Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 179 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by KyleCat
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20151101_135106.jpg
    IMG_20151101_135119.jpg
    IMG_20151101_135137.jpg
    IMG_20151101_135150.jpg
    IMG_20151101_135201.jpg
    IMG_20151101_135239.jpg
    There are 179 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 8 years ago

One of the first lessons I've learned in pinball was to have patience in finding a decent machine at a good price. This is the HARDEST part of collecting because if you have the cash, which you do, you are tempted to rush out and blow it on the fist thing that pops up close by. Take your time, play the game you have in mind either on Pinball Arcade or out somewhere on location if you are lucky enough to have one around. Do your research, read reviews etc. You cant go wrong with an TAF but I've seen them cheaper and who knows what "normal wear and tear" means from someone on CL. You can always ask for pictures and really get a better sense of it's condition before making a long drive. And feel free to share any pics here to get input from guys that have a lot more experience.

#52 8 years ago
    Quoted from KyleCat:

Curious if this is a good deal or not. Help appreciated.
    Might be able to haggle him down to $4500

Pinball-Addams Family Pinball - $5000?

If it's solid that's a good price...all about the condition and if it works 100%

#53 8 years ago

double post

#54 8 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

Pinball-Addams Family Pinball - $5000?
    If it's solid that's a good price...all about the condition and if it works 100%

With 20,000 made, that means the total market value of TAF is $100 million.

#56 8 years ago

Tough to tell from the pictures. I think it's an okay price at best personally. It's a reimport , but the Fester scoop looks fairly clean. I would ask for better pics before making the drive.

I might hit the seller up of the STTNG again to see if it's available. Might have been intimidated by the whole video of opto/ir testing.

Had similar experiences with well priced cars on CL. If it's an easy sale, they don't want to jump through too many hoops to make a sale. Hell, I had a tough time getting VIN #'s.

#57 8 years ago

Server lag, dupe post. Sorry

#58 8 years ago

Wow, that TAF is another nice find. Apparently the Texas market for pins is pretty sweet! If you've never played Addam's Family, you owe it to yourself to give this game a try. There is a reason that it is consistently right towards the top of the best pins ever produced. Pat Lawlor did a great job with this. Tons of cool and unique modes, a great multiball (with the best build up sounds to multiball ever imo), difficult and varied shots... This pin really has it all. Plus, if you want to go that route, there are tons of mods available for TAF. Assuming the playfield is in good condition and the game plays well with no (or few) diagnostic errors, this could be a great first game that I believe really should hold its value. 5k (or less) would be a pretty sweet bargain on this pin.

#59 8 years ago

I think I am going to wait it out on the STTNG and if I don't get an email within the next 2 weeks I will pray to God that the TAF is still up

#60 8 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

Tough to tell from the pictures. I think it's an okay price at best personally. It's a reimport , but the Fester scoop looks fairly clean. I would ask for better pics before making the drive.
    I might hit the seller up of the STTNG again to see if it's available. Might have been intimidated by the whole video of opto/ir testing.
    Had similar experiences with well priced cars on CL. If it's an easy sale, they don't want to jump through too many hoops to make a sale. Hell, I had a tough time getting VIN #'s.

My dad emailed him as well (didn't know he was going to email him). Not a reply to any of our emails. My dad's was pretty welcoming compared to mine.

#61 8 years ago

My two cents when dealing with craigslist sellers. They want the EASIEST sell possible. If you email asking for a dozen extra pics, videos of test modes, a laundry list of questions.... You are never going to hear back. Keep it local where you are comfortable driving to and still willing to walk away. Don't haggle in your email on price, do it when you show up with cash in hand.

Your email to any seller should be- hi my name is (blank) and I'm interested in your (specific name of machine) I have cash in hand and someone that can help load, I would like to come take a look. Email, phone or text me back whatever's easiest for you.

My extra two cents. Avoid craigslist. You live in an area with a ton of collectors, probably many on Pinside. The best deals I have ever gotten were from friends I made on here. Find local tournaments and go and compete and meet locals. You could also Start a new thread saying in the title WTB in San Antonio Texas.

Best of luck!

