(Topic ID: 337641)

Buying First Pin: 007 vs. GZ vs. JP vs. Deadpool vs. TNMT (all Pro's)

By Centrik

9 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 152 posts
  • 68 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 21 days ago by SimpleSam
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Recommended Stern Pin?”

• 007 Pro 17 votes
    7%
  • Godzilla Pro 98 votes
    40%
  • Jurassic Park Pro 38 votes
    16%
  • Deadpool Pro 79 votes
    33%
  • TNMT Pro 11 votes
    5%

(243 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2023-06-05t14-05-52 (resized).png

There are 152 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 9 months ago
Quoted from Centrik:

I was, except I thought less chance of issues with new machines however I realize all pinballs require maintenance etc.

You will likely have much less trouble with a brand new machine than an old one.

#52 9 months ago
Quoted from Centrik:

I was, except I thought less chance of issues with new machines however I realize all pinballs require maintenance etc.

NIB games can have just as much, if not more trouble than older games. If you get one that's been maintained by a collector, chances are that it'll hold up just as well as a NIB. Food for thought.

#53 9 months ago
Quoted from Centrik:

You're on the right path. The sweetspot for deep, fun, reliable games for a good value is Stern Pro games. Older games at the current price points aren't really worth it any more imo. My lineup used to be full of 80's SYS 11 and 90's WPC pins but that's back when you could get them for $1-$2k, now they are triple or more.

#54 9 months ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

NIB games can have just as much, if not more trouble than older games. If you get one that's been maintained by a collector, chances are that it'll hold up just as well as a NIB. Food for thought.

I'm gonna disagree there.

#55 9 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah, me too. You hear it All the time but it’s nonsense.

Unless a 20-30 year old game has had literally every mechanical and electronic part replaced (in which case it will likely cost more than a new stern pro anyway) it’s not going to be more or as reliable than a brand new stern pro.

#56 9 months ago

A month ago we picked up a new game
While at the distributors, my son (who is not a pinball guy) played 007, and found it meh
we took home a Godzilla and even after 2 weeks I still cannot get the grin of his face

#57 9 months ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

A month ago we picked up a new game
While at the distributors, my son (who is not a pinball guy) played 007, and found it meh
we took home a Godzilla and even after 2 weeks I still cannot get the grin of his face

I'd love to buy GZ and Deadpool hah!

#58 9 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah, me too. You hear it All the time but it’s nonsense.
Unless a 20-30 year old game has had literally every mechanical and electronic part replaced (in which case it will likely cost more than a new stern pro anyway) it’s not going to be more or as reliable than a brand new stern pro.

Agree to disagree, I suppose. Like I said, if you get a game from a collector that would have already gone through it, i would argue it'll hold up just as well as any NIB game.

#59 9 months ago

As others have said, try to spend some time playing all of the games you're looking at. Make sure you play the Pro versions of those games, because some of them play differently than the premium. I don't know if I'd buy a Godzilla Pro because the Premium does play a bit differently and I'm not a fan of the differences. On the other hand, I prefer Iron Maiden Pro to the Premium version of the game, so it's not like Premium is always better. I don't recall the differences between Deadpool Pro and Premium, but I don' t think they're big. Anyway, point is, play the Pro model of all of them and that'll help you make a choice.

For what it's worth, of your options I'd probably look at Deadpool Pro and Bond Pro (I like it more than most here, though I haven't played it a ton). TMNT is not my cup of tea.

#60 9 months ago

I own Deadpool, Godzilla, and Jurassic Park. I'd do Deadpool over the others. Looks and plays the best of all and the most fun in my opinion.

#61 9 months ago

In order of best pins (imo):
1. Deadpool
2. TMNT
3. Jurassic Park
4. Godzilla
5. 007

The most enjoyable first pin(s)?
- Deadpool (clear winner - there really is no debate here)
- Godzilla

Now, deciding what you should buy as a "first" pin is highly subjective! I will say this for what it is worth; TMNT was my FIRST pin and it kicked my ass, but ever since then, every other Stern is easier to me. Now I play TMNT quite well and the game really unlocks. Maybe it was the ex-college athlete in me, but if it's not hard, it's not worth doing. TMNT will build your endurance, that's for sure! Depending on your age, the theme was top 5 for me. It has all the charm of the late 80s cartoon.

#62 9 months ago

Deadpool for a first pin, and it is not even close.

Anyone who suggests a pin that is in their current collection, and I am IMMEDIATELY incredulous on their opinion.

