Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 119 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by tp
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

79A9A7D1-3EB1-4A9B-AD3D-259992BE7CBE (resized).jpeg
    4736F03C-0106-4AA3-8A74-436C2835232E (resized).jpeg
    CN1  2 (resized).png
    Pin board (resized).jpg
    First Pin (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ronss.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#22 6 years ago

I wouldn't worry about the kids too much, you will probably have either traded your first game or bought another within a year so find something you like.

I like the suggestion about picking a few titles in your price range then hitting youtube.

Maybe find a Space Shuttle.....

#41 6 years ago

Just another idea, besides actually playing pinball, or watching videos, you could also do some Pinball Arcade on an Ipad or xbox or something. You might find some games that sounds just annoy you, or the layout isn't to your liking.

Good luck!

#49 6 years ago

Corgar = Gorgar?

What made Funhouse appealing to you? That quality is what you should be looking for in other games perhaps.

#61 6 years ago
    Quoted from Gunnut40:

I bought my first pin 3 weeks ago and I love it! I had to replace a coil and mosfet....but I got a better deal cause the problems. Just know you will have to work on them. No reason to wait. You should be able to sell your machine for about the same price once you save up again.

Since you are just starting out, and have some Pinheads near by, you can probably find a game that is working but has a few glitches that need attention. I like the advice of going on the cheaper side to start. Should you find that pinball at home isn't working out, you won't lose much (or if you get a machine that is tough to resell). Also, you will have an easier time learning the switches, lamps, etc. under the playfield. The newer the machine the more "stuff" under the playfield. If you have sausage fingers like me you'll find newer games a little tougher to do work on without squeezing wires and things out of the way while holding a part and a tool and a lamp and another tool and trying to curse!

Older machines have plenty of charm, and just having a pinball in the house is magical to start. If you need to save up a year or more than I think you should pull the trigger now and get something then sell later, if you are a few months away that is a different story. See, we are all willing to spend your money!

#95 6 years ago

Awesome, welcome to the owners (collectors) club!

#104 6 years ago
    Quoted from jmountjoy111:

I was wondering. Because I was getting ready to ask where all of these people were finding $1500 last action hero. I didn’t think that game would fall into the budget you had previously described. I have not seen that game under two grand in a while

Ugh, I saw one listed for weeks near me. Leds, no ticket wear, working, for $1400. I thought about it too long, so no LAH for me. Looks like a fun packed game!

You're right though, nothing close since.

#110 6 years ago
    Quoted from jmountjoy111:

A $1400 working LAH wouldnt last an hour in my area. Are you sure they didn’t just leave the ad up for days after it sold within in minutes of being listed? I obviously have no idea about the market in your area but I would assume that it would be stronger or just as strong in NY as it is in KY and TN

I never called so no way to tell.

I know my F14 ad is still up, even though it now resides in my basement! So I guess you're hypothesis could well be correct.

#115 6 years ago

Craigslist is your friend, er, enemy?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ronss.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buying-my-first-pin-advice-for-around-100-1500?tu=ronss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.