Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by pmWolf
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

I have about $2,500 to spend on a first pinball machine. Any advice on what to get or any current deals I should check out right now?

#2 11 years ago

The Shadow or Demolition man..........Best bangs for you buck!

#3 11 years ago

Bride of Pinbot, terminator 2 or 3, shadow, Flintstones, NASCAR, monopoly, road show, fish tales, junkyard, beam stokers Dracula, star wars episode 1

My top choices fish tales, bride of Pinbot, and terminators

#4 11 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Star Wars Episode 1

eeeks, I would have to disagree on that one

#5 11 years ago

You're in Michigan?

Only know him from reputation, but John Dayhuff is a straight shooter.

#6 11 years ago

I would go with ft

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from vaxick:

I have about $2,500 to spend on a first pinball machine. Any advice on what to get or any current deals I should check out right now?

What do you like? Flow? Stop-and-go? DMD? Alpha?

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

What do you like? Flow? Stop-and-go? DMD? Alpha?

I'll admit, a machine with a DMD is pretty cool, but I've had many fond memories growing up with older style machines like Cyclone.

As for play style, not really sure. I suppose I like ones that toss the ball all over the play field, but I don't mind ones either that have stop and go elements.

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from vaxick:

I'll admit, a machine with a DMD is pretty cool, but I've had many fond memories growing up with older style machines like Cyclone.
    As for play style, not really sure. I suppose I like ones that toss the ball all over the play field, but I don't mind ones either that have stop and go elements.

Then for the money buy two, two machines is waaaaay better than 1, you will play more because 1 can get old. For the money you could get games like firepower and cyclone

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from DougPiranha:

eeeks, I would have to disagree on that one

What are you disagreeing with, I never said it was a good game, just that it fits the budget

I listed the ones I like as the best choices. Though there are many that like swe1, it may be worth a look by the op for the price.

I own one, the kids love it, and it attracts a lot of new players, that said it may be perfect for him, dunno

#11 11 years ago

Before I made a suggestion I would ask a few questions first.
    1. Do you have any experience or desire to work on or tinker with pinball machines?
    2. Do you want a decent basic machine that works well but could use some improvement or
    Do you want the absolute best playing most reliable (reliable is not a real word in pinball) machine you can get for $2500?
    3. Anything in mind that you already want? Theme, music, multiball, time period, ramps, etc.
    $2500 is a good starting number. You can go one of two ways. You can buy for example terminator 2 in pristine condition freshly shopped for $2500 or you can buy a newer terminator 3 for the same $2500 but expect to do some work here and there. Maybe rebuild a flipper or two, etc. if your not handy or don't have time to be handy than by all means stick with something that's already had the work done. If you love getting your hands dirty and fixing things like me than you can save lots of money. In your area you shouldn't have any problem finding a pinhead to check out a machine before you buy it. Most pinsiders will be happy to help. Even with some experience under your belt its impossible to catch every flaw in a 10 min look under the hood. With no experience it was hard to know what I was looking at. One of the biggest complaints I get from new guys when buying is the prices are all over the place. They are right! Name any machine and I can show you 10 for sale with a $5000 price swing between them. How is a first time buyer to know the real price point? That's where we come in. Before you buy a machine start a thread and ask what to look for and how much to pay. If you can count on anything it's us offering you our opinion on pins. If things are moving to fast to stop and start a thread than google "price check xxxxx xxxxx pinball" you will get lots of hits from others asking the same question. Just make sure it's a current thread, prices change. Ok, I'm done rambling. Good luck and welcome to pinside!!!!!

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Then for the money buy two, two machines is waaaaay better than 1, you will play more because 1 can get old. For the money you could get games like firepower and cyclone

Only have the space for one right now, haha.

#13 11 years ago

World Cup soccer is a great game for the price...should have money left over for another machine.

#14 11 years ago

Really the best machine is the one you can find at a good deal and that you have played and like. Finding fair priced games is a challenge for sure. There are a bunch of good games for under $2500 but finding it is another story.

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from the_pin_family:

Before I made a suggestion I would ask a few questions first.
    1. Do you have any experience or desire to work on or tinker with pinball machines?
    2. Do you want a decent basic machine that works well but could use some improvement or
    Do you want the absolute best playing most reliable (reliable is not a real word in pinball) machine you can get for $2500?
    3. Anything in mind that you already want? Theme, music, multiball, time period, ramps, etc.
    $2500 is a good starting number. You can go one of two ways. You can buy for example Terminator 2 in pristine condition freshly shopped for $2500 or you can buy a newer Terminator 3 for the same $2500 but expect to do some work here and there. Maybe rebuild a flipper or two, etc. if your not handy or don't have time to be handy than by all means stick with something that's already had the work done. If you love getting your hands dirty and fixing things like me than you can save lots of money. In your area you shouldn't have any problem finding a pinhead to check out a machine before you buy it. Most pinsiders will be happy to help. Even with some experience under your belt its impossible to catch every flaw in a 10 min look under the hood. With no experience it was hard to know what I was looking at. One of the biggest complaints I get from new guys when buying is the prices are all over the place. They are right! Name any machine and I can show you 10 for sale with a $5000 price swing between them. How is a first time buyer to know the real price point? That's where we come in. Before you buy a machine start a thread and ask what to look for and how much to pay. If you can count on anything it's us offering you our opinion on pins. If things are moving to fast to stop and start a thread than google "price check xxxxx xxxxx pinball" you will get lots of hits from others asking the same question. Just make sure it's a current thread, prices change. Ok, I'm done rambling. Good luck and welcome to pinside!!!!!

