• Latest reply 3 years ago by STxPinball
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20200801-132354 (resized).png
#1 3 years ago

So I originally set my mind on buying JPP's Dialed In LE as my first pin. I sold a watch that I had to fund this mission and when the funds became available I changed my mind and placed an order for a Jurassic Park Premium. I started waffling about it today after watching many hours of live streams and felt like I might want to go back to my original decision and buy Dialed In. It isn't too late to change my mind but I need to decide by Monday. At this moment in time I figure that Dialed In might be smoother flowing and perhaps even more fun to play. Jurassic Park seems to have the edge regarding longevity as it seems to be deeper and more difficult to master over time. I know that these types of topics come about and I am curious to get other's opinions as to which one I should choose. Thoughts or comments would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance fall all input.

#2 3 years ago

Jp all the way. Not even close, my opinion only

#3 3 years ago

Do you have either available to play on location (normally) close by?

I would opt for the Dialed In, personally- as I would never encounter one in the wild up in the intermountain West. And I know I can go play a JP without too much hassle.

Either way, though...you are in for a treat.

#4 3 years ago

It's always fun watching someone rationalize buying their first game and narrowed down to 2. We'll see you next year when you start running out of room in your basement and you've already owned both of the above.

All kidding aside both are great games but as someone who likes the JP movies that would be my pick.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from STxPinball:

So I originally set my mind on buying JPP's Dialed In LE as my first pin. I sold a watch that I had to fund this mission and when the funds became available I changed my mind and placed an order for a Jurassic Park Premium. I started waffling about it today after watching many hours of live streams and felt like I might want to go back to my original decision and buy Dialed In. It isn't too late to change my mind but I need to decide by Monday. At this moment in time I figure that Dialed In might be smoother flowing and perhaps even more fun to play. Jurassic Park seems to have the edge regarding longevity as it seems to be deeper and more difficult to master over time. I know that these types of topics come about and I am curious to get other's opinions as to which one I should choose. Thoughts or comments would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance fall all input.

I think that JP is the far better game. I would certainly recommend trying to play them first, however, and get a feel for what you like the best.
Here is the pinside pinball map for your area:

Screenshot_20200801-132354 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200801-132354 (resized).png
#6 3 years ago

...if I had the chance to get together with HeavyMetalBalls and LovelyCoCoNuts, I would take it.

#7 3 years ago

Do NOT buy any game without playing it first. Spend a little time with both and see what game you like best.

#8 3 years ago

Forget that new shit. Get a TZ and a AFM and have a blast that will last.

#9 3 years ago

Finding either game in S. Texas would be difficult or even impossible. I will call around to see if I can play either game but not sure that I will be able to do so. So, I am more than likely to buy "blindly". From what I have seen and read either game will be fun. As suggested I may end up with both over time but this first purchase is very difficult. It took me a couple of weeks to whittle it down to two choices. JP seems to be much deeper and getting to those deep points in the game seems to be the lure needed to keep me into playing. Dialed In on the other hand looks to be so smooth and playable.

#10 3 years ago

Maybe ask Kevin at Buffalo Pinball?

He owns them both and I think can give you a fair asessment of them as Home pins. No doubt you have watched those guys streming these machines.

Like I said, I know I can play a JP anytime and I actually prefer unlicensed Themes to most Licensed ones. That makes my decision for me on this choice. I really don't think you can go wrong here.

Of course, there is always the option of 3 classics for the price of one sweet new modern machine.

Either way, you are gonna end up getting in deeper than you expect before long. Best of luck.

#11 3 years ago

I feel your pain man. I just got my first pin a little over a week ago. I was agonizing over the exact same scenario. In the end I ended up going with an AFMr SE and I have no regrets. Obviously playing each of them first would absolutely be the best option to see which ones grabs you the most. Since covid19 still has everything locked down around here that has pins I had to pick one without playing first. This is the reason I went with a tried and true classic. I figured with this strategy I could not go wrong. Good luck with your decision... I'm sure you will do just fine and will be having a blast with your first pin in no time.

