3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 179 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by KyleCat
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20151101_135106.jpg
    IMG_20151101_135119.jpg
    IMG_20151101_135137.jpg
    IMG_20151101_135150.jpg
    IMG_20151101_135201.jpg
    IMG_20151101_135239.jpg

There are 179 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 3 years ago

I have never owned a pinball machine, but I have researched quite a bit on them. I am guessing you don't really know anything til you have a bad experience, which is why I wanted to talk to you guys. I am 13 and have been saving my money for quite some time. I am an entrepreneur. I am located in San Antonio, TX. I don't plan on buying new pinball's because I don't trust shipping. I have a pretty broad interests board. I was also wondering if once I am done with school I could resell the machine, so resell value is VERY important to me. But I also don't want money to get in the way with how much fun I have. If I am buying an older SS game my budget is $3000. If I am buying a newer to modern SS my budget is $5000 or less. I am leaning to Williams or Bally because I think they are a little bit higher grade as far as parts go. I am not interested in a Stern unless I can get a good deal (I think they will shrink dramatically in value). I haven't an inkling on price, as the only thing I have gone off of is eBay sold section. I am trying to get a good deal on my first pin (good things come to those that wait.)

Thanks for stopping by

#2 3 years ago

Somebody in the same area as this dude hook him up with his first pin! Welcome to the hobby! If I was in your area I would definitely sell you a game. Try and find other collectors in your area to possibly help you find a pin or sell you one of theirs. Your budgets are realistic and should get you your first pin soon.

Good luck!

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Somebody in the same area as this dude hook him up with his first pin! Welcome to the hobby! If I was in your area I would definitely sell you a game. Try and find other collectors in your area to possibly help you find a pin or sell you one of theirs. Your budgets are realistic and should get you your first pin soon.
    Good luck!

Thanks! I have found a T2 dallas.craigslist .org/sdf/vgm/5269115164.html but I am kinda not that enthused to drive to Dallas and risk hurting the machine on the drive back.

#5 3 years ago

Don't be too worried about "hurting" the machine, they were made to take a beating. They've all been shipped at one point or another.

#6 3 years ago

Yeah just do your research on home to fold up the game and take the legs off. Buy some moving blankets and wrap the game up and use a ratchet strap to hold the head down while transporting.

Btw, T2 is a great first game! Very common and lots of help out there if you need it.

#7 3 years ago

The top older SS's on my list would be; FunHouse, Pinbot, Taxi, Banzai Run (maby), WhirlWind. Most pin's before DMD in my list will be Williams (I have enjoyed them virtually and IRL), I can't really seem to get into any non-Williams pins before 1991. For my list on top new SS pins I have; T2, TOM, TOTAN, NGG, STNG, Scared Stiff (first pin I ever played), AFM (doubt I can get a good one for under $5,000), WPT, and ST LE. If there are any that you think I might like feel free to suggest.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from KyleCat:

Thanks! I have found a T2 dallas.craigslist .org/sdf/vgm/5269115164.html but I am kinda not that enthused to drive to Dallas and risk hurting the machine on the drive back.

Didn't you say you were 13? How do you drive? Oh, Texas

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from KyleCat:

The top older SS's on my list would be; Funhouse, Pinbot, Taxi, Banzai Run (maby), Whirlwind. Most pin's before DMD in my list will be Williams (I have enjoyed them virtually and IRL), I can't really seem to get into any non-Williams pins before 1991. For my list on top new SS pins I have; T2, TOM, TOTAN, NGG, STNG, Scared Stiff (first pin I ever played), AFM (doubt I can get a good one for under $5,000), WPT, and ST LE. If there are any that you think I might like feel free to suggest.

All those are great...funhouse and whirlwind should be easy to find in your price range. Both are great and usually really dependable. Hard to find a pristine playfield in that era though if you care about that...

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from lancestorm:

Didn't you say you were 13? How do you drive? Oh, Texas

My dad is a pinball enthusiast as well, he doesn't mind driving.

Quoted from Wickerman2:

All those are great...Funhouse and Whirlwind should be easy to find in your price range. Both are great and usually really dependable. Hard to find a pristine playfield in that era though if you care about that...