#63 9 months ago

My favourite game on the list is JP but it still kicks my butt almost every time I play it which would be super frustrating for a newer player.

Therefore my vote goes for the easiest (imo) game, both to understand the rules and shots, Deadpool.

#64 9 months ago

If I could put myself if your position wanting a first PRO pin for home use I’d want it to be/have:
1) “fun” to play- ie shots you can make and positive feedback
2) reliable (less mechs to break),
3) deeper code (so don’t get tired of it)
4) theme that resonates with me (it matters, it’s in your home with your family and especially earlier on it may just make it more attractive for you to want to play)
5) buy from a good local distributor. They will support you if you run into issues and you may not know what pitfalls to avoid in buying a used game.

I agree with the others that if you can, go to someplace that has your top three games if possible and bring $8 (weird I know).
Play “3 games for $2” on all three games. Where do you want to spend your last $2? That’s the game you want to buy. Simple

I’ve gotten to play all of these several times so if you were a neighbor asking…..

I’d avoid TMNT. Fun theme and deep but shots are brutal and ball times super short. Our local tournament uses it to keep times down. Avoid, avoid, avoid.

I actually love Bond. My favorite game for months - no contest. Love theming, combination of shots - precision and flow, excitement for code updates (it’s finally getting much closer to complete). That said I’m not sure it would be my first/only home pin - can be frustrating if it’s in a bad mood (yes, my son and I think it’s moody now and ask each other if she’s mean today )

My new to pinball list would be:
1a) Deadpool (pro and premium are really similar) - is theming ok for your house/family?
1b) Godzilla (not my fav but everybody loves and lots of positive reinforcement, good shots, less mechs to break in the pro)
1c) Jurassic Park (love this one, great shots, fun theme, just challenging enough to keep trying for next goal - I do like prem better for this one)

May also consider if your local dealer had someone trade in a gently used Premium in JP or Godzilla. Sometimes still have transferable warranty.

My personal list for Myself is (James Bond, Jurrasic Park (prem pref), Deadpool pro, Godzilla, …..no TMNT)

Hope this helps and welcome to pinball. Gets addictive quick.

#65 9 months ago

I've played all of them extensively in league and currently own a Bond.

Bond - In 6 months, maybe, but currently the code is very immature. It shoots great, but I'm not recommending it until they finish the code.

TMNT - Nope, Nope, Nope.

JP - Phenomenal theme integration and a ton of fun to shoot. I voted for JP.

Deadpool - Great call outs and a lot of fun. Right up there with JP, but I just have more fun with JP.

Godzilla - Another great game by Keith Elwin, but this is the one instance where I would go with the Premium over the pro.

Just my half assed opinion.

#66 9 months ago

One of the more respectful newbie posts: Well Done.

Play Deadpool and Godzilla first - buy the one you like better.

JP/TMNT - too hard for newbies.
007 - the other titles are just plain better.

#67 9 months ago

I think JP is the best overall pin out of that group, but the best pro model is Deadpool. The others are just missing mechs that are too intragal to the game play that will fill you with regret if purchased!

#68 9 months ago

Godzilla and deadpool are the easiest choices here. I voted for deadpool because the pro is missing a lot less features than the pro godzilla. Bond stinks, TMNT stinks, Jurrassic is cool but its sad without the interactive T-rex on the pro.

#69 9 months ago

DP pro over Godzilla pro. Go premium for Godzilla.

#70 9 months ago

I've played them all, but haven't owned any of them. Here are my 2 cents:

I agree with the deadpool being a very good first game, for the shot factor and general approachability. You didn't list it, but I would also say that Foo Fighters has a lot of similarities to it that also makes it good for a first pin. Just throwing it out there because when my wife and I were looking for our first NIB, FF wasn't on the list and we thought we were going to go with Deadpool, but the arcade we go to just got the FF pro, and FF ended up being the one we bought.

IMO Godzilla is great for learning complicated rulesets and how to balance risk-reward for points. (I know other people have an easier time of understanding this game than me, but I've always found it a bit confusing, but that's not a bad thing). Premium IS better, but pro is really fun too.

JP/TMNT: Jurassic Park is brutal but well liked. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is brutal but not well liked. Personally, I think the hatred of TMNT is overblown. If you don't mind a game that kicks your butt, you might be able to find a pretty good used deal there, but if you'd get frustrated by short ball times, maybe not.

