(Topic ID: 266407)

Buying First Pinball: Deciding what to watch on Netflix…

By KC_Green

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by zaphod
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FC723BA1-FEB9-4787-B389-D3648890A493 (resized).jpeg

#1 3 years ago

I am buying my first pinball machine (or two). Starting out, I googled ‘Pinball Machine Reviews.’ Wow. Like opening the door to leave Auntie M’s going from black & white to Oz in color, Wow. Since then, I have signed up to Pinside, watched a ton of SDTM, and started listening to Kaneda. I even watched the TWIPYS. There is a whole culture here that has been a binge to discover.

All of this, to help me make a decision what to buy. Yes. I over analyze, and this put reading a few Amazon reviews to shame. This is a vibrant Sub-Culture with drama and impassioned politics to boot. Now I feel like I’m deciding what to watch on Netflix or Prime. There are so many great options!? Watch a familiar funny sitcom? Start a multi-season show requiring commitment? The Sci-fi+ show everyone’s talking about? And then there is the Tiger documentary. Anyone else have this feeling when finding something to watch? You can spend like 30+ minutes just deciding, especially if the spouse joins the decision.
    So. Now I’m more educated and ready to go. Buy ‘New in Box.’ Help the hobby during this Corona economy! Give the family something fun to do [and bond over] while in quarantine. Let’s go!

Jurassic Park? Game of year, good ole reliable Stern is a no-brainer. But Jersey Jack games are simply gorgeous. The Hobbit would be a piece of art to add to the home and Dialed-In made my kids eyes pop out. Then there are those Chicago Game remakes of Medieval and Monster Bash that look a safe bet. Impossible not to enjoy. Whoa. Hold on! I was foreign exchange student to Germany so even the negative comments on American’s Oktoberfest aren’t enough to make not go full on Lederhosen.

How do you just pick one? Or even two? Now I understand why people are buying/selling/trading all the time. With my basement being the plan, I am going go get very good with straps and a dolly.

#2 3 years ago
    Quoted from KC_Green:

I am buying my first pinball machine (or two). Starting out, I googled ‘Pinball Machine Reviews.’ Wow. Like opening the door to leave Auntie M’s going from black & white to Oz in color, Wow. Since then, I have signed up to Pinside, watched a ton of SDTM, and started listening to Kaneda. I even watched the TWIPYS. There is a whole culture here that has been a binge to discover.
    All of this, to help me make a decision what to buy. Yes. I over analyze, and this put reading a few Amazon reviews to shame. This is a vibrant Sub-Culture with drama and impassioned politics to boot. Now I feel like I’m deciding what to watch on Netflix or Prime. There are so many great options!? Watch a familiar funny sitcom? Start a multi-season show requiring commitment? The Sci-fi+ show everyone’s talking about? And then there is the Tiger documentary. Anyone else have this feeling when finding something to watch? You can spend like 30+ minutes just deciding, especially if the spouse joins the decision.
    So. Now I’m more educated and ready to go. Buy ‘New in Box.’ Help the hobby during this Corona economy! Give the family something fun to do [and bond over] while in quarantine. Let’s go!
    Jurassic Park? Game of year, good ole reliable Stern is a no-brainer. But Jersey Jack games are simply gorgeous. The Hobbit would be a piece of art to add to the home and Dialed-In made my kids eyes pop out. Then there are those Chicago Game remakes of Medieval and Monster Bash that look a safe bet. Impossible not to enjoy. Whoa. Hold on! I was foreign exchange student to Germany so even the negative comments on American’s Oktoberfest aren’t enough to make not go full on Lederhosen.
    How do you just pick one? Or even two? Now I understand why people are buying/selling/trading all the time. With my basement being the plan, I am going go get very good with straps and a dolly.

Hey thanks for watching our SDTM Reviews! You’re on the right track

#3 3 years ago

You’re going to the love the rabbit hole that you’re walking up to. I was positive that I was only going to get one machine 4 years ago...I learned that I’d never been more wrong in my life. It quickly spiraled out of control. I’ve met a lot of great folks in the hobby. A lot of your friends will follow in your steps and get hooked on the renaissance of pinball because of you too. There are so many unique machines, layouts, and rule sets...you just can’t go wrong with any choice! Welcome aboard!

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from KC_Green:

Pinball culture has been a lot of fun to join. You’re definitely experiencing the variety available. Just be aware that your choice of podcast to listen to is most inflammatory nonsense, so take what he says with a grain of salt. He’s like a Limbaugh or Alex Jones, very hard to listen to due to his endless narcissism.

Now with that warning out of the way, everything else is excellent and the multiple viewpoints are good to have! I’m preferable to DI (Dialed In) but JP is good. And you should definitely start learning basic maintenance. It’s required in this hobby! If you can’t work on your own machines, at least the basics, you’ll be unhappy and disenfranchised rapidly.

Best of luck and welcome to Pinside!

#5 3 years ago

Welcome to the wonderful world of pinball & Pinside.

Choice paralysis does exist - both on Netflix & choosing a pinball machine. Both are good problems to have.

Over analysing is better than rushing into a decision you may regret. These things aren’t cheap, so doing your homework is prudent.

I’d say go out and play as many machines as you can (from all manufacturers), but in this current virus situation this option isn’t (or may not be) available in your area. If you or your family have favourite themes, then that may be a good start and steer you towards a certain machine. Hope that helps. Good luck and have fun choosing your first pin!

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Pinball culture has been a lot of fun to join. You’re definitely experiencing the variety available. Just be aware that your choice of podcast to listen to is most inflammatory nonsense, so take what he says with a grain of salt. He’s like a Limbaugh or Alex Jones, very hard to listen to due to his endless narcissism.
    Now with that warning out of the way, everything else is excellent and the multiple viewpoints are good to have! I’m preferable to DI (Dialed In) but JP is good. And you should definitely start learning basic maintenance. It’s required in this hobby! If you can’t work on your own machines, at least the basics, you’ll be unhappy and disenfranchised rapidly.
    Best of luck and welcome to Pinside!

Thanks for the advice, I-Frost. I am lucky to have an uncle who has a few games and is an electrician I have helped him a bit with his machines in the past. I'm far from an expert, but familiar.
    And I will certainly keep other sites/podcasts in mind. I have also been watching 'Bro, do you even Pinball' and others, such as Cary Hardy. Just trying to shave some words from an already longer post.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from ausretrogamer:

Welcome to the wonderful world of pinball & Pinside.
    Choice paralysis does exist - both on Netflix & choosing a pinball machine. Both are good problems to have.
    Over analysing is better than rushing into a decision you may regret. These things aren’t cheap, so doing your homework is prudent.
    I’d say go out and play as many machines as you can (from all manufacturers), but in this current virus situation this option isn’t (or may not be) available in your area. If you or your family have favourite themes, then that may be a good start and steer you towards a certain machine. Hope that helps. Good luck and have fun choosing your first pin!

Thank you for the welcome aboard. Yes, indeed. I would love to get out and play a bunch of these. That would be prudent. But I'm in too deep and way too impatient to wait another couple months, if this quarantine is extended. I feel like need to pull the trigger on one to get this going, which gives us more to do at the 'compound.'

Totally trying on themes. The family has weighed in. And...they all want something different. Boy wants Jurassic Park (can you blame him?). Daughter wants Dialed-In (pretty sure for the selfies) and wife says The Hobbit ('I want one with a story line'). It has been a bonding debate.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from KC_Green:

Thank you for the welcome aboard. Yes, indeed. I would love to get out and play a bunch of these. That would be prudent. But I'm in too deep and way too impatient to wait another couple months, if this quarantine is extended. I feel like need to pull the trigger on one to get this going, which gives us more to do at the 'compound.'
    Totally trying on themes. The family has weighed in. And...they all want something different. Boy wants Jurassic Park (can you blame him?). Daughter wants Dialed-In (pretty sure for the selfies) and wife says The Hobbit ('I want one with a story line'). It has been a bonding debate.

They are all great games, so you can’t go wrong. If you can buy them all, go for it. If you had to choose one, I’d recommend JP. If you can get two, JP & DI would be my picks.

1 week later
    #9 3 years ago

Quick question. After spending a little more time here, I was wondering if this forum post should have been submitted under 'User's Stories?'

Is there a simple criteria for what is forum vs story?

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from KC_Green:

How do you just pick one? Or even two?

You don't

On a serious note, your budget and any preferences would help you get some responses that are not just "play as many as you can and see what you like" (which is the best advice). What themes matter to you (or do they)? What features do you want in a game? Long playing games? The more you can provide about what has interested you the easier it will be to toss out suggestions.

3 weeks later
    #11 3 years ago

I couldn’t pick just one! A month in and we are still loving them.
    Went with Dialed In LE and Jurassic Park Premium.

Yes. I somehow found a JP Premium NIB during the pandemic. That search, and the introduction to this hobby, is worth its own story...

FC723BA1-FEB9-4787-B389-D3648890A493 (resized).jpegFC723BA1-FEB9-4787-B389-D3648890A493 (resized).jpeg
    #12 3 years ago
    Quoted from KC_Green:wife says The Hobbit ('I want one with a story line').

Quoted from KC_Green:

Went with Dialed In LE and Jurassic Park Premium.

Brave or foolish? -- I never get these decisions right!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buying-first-pinball-deciding-what-to-watch-on-netflix?hl=zmeny and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.