#62 8 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

My advice:
    1. Don't pay for shipping
    2. Don't buy a new pin
    3. Don't buy something you can't inspect in person
    4. Use this price guide! http://www.bostonpinball.biz/ebay_0515_4.htm
    5. Don't pay more than $200 over the "Average Since 11/25/14"
    6. Offer LESS than the average if the game isn't nice.
    Don't ignore older Sterns, because there are some great deals to be had. I sold my Nascar for $1800 and it's a very fun, dependable pin. Most Sterns under $3k have already fallen as far as they're going to.

That price list seems way off. 2500 for attack from mars?????? Show me where to get one at that price please. I find pinside and pinballprice.com to be more accurate for up to date values.

#63 8 years ago
    Quoted from parabol420:

up to date values.

they only have 1 record of an AFM since 2014...probably why--purely based on what they pull from Ebay only I think. I go more with Mr. Pinball but all these lists are more of a ballpark.

#64 8 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

With 20,000 made, that means the total market value of TAF is $100 million.

Except that there are nowhere near 20,000 still in existence.

#65 8 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Except that there are nowhere near 20,000 still in existence.

Which means there are a LOT of TAFs in landfills. Sad but true (for any title).

#66 8 years ago

imagine how many memories are in landfills

#67 8 years ago

I think Chuck E Cheese might have trashed more pins than anyone.

#68 8 years ago
    Quoted from parabol420:

That price list seems way off. 2500 for Attack from Mars?????? Show me where to get one at that price please. I find pinside and pinballprice.com to be more accurate for up to date values.

Yeah, the "12-month average" is pretty useless if there's only been one eBay sale. That AFM must have been dredged up from a lake.
    OTOH it's very useful for a game like TSPP. If 5 of them sold on eBay for an average price of $4383, then I'd say that's a good price to start dealing from, as either a buyer or a seller.

#69 8 years ago

I noticed no good gophers was somewhere around $3500. Is that a usual price?

#70 8 years ago
    Quoted from KyleCat:

I noticed no good gophers was somewhere around $3500. Is that a usual price?

Probably a little high unless it's really pretty. I see those usually for around 3k

#71 8 years ago

If I were you I would just buy a NIB Stern and have fun with it if your budget is $5000. ST is an incredible pin. GOT is off to a great start. IM is tough, but the best "one more game" pin of all time. MET is incredible also. I really dig the new Sterns and if you want one you just call up, pay and they come to your door. Play the crap out of your new pin and enjoy. The next step is to come to the Texas Pinball Festival in March to play 400-500 different games to find what you like and get to know more people in the area to make connections to buy another one. Good luck!

#72 8 years ago

The problem with that is that I do care about resell value. I may be wrong but when you open a NIB I am pretty sure they drop $300-$800 after you open it.

#73 8 years ago
    Quoted from KyleCat:

The problem with that is that I do care about resell value. I may be wrong but when you open a NIB I am pretty sure they drop $300-$800 after you open it.

It all depends on how popular the game becomes and when you sell it, if you sell it.

#74 8 years ago

This is what I was thinking, I buy the pin at a decent price, I play the ever loving crap out of the thing, make modifications down the road, and then when I need a car I will sell the pin. (knowing my self I will become emotionally to the pin and never sell it and pass it down to my kids.)

#75 8 years ago

Here comes the voice of reason (from the fog of insomnia).

It's impressive that you've worked and saved enough to spend $5000 on a new game. But if that's your life savings and you'll be buying a car in a few years, set your budget for your first game at around $1500, and bank the rest. Learning how to restore and maintain an older game is a lot of fun and very rewarding, as long as it's not a basket case.

Then when you're 16, you'll have enough money for a real car, maybe even a car with nice lines that the girls will notice...that's what I wish I'd had at 16.

By the way, I worked on a game tonight that I picked up for $900, and I'm loving it just as much as my 2 Sterns that I bought new.

#76 8 years ago

Luckily I don't just have 5K but I still don't really want to spend more then 3.5k but that's my budget just in case of a mm or afm.

#77 8 years ago

I'm gonna go ahead and really agree with swampfire here.

If you've got a budget of $3500...that's a huge budget to work with, You could buy a really really awesome solid state, in great shape, have it shipped to you from someone trusted on here (who would probably take as many photos as you want) and still make out better than that number.

Quoted from KyleCat:

but that's my budget just in case of a mm or afm.

I think you're going to be pretty hard up to find that deal without a lot of problems/wear.

