pinball machines, Jersey Jack machines... and the Top 100 rating here.

Now I am targeting a new machine (tried to avoid pre-owned machines because I don't know how to fix it if there is any problem)

Here is my list ...

1. Medieval Madness Remake
Really like it! I tried it in Pacific Pinball Museum. Any recommend retail?

2. Jersey Jack machine ...
Dailed in or The Hobbit. I tried Dialed in because for the high rating, but I am not a fan of the theme ...
Their machines look fancy! Totally different then what I knew before.

3. Strem machine:
I tried Ghostbusters but not like it. AC/DC has high rating but I don't know the band ... So maybe Star wars

Any suggestions for first pinball machine buyer is welcome. Retail recommendation.. Things I need to know before I bought one and the most important is ...

How to convince my wife to let me get one ...

Thank you!

#28 6 years ago

Thanks, everyone!

I did bring my family to the Pacific Pinball Museum. My 6 years old daughter and 2 years old son love it! but not my wife....

She thinks it just likes a video game.... why we put a video game arcade at home?!

Anyway.. I still want to get one! Maybe MMR if I found a good deal or just wait for JJP Pirates of the Caribbean.

I am really appreciated all of yours advice.

3 weeks later
#35 6 years ago

Thanks everyone.

After couple weeks research, we decided to get Wizard of Oz as my first pinball machine. My wife and I both agree it would be a good family game (shhhhhhh ... she doesn't know the real price). Also I want to thank to my neighbor Pinhead fnosm for inviting me and my daughter to visit his collections and gave a Pinball newbie (me!) very useful advice.

#38 6 years ago

OH NO... it seems Wizard of Oz 75th edition is out of stock ... anyone knows which distributors has it in stock?

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

You’re 30ish and don’t know AC/DC?

Forget the pin for now, we need to get you caught up with some music appreciation first.

Guys... I feel so sorry ... after google AC/DC, I DO know some of their songs, such as Highway to Hell. I love AC/DC Luci artwork but I think my wife won't allow me to put it in our family room ....

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from arcadenerd925:

Don't stress, they still make them. You should have no trouble finding one.
I have heard good things about the above mentioned Joe at pinballstar
The last few games I have bought were through JJ @ GameExchange: https://gameexchange.biz/collections/pinball-machines/products/wizard-of-oz-75th-anv-edition

I just talked to them this morning and they don’t have it now ...

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Searching the market here at Pinside, i found this listing for one through Pinball Star Amusements: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/55541

Do they add 3% if paid by credit card?

#51 6 years ago
Quoted from Zavadoza:

I second calling Joe at PinballStar. He will take care of you.

Quoted from arcadenerd925:

If Joe doesnt have any, try Automated 800.727.8363, they tend to horde a lot of stock.

Thanks! I will try to poke those distributors around.

#52 6 years ago

Thanks to everyone!

Just found one and placed the order.

Hope everything goes smoothly!

#55 6 years ago
Quoted from V4Vendetta:

did you try the WOZ? My wife wanted one for the home so everyone can play it but I tried it and really wasn't feeling the game at all, not even little bit and I really wanted to like the game but when you play a game, you usually know right away if it's the right game for you.

Yes, both my daughter and I tried it. I need to admit one thing that is I have not played pinball for about 20 years.

I am not a native English speaker. While I was a kid and playing the pinball machines, I can't read the English, I don't know the rule, I just kept the ball alive and trying to hit the target I want. But now I can read the English, I can understand the hint machine gave, I can follow the rule and I feel so much fun on it.

From my recently tried pinballs, I have the same feel on Dialed In and The Hobbit as your feeling on WOZ. I spent a day at Pacific Pinball Museum, I tried Dialed In, Medieval Madness , Ghostbusters (Pro), Twilight Zone , Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure and Theatre of Magic. My daughter loves TOM and I love MM!

But while a neighbor pinsider invited us to visited his collections, OMG my daughter really love WOZ and the Ruby Red edition is gorgeous! I also tried TH and gave DI another chance but I just don't get it. For me, MM > WOZ > TH >>> DI.

Maybe because I have not played pinball for 20 years... so I think WOZ will be a good first pinball machine for the family (At least my wife approved the theme!).

The most important part is .....I believe WOZ won't be my last Pinball machine.

Maybe I will get Medieval Madness (Remake - LE) or Pirates of the Caribbean (LE) in a few years.

Thanks!

#57 6 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

Good choice. If you get MM next you'll have what would be the ideal two pin collection, in my opinion.

I hope they will keep producing MMR or doing Monster Bash Remake. I like MB, too!

#59 6 years ago

I got my WOZ 75th from Automated service today.

The light is v1.1 not v2.0 as they told me on the phone.

The shooter rod is black not ruby red. The shooter rod plate is silver not ruby red.

I don't see the topper in the box.

And the speaker is buzzing while no sound is played.

This machine was made in 11/2016.

I am really frustrated at Automated service now and so is JJP's quality..

#61 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Sounds like you got a standard instead of a 75th? What color is the lockdown bar? Is there a small Toto figure over the shooter lane?

Yes. I got Toto. Lockdown bar is red. Rail is red. Leg is red. Backbox shows 75th edition and missing topper.

E72155B3-3F32-4344-8630-A336D0D3F3F8 (resized).jpegE72155B3-3F32-4344-8630-A336D0D3F3F8 (resized).jpeg

#62 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

he buzzing is a common issue — I think it’s usually solved by moving the line filter.

Where to find the line filter?

#67 6 years ago
Quoted from apinballwiz:

I believe the line filter is the small black box mounted inside the computer cage attached by a couple of tie-cables. Check out you-tube for a good video.

Thanks. Found the youtube video and will try to fix it later tonight. Because my daughter is too excited!! I can't do anything on it now....

Quoted from apinballwiz:

The shooter rod and plate are the correct RR75 stock colors.
If you call JJP they will send you a replacement topper immediately - outstanding customer service.
Speaker buzzing unfortunately is common, there are simple fixes for that.

Thank you, again. It makes me feel better.

#68 6 years ago

Just sent out the email to Mike and JJP.

It is Friday and TPF this week. I just wanted to enjoy the game with my family this weekend and wait till next week for the response.

Thank you, everyone!

#71 6 years ago
Quoted from V4Vendetta:

hey OP so what's your opinion on WOZ since you've had it for few days now?

We really love it! My friends came over during the weekend said WOZ is a masterpiece (because we only remember 90s' pinball machines). It is fun to play, easy for beginner to understand the rule. (Just follow the yellow brick road!).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 150.00
Cabinet - Other
Starcade Amusement

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
7,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Salinas, CA
$ 91.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,059.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinbear.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buying-my-first-pinball?tu=Pinbear and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.