Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 179 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by KyleCat
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20151101_135106.jpg
    IMG_20151101_135119.jpg
    IMG_20151101_135137.jpg
    IMG_20151101_135150.jpg
    IMG_20151101_135201.jpg
    IMG_20151101_135239.jpg
    There are 179 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 8 years ago
    Quoted from Neal_W:

but have a retail markup

They've had a Whirlwind on Ebay forever for $3500

#102 8 years ago
    Quoted from KyleCat:

The guy said $4700 and I think that's above market and ridiculous.

I sold a beautiful one for 4100 a few YEARS ago. 4700 seems fair if it's nice. I don't think you'll ever get him down to four if your biggest argument is bad rubbers.

Edit: The machine does look nice, it seems VERY clean, but "Will include 10 each TOM magic trunk boxes." - this part of the CL ad makes me raise an eyebrow a little.

#103 8 years ago
    Quoted from Flake:

"Will include 10 each TOM magic trunk boxes."

uh, wat?

#104 8 years ago

Maybe they have 10 replacement trunks(why?)...resell those on ebay for $40 each and that's $400 credit towards the machine...you're down to $4300! A steal!

#105 8 years ago

Ad also says sold as a package only for 10 grand, so good luck with that

#106 8 years ago

I have already spoke to him. He said he would sell them separately but he is selling them for $4700 each and the EM for $800.

#107 8 years ago
    Quoted from KyleCat:

I have already spoke to him. He said he would sell them separately but he is selling them for $4700 each and the EM for $800.

I wouldn't ask for 4k then, it looks pretty solid. Get over there and offer 4500 and if he says no then pay the man his full price.

#108 8 years ago

Shouldn't you be in class btw?

#109 8 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

I was thinking the same thing.
    I don't know too many thirteen year olds who negotiate 4500 dollar deals, let alone with strangers on Craigslist
    You must be an exceptional young man.

#110 8 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

Lol, our kids are connected 24/7. I sent my son a FB message once and he immediately replied "please don't FB message me while I'm at school". I said "why do you have FB or FB messenger open at school?". He doesn't have a smartphone, by the way.

#111 8 years ago

I'm home schooled and I love it. No distractions, no dress code, and you are more comfortable while you work. No fights, no mean teachers (unless aunt flow), and I can go on more vacations.

#112 8 years ago

Do yourself a favor....take the $5K and get a Scared Stiff! 'Nuff Said!

#113 8 years ago

I dont plan on spending that much. But that is a great pin.

#114 8 years ago

Do ToM's run hot? I hope not, my room already doesn't get very much A/C.

#115 8 years ago
    Quoted from KyleCat:

Do ToM's run hot? I hope not, my room already doesn't get very much A/C.

1 pin shouldn't be a problem. A roomful of games can fight the A/C though. Better plan to stop at 3.

#116 8 years ago

Get the Shadow.

#117 8 years ago

None local. But I've heard that is a great pin that isn't talked about much. I am going for either the TOM or STTNG. Depends on both there conditions. Which one is worth more, the guy is selling them both $4700 each?

#118 8 years ago

All dependent on condition, but TOM would be worth more if they are conditionally the same. Probably more sought after as well.

#119 8 years ago

That's what I figured. Thanks.

#120 8 years ago

STTNG has better gameplay, more balanced scoring, and a wizard mode scoring that is dependent on your performance.

#121 8 years ago

TOM all the way....

#122 8 years ago

It would have to be a sweet STTNG to be worth $4700 though. I paid over $1000 less than that just last year on Pinside for mine fully working. I'd prefer the STTNG, but for the price TOM is much more reasonable.

I think you should aim lower on budget still. You can spend $100s repairing and maintaining a pinball machine. A game bought off Craigslist might be ready to play according to a homeowner, but it's unlikely to be ready to play to a pinball player.

#123 8 years ago

Buy yourself a solid early Bally SS and save the rest of your cash. They are fun pins, have some of the greatest artwork and are very easy to fix. Do your research and dont overpay, you should be able to recoup your money and possibly more later on. Dont spend a lot of money fixing it up making it pretty if you plan on reselling. You are sure to loose money on it.

#124 8 years ago

I am going to look at the pins but before any negotiating happens I need to run some tests on the pins. Check the flipper strength, test solenoids, ect.

#125 8 years ago
    Quoted from KyleCat:

I am going to look at the pins but before any negotiating happens I need to run some tests on the pins. Check the flipper strength, test solenoids, ect.

Don't get too crazy....you'll only annoy the seller. Little things like weak flippers can be easily and cheaply fixed.....things like this are also very common. If it's dirty and has weak flippers sure you can try an negotiate..... a little, but don't pass up an overall good pin at a good price for minor issues.

#126 8 years ago

Is $4700 a good deal? From my research if seems barely under market, but I think it will rise in price.

#127 8 years ago
    Quoted from KyleCat:

Is $4700 a good deal? From my research if seems barely under market, but I think it will rise in price.

