• 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by accidental
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

thumbs_up.gif

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

I'm in New Zealand and we don't have a lot of pins available here. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty around but they're not often up for sale.

One particular seller has a list of pins that he wants to get rid of in a hurry. At this stage all I have is a list and the knowledge that they're in my price range with more detail being available when they're removed from storage and inspected. I've done a bunch of research and video-watching but I've played very few of them in real life and the seller is an 8-hour drive away so I can't test them besides, they're currently in storage. Condition-aside which would you recommend as the best first pin, if you were to go back and step into my shoes? Here's the list, and my current thoughts.

High Speed 2 The Getaway
—— What it does it does better than most pins, but it's not a deep ruleset so not good to hold interest for long as the only pin in a collection.

Fish Tales
—— Deeper than HS2 but still not deep enough to hold interest for as long as other pins. It's a little unconventional and I think I'd prefer a more conventional playfield layout.

Bram Stoker's Dracula
—— Several cool multi ball modes to stack, fairly interesting layout but apparently brutally difficult for beginners

Bride of Pin•Bot
—— I'd like a DMD on my first pin and I've already played this to death on the Pinball Arcade game so would get less longevity out of it. Rinse/repeat gameplay but strong following so probably easy to resell

Tales from the Crypt
—— Often regarded as the best Data East pin. Lots of features and lots of objective/modes with a few tough to reach wizard modes.

Rocky & Bullwinkle
—— Looks like lots of fun and quite accessible. Plenty of modes and not too short on features. But it's not as highly regarded as many of my other options so I'm unsure about it.

World Cup Soccer 94
—— Fun and fairly deep gameplay but not a very appealing theme

Bally Doctor Who
—— Good solid pin with an interesting multi-level playfield toy. Quite difficult and not very friendly theme. I've heard many say it isn't terribly fun.

The Flintstones
—— Great artwork, fairly deep gameplay and some cool features. Looks like lots of fun but not a big fan of the audio.

At this stage I'm feeling strongest about TFTC because it has so much to offer. I like that there are lots of modes and objective while remaining quite clear and easy to understand. I like that it's tough to get to the wizard mode(s) and that there are lots of features that many of my other options only offer some of. But the downers are that it's a DE (I know they're fine but I always imagined kicking off my collection with a W/B) and that the PF artwork and theming kinda sucks (especially in comparison to something like The Flintstones).

It's worth noting that the pins are likely to be in average condition and will need some shopping so if any of these are particularly hard to shop or suffer from notorious issues please let me know. I have a family friend who used to run a pinball business so I'm not short on expertise to help.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

#2 11 years ago

I'm thinking WCS. I think it is fairly deep with the B/W feel.

#3 11 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I'm thinking WCS. I think it is fairly deep with the B/W feel.

+1

#4 11 years ago

1) Dracula
2) Dr. Who
3) Fish Tales
4) Tales From the Crypt
5) Flintstones
6) World Cup Soccer
6) Getaway
7) Bride of Pinbot
8) Rocky & Bullwinkle

That would be order of purchase

#5 11 years ago

Would you REALLY choose BSD as your one and ONLY game? It might be the best game in a collection of 6, but really think about how shallow that game is. There is no way in hell I would want that as my one and only.

Also, there is no way I'd choose a Flintstones over HS2.

Quoted from Rascal_H:

1) Dracula
2) Dr. Who
3) Fish Tales
4) Tales from the Crypt
5) Flintstones
6) World Cup Soccer
6) Getaway
7) Bride of Pinbot
Rocky & Bullwinkle

That would be order of purchase

#6 11 years ago

I like my FT. I've played a fair amount of those games... FT just happens to be my favorite of the bunch. YMMV.

FT to me isn't deep... but it is reasonably difficult to score high while feeling fun and accessible to guests.

It isn't a great substitute but try playing a few on virtual pinball and see what your impressions are. Keep in mind that some of the pins aren't implemented perfect so don't play the best.

#7 11 years ago

Do you have to grab one from those titles?
If they are the defiantive list I would prob go TFTC, FT, BSD OR DW but all the titles you have listed will give you enjoyment.
If you are open to other titles and can spend a little more grab a SM or a IM.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from Wamprat:

Do you have to grab one from those titles?
If they are the defiantive list I would prob go TFTC, FT, BSD OR DW but all the titles you have listed will give you enjoyment.
If you are open to other titles and can spend a little more grab a SM or a IM.

I'd love to be able to afford a newer Stern pin but unfortunately my budget only allows for — at most — half that. I just need somewhere good to start and I'll work my way up to that level.

