Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E72155B3-3F32-4344-8630-A336D0D3F3F8 (resized).jpeg
20160630_210716 (resized).jpg
4138036B-6A78-4E79-B25F-C2911618CC5D (resized).jpeg
aa (resized).jpg
download (resized).png
There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

Hi all,
I am looking for my first pinball machine. I am 30ish years old. My favorite pinball machine while I was kid is Jurassic Park. It was so exciting while

I have done the research for about a month and tried some pinballs in Pacific Pinball Museum. Also watched many review videos online such as Stern SPIKE system, 90s Pinball machines, Jersey Jack machines... and the Top 100 rating here.

Now I am targeting a new machine (tried to avoid pre-owned machines because I don't know how to fix it if there is any problem)

Here is my list ...

1. Medieval Madness Remake
Really like it! I tried it in Pacific Pinball Museum. Any recommend retail?

2. Jersey Jack machine ...
Dailed in or The Hobbit. I tried Dialed in because for the high rating, but I am not a fan of the theme ...
Their machines look fancy! Totally different then what I knew before.

3. Strem machine:
I tried Ghostbusters but not like it. AC/DC has high rating but I don't know the band ... So maybe Star wars

Any suggestions for first pinball machine buyer is welcome. Retail recommendation.. Things I need to know before I bought one and the most important is ...

How to convince my wife to let me get one ...

Thank you!

#2 6 years ago

Strem for sure.

download (resized).pngdownload (resized).png

#3 6 years ago

You cant go wrong with MM, AFM or JJP machine for your first game. Those are proven to be well liked. AFM I have in my collection the longest of all my pins following TZ.

#4 6 years ago

aa (resized).jpgaa (resized).jpg

#5 6 years ago

Don’t ask the wife, just do it, she will most likely not understand the value. If you buy a new Stern stick with a Pro. If you want JJP pickup a RRWOZ since you don’t like DILE. Best recommendation is to just buy an MMr or AFMr as you know they are solid classics.

#6 6 years ago

Welcome to Pinside and good luck convincing the wife!!

As for what machine to get ... well, you’re already doing the right thing by playing lots of games in person! There’s no better way to decide. Rankings are subjective and at least partially based on factors you likely don’t care about.

I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss the idea of a used game — I’m sure ~$3000 would a much easier sell to the wife than the $6500 or whatever for a new game. There are some really fun games in that range, even if they’re not “top 10” in the rankings. Seek out a World Cup Soccer, F-14 Tomcat, The Getaway: High Speed II, Funhouse, and other games. You might really enjoy something just as much for half the price of a new-in-box game, and if something does go wrong ... well that’s what this forum is for . Fixing pinball machines isn’t rocket science.

By the way, if you do go the used route, you will probably get a better deal on the Pinside marketplace than from a retailer.

#7 6 years ago

Here’s the secret... don’t tell you wife how much it really costs. Make sure you get to play all the pins you are interested in. You dont want to pay $8000 and hate a game. Go find a local arcade/barcade and put some time into some pins to see what you like.

4138036B-6A78-4E79-B25F-C2911618CC5D (resized).jpeg4138036B-6A78-4E79-B25F-C2911618CC5D (resized).jpeg

#8 6 years ago

The best way to get something by your wife without her complaining is....... to not have one.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The best way to get something by your wife without her complaining is....... to not have one.

Have you been talking to my wife?

#10 6 years ago

Start with a popular used game that has good resale just in case you don't care for it down the road. I agree that the best thing to do is play as many as possible first to see what you like. Some people want machines with deep rule sets and others just want cool ramps and drops. Also, make sure you like the sounds it makes (often overlooked due to noise of arcade). Some may drive you nuts! My 2 cents, but I am fairly new to the hobby - good luck!

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from corvettepinner:

Also, make sure you like the sounds it makes (often overlooked due to noise of arcade). Some may drive you nuts!

This is very true! Funhouse is a quite popular and high ranked game, but I go mad as I hear its music. It might be a great game, but I won’t be able to play it unless I found a muted one

#12 6 years ago

Like others have said, don't dismiss the idea of used games. I've had more issues with NIB than used games for sure.
Play as many as possible and educate yourself before buying. You'll be much happier than rushing a purchase you may regret, and having a game you can't easily unload. Make friends with people in the scene and they'll help you out with repairs.

#13 6 years ago

Make room for more than 1 pin.....they tend to multiply!

