Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by vwallat99
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

I don't want to offend any distributors with this topic, but I'm truly interested in understanding the benefits of buying from a distributor vs direct from a manufacturer. I apologize in advance if asking the questions is insulting in any way, it's really not my intent at all. I tried searching for an earlier forum post about this topic, but couldn't find one.

I'm looking to buy my first NIB, which is DI so it's manufactured by JJP. The prices I've been quoted from a distributor are the same I would get from JJP directly so what is the benefit of buying from a distributor? Is there any value on introducing a third party? For support, I would assume that I'd have to go back to the manufacturer anyway. I guess that if there's a serious problem, the distributor could help with a replacement? Any thoughts would be really helpful.

Thanks for any feedback you provide!

#2 6 years ago

You would always get the distributors support... In case of any issues, however we all know this hobby has no issues!
    Why not support your local businesses it's a win win ...

#3 6 years ago

Great question,I'm in the same boat as you,so I'll be checking back to read the replies.

#4 6 years ago

If there is a problem and your distributor is local, they can come out and fix the problem. If you buy from a manufacturer, then you have to find a pinball tech to come out or fix it yourself. Maybe the manufacturer will help you find a local tech.

#5 6 years ago

Buy from a distributor who has to work for your dollar, otherwise buy direct if the option is available.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

You would always get the distributors support... In case of any issues, however we all know this hobby has no issues!
    Why not support your local businesses it's a win win ...

Sales tax?

#7 6 years ago

Here's my 2 cents I have bought 8 new pins from 3 different manufactures all though distributors. I would do so in the future. Examples.
    So I bought a new Woz from Mike at Automated when got this title it was scarce and I got favorable terms.
    I had several annoying nib problems and didn't get anywhere with jjp. I called Mike and within 24 hours I was contacted by Jack. Problem solved
    My Spider-Man had ghosting I sent pictures to Trent at Tilt he got me a replacement play field. I really didn't have to anything. Enough said.
    So here you have King Pin Games in Wisconsin the owner Chris goes to MGC in Milwaukee where there has been no JJP presence at this show. He slepts multiple new pins weighing 350 pounds and is there all day every day this should warrant sales. I know I would strongly consider buying from him.
    I have seen others distributors that bring so much to the table as well. Cheers.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from indybru:

So here you have King Pin Games in Wisconsin the owner Chris goes to MGC in Milwaukee where there has been no JJP presence at this show. He slepts multiple new pins weighing 350 pounds and is there all day every day this should warrant sales. I know I would strongly consider buying from him.

https://www.kingpingames.net/ Chris is awesome. Give him a call.

LTG : )

#9 6 years ago

I would rather buy direct for less than go through distributor.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from indybru:

Here's my 2 cents I have bought 8 new pins from 3 different manufactures all though distributors. I would do so in the future. Examples.
    So I bought a new Woz from Mike at Automated when got this title it was scarce and I got favorable terms.
    I had several annoying nib problems and didn't get anywhere with jjp. I called Mike and within 24 hours I was contacted by Jack. Problem solved
    My Spider-Man had ghosting I sent pictures to Trent at Tilt he got me a replacement play field. I really didn't have to anything. Enough said.
    I have seen others distributors that bring so much to the table as well. Cheers.

Quoted from LTG:

https://www.kingpingames.net/ Chris is awesome. Give him a call.
    LTG : )

Awww, you guys are going to make me blush.

Just for reference, here is the "partial" list that I am bringing to the MGC this year.

(2) Woz 75
    (2) Hobbit Black Arrow
    (2) Dialed In Limited Editon
    (4) MMr
    (3) AFMr CE (classic edition)
    (3) AFMr SE (special edition)
    (2) Arcade Legends 3
    (2) Ms. Pacman / Galaga
    (2) Houdini (magic glass, shaker and interior art installed)

I will also have the following

42" Big Buck Hunter World Deluxe
    32" LCD Golden Tee Live 2017
    Arachnid Knock Off (virtual shuffleboard/alley)
    42" Target Toss Pro pedestal
    Arachnid 2.5 Dart Board
    Afterburner Climax
    Striker Fighter
    Big Buck Hunter Safari (27")
    Silver Strike Live (27")

20-25 assorted kiddie rides

Let me know if you are interested.

Christopher

#11 6 years ago

here are some responses from distributors in a similar thread

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-or-distributor

Larry from Flip n Out

Buy from whoever you are comfortable. But food for thought. Does that person or company haul games to shows so that everyone might get a chance to play them? Its expensive to bring games to shows and a lot of work. JJP helps the local distributors sometimes with games for the shows but often its the local guy hauling his showroom games, setting them up, taking them down and then taking the loss of that game since its now out of the box and a demo. Does the distributor answer the phone on weekends and at night? Help with tech support if he can? Like I said buy from someone you trust and are comfortable in dealing but is price everything?

Larry
    flipnoutpinball.com

Christopher from KingPin (me)

Couldn't have said it better myself flipnout1. I just got done doing 2 home remodel shows in the Madison, WI area. I will also be bringing games from Wisconsin to the Texas Pinball Festival and to the Midwest Gaming Classic. This is truly a labor of love. For the amount of time that is put in just to have someone buy from another distributor because "they are cheaper" is a slap in the face. I am all for finding the best deal, but the cheapest price isn't always the best deal. Check around. Games can be shipped from anywhere, what matters is service after the deal. What happens when you order a game from a distributor/manufacturer that only is around monday-friday 9am-5pm and you have an issue on a saturday morning? Most of the "smaller distributors" (like me) are answering our phones and responding to emails 7 days a week... some of us even do it for machines we didn't sell.

Christopher
    KingPin Games
    Authorized JJP Distributor
    608-393-2299 cell

Jesse from Pincades

Well spoken by both of you fellas. (Both Great Dist.'s as well) I will agree with all those quotes, Especially setting up shows. That's on the dist. dime, its not cheap either when you figure travel, hotel, food, employee, all show expenses etc.
    Pincades
    Chicago Land JJP Dist.
    JT

Joe from Pinball Star

Most distributors are hard working people IN the hobby. We do ADD a lot as prior posted stated...

Steve, thanks for the kind words... We always do try to have great pricing, games pre-bought in stock or ready to go at factory so no wait / quick shipping, and excellent service / communication before and after the sale... Equally pleased this post came from someone who isn't even a customer yet - very cool.. We work hard and do alot in the pinball community - huge booths at shows, parties, charity work, donations of prizes to tournaments, etc... so thank you... : )

Joe Newhart
    PinballSTAR Amusements
    [email protected]

As you can see, we all feel the same way. With the new pricing policies in place, the price from any distributor vs jjp direct should be the same. at the end of the day you just have to decide if you want to deal with a distributor (who might be available to answer the phone, email, facebook, etc) at 9:40pm cst on a sunday night, or directly with JJP (whom has great customer service). The other nice thing about dealing with a distributor is the fact that you can do a trade in if you like. JJP direct does not do that (that i am aware of).

Any way you cut it, just get a game and have fun with it. If you are coming to MGC (Midwest Gaming Classic) in Milwaukee this coming weekend I will have some fresh out of the box Dialed In Limited Editions available for play and to take home at show special pricing.

#12 6 years ago

You can no longer buy directly from Stern unless you are a distributor. So the benefit is that you are able to buy and play new Stern machines from a distributor or nothing. Also, if you are in Canada, it’s even worse markup because there is only one distributor in the entire country that marks up games to damn near full MSRP.

#13 6 years ago

KingPinGames gave me some straps when I came a little unprepared to buy a game. So there is that kind of personal service going through a distributor!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buying-from-distributor-vs-manufacturer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.