Not sure if you are in this for the right reason. Its a FAIR price to be sure. Your going to be hard pressed to find some magical 3k$ TOM somewhere. You said you want it to raise in value within the next few years... who knows what will happen by then. Pinball is seeing a resurgence in popularity, whether or not it holds is anyone's guess. Could be that people start getting bored of the hobby and everyone moves on.

Right now you see a huge influx of people into the hobby around my age (thirties). Why? because we remember these games being in arcades, they are nostalgic. We are now settling into homes where we have space and our jobs give us some disposable income. we wantto relive our youth. The next generation may not feel that way. Of course there are exceptions to the rule, you are one of them, but I bet people your age are the extreme minority on here. There might not be a high demand in a few years which drives these high prices. Who knows what the next big nostalgia thing will be.

Buy a game because you love it and want to play it. Sure no one wants to lose money down the road, but its a possibility. I look at it this way. Say I bought a TOM, a $4700 game. Say in five years the bubble bursts, no one cares anymore, at least most people don't, now its only demanding $2500 if I wanted to sell it.

Ask me why I don't care.

Glad you asked, lots of reasons. I had countless hours of fun playing it. Friends over and tournaments at my house. I had a lot of fun cleaning it, repairing it, maybe adding things to it. That's the FUN value. Its hard to put a dollar amount on the hours of fun I have had. Second reason. Its not going to be just that one game going down in price, ALL $4700 games will go down. If I still love the hobby I can always trade it for a White water or a STTNG, there will still be comparable games out there for trade. As soon as I buy a pin I consider that money gone. At that point its a game I can trade or sell to get the next one.

So if all you are hoping to do is make money and thats your primary goal you may as well stop. The projects and cheap deals are few and far between (and rarely on craigslist). If you are looking to have fun and build memories then go for it.

#128 8 years ago

KyleCat , did you decide on a theme that you would want the most?
    Up until Christmas is a really good time to find different theme machines.
    So far, you seem to be considering anything that is popping up on Craigslist and Pinside in Texas.
    Buying the first available game turns out to be some of the worse choices.
    Best to figure out which 5 machines you want the most in your price range and hunt those down.

Hate for you to get a machine and find out you don't like playing it after a week.
    I used Youtube a lot when I was searching for my first 5 machines.

I will have a Demolition Man for sale before Christmas. At some point a Stargate too, but will be after Christmas.
    There are many collectors in Houston I keep in touch with that have games for sale as well. One has a modded Metallica Pro for sale now.

#129 8 years ago

I'm going to chime in and say... Get a TSPP... It's my favorite! It's such a deep game with fun toys. Whatever you decide will be great.. I mean its pinball folks.

#130 8 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

Not sure if you are in this for the right reason. Its a FAIR price to be sure. Your going to be hard pressed to find some magical 3k$ TOM somewhere. You said you want it to raise in value within the next few years... who knows what will happen by then. Pinball is seeing a resurgence in popularity, whether or not it holds is anyone's guess. Could be that people start getting bored of the hobby and everyone moves on.
    Right now you see a huge influx of people into the hobby around my age (thirties). Why? because we remember these games being in arcades, they are nostalgic. We are now settling into homes where we have space and our jobs give us some disposable income. we wantto relive our youth. The next generation may not feel that way. Of course there are exceptions to the rule, you are one of them, but I bet people your age are the extreme minority on here. There might not be a high demand in a few years which drives these high prices. Who knows what the next big nostalgia thing will be.
    Buy a game because you love it and want to play it. Sure no one wants to lose money down the road, but its a possibility. I look at it this way. Say I bought a TOM, a $4700 game. Say in five years the bubble bursts, no one cares anymore, at least most people don't, now its only demanding $2500 if I wanted to sell it.
    Ask me why I don't care.
    Glad you asked, lots of reasons. I had countless hours of fun playing it. Friends over and tournaments at my house. I had a lot of fun cleaning it, repairing it, maybe adding things to it. That's the FUN value. Its hard to put a dollar amount on the hours of fun I have had. Second reason. Its not going to be just that one game going down in price, ALL $4700 games will go down. If I still love the hobby I can always trade it for a White Water or a STTNG, there will still be comparable games out there for trade. As soon as I buy a pin I consider that money gone. At that point its a game I can trade or sell to get the next one.
    So if all you are hoping to do is make money and thats your primary goal you may as well stop. The projects and cheap deals are few and far between (and rarely on craigslist). If you are looking to have fun and build memories then go for it.

Thanks. I kinda needed that. I had lost sight on the real prize after all my years of saving.

#131 8 years ago
    Quoted from fisherdaman:

I'm going to chime in and say... Get a TSPP... It's my favorite!

I do like TSPP, but I prefer DE Simpsons. But that's just me. Some people like both just the same.
    I like Stern Indiana Jones and Williams Indiana Jones equally. Nice having them side by side in the lineup.

#132 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

KyleCat , did you decide on a theme that you would want the most?
    Up until Christmas is a really good time to find different theme machines.
    So far, you seem to be considering anything that is popping up on Craigslist and Pinside in Texas.
    Buying the first available game turns out to be some of the worse choices.
    Best to figure out which 5 machines you want the most in your price range and hunt those down.
    Hate for you to get a machine and find out you don't like playing it after a week.
    I used Youtube a lot when I was searching for my first 5 machines.
    I will have a Demolition Man for sale before Christmas. At some point a Stargate too, but will be after Christmas.
    There are many collectors in Houston I keep in touch with that have games for sale as well. One has a modded Metallica Pro for sale now.

So far I am only going for pins I "enjoy playing". Which is mainly late 80's to early 2000's. It could be taxi or ac/dc for all I care. As long as it is worth my while. After thinking a little harder I think I am trying to go for games with "deeper code". A game in which would have a large plot with certain goals and then after completing all the minor goals you get to face the "master" goal. Where lets just reference TOTAN where you have to rescue the princess and slay all the genie's skeles. But I still would like a pin which is more for going for score like on Pinbot where the code isn't nearly as deep. I have only played TOM virtually but I enjoy it.

#133 8 years ago
    Quoted from KyleCat:

Thanks. I kinda needed that. I had lost sight on the real prize after all my years of saving.

I'm glad you took it that way, I wasn't trying to be rude or a jerk, that shows real maturity on your part. I really hope you find a great game for a great price.

#134 8 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

I'm glad you took it that way, I wasn't trying to be rude or a jerk, that shows real maturity on your part. I really hope you find a great game for a great price.

I'm glad you told me. I was getting a little desperate.

#135 8 years ago
    Quoted from KyleCat:

I'm glad you told me. I was getting a little desperate.

Be willing to hold out. Embrace the hunt. It took me months and months to find the perfect rollergames for me.

#136 8 years ago
    Quoted from KyleCat:

http://houston .craigslist.org/tag/5270036566.html
    Curious if this is a good deal or not. Help appreciated.
    Might be able to haggle him down to $4500

need to remove the space in the URL. But the listing as been removed.

#137 8 years ago

What sort of gameplay do you like? We that's we can recommend some other tables to consider.

Fast and flowing like WH20 or AFM?
    Stop and go like Funhouse or Addams Family?
    Do you like a Wizard Mode? Is it mandatory?
    Do you like modes that you have to play through?
    Do you want a central toy or target?
    What about multiballs? Me, I love them, so having a variety of multiballs modes with different jackpot targets is important. It's nice if the variety has a varying number of balls (instead of just 3).

#138 8 years ago

For sure if you get one game, you will want another. TZ was my first game and it was 10 months later I had my second game. Since you have up to 5k for a budget, I would shoot for finding 2 cheaper titles. Patience as there will be some good titles coming up on CL in the next 2 months. Remember price does equal condition, not just the title.

#139 8 years ago

Just got back from a long day of picking up and standing. I have a TOM in my room for a great price. I payed $4400 and he gave me a new rubber kit, 10 trunks, new cord, and a brains worth of info. The guy was one of the nicest men I had ever met. He was like finding a marshmallow in a box of Lucky Charms.

#140 8 years ago

Congratulations!! TOM is a fun game with some interesting features. Not sure what you're going to do with ten trunks, but hey I guess that's gravy. Have fun and welcome to the club!

#141 8 years ago
    Quoted from KyleCat:

Just got back from a long day of picking up and standing. I have a TOM in my room for a great price. I payed $4400 and he gave me a new rubber kit, 10 trunks, new cord, and a brains worth of info. The guy was one of the nicest men I had ever met. He was like finding a marshmallow in a box of Lucky Charms.

That's a great deal! Congrats. What's up with the 10 trunks? Sell those on ebay.

#142 8 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

That's a great deal! Congrats. What's up with the 10 trunks? Sell those on ebay.

You can decorate some of them for all the different holidays and switch them out throughout the year. Haha

#143 8 years ago

I plan on keeping them until they range over $60 each.

#144 8 years ago

Does anyone have any idea whats going on here? On my TOM the sound won't go below 8. Any ideas are good ideas!

#145 8 years ago

Turn minimum volume override off in your adjustments menu

#146 8 years ago

Thanks! Will try that once I get all my vacuuming done tomorrow. The playfield only has one wear spot that is a tiny scratch in the left outlane to the flipper. Everything else is vibrant, exciting, and attractive. The guy gave me 3 boxes of every type of bulb for the machine. So tomorrow I am going to test all the flashers and lamps and get everything working. Then around Christmas I will clown puke the lamps and leave the flashers fluorescent.

#147 8 years ago

Nice score! Lets see some pics.

I would color match inserts with non ghosting frosted leds and probably do frosted white in the GI. Consider getting leds for flashers as well as they consume a lot less power and save your connectors from burning over time

#148 8 years ago
    Quoted from simplykind:

Lets see some pics.

#149 8 years ago

Lol at actually getting 10 replacement trunks. Thought that would've been some typo or miscommunication.

#150 8 years ago

If you are looking at lighting, I'd recommend checking out Comet Pinball's 2835 smd's. They are extra bright, and Arthur who works there is very helpful and knowledgeable. If you are going to put purple in your machine, I recommend their purple passions some purples can appear washed out, but not these. The Purple Passion bulbs are a very deep purple.

There are 179 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buying-my-first-pin-2/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.