I've got approx $2750 NZD to spend ($3000 including shipping) which is $2200 USD. But in NZ you don't get as much for your money because the market is so small. For example a HS2 in ok condition just sold for $2600 ($2000 USD) which is well above it's Pinside estimated price.

Sorry, to answer your question more specifically, I don't have to pick from this list but it's my best shot at getting a good deal because the pins need work and the seller is in a hurry to get rid of them. I can wait though and see what else comes up on the market if none of these are great choices.

Cheers for your feedback so far guys, I love it.

#9 11 years ago

If it was me WCS or Dr Who

#10 11 years ago

I haven't played all of those games but Doctor Who is a really solid 90's game that is easy for people new to pinball to understand . . . so if you are only going to have one game and want something that pinball n00bs will be able to grasp and think is cool, go with the Doctor Who.

Also, I note, DW's 50 year anniversary is coming up; that has to be worth something!!!

#11 11 years ago

I would vote for TFTC, but factor in what theme you enjoy as it will be your only pin for awhile. For example, if you don't really enjoy soccer, don't get WCS...

#12 11 years ago

FT
So easy for you to fix as a first pin. And very easy to shop out. It's also perfect for guests, universally loved.

I love DW and BSD also, but they can be polarizing.

#13 11 years ago

Fishtales!

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from JesseB:

I would vote for TFTC, but factor in what theme you enjoy as it will be your only pin for awhile. For example, if you don't really enjoy soccer, don't get WCS...

The more I think about it if the OP is only going to get one game he needs to get the one with the theme that is best for him period; JesseB is spot on there. Worry about deep game play or longevity on game number 2, get a theme you dig for your first pin.

#15 11 years ago

Ha, your not getting the same answer twice so it might not help your decision much, but I'd go TFTC for the reasons you already mentioned. Decent rule set, satisfying shots, and I kind of like the theme. Good luck sticking to just one. Didn't work for me. You might as well get the Fish Tales as well while you are at it. FT is great, but not all by itself.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

The more I think about it if the OP is only going to get one game he needs to get the one with the theme that is best for him period; JesseB is spot on there. Worry about deep game play or longevity on game number 2, get a theme you dig for your first pin.

Good point that I hadn't considered TigerLaw. Watching videos of the pins gives a good idea of the atmosphere they provide. I don't like Doctor Who's atmosphere at all but the art is interesting. WCS has great a atmosphere but the artwork is pretty weak — it hasn't aged well. TFTC has pretty average art but the theme definitely appeals. I find HS2's atmosphere and theme are brilliant but definitely doesn't have enough gameplay variety to hold my interest.

Such a tough decision! I'm hoping to play on a WCS soon. I discovered there's one nearby my work that is currently out of order. I've only had one game on a Fish Tales and I wasn't take by it, but it had a lazy left flipper and I had a naggy wife nearby I should go back with a friend and play it again to get a better idea.

Quoted from Dr_Spaceman:

Good luck sticking to just one. Didn't work for me. You might as well get the Fish Tales as well while you are at it. FT is great, but not all by itself.

It's out of necessity at this stage but as with anyone else I'd love to have more than one pin. Once I've got one then I can at least go from there with trading or selling. A family friend, for example, has a White Water that I'm sure I could arrange a temporary swap for when I get tired of whatever I end up buying.

#17 11 years ago

My order:

1a - Bride of Pinbot
1b - World Cup Soccer '94
3 - The Getaway
4 - Bram Stoker's Dracula
5 - Dr. Who
6 - Tales From the Crypt
7 - Fish Tales
8 - Flintstones
9 - Rocky and Bullwinkle

I've had several of those machines, and Bride of Pinbot is my favorite by a very slim margin over World Cup Soccer.

#18 11 years ago

BSD by a long shot.

#19 11 years ago

WCS94 or BSD.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I agree with this too.

The longer I've been in this hobby, the more that I've come to realize just how important theme is to enjoying a pin longer term. I've kind of changed my mind on that issue, as I used to think that theme wasn't that important. I was wrong.

#21 11 years ago

Yeah, I know money doesn't grow on trees. It is amazing though how once you get one the pin money suddenly becomes more available, and your clothes and groceries go from name brand to off brand.

#22 11 years ago

Fish Tales first then Flintsones

Quoted from RobT:

The longer I've been in this hobby, the more that I've come to realize just how important theme is to enjoying a pin longer term. I've kind of changed my mind on that issue, as I used to think that theme wasn't that important. I was wrong.

I agree with this. Dam I have considered getting a BTTF just on theme and that is a crappy playing game. The problem is anyone that owns one has it purely for the theme and wants too much money to part with it.