1. I don’t really have an electrical background. I’m not scared to tinker around with something as long as I can have some sort of guide in front of me. For example, I just opened up my Vectrex to adjust the picture on the tube.
    2. I’d certainly like a cabinet in nice condition and some reliability would be sound.
    3. I’m fairly open to various designs. I admit, I probably am more appealed to tables that have a lot of fast action elements to them.

I’d love to find somebody close to me, though I am willing to travel to pickup a machine at. Well worth a road trip for a pinball machine Yes, trying to find prices online has been hectic. eBay prices are insane and Cragislist has been interesting to say the least. I figured hopefully I could find something great from somebody on here and I’m very impressed with the community.

#17 11 years ago

Get a nice FT. It will hold its value.

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from mickthepin:

Get a nice FT. It will hold its value.

They basically all hold their value. Also, some people don't care about value. They just want fun. Ft to me is for more of a seasoned player. It's a hard game. I wouldn't buy a ft as a first pin without playing some and liking it. JMO

#19 11 years ago

I think Fish Tales or The Shadow are good suggestions. They both have longevity. Fish Tales is a bit on the difficult side, but personally, I'd like that if it were my only pin. World Cup Soccer 94 is also a great suggestion - good starter pin.

#20 11 years ago

Tru I got it as my first pin but that was cause I played it heaps as a kid

#21 11 years ago

This would be a good first pin. It is being sold by someone who knows his sh!t and a decent price. If clay said it is ready to go, it is. Buy it and enjoy it for a couple of months and when you get tired of it sell it for 1500 and buy a different one.

#22 11 years ago

I'm in the same area as you with about the same budget, also looking for my first pin, and I'm having trouble finding a good deal. At first I had a couple pins in mind but I'm opening it up now that I'm getting a little frustrated. I think prices are very high around here and that includes nearby states. I guess you have to know where to look but I haven't figured it out yet.

DougP above is exactly right.

#23 11 years ago

Shadow is fairly difficult and has no pop bumpers so I don't know about that as an only pin. FT is fun but rather limited in game play. HS2 might be a good place to start.

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from Chrizg:

This would be a good first pin. It is being sold by someone who knows his sh!t and a decent price. If clay said it is ready to go, it is

I 2nd that. this game sometimes has issues with the center file cabinet, but if clay worked on it and it's ready to go, JUMP ON IT!

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinmeister:

HS2 might be a good place to start

Yes, and usually only mid to high teens

WCS94 too is a great first game.

Shadow is a wicked hard pin and most non-pinheads hate it. I even have moments of "Get rid of this frickin brutal pin" then I realize I should keep it.

#26 11 years ago

I can see the WCS94 argument. It could be a great first pin, Big Bang fir buck. Goalllllll!

#27 11 years ago

Buying that X-files from Clay is sound advice. It seems like it's priced fair and you can rest assured that it's in top shape coming from Clay.

My first pin was a Lethal Weapon 3. It wasn't a pin I was seeking, but I got my feet wet with owning a pin and learning how they work, small repairs, etc.

My advice would be to get a good deal and get your first pin, and keep an eye open for something you really want after that. Oh, and free up room for another pin. They are like Lays potato chips or t*ts, you can't have just one!

#28 11 years ago

My 2 Cents: PLEASE, MY suggestion, buy a game that is FULLY SHOPPED OUT.
    No Project or Semi-Project games.

#29 11 years ago

Fish Tales or Dr Who

#30 11 years ago

If you like ramp games then Cyclone would be a really fun and challenging machine. Look for a good one, fully shopped with everything working and no bubbling mylar. If you like the pinball moving nonstop and the idea that you can totally follow the ball from plunge to drain then pick a 1977 to 1982 pin. Lots of great classic Sterns and Ballys out there.

#31 11 years ago

WCS, HS2, JD, JM, DM, Congo, JP, TFTC, BSD, DH, DW, W?D, BOP.............

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from BagAJellyDonuts:

You're in Michigan?
    Only know him from reputation, but John Dayhuff is a straight shooter.

Seconded. Also Pete Mathis (pmwolf on here) is a great seller too. Send me a message if you want to get in touch with either of these two guys!

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from vaxick:

Only have the space for one right now, haha.

Famous last words. You will make room for more.

I bought a Johnny Mnemonic, Jurassic Park, Bride of Pinbot and Dr. Dude because they all were cheap (at the time I bought them) and they have a lot going for them. System 11 games seem to be rising in price as there is a "Police Force" in your neighborhood for $1400 (obo) on Craigslist.

My first pick would be the Shadow would be my first pick with $2500 in cash though. It's the same guy who did Attack from Mars and Medieval Madness so there's humor and lots of cool modes and effects.

I see X-files getting some love on the thread, but it just didn't do much for me. Great theme and nice play, but not a lot of cool modes to work towards. Jurassic Park, Johnny Mnemonic and games like No Fear will be a little more than what the X-Files was listed for, but there is a lot more to do.

#34 11 years ago

I'd go with Shadow, BSD, JP, DH, and JM.

#35 11 years ago

I've got a T2 and Judge Dredd here in Union City.

Feel free to email me at [email protected]

Pete

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buying-first-pinball-machine-2500?hl=madmaxx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.