#12 3 years ago

No matter what pin you get, you’ll have fun. Jurassic Park and Dialed In are both great games and should keep you busy for a while. When you want to move on to another title, you can sell or trade.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:Here is the pinside pinball map for your area:

Looks a couple of public places in Houston and pinsiders in San Antonio and Houston for Dialed In. I would definitely play one first. Dont be afraid to pm a pinsider and ask.

I have played both and they are both good, I personally like the JP theme better and theme might matter more
with one pin (of course, that won't last long )

#14 3 years ago

JP, it's not even a competition here!
You made the right call

#15 3 years ago

No doubt, JP3 for the win! This machine will keep you coming back for more & is ideal in a home environment. Nothing wrong w/ DI or any other Jersey Jack title, but JP3 is pinball perfection.

Once you become involved in this hobby there's no turning back. I highly suggest downloading several virtual pin sites (Pinball Arcade, Future Pinball, etc.) in order to have an idea to what you might prefer. You will eventually have the full blown pinball virus, which will dictate your daily though process > I must buy, play & think pinball. When you start literally dreaming of pinball, then you know you're a mess!

I wish you well in your pursuit of the perfect machine >>> Good Luck!

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from STxPinball:

Finding either game in S. Texas would be difficult or even impossible. I will call around to see if I can play either game but not sure that I will be able to do so. So, I am more than likely to buy "blindly". From what I have seen and read either game will be fun. As suggested I may end up with both over time but this first purchase is very difficult. It took me a couple of weeks to whittle it down to two choices. JP seems to be much deeper and getting to those deep points in the game seems to be the lure needed to keep me into playing. Dialed In on the other hand looks to be so smooth and playable.

It truly is personal preference. Watch youtube videos if you can't play locally.
My personal perspective is DI has a dreadful theme. The call outs also grate on me. Game play itself is fun but I find that if you can't relate to the theme you'll find yourself not wanting to play it either.
JP - haven't played it. Again theme for me is a thing and I'm not really into dinosaurs. However if I was I'd be worried about all the Stern play field issues. That game also has really thin clear.

Ya know, I think the previous comment about finding a time proven classic might be a better move especially since you're just getting started.
Anyway pinball is awesome.

#17 3 years ago

First one is always special.

Even more special is when you buy good ones you don't get tired of looking at that stay.

#18 3 years ago

Didn’t love my JP Premium. Didn’t hate it either, but it left after a few months. Dialed In has been here two years and counting.

(I’m in the minority so take that with a grain of salt.)

#19 3 years ago

Lovin' my JP Prem. Had DI for about 6 months and sent it packing. Tried to love it and love Lawlor games, but just couldn't get into it...

#20 3 years ago

Pro tip. If you buy one second hand you can usually enjoy ut for however long and sell it down the road for about the same money.

I try not to overthink these things because it's not like a marriage. Can always sell/trade for a different one once you're tired of it.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I try not to overthink these things because it's not like a marriage.

Although I know some dudes that have kicked their wives to the curb like any pinball machine that is old and beat and they were tired of, it is usually cheaper, and the pinball machine doesn't end up back on the doorstep crying.

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Didn’t love my JP Premium. Didn’t hate it either, but it left after a few months. Dialed In has been here two years and counting.
(I’m in the minority so take that with a grain of salt.)

Yep , I’m happy to be in the minority as well . JP is a good game and I’m sure The OP will be happy with it. But for me , I prefer dialed in .

#23 3 years ago

Whichever you pick, it doesn't matter. Both Dialed In and JP are good games, so you really can't make a mistake here. But of course, it is always better to get some play on a game before buying.

#24 3 years ago

I have both games jp pro though,the games are so different and both great Fun-but for a first game a small collection ect I think you may have more fun with the jp.