007: This game is really hard for me to judge. I missed out on the early code sh*t storm that it seemed to go through. Since I only played it on location after it was a bit further developed, I never felt the limits of it, but I trust the home owners who say that it needs some work. I liked it well enough, though

#71 9 months ago

I was in a similar boat recently.

I ended up buying a GZ Premium. You won't get fired buying IBM and it's a great no brainer first pin.

Then I picked up a JP Premium. And I realize it's newer and isn't the game I played 500 times over the last 2.5 months. But sometimes you can just tell and I'm shocked by how much I prefer playing it over GZ. Both are obviously great games but I didn't expect this reaction.

I don't find JP as brutal as most say. The shots are tight but I don't feel like it's a drain monster. It gives me a very zen 'I missed a shot...so what...I'll just try again next time ' vibe that GZ doesn't. Maybe because you're still in a Paddock after you drain...

I would remove TMNT and Bond from your list but throw a blanket over the others because I'm not sure you can go wrong with those three. I hope to pickup a Deadpool Premium this fall so my money is where my mouth is.

Having said that for most people I would vote (in order):

GZ, DP, JP.

I'm not convinced Bond will ever be fixed. I bet the license holder eventually wears Stern down.

#72 9 months ago

My wife and I started a collection last year. Godzilla pro was the first one. And love it and play it a lot. We have a few more pro machines now and play games on location a lot. I would say get a Godzilla or Jurassic Park. Whichever you can get sooner!

#73 9 months ago
Quoted from AMartin56:

I was in a similar boat recently.
I ended up buying a GZ Premium. You won't get fired buying IBM and it's a great no brainer first pin.
Then I picked up a JP Premium. And I realize it's newer and isn't the game I played 500 times over the last 2.5 months. But sometimes you can just tell and I'm shocked by how much I prefer playing it over GZ. Both are obviously great games but I didn't expect this reaction.
I don't find JP as brutal as most say. The shots are tight but I don't feel like it's a drain monster. It gives me a very zen 'I missed a shot...so what...I'll just try again next time ' vibe that GZ doesn't. Maybe because you're still in a Paddock after you drain...
I would remove TMNT and Bond from your list but throw a blanket over the others because I'm not sure you can go wrong with those three. I hope to pickup a Deadpool Premium this fall so my money is where my mouth is.
Having said that for most people I would vote (in order):
GZ, DP, JP.
I'm not convinced Bond will ever be fixed. I bet the license holder eventually wears Stern down.

Agreed, I am leaning that way as well. Appreciate it!

#74 9 months ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Godzilla and deadpool are the easiest choices here. I voted for deadpool because the pro is missing a lot less features than the pro godzilla. Bond stinks, TMNT stinks, Jurrassic is cool but its sad without the interactive T-rex on the pro.

I noticed that as well when comparing the Stern Features Matrix across pro's....lots of homework....

#75 9 months ago
Quoted from Centrik:

I noticed that as well when comparing the Stern Features Matrix across pro's....lots of homework....

If you go back farther in time I think it's safe to say that Stern designed a Pro then added things to make a Premium. More recent games seem designed to be a Premium then things are removed to make a Pro. It's a subtle but noticeable distinction. So the gap is really narrow on a DP or IM....still fairly narrow on a JP....then a wide chasm on a GZ with three major mechs added...

Having said that Any GZ is better than no GZ. The Pro is still fun, but I miss the Mechagodzilla spinner the most...then the building diverter...and lastly the bridge .

#76 9 months ago
Quoted from AMartin56:

If you go back farther in time I think it's safe to say that Stern designed a Pro then added things to make a Premium. More recent games seem designed to be a Premium then things are removed to make a Pro. It's a subtle but noticeable distinction. So the gap is really narrow on a DP or IM....still fairly narrow on a JP....then a wide chasm on a GZ with three major mechs added...
Having said that Any GZ is better than no GZ. The Pro is still fun, but I miss the Mechagodzilla spinner the most...then the building diverter...and lastly the bridge .

there were only really 2 IM....a home edition with no coin mechs or the standard, much like Dark Knight and the weird costco version

#77 9 months ago

DP
Godzilla
JP
SW

Any of these would be my advice.

#78 9 months ago

Most of the sterns from the past 3-4 years are good games. The biggest thing going into buying your first pin is that it feels like you really need to make the right decision, but the truth is you wont be married to whatever you decide. Its not like a car where if you buy a new one you take a massive hit when you sell it, and most times you can just outright trade with people looking for the game you have and basically lose no money at all. Don't stress too much over the decision.

That said - out of the games you listed.