I saw a WhirlWind in excellent condition in SA for $1500, that was a long time ago too bad I was broke at that time :/

#12 3 years ago

My advice:

1. Don't pay for shipping
    2. Don't buy a new pin
    3. Don't buy something you can't inspect in person
    4. Use this price guide! http://www.bostonpinball.biz/ebay_0515_4.htm
    5. Don't pay more than $200 over the "Average Since 11/25/14"
    6. Offer LESS than the average if the game isn't nice.

Don't ignore older Sterns, because there are some great deals to be had. I sold my NASCAR for $1800 and it's a very fun, dependable pin. Most Sterns under $3k have already fallen as far as they're going to.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

My advice:
    1. Don't pay for shipping
    2. Don't buy a new pin
    3. Don't buy something you can't inspect in person
    4. Use this price guide! (Can't post links yet)
    5. Don't pay more than $200 over the "Average Since 11/25/14"
    6. Offer LESS than the average if the game isn't nice.
    Don't ignore older Sterns, because there are some great deals to be had. I sold my Nascar for $1800 and it's a very fun, dependable pin. Most Sterns under $3k have already fallen as far as they're going to.

Thanks a lot! This guide is superb I saw that maby I can snag a NGG for a fair deal!

#17 3 years ago

Also keep in mind the new "remake" trend. This alone, in my opinion, will drive prices down to a more decent level. I believe that any original "Bally/Williams" pin is a suitable candidate for a remake, as license fees dont have to be paid to actors. You can find many of your pins for your price range, but you will need to invest more into them at that point as the will be very close to "project machine" state.

good luck

#18 3 years ago

Out of your list, I'd focus on Whirlwind, Taxi, T2, Pinbot and WPT. Or any 90's B/W title under $2500.

EDIT: agree with Arpman, but you're safe buying a B/W with a licensed theme. "The Shadow" will never be remade, for example.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Out of your list, I'd focus on Whirlwind, Taxi, T2, Pinbot and WPT. Or any 90's B/W title under $2500.

Sure will!

#21 3 years ago

dallas .craigslist .org/dal/for/5231485866.html I have only virtually played this pin. Since it has good reviews I am assuming this a decent pin that will hold value. From what I am seeing this looks like a good pin. Curious if I am getting a deal or not is the real thing. From looking at swampfire's link it looks like I am pretty safe on this pin. +its licensed so no remake

#22 3 years ago

If that STTNG is legit, which it looks like it is, that could be quite a good deal. Perhaps a local pinhead could help you inspect and purchase your first pin!

#23 3 years ago

That's a really, really low price for a STTNG if it's in half way decent condition. I'm walking out the door, but I'm sure someone can take a look at the pictures in detail for you.

Two things about that machine, it's really freakin' heavy, and supposedly required a lot of maintenance.

#24 3 years ago

That is a good deal, in my opinion. Definitely check it out in person.

#25 3 years ago

$3400 is a good price even if you have to put a few hundred in to it.

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

$3400 is a good price even if you have to put a few hundred in to it.

For sure. I'm curious why the add has been up for 30 days at this price. I'd be on my way to check it out if I had the money

#27 3 years ago

Wow, well first off, welcome to the hobby! I'm always excited to see new people enter the fray of pinball ownership. That STTNG is a fantastic deal if it is truly in good working order. You said that your dad was in to pinball. If he owns/works on pins, make sure you both look at it to make sure that everything is in working order and that there are no issues that are difficult to fix (planking on the playfield etc.). Good luck with your purchase. You have much more fortitude than I did when I was 13. I never would have been able to save that much without spending it!

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from simplykind:

has been up for 30 days at this price.

hmm...that is a bit of a warning but STTNG's are hard to sell for some reason. I think people are scared off by the reputation for trouble and the actual weight?

#29 3 years ago

Should I act now? I might be able to snag it Sunday. If you think I should then I will request a video of debug mode testing all solenoids and gameplay to ensure that the probes, flipper strength, ball retrieval, ect work.

#31 3 years ago

I'd say try and set up a time to see the pin in person with your dad. Maybe ask for a few pictures. Hard to tell from low quality CL pics what kind of shape the playfield is really in. Seems pretty good though...

#32 3 years ago

could be gone and not deleted, check if they have it at all first

#33 3 years ago

What usually breaks? Whats to look out for? I can hardly find this stuff online.

#34 3 years ago

You really shouldn't be concerned about things like remakes and machines holding value. Besides very new games and rare exceptions, pinball machines prices are relatively stable. The market on a 20 year old coin op game usually doesn't fall out from under it and cut the price in half.