#14 6 years ago

Go into the hobby knowing that you will have to fix something down the road. Pinside is a great resource for repair help. As far as buying your first game, if you buy used check on here for games near you from other pinsiders. Pinsiders, for the most part, tend to take better care of their games opposed to that guy on Craigslist.

#15 6 years ago

Call different distributors and ask for pricing. The advertised price of a NIB is higher than the price you should pay. There are many good ones out there. Colorado Game Exchange and Cointaker have both been good to me in price and customer service

#16 6 years ago

Wow, new game price.Yes she will kill you. Loik at 90's games , there is alot for reliability and support for those games. Then when she asks you can say "be glad I didn't buy anew one. We saved money buying this one."

20160630_210716 (resized).jpg20160630_210716 (resized).jpg

#17 6 years ago

I just bought my first pinball last month. It has been a great success. I bought a Stern POTC. Why, because my entire family liked it. I enjoy it, my wife liked it the most of any, and my 9yr old daughters love it.

I figure starting with a machine that the entire family enjoys really will help set the tone for future endeavors in the pinball hobby.

So find what makes all of you happy (including yourself) and go for it. Having the most popular machine does nothing if you don't actually like it.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from Experiment626:

I figure starting with a machine that the entire family enjoys really will help set the tone for future endeavors in the pinball hobby.

That's the ticket!

#19 6 years ago

Try taking your wife with to play. Maybe she will find one she likes, then you should be golden. Buy her hers then a few months later..... its much easier to talk her into letting you buy yours!

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

Call different distributors and ask for pricing. The advertised price of a NIB is higher than the price you should pay. There are many good ones out there. Colorado Game Exchange and Cointaker have both been good to me in price and customer service

Really? I've been trying to buy a new MM, I wanted to buy one local, but both distributers are adding a shipping charge to the $8,000, even if I pick it up. Is that normal?

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from Dodgefolks:

Really? I've been trying to buy a new MM, I wanted to buy one local, but both distributers are adding a shipping charge to the $8,000, even if I pick it up. Is that normal?

$8,300 shipped for MMr is what I’ve been quoted by multiple.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

$8,300 shipped for MMr is what I’ve been quoted by multiple.

I've been trying to save that 300 by picking it up at the distributers but they still want to charge me shipping.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from Dodgefolks:

I've been trying to save that 300 by picking it up at the distributers but they still want to charge me shipping.

I was charged shipping for picking up my JJP as well.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from Dodgefolks:

Quoted from TheLaw:

I was charged shipping for picking up my JJP as well.

I'm guessing paying for "shipping" is cheaper than paying the sales tax that an on location purchase would require.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from Slim64:

I'm guessing paying for "shipping" is cheaper than paying the sales tax that an on location purchase would require.

Right you are. I don't usually think of it cause i pick up my games in Ohio.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from Slim64:

It is until the taxman comes knocking on your door looking to collect his "use tax". Then you get the double whammy.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It is until the taxman comes knocking on your door looking to collect his "use tax". Then you get the double whammy.

Washington State purchasers are likely to run afoul of the new law that insists on either the collection of sales tax or the reporting of the sale for use tax collection purposes. Does mean that local distributors will be a better deal again...

https://dor.wa.gov/find-taxes-rates/retail-sales-tax/marketplace-fairness-leveling-playing-field

#28 6 years ago

Thanks, everyone!

I did bring my family to the Pacific Pinball Museum. My 6 years old daughter and 2 years old son love it! but not my wife....

She thinks it just likes a video game.... why we put a video game arcade at home?!

Anyway.. I still want to get one! Maybe MMR if I found a good deal or just wait for JJP Pirates of the Caribbean.

I am really appreciated all of yours advice.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinbear:

Thanks, everyone!
I did bring my family to the Pacific Pinball Museum. My 6 years old daughter and 2 years old son love it! but not my wife....
She thinks it just likes a video game.... why we put a video game arcade at home?!
Anyway.. I still want to get one! Maybe MMR if I found a good deal or just wait for JJP Pirates of the Caribbean.
I am really appreciated all of yours advice.

If you have a garage then most spouses are okay with keeping games there instead of inside the house. Just depends on how controlling and soul crushing your wife wants to be .

#30 6 years ago

Im in San Mateo not to far from you
If you need any advice on a new purchase let me know.

#31 6 years ago

Call Larry at Flip N Out Pinball. He’ll have an MMR to your door in no time. Great people to deal with.

#32 6 years ago

I have a recently shopped WPT with Comet leds, mirror blades, and alt translite for $2700.
I'm 20 minutes away in Sunnyvale.

#33 6 years ago

A few things (some have already been said):

1. A new in box game can give you just as many problems as a used one, so I would not use that as logic for selection.

2. Play more games, Pacific Pinball Museum is fun (and not to knock them at all) but check out some other locations that will have some games in a little bit better shape; (a bit of a drive for you, but still) Pheonix games and The Flipper room (both in Concord) is worth the trek IMHO.

3. Make pinball friends. Their help will be invaluable later when you inevitably run into an issue with your new or used pin. Pinsiders (most) are generally a pretty friendly bunch.

4. Whatever game you decide to buy, play it first. (don't pick a NIB purely based on theme or what you see in a vid, play it first)

Good luck!

#34 6 years ago

As others have mentioned, make your wife your pin partner! My wife never understood why I was spending so much on “games”....until I took her to chicago pin expo. She found she actually liked it, and found many games she identified with and enjoyed playing. Take the time to teach her, show her LOTS of games, don’t be pushy or demeaning of her abilities. If you do that, she will WANT you to buy games. You life will be much better!

3 weeks later
#35 6 years ago

Thanks everyone.

After couple weeks research, we decided to get Wizard of Oz as my first pinball machine. My wife and I both agree it would be a good family game (shhhhhhh ... she doesn't know the real price). Also I want to thank to my neighbor Pinhead fnosm for inviting me and my daughter to visit his collections and gave a Pinball newbie (me!) very useful advice.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinbear:

AC/DC has high rating but I don't know the band ...

I only stopped in because this cracked me up. I cried when I read this, I guess because I’m old

Enjoy your new game. Be sure to make space for the next one! Maybe you’ll get that MMR. I agree with you on that one, it’s really fun.

#37 6 years ago

If you are buying it new, get one with the 2.0 light system. While all new ones coming off the line have it, some distributors may still have stock of the old design. While the old design is not a deal breaker (mine has it) if your buying new, might as well get the same light system used in JJP's newer games.

#38 6 years ago

OH NO... it seems Wizard of Oz 75th edition is out of stock ... anyone knows which distributors has it in stock?

#39 6 years ago

Searching the market here at Pinside, i found this listing for one through Pinball Star Amusements: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/55541

#40 6 years ago

You’re 30ish and don’t know AC/DC?

Forget the pin for now, we need to get you caught up with some music appreciation first.

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinbear:

OH NO... it seems Wizard of Oz 75th edition is out of stock ... anyone knows which distributors has it in stock?

Joe at pinballstar will hook you up....

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

Forget the pin for now, we need to get you caught up with some music appreciation first.

Yeah seriously!! Lol. How is this even possible? I’m genuinely confused lol

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

Guys... I feel so sorry ... after google AC/DC, I DO know some of their songs, such as Highway to Hell. I love AC/DC Luci artwork but I think my wife won't allow me to put it in our family room ....

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinbear:

Guys... I feel so sorry ... after google AC/DC, I DO know some of their songs, such as Highway to Hell. I love AC/DC Luci artwork but I think my wife won't allow me to put it in our family room ....

Haha I’m sure you’ve heard a lot more of their songs than you think haha. It still blows my mind that you had to google AC/DC.... good luck getting your first pin though!

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinbear:

I’m not trying to sell you on an AC/DC pin, but they have versions of the pin without Luci. (I wouldn’t buy the Luci version either)

#46 6 years ago

Don't stress, they still make them. You should have no trouble finding one.

I have heard good things about the above mentioned Joe at pinballstar

The last few games I have bought were through JJ @ GameExchange: https://gameexchange.biz/collections/pinball-machines/products/wizard-of-oz-75th-anv-edition

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from arcadenerd925:

Don't stress, they still make them. You should have no trouble finding one.
I have heard good things about the above mentioned Joe at pinballstar
The last few games I have bought were through JJ @ GameExchange: https://gameexchange.biz/collections/pinball-machines/products/wizard-of-oz-75th-anv-edition

I just talked to them this morning and they don’t have it now ...

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Searching the market here at Pinside, i found this listing for one through Pinball Star Amusements: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/55541

Do they add 3% if paid by credit card?

#49 6 years ago

I second calling Joe at PinballStar. He will take care of you.

#50 6 years ago

If Joe doesnt have any, try Automated 800.727.8363, they tend to horde a lot of stock.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 5.00
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 132.00
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 16.95
$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn Park, MN
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Hampshire, IL
There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buying-my-first-pinball?hl=zmeny and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.