#23 11 years ago

Man I'd suggest getaway first. It's a decent challenge and a lot of fun. While its not terribly deep it does offer quite a bit and the flow is just awesome.

Wcs is really fun but on the easy side. The theme may suck but it's very arcadish not very sports like.

Those are my suggestions on your list.

#24 11 years ago

for only one pin, i would go for Bram Stoker's Dracula.
great game, hard, awesome sounds and music. cool art. and a heck of a challenging game.

if you have the chance to get 2, then get fish tales also.

#25 11 years ago

TFTC, BSD, WSC, FT, HS2, BOP, DrWho

If you can only afford one choose wisely.

If you can afford more but only want one. See you in 6 months with your 8th pin thread post =-)

#26 11 years ago

That's a tough one to pick, for the first one I say pick a theme that appeals to you

Or another option is to check out the Pinball Owners site to see what members are in your neck of the woods and check out there list of machines as members will list for sale, Yes, maybe or never.

You never know there could be a few more options to get the one that you really want.

http://www.pinballowners.com/

#27 11 years ago

Wcs !!!!

Flintstones
Getaway
Bop
Ft
Bsd
drwho

#28 11 years ago

Fish tales

#29 11 years ago

I dont think you would go wrong on a Fish Tales. The game is a blast and can still be bought at a resonable price.
It seems like when we have people over to our game room, the FT gets the most plays.

#30 11 years ago

Bride of Pin*Bot
Drac
Tales

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

#31 11 years ago

HSII - Not as good as HS for the long term. Full of bricks and lame music. Horrible video mode. Ugly backglass. Add it to the long list of b tile hoarding, t2, dm etc. B-title paradise. Mullet not included.

FT - Add this one to the bottom of the redneck collection. Great if you own a cabin in the woods. Real fishing is better.

BSD - Adjustable for a novice, and still brutal for an expert. Long term ownership potential. Overall great audio, excellent video mode. Playfield art is ugly, but gameplay and audio make up for it. One of the best horror pins, and it won't break the bank. This one wins by a mile.

BOP - OK in a large collection. I think you need pb to make it work. The gag ball effect has a high creep factor. If women see this in your basement, they will run for the hills. Robot cheesy and plays dated. Buy this one when you're bored.

TFTC - Doesn't come close to the show. This one is straight up ghetto. Add this to the DE collection, and you have a poor mans dream. It like driving a camero and wishing for vette. What radio shack is to electronics, DE is to pinball. This game is a joke, just like most DE's. Deserves to be 6 ft under.

R&B - Not bad if you're looking for a cartoon theme or love camel toe. It's got cool features. The blue version is ugly as hell. I'm ready to dump mine anyday now. I'd add this one to the bottom of the list. Works ok with a funhouse combo.

WSC - OK if you're into "cute and cuddly". Up there with NGG and WH20. Great for kids, the wife and grandpa. Wouldn't touch this one with a 10 ft pole. I can't see anyone screaming "goal" after picking this one up.

DW - Great game but, hearing the robot will make you want to beat the game with a sledge hammer. Wear ear plugs if you buy this one. PB is a better option.

Flint - Not bad with the alternative translite. OK game in a large collection. The theme music will drive you nuts. I can see throwing this in the rockpile after 6 months.

#32 11 years ago

It would help, of we knew the prices, so we could get the best pin for the money narrowed down. Hard to say without knowing prices.

I would say TFTC, but if it is priced too high compared to the others, my choice might change.

#33 11 years ago

I currently own a FT and have TFTC, WCS and BSD on my wanted list. Really though, you have a lot of solid choices there. I would buy the one that's priced right, but given everything equal I'd still choose FT.

#34 11 years ago

Tomm Gunn, glad to see you keep an open mind on DE games, not to mention B title games.

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from RawleyD:

universally loved.

Tell that to my wife. She has refused to even consider it...

#36 11 years ago

Great feedback thanks guys. Seems like Fish Tales is being recommended the most with WCS, BSD and TFTC being close behind. I should play the FT in my area again and see how I feel about it. Still doesn't seem deep enough to hold my interest because there are really just two objectives: ramps and multiball.

Those who recommend FT, what is it about this pin that holds your interest and keeps you coming back to it? Are you sure it would satisfy as the only pin in a collection?

Quoted from ThePostmaster:

It would help, of we knew the prices, so we could get the best pin for the money narrowed down. Hard to say without knowing prices.
I would say TFTC, but if it is priced too high compared to the others, my choice might change.

For sure. I expect to get pricing when the seller has the chance to pull the pins out of storage and inspect them. But seeing as he's so busy shopping some other pins for sale I kind of have to narrow down my choices rather than ask him to go over every pin in storage for me just to pick one. So that's where this thread comes in!

