Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by ruairidh
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

I know this topic has been hashed and rehashed, but I'm sure there is always new and useful information...

I've been doing a lot of looking at buying a game sight unseen and shipped. Not NIB, but refab/used. So much of what I've looked at has seemed little shady and the thought alone makes me a little hesitant. Are there recommendations for places to deal with? Who's had good luck dealing with who?

#2 12 years ago

Definitely have to go with a reputable dealer such as GAP, HEP or Treasure cove. There are others. You will pay more but shouldn't have any suprises. Just because they sell a lot of pins doesn't necesarily mean they are good. Will have to check around.
    Also persons with a lot of rep on a forum are less likely to steer you wrong.
    Ask for LOTS of pics and then ask for more. If they balk, walk away. If you get the slightest nagging fealing, walk away. There are other pins out there.
    I have yet to purchase a used pin unseen though because I am too cheap to pay top dollar and too suspicious to buy from a person I don't know on a good deal.

#3 12 years ago

Well my feelings are dont do it - always see what you are buying in person
    However I would rather buy a pin from someone who has been on pinside for a few years
    then an unknown dealer/flipper like on ebay or other online sites.

About 3 years ago I went out to buy a pin off C-list the guy was extremely cool to talk with,
    we talked for a bit after I bought the pin and he told me this story - he drives a truck that picks up dumpsters off construction sites and the like and was about to load up outside a clients warehouse and found the container full of pinball machines and back boxes - mostly EMs but also solid state pins and of course he had to dump them at the landfill.
    Was his company policy not to save anything for the employee-drivers .

So what happend ? the way I see it someone rents a building buys 3-4 containers of pins from Europe or Brazil (45 x 4 = 180) what ever games turn on/boot up they sell right away, other popular pins they take X-amount of time with the part time help they have hired and the rest that take too much time are thrown out.
    So I never want to support big operations that have no qualms about throwing away a machine that could be saved and would rather pay a private collector like one of us who is part of the hobby and not feeding off the hobby.
    -Just the way I see it

#4 12 years ago

SC - What is GAP? I know High End... And thanks for chiming in. I know you're outside CONUS, so I assumed you would have thought about/looked into this quite a bit...

HDC, I hear ya. The main issue on why I would like to have games shipped out to me is because there is a short supply here. Not only would it help the community at large, but since the amount of games available here is slim (and what is available generally is trashed and costs a mint), it would be great to introduce some "new" titles into the area. The problem is finding someone to do it that is trustworthy and inside a "decent" price range for a refab that is willing to ship. I don't think most collectors or enthusiasts are set up to pallet and ship, which is the hard part, because I'd much rather buy a game from a private individual than a shop.

#6 12 years ago

I like the Rock music ,, when the site kick's in !!!

#7 12 years ago

In my experience, the best place to buy pins is from local collectors. Collectors, particularly if they are a friend of yours, will generally sell stuff at reasonable prices. Trading is another good way to keep the collection fresh. If you do buy from a dealer, I would still recommend doing it locally so that you can see/play the machine before purchasing it. I would not recommend buying a pin and having it shipped unless it is from a VERY reputable seller. If you do find a pin that you are interested in purchasing sight unseen, always do your due diligence by checking out the seller's reputation on RGP and the various pinball forums before pulling the trigger.

#8 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

In my experience, the best place to buy pins is from local collectors. Collectors, particularly if they are a friend of yours

True to that!

if you don't have many friends with pins, try to join a Pinball club, get to know people and check and see if they sell or trade.

The only thing I don't like about this places is that when you check inventory on pinball machines, they are sold out, I don't understand why they keep the listing live. why would they put SOLD instead of erasing the ad? I hate that!

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from tk375:

The only thing I don't like about this places is that when you check inventory on pinball machines, they are sold out,

A fresh, accurate inventory would be better, yes. I wouldn't mind pricing listed, too. We KNOW they are high end restorations, searching for the prices kind of grates on me...

Still an awesome company though and they post here!

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from tk375:

I don't understand why they keep the listing live. why would they put SOLD instead of erasing the ad?

I think the reason Mike does that is because if someone sees a pin they are interested in, he can find one for them. He should make this more clear on his site, though.

#11 12 years ago

I don't know how I missed great american pinball as GAP

g'pose, oh how i know. it would be great if there was anyone other than the small handful of people in my area. Granted, Denver and Austin are both a days drive for me, but it's a long commitment to walk away from empty handed...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buying-games-online and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.