#25 3 years ago

We need a picture of your Ferrari & infinity pool for this thread to continue.

#26 3 years ago

Thanks everyone for the input. This post was well worth it and now I am leaning back over to JP. It seems that it is not as smooth as butter as DI. I believe that I will keep going bak to play because it sounds like there is so much more to keep my interest up. Both games sound like they keep you coming back but I think I'll not change my order and keep with Jurassic Park.

#27 3 years ago

I would change the order to Oktoberfest!

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from STxPinball:

Thanks everyone for the input. This post was well worth it and now I am leaning back over to JP. It seems that not as smooth as butter as DI I believe that I will keep going bak to play because it sounds like there is so much more to keep my interest up. Both games sound like they keep you coming back but I think I'll not change my order and keep with Jurassic Park.

Not sure what you mean by so much more with jp but both pins are plenty deep with lots of shots and things going on. Code wise doubtful you will ever see half of what they have to offer unless u are top player and or set them up super super easy. Both have 3 flippers with lots of good shots . I think di definitely has the much better tech/mechs and neat stuff like the theater that does lots of different things , all rgb lighting except gi but has beautifully awesome light shows, 2 playfield lcds and the big 27 in in backbox that are all well done, 5 magnets that do some neat tricks and really mess with the ball during mb. It has much more and shoots so so well. JP is a good player with nice deep code also and the t tex that is fun . Lighting is nothing special and lcd is just ok and pretty basic. JP has many tough shots that play well with the rules which is where it stands out. I've had di for years and its still a favorite and have yet to come close to seeing everything. I've played jp and was gonna get one eventually but I just haven't fell in love with it enough and may get a tmnt instead. Any choice u make will b a good one and u won't stop.at just one so u might as well get both lol. I will say you sld definitely play before u pay as I purchased a few pins before playing and learned the hard way lol. Also you can buy a nice used huo and have a pin thats got the bugs worked out and dialed in plus save some money also.

#29 3 years ago

Thanks for the detailed comparison of the games. You're right I just assumed that JP was deeper but it's great to hear the DI is right up there with it. I definitely like the look for the playfield and great light show by DI. I wish I could stop waffling around and make up my mind. This is a tough decision.

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from STxPinball:

Thanks for the detailed comparison of the games. You're right I just assumed that JP was deeper but it's great to hear the DI is right up there with it. I definitely like the look for the playfield and great light show by DI. I wish I could stop waffling around and make up my mind. This is a tough decision.

Both are very, very good. You won't be disappointed with either. Getting play time on them will show you a clear winner, however. I'm sure you could reach out to some pinsiders in your area to play them if there are none in nearby locations.

If you play both and are truly 50/50 on it afterwards, you could base it on price, availability, and theme. You could also always get one, and then sell it to get the other down the road...or you could just do what most other pinsiders do and get both! Lol

#31 3 years ago

I’d try to find a used DI-LE. I can’t give a full comparison as I own DI but have only limited time on JP3 but I think enough people have chimed in to make it clear.. we are all different and have preferences for certain titles, for whatever reasons we have. DI is tough (for me) — to finish all the disasters and collect the sim letters Is a bitch and I’ve never got that close, which is what keeps me coming back for more.. plus awesome lights,sounds,modes, and programming. It’s quirky fun.

As others have said, it’s not that difficult to sell one or maybe trade if you don’t love it.. and if you buy used you won’t take a hit doing so. Take a little road trip.. I drove many hundreds of miles to pick mine up — good weekend fun.

#32 3 years ago

I watched a couple of guys on a live stream playing JP and they both played very well. I got to see the fun side of the game when things go right. I was waflfling up until this evening. My mind is made up. Jurassic Park it is.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

5,640 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
$ 10,899.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Machine - For Sale
Salida, CA
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 19.50
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 16.00
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Aldie, VA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buying-first-pin-and-loving-it and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.