#37 11 years ago

FT.

So addictive - just keep pressing the button and the 100 million jackpot is super tough to get. So many great fun modes.

Great video mode.

Rock the boat, monster fish, catching fish. Great pin for only pin. Music annoyed me at first but ended up liking it. One of my favourite pins . Miss it a lot.

#38 11 years ago

Then my choice would be either TFTC, or BSD. But that's my opinion. Good luck with your choice, and keep us posted on which one you get!

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

Those who recommend FT, what is it about this pin that holds your interest and keeps you coming back to it? Are you sure it would satisfy as the only pin in a collection?

It is my only pin right now and I'm really happy with the choice. My wife liked it as well and the theme is family friendly so that all went into my decision... along with the price obviously. I would like to get more pins eventually but for now it is fun and difficult enough for me. That said, I'm not very good at pinball in general but my skills have been improving since owning this one.

You can boil any game down to "it's just this or that." So yeah, you can say all you need is a couple super jackpots in multiball and you're the grand champion. Well, try doing that. If you've achieved that... then yeah... maybe move on from FT.

You have to hit the "long cast" to light the options in the boat and then collect them with a shot that can often drain STDM. The long cast isn't always lit... so you have to make it once or make the boat ramp to light it. "Rock the Boat" just is fun once you hit the ramps over and over. The extra ball shot is satisfying.

I don't usually play for the other objectives like Monster Fish and Feeding Frenzy but they pop up during the normal course of play that you have to go for them... and since they're hurry up they're hard to collect sometimes under pressure.

So you do all that... plus get a game that is easy and fun for novices to hop on and bang away at the boat or wherever.... and possibly the best video mode in pinball.

But play it... everyone has different opinions. My next game will hopefully be something deeper like TZ, LOTR, or TSPP to complement it.

#40 11 years ago

FT has a non-offensive theme, it's fairly easy to pick-up what to do, but it's difficult to master. Music can grate on you, but I find myself enjoying it now. Having said that, I'd still want at least one more pin to mix things.

#41 11 years ago

As much as I wanna say DW or BSD....I think for your first pin...FT would be a great choice. TFTC is interesting as it a DE game...for some reason I just can't recommend a DE for a new comer.

My order of preference is actually

1 - Dr. Who
2 - Bram Stoker's Dracula
3 - Fish Tales
4 - Tales from the Crypt
5 - World Cup Soccer '94
6 - Bride of Pinbot
7 - The Getaway
8 - Flintstones
9 - rocky and bullwinkle

#42 11 years ago

Not only is FT fun to play,(which is the most important) , its a beautiful game to have in the room. The cabinet and playfield are cartoonish and colorful. I replaced all the bulbs in mine with Leds and it just made the playfield "pop" out at you.
The only con , like everyone else is saying , is the music which is real hillbillyish, but goes with the pin very well.

You dont have to be a fisherman or a sportsman to enjoy the game. It will get a lot of attention from any guest that you have over.

Just my opinion on the game.

#43 11 years ago

Wow, really sounds like FT is the best choice for a first pin. I'll see what condition it is in along with BSD, TFTC and WCS and report back. Thanks heaps guys!

#44 11 years ago

Fish tales is fun to play. Good speed. Trying to get a super jackpot should keep you challenged for a while but meanwhile you can rack up score banging the boat ramps and nailing the monster fish. Hardest EB shot I have found. I don't know the other pin choices.

#45 11 years ago

FT is a great fun game that you can play for a long time. There are some other decent ones on that list for sure, only ones I would personally stay away from are Flintstones & Rocky & Bullwinkle. Annoying annoying games that will drive you crazy.

#46 11 years ago

So Fish Tales has sold to another buyer but turns out it was out of my price range anyway. Bummer!

The WCS is in the seller's personal collection and is in great condition, for about $2100 USD. The TFTC is from an import container and isn't in nearly as good cond. if it fires up and works I can get it for about $1600 but would require a lot of shopping.

#47 11 years ago

I don't know about WCS, but that's a fair price for TFTC, if all it needs is a good cleaning.

#49 11 years ago

Owned almost every one of those and the only one still around is BSD. WCS and FT are cool but had to go. Flintstones, HS2 and the others are cool to look at but if u are a player go for BSD, WCS, FT

#50 11 years ago
Quoted from ThePostmaster:

I don't know about WCS, but that's a fair price for TFTC, if all it needs is a good cleaning.

I agree. I'll have a more informed decision when it's taken out of storage and inspected.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 26.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp
Decals
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
$ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing
Hardware
$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs
Toys/Add-ons
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buying-my-first-pin-help-me-pick and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.