#78 8 years ago

I was in my 30's the first time I had saved $5000 to spend on something fun - but then I blew that on my wedding.

#79 8 years ago

be ready to fix stuff or make sure your dad can for you. whatever you buy will need repairs and maintenance sooner than later. it's a big hobby to sign up for at 13 but hugely rewarding. I am impressed!

#80 8 years ago
    Quoted from KyleCat:

Oh, then no way spend over $2000ish for a pin! Mods are a loser in retaining their value also. Unless they make the game better to play. This is easy then. Just buy a highly rated pin in the $2200ish or under range. These will hold their value for the future because they will be on want lists for entry level newbies starting their collections and still be wanted by more experienced collectors.
    Here we go - the Getaway, World Cup Soccer, Fish Tales, Whirlwind, Earth Shaker, Black Knight 2000, Jurassic Park, Tales From The Crypt, Judge Dreed, Bride of Pinbot, Terminator 2, Taxi, Dr. Who, and Stargate. These pins will all hold their value and are fun and popular.
    Your welcome.

#81 8 years ago

Does your dad have any machines?

#82 8 years ago

Nope, he is just a player not a collector. But when I move out I am sure he will get some. (I am taking mine with me )

#83 8 years ago

Found a local guy that has a TOM and a STTNG. Hoping he can part with one.

#84 8 years ago

Anyone have an idea on how much Street Fighter 2's run for in excellent condition?

#85 8 years ago
    Quoted from KyleCat:

Anyone have an idea on how much street fighter 2's run for in excellent condition?

$900-1200?

#86 8 years ago

Thanks.

#87 8 years ago
    Quoted from KyleCat:

Anyone have an idea on how much street fighter 2's run for in excellent condition?

Pretty cheap......and you get what you pay for.

#88 8 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Pretty cheap......and you get what you pay for.

I am one of the few apologists for SF2, but that may be because it was one of the first pins I played and really understood since I had a frame of reference (The games, obviously). Despite it being pretty universally reviled, I still have some fun with it.

#89 8 years ago

The guy said there was someone before me on the STTNG so as of now I am trying to talk to a local guy selling a TOM. I think I should of left out that I am 13 because he hasn't responded yet. (He may not take my interest seriously)

#90 8 years ago

Even if it's your cash, you should ask a parent to help you do the deal. Lots of good reasons for this, but the biggest is your safety.

#91 8 years ago

Thanks for your concern. My dad will be with me helping me negotiate and inspect.

#92 8 years ago

Yeah there's no reason to state your age when responding to an ad, some people may feel odd taking thousands of dollars from a teenager.

#93 8 years ago

Can someone price check this TOM https://sanantonio.craigslist .org/vgm/5285145625.html
    Thanks a lot!

#94 8 years ago

The guy said $4700 and I think that's above market and ridiculous.

#95 8 years ago
    Quoted from KyleCat:

The guy said $4700 and I think that's above market and ridiculous.

For TOM? That's a pretty good price if it's nice

#96 8 years ago

A TOM that needs a little TLC and a shop job goes for around 4k... I would go look at that one for sure. If it's in good shape, no errors and just needs a cleanup/shop job I'd make an offer on it. A nice, good condition, fully shopped TOM will go for around 5k.

#97 8 years ago

I can't get the link for the ad in San Antonio to work, but yeah 4,700$ if in good shape is pretty reasonable.

#98 8 years ago
    Quoted from KyleCat:

I am located in San Antonio, TX.

First things first! Go to Pinballz Arcade up in Austin!! They have 100 DMD and SS pins and you can try them all. I was on a business trip to Austin for a few weeks last month, and though I had died and gone to heaven. They had to kick me out every night at midnight closing.

They are all for sale also, but have a retail markup. (there is also Pinballz Kingdom in Buda, TX but I was not a fan of that place)

#99 8 years ago

Already have! Man that place rocks! Just wish they had better lighting. I stayed there from 11 to 6 and damn my back hurt after that. Kinda wish they had chairs. My profile pic is me there.

#100 8 years ago

I am going to try to get him down to 4 because all the art is fine but the rubbers are bad and some of the metal is rusted on the trim. He said there might be some minor issues with the parts.

There are 179 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buying-my-first-pin-2/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.