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from KyleCat:

What usually breaks? Whats to look out for? I can hardly find this stuff online.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-what-to-look-for

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

https:/ /pinside .com/pinball/forum/topic/sttng-what-to-look-for

Thanks. I have contacted the chap asking for infrared and solenoid test videos before we drive 300 miles.
    Anything else I should ask about?

#38 3 years ago

Best thing to do is just go out and inspect it and play it. Look for playfield wear. I wouldn't worry too much about dings, dents and scratches to the cabinet.....especially at that price. STTNG is also a very safe bet to hold its value at a minimum.....it will probably keep going up.

STTNG is my all time favorite pin......good luck.

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from KyleCat:

Anything else I should ask about?

Any errors, any known or intermittent issues, ANY problems with the cannons? Did he replace ramps(mentions extras)? Without seeing it obviously, I would think you would be pretty safe at that price even if it needed a board repair or new board. Getting a 100% working, decent STTNG for $4k or so is a solid deal so you'd have some room to get up to 4k if it needed a little work. That's a bit of a haul to go for a machine so maybe ask for a few better pics via email.

#40 3 years ago

You can learn a lot about an STTNG by looking at the how clean the inside of the subways are under the PF.
    Maybe play a virtual pin unless you are familiar with the rules. Go take the glass off and check all you can think of. Touch each switch and roll over and start game modes etc... make sure the machine is mostly working at least. If the machine turns on does it ask to go to test report or just boot up? Check boards in back box for obvious hacks and or battery acid damage from leaks. After that it is all condition and cleanliness vs asking price and value do not rush to buy just rush to go look at pins you are interested in. Deals are swept up quickly.

Good luck and welcome to the hobby

#41 3 years ago

Can I contact your dad and see if he will let me adopt you? My 13 year old won't play pinball if I pay him

Seriously though congrats on your focus and dedication. It will benefit you the rest of your life. Keep us posted on what you decide to do. Another thought not mentioned is Johnny Mnemonic. I think that pin is as fun/fast as Tron and nearly as flowy as stern Star Trek but easily in your price range. If the STTNG doesn't work out that maybe another title to look at.

#42 3 years ago

If you are looking for best value for money, go with the Shadow. Brilliant Brian Eddy layout and rules (without the cost of his Medieval Madness or Attack from Mars) , awesome and extremely difficult wizard mode. The popularity on the machine seems to be rising, and prices along with it.

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Can I contact your dad and see if he will let me adopt you? My 13 year old won't play pinball if I pay him
    Seriously though congrats on your focus and dedication. It will benefit you the rest of your life. Keep us posted on what you decide to do. Another thought not mentioned is Johnny Mnemonic. I think that pin is as fun/fast as Tron and nearly as flowy as Stern Star Trek but easily in your price range. If the STTNG doesn't work out that maybe another title to look at.

I understand, hardly any of my friends want to go to Pinballlz Arcade with me and I'm like wth.

#44 3 years ago

Trying to find dimensions on the web for the big Bertha. I can only find weight and wow 300 pound beast. That's a lot of metal, roms, glass, wood, and plastic. Anyone care to measure their STTNG or link me to dimensions?

#45 3 years ago

Nvm just downloaded the flier from ipdb.

#46 3 years ago

Still no response from the email :/

#47 3 years ago
    Quoted from KyleCat:

Sorry bud. But gotta get used to it. Follow up every couple days and hope for the best. Don't try and force deals or get too excited about getting your first game. Could lead you to overpay or overlook issues that are present. Do you research, be patient and you'll find a good one.

#48 3 years ago
    Quoted from KyleCat:

I've had people take WEEKS and then they respond on CL...

#49 3 years ago

ugh guess I will have to wait. It will all be worth it if he responds with more details. I hope he doesn't say the S word. (sold)

#50 3 years ago

http://houston .craigslist.org/tag/5270036566.html

Curious if this is a good deal or not. Help appreciated.
    Might be able to haggle him down to $4500

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 269.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    $ 35.95
    Playfield - Other
    MicksPinball
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 40.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Metalhead Pinball
    $ 199.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    € 3.95
    Flipper Parts
    Multigame
    $ 125.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 7.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Z
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,399.00
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 35.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    There are 179 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside