• 37 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by tr8785
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Hello everyone!

I'm moving in my new place next week and I'll have enough place for one pinball machine in my gaming room. I live in Canada, so I can only afford a Pro machine from Stern.

I'm a big fan of ZY work and I want a machine with his artwork. I was about to buy a DP pro but, with the reveal of TMNT, I'm not sure anymore. I wouldn't say I'm a fan of TMNT but I grew up with them since I was born in the late 80s. In the other hand, I find the theme a little bit more child-ish than DP.

Should I wait for some reviews about the new TMNT even if I really want a pin now ? Should I buy DP since it's been release for almost 2 years and we know it's good pin ? Or should I jump in the TMNT hype train and never look back ?

#2 3 years ago

I don't think you can go wrong with either one. DP is fun and a good pro. TMNT pro looks great and code seems to already be nice. My favorite pro to date is MET.

#3 3 years ago

Hard to say because TMNT isn't available yet.
Have you played DP? It's pretty great.

I would recommend waiting until you can play both to decide. Of course, you can always get a nice used DP in the meantime and trade/sell it later if you want a TMNT.

#4 3 years ago

I had the same dilemma and was just about to order DP the day that TMNT was announced. I ordered TMNT. It looks fast and fun and flows, whereas DP looks fun, but a bit more clunky.

#5 3 years ago

DP for me.

I have no affinity for the Turtles at all. Game looks like it shoots fun, but I am not a fan of the franchise or the art on it. I think ZY did a better job on DP.

#6 3 years ago

I have a similar dilemma. I have had an Iron Maiden Pro (my first NIB and pin) going on two years. I still really enjoy it, but I am also hankering for a change. I only have space (and funds) for one pin. I love Zombie Yeti's art and have an affinity for both Deadpool and TMNT. While I like Deadpool's gameplay, I'm a little concerned that I may get bored of it sooner rather than later. Deadpool appears to be a great second pin to a lineup, just not sure when it's the only pin.

It's still early to gauge TMNT's gameplay variety, but flow looks incredible judging from the existing videos. Those animations though... oof. They are likely to improve however. For now, I'm going to wait and see how things evolve with TMNT and make a call later this year.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from Whifflebat:

I have a similar dilemma. I have had an Iron Maiden Pro (my first NIB and pin) going on two years. I still really enjoy it, but I am also hankering for a change.

You are both in Canada.
I’d buy this fellas IMDN pro.

#8 3 years ago

Are you dead set on NIB? I loved my DP premium, but large portions of the playfield chipped off with less than 200 plays. You can likely buy a really nice HUO, save some cash, and be able to see if it has any playfield issues before placing down the money.

Can't speak to TMNT as we haven't played it, but good luck regardless what you choose.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from Bou-Da:

Hello everyone!
I'm moving in my new place next week and I'll have enough place for one pinball machine in my gaming room. I live in Canada, so I can only afford a Pro machine from Stern.
I'm a big fan of ZY work and I want a machine with his artwork. I was about to buy a DP pro but, with the reveal of TMNT, I'm not sure anymore. I wouldn't say I'm a fan of TMNT but I grew up with them since I was born in the late 80s. In the other hand, I find the theme a little bit more child-ish than DP.
Should I wait for some reviews about the new TMNT even if I really want a pin now ? Should I buy DP since it's been release for almost 2 years and we know it's good pin ? Or should I jump in the TMNT hype train and never look back ?

Do you play pinball often with family or friends? The new co-op/team modes on TMNT look like fun. On DP I vastly prefer the Premium over the Pro because of the smooth left orbit shot and drops. If i had to pick between just the Pro's I'd pick TMNT. If it were a choice between Premiums I would probably lean DP. I think either way you'll be happy.

#10 3 years ago

I’d go Deadpool with the thought of taking the known commodity over the very much unknown. It takes months for a lot of games to ever find their legs and be real standouts. DP’s rarely come up for sale publicly so I’d say at this point in time it would hold its value well. So buy it, play it and if TMNT looks like a winner then sell the DP and pick up a TMNT. You’d probably only lose around $750 on the DP right now I’m guessing... but no real sales to back that guess up.

#11 3 years ago

I'm having a similar debate with myself. I owned a NIB IMDN before and really loved it. I'm now torn between the new TMNT and JP2. I've been mulling it over since the Turtles reveal and just can't make up my mind

#12 3 years ago

Well, no one has played TMNT yet. A bit early to call that pin a winner.

DP you know what you're getting.

Either way, unless you live in the middle of nowhere, pins aren't very hard to sell. Go with your gut. Enjoy it for a bit. Cycle in another one.

#13 3 years ago

DP, its a fun game. TMNT as theme is totally uninteresting for me personally.

#14 3 years ago

Thanks everyone for the replies. I still don't know which one I'm gonna get but I'll probably make my choice tomorrow.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from mrmark0673:

Are you dead set on NIB? I loved my DP premium, but large portions of the playfield chipped off with less than 200 plays. You can likely buy a really nice HUO, save some cash, and be able to see if it has any playfield issues before placing down the money.

Are you absolutely sure you can’t wait? Got money burning a hole in your pocket? Take this guy’s advice unless you’ve just got to spend the money ASAP.

#16 3 years ago

Get a Guardians Pro instead. Trust me, you will not be disappointed.

Artwork by ZY is great, but artwork only goes so far. Gameplay should be number one on your checklist. Don’t get hung up on art, you honestly won’t care about it a few months in, gameplay is king

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from mrmark0673:

Can't speak to TMNT as we haven't played it, but good luck regardless what you choose.

The chipping playfield is it a problem only with DP or any Stern machine ?

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

Artwork by ZY is great, but artwork only goes so far. Gameplay should be number one on your checklist. Don’t get hung up on art, you honestly won’t care about it a few months in, gameplay is king

Game play and code is king!!!! DP has great code and great play to it, some say clunky but if you are a decent shooter which in time we all become it shoots smooth. TNMT is new and unknown at the moment. It's looks great has some nice toys and the art is pretty cool, code wise well Dwight is hit and miss just search GB ( 3years) and Mun fiasco with his coding, then again SW and some others are pretty good by him. However I'm in the boat with his games that they must be played first before buying which should be for any title really, if you have funds to throw now DP has been proven TNMT has not. A lot easier to move established good titles down the road then buying an unknown that could be anything but later on.

Or just wait both will still be available in a few short months where you can play them and then choose wisely.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#19 3 years ago
Quoted from Bou-Da:

Thanks everyone for the replies. I still don't know which one I'm gonna get but I'll probably make my choice tomorrow.

Pick a date you’d like to have your new game home - let’s say Sep 1. Three months for normalcy to return to everyday. That means the first batch of TMNT pro’s and the LE’s shipped. So now you could watch further streams and videos and may find one to play. It sounds like you haven’t played much DP either. You could watch those videos to see if you even like it. Read the rules. Watch the lcd.

I guess my advice boils down to this -> Patience, Grasshopper. Rather than deciding today, with so many unanswered questions, agree to wait. Spend that time researching both games more. Chillax, you are in the enviable position of having cash in hand and deciding which nib game to buy. Just prior to Sep, you should have developed a personal preference for one. Or maybe the differences are small and you decide to take whichever is available then. You will be making fully-educated decision. Good luck.

#20 3 years ago

Deadpool is solid. It gets a little tiring in home environment. I had an LE. You see a lot of the top three modes a lot: Juggernaut, Mystique, Sabertooth. A LOT. One thing that bugged me is Mechsuit multiball. You can't stack it. You just need to play it. Over time it just became, an 'ok' pin for me.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Deadpool is solid. It gets a little tiring in home environment. I had an LE. You see a lot of the top three modes a lot: Juggernaut, Mystique, Sabertooth. A LOT. One thing that bugged me is Mechsuit multiball. You can't stack it. You just need to play it. Over time it just became, an 'ok' pin for me.

This^. Sold DP and bought an EHOH. No regrets

#22 3 years ago

Go TMNT! Best pin EVER!!!

#23 3 years ago

I would buy a nice used LOTR, Walking Dead, MMR, or AFMR over either of those and save some money at the same time.

If you really want a Deadpool, there are plenty of low play HUO Deadpool’s out there for sale and you’d probably save $800-1000 over a new one.

Just my $.02.

#24 3 years ago

Yeah - I would tend to Pile on here. I think Deadpool is fantastic & own it currently. However, I wouldn't buy one to be my ONLY machine. It's fairly repetitive, and fits GREAT into a home line up. But if this was my only pin, I would be bored with it within a very short time. It's great, I love it, but I have other pins to play.

There are really only 5 "modes."
There are some expansions on those modes as you go deeper into the game, but you see a LOT of Mystique / Sabretooth / Juggernaught.
Even after you beat them, you just kind of "keep doing it."

TMNT looks to be a lot deeper. So, as a sole-pin, might be a better choice. It would keep you interested longer.
Really depends on what you're looking for. I think AFM is great - I love it, but it's a one trick pony... Same thing With DP. It's just like - a "3 trick pony"

#25 3 years ago

I'm basically in the same boat as you. I'm considering both pins but will definitely wait until I can play TMNT. I like DP's art, theme, music, code and it has been on my short list for a long time but only time will tell with TMNT. Let us know which you get and what you think of it.

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Pick a date you’d like to have your new game home - let’s say Sep 1. Three months for normalcy to return to everyday. That means the first batch of TMNT pro’s and the LE’s shipped. So now you could watch further streams and videos and may find one to play. It sounds like you haven’t played much DP either. You could watch those videos to see if you even like it. Read the rules. Watch the lcd.
I guess my advice boils down to this -> Patience, Grasshopper. Rather than deciding today, with so many unanswered questions, agree to wait. Spend that time researching both games more. Chillax, you are in the enviable position of having cash in hand and deciding which nib game to buy. Just prior to Sep, you should have developed a personal preference for one. Or maybe the differences are small and you decide to take whichever is available then. You will be making fully-educated decision. Good luck.

I'll follow your advice.

You guys are right. I'm in no rush to buy a NIB. I'll probably look for a nice used machine and maybe save some money. If I don't find any that suit me, it gonna give me time to read and watch reviews about TMNT.

Thanks everyone!

#27 3 years ago

I'd wait for TMNT and play a DP in the mean time. It's a good game but I've never really got the hype. If I needed a pro TODAY, it would be JP or IMDN for sure.

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

Get a Guardians Pro instead. Trust me, you will not be disappointed.

Uh, you’ll likely be disappointed...

2 weeks later
#29 3 years ago

*bring this thread up*

I am about to decide to buy a new pinball machine. I'm currently targeting one of the two machines as a pro version.

I know TMNT is new and exiting - the hypetrain is rolling. DP on the otherside is well known and alot of fun.

Maybe some owners of both machines can give feedback what they like/dislike on each machine.

btw: Playing both is an option but due to covid 19 it's not so easy to get the chance to play it in the next 2 months.

#30 3 years ago

Without question Deadpool!

#31 3 years ago

DP is amazing but maybe find a TMNT on location and see what you think before taking the plunge. Pun intended...

4 weeks later
#32 3 years ago

I was in your shoes right around the same time. Play any of the games you are debating about. Covid has made that harder to do but it’s worth the wait. I bought a NIB deadpool pro without playing it and I have to admit it’s very fun but part of me wishes I would have tried all the machines I was interested in first.

#33 3 years ago

Deadpool, the art looks stunning and its more of an "adult" themed pin imo. Obviously if you can play them first that would be ideal, Deadpool has been a solid contender since its release though

#34 3 years ago

I've played both at bars.. I'd go with DP because they're both very similar as far as game play but unless you're getting it for a kid, DP is the better game imo. I can't believe TMNT is currently the #1 ranked pin of all time on this website lol

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

*bring this thread up*
I am about to decide to buy a new pinball machine. I'm currently targeting one of the two machines as a pro version.
I know TMNT is new and exiting - the hypetrain is rolling. DP on the otherside is well known and alot of fun.
Maybe some owners of both machines can give feedback what they like/dislike on each machine.
btw: Playing both is an option but due to covid 19 it's not so easy to get the chance to play it in the next 2 months.

Played both next to each other - and i had the "one more game feeling" with TNMT. Deadpool was cool and a blast to play, but after one mid long game with 750 millions i had enough.
TMNT was way more fun to me - also liked the playfield layout with the 3rd flipper.

#36 3 years ago

Love my DP LE. Great easy to understand rules.
Not sure yet on Turtles. Tons of shots on it but the low scoring is a turn off for me and the theme is a zero.

#37 3 years ago

I currently have a DP Pro. I ordered a TMNT Pro before every playing it. I played a TMNT OLC last week. It’s a great game. I love Deadpool. I think I’m really going to love TMNT.

If you have kids, the coop option On TMNT is really cool.

I feel like DP has made me a better shooter because of how challenging/clunky George Gomez’s shots are.

You really can’t go wrong with either pin.After gameplay, I’m a sucker for artwork and animations. These pins both check that box.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
HurryUpPinball
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 119.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation
Shooter rods
$ 109.99
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lucxor
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts
Protection
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations
Decals
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
6,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buying-my-first-nib-dp-vs-new-tmnt?hl=pinball_gizzard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.