Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5_(resized).jpg
6_(resized).jpg
4_(resized).jpg
2_(resized).jpg
1_(resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Hi, so i've been reading the forum for a while; and now i'm finally looking for my first own pinball machine. I've been playing a lot in arcades and other places but i've never been on the owner side so any tip would be appreciated.

Today i'm going to see a guy who is selling some 80's/90's machines and my eyes are on TAXI. Is there any detail which i have to pay special attention while looking for a pinball? Any special detail to look on this machine?

Maybe i can take some pics of the machine and share it here so you guys can give me your opinions

#2 7 years ago

Taxi is a great pin, but insert decal wear & wear around pop bumpers is most likely with Taxi's. Broken plastics, acid damage under batteries, boards with obvious repairs, water damaged cabinet or backbox, termite damage, does this Taxi have the topper?,alpha numeric display missing any digits [gassed out], next to coin door have drill holes on each side [Been routed] i could keep going on and on but this should help some.

#3 7 years ago

Check the ramps including the round one.

#4 7 years ago

Already saw a few pics on the page of the seller, i can see the playfield has some serious wear in the bumpers area, you can totally see the wood there.

The rest of the machine still a mistery i'll unveil in an hour or two.

#5 7 years ago

Smell the play-field/under for Pledge smell. Crazy wiring hacks. bad PF touch ups.

Use all of it to get the price down to your offer price which should be low.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from Jtslade:

Smell the play-field/under for Pledge smell. Crazy wiring hacks. bad PF touch ups.
Use all of it to get the price down to your offer price which should be low.

Sadly this is a small country with not too many machines around so negotitatinh prices isnt easy, and find people selling is really hard.

But yes, i'll try to get the price down, thnx for the advice

#7 7 years ago

So, back in home after testing Taxi. The seller was nice, had a lot of pinballs stored in his house, and he's selling Fish Tales, Super mario Bros, Terminator, Police Force and others.

Taxi seemed to work great, the electronics are looking good (for my noob eye) and the cabinet was great; on the otehr hand, the playfield was visually damaged. A lot of paint missing, and what worries me a lot, the previous owner added some decoration to the game, bad printed decals (probably home made in paper) and other stuff with glue directly to the plastics or the cabinet's wood :/

I don't know how much money or time i'll have to invest to remove all this things, also don't know where to get new plastics and etc.

Also, the game has a bell but we couldn't make it ring, just made one "ding" and thats all...

In the pictures you can notice the terribly made decals, the stuff glued on the plastics, and also a couple little cars the guy added to the game (not a bad idea, but really bad quality toys XD).

The price started in 1350 and went to 1150 by the end of the day.

So guys, any recommendation?

1_(resized).jpg1_(resized).jpg

2_(resized).jpg2_(resized).jpg

4_(resized).jpg4_(resized).jpg

6_(resized).jpg6_(resized).jpg

5_(resized).jpg5_(resized).jpg

#8 7 years ago

Ouch that's a lot of wear, this might be your first playfield swap too.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Ouch that's a lot of wear, this might be your first playfield swap too.

haha i wish, i can't get a new playfield here; this is the only time i saw one of this machines in my country, and importing a playfield must be really expensive (it's a heavy package, so expensive shipping + %60 or more in taxes) :S

#10 7 years ago

Yours looked like mine. We play the hell out of mine and love it. Maybe CPR will release another run of playfields in the future. No reason it can't be a good player machine. I love machines that show there age.

#11 7 years ago

So - How was the Fish Tales ?

#12 7 years ago

Taxi is a good game. But if it is hard to locate, you need to be open to buying other games in the mean time. Sometimes here in the states, certain titles only seem to come up once in a couple of years if you're lucky.

I would keep an eye out for another system 11 game. There are so many good choices.
www.system11.org

#13 7 years ago

Wax it and play it!

#14 7 years ago

Players/project taxis seem to often go in the 2k ballpark. And you say this one is fully working. If you enjoy this game, buy it. And don't worry about removing add ons, restoring art etc. Play it and love it.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from codered9394:

Yours looked like mine. We play the hell out of mine and love it. Maybe CPR will release another run of playfields in the future. No reason it can't be a good player machine. I love machines that show there age.

I also like the "age" on the table, i'm a little afraid about the addons on the plastics, plastics can be destroyed under that stuff pasted with hard glue. But actually it feels like a great player machine, i'll go to test it again on monday

Quoted from TenaciousT:

So - How was the Fish Tales ?

Fishtales was actually wrapped in nylon, cabinet and the backbox split. I saw some chromed legs that were looking like new. It was U$D1300.

Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Taxi is a good game. But if it is hard to locate, you need to be open to buying other games in the mean time. Sometimes here in the states, certain titles only seem to come up once in a couple of years if you're lucky.
I would keep an eye out for another system 11 game. There are so many good choices.

Yeah i know, i've been looking for pinballs for like 6 years now (not too deep but always taking a look); and this is the first time i saw Taxi, and it could be the last too. The guy also have Elvira and the party monsters, and police force; both System 11.

Quoted from iron00monkey:

Wax it and play it!

Maybe i will

Quoted from EvanDickson:

Players/project taxis seem to often go in the 2k ballpark. And you say this one is fully working. If you enjoy this game, buy it. And don't worry about removing add ons, restoring art etc. Play it and love it.

Thanks for the advice, i'll go to try it again in a few days and maybe buy it

#17 7 years ago

Buy it and dont look back. Taxi was the first game I purchsed in the 90's and I still have it. That wear is a patina, mine is around the pop bumpers. My taxi is a prototype with one of the lowest serial numbers catalogued. I still play it weekly, built like a tank, just runs and runs. Lots of new critical parts are now available, but I will never restore mine. It's like a barn find in the muscle car world. Good luck, fish tales could also be a good choice if the GI's arent toast.

#18 7 years ago

get the TAXI play it and enjoy it. i recently acquired a taxi and have been ignoring the other 13 games! taxi is just simple Fun!

#19 7 years ago

what are his prices on his games?

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

what are his prices on his games?

Police force was something like 950, and it was in a really good condition. I dont remember elvira's price but probably close to 1400 in good shape too.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from GGG:

Buy it and dont look back. Taxi was the first game I purchsed in the 90's and I still have it. That wear is a patina, mine is around the pop bumpers. My taxi is a prototype with one of the lowest serial numbers catalogued. I still play it weekly, built like a tank, just runs and runs. Lots of new critical parts are now available, but I will never restore mine. It's like a barn find in the muscle car world. Good luck, fish tales could also be a good choice if the GI's arent toast.

Quoted from freddy:

get the TAXI play it and enjoy it. i recently acquired a taxi and have been ignoring the other 13 games! taxi is just simple Fun!

Seems i'll go for it

#22 7 years ago

If it plays well....buy it

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 109.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buying-my-first-pinball-taxi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.