If you are getting a pro - IMO Deadpool is the best pro of the ones you listed. It is great for new players becuase the rules are straightforward, you can make progress on it your first few plays.

Jurassic Park is awesome, and a great theme. Code is deep but I think it would be a hard first pin to understand out of the gate. I have the premium now.

Godzilla is a lot of fun and I had the pro for a while and I sold it because like some others have said the premium really is better enough to justify the price bump

I had TMNT - its really a brutal game....the theme doesnt fit the difficulty so dont be fooled by the cartoon theme

Bond- havent owned it or played it a lot but I did play the premium recently and feel like its better than it gets credit for. It had pretty shallow code on release and got trashed for it but its come a long way since then. Havent played the pro though.

dont get a band pin unless you like the band. The songs over and over again will wear on you if you dont like their music even if other people say differently. My personal opinion is if its a band where you turn up the radio if their music is on then you might like their pinball machine.....otherwise they are fun to play on location where the music isnt so front and center.

DEADPOOL is the way to go -

#79 9 months ago
Quoted from Joshhardy23:

Most of the sterns from the past 3-4 years are good games. The biggest thing going into buying your first pin is that it feels like you really need to make the right decision, but the truth is you wont be married to whatever you decide. Its not like a car where if you buy a new one you take a massive hit when you sell it, and most times you can just outright trade with people looking for the game you have and basically lose no money at all. Don't stress too much over the decision.
That said - out of the games you listed.
If you are getting a pro - IMO Deadpool is the best pro of the ones you listed. It is great for new players becuase the rules are straightforward, you can make progress on it your first few plays.
Jurassic Park is awesome, and a great theme. Code is deep but I think it would be a hard first pin to understand out of the gate. I have the premium now.
Godzilla is a lot of fun and I had the pro for a while and I sold it because like some others have said the premium really is better enough to justify the price bump
I had TMNT - its really a brutal game....the theme doesnt fit the difficulty so dont be fooled by the cartoon theme
Bond- havent owned it or played it a lot but I did play the premium recently and feel like its better than it gets credit for. It had pretty shallow code on release and got trashed for it but its come a long way since then. Havent played the pro though.
dont get a band pin unless you like the band. The songs over and over again will wear on you if you dont like their music even if other people say differently. My personal opinion is if its a band where you turn up the radio if their music is on then you might like their pinball machine.....otherwise they are fun to play on location where the music isnt so front and center.
DEADPOOL is the way to go -

Exactly, RE: the band themes, that was my main concern as well...not to ding the play and creative fortitude those pins have, its just not for me. I feel I could only hand oh so many Foo Fighter or IM songs. Realize you could just turn the volume down (perhaps?), but that then defeats the whole purpose of a band themed pin to some extent. So agree with you on DP and the other points. Thanks!

#80 9 months ago
Quoted from Centrik:

Exactly, RE: the band themes, that was my main concern as well...not to ding the play and creative fortitude those pins have, its just not for me. I feel I could only hand oh so many Foo Fighter or IM songs. Realize you could just turn the volume down (perhaps?), but that then defeats the whole purpose of a band themed pin to some extent. So agree with you on DP and the other points. Thanks!

That's fair. Repeating songs never bothered me (probably a side effect of me playing a few instruments while growing up, repeating stuff is how you practice), but if it'd start getting on your nerves, keep to playing them at locations. If anything puts you off of playing a home machine, it'll probably disappoint you, despite how well received the machine may be.

I don't think you'll go wrong with Deadpool!

#81 9 months ago
Quoted from Centrik:

...Realize you could just turn the volume down (perhaps?), but that then defeats the whole purpose of a band themed pin to some extent...

You can turn the music down but leave all the other sounds up. The purpose of the pinball machine is to be a pinball machine; not a jukebox. This is why most of them have animations and themes and not just shitty concert footage.

#82 9 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

You can turn the music down but leave all the other sounds up. The purpose of the pinball machine is to be a pinball machine; not a jukebox. This is why most of them have animations and themes and not just shitty concert footage.

Makes sense to me.

#83 9 months ago

I’d strongly recommend playing pins (a lot) before buying them.

I’m lucky enough to live within cycling distance of Electrocoin (the UK distributor’s) unofficial showroom. I went down there to play JP2 about 18 months ago, shortly after getting into pinball, saw the first Godzilla Pro to be flown to the UK, played that 40 times over a couple of weeks - bought Godzilla Prem.

Now have a deposit down on JP2 Prem, which I love.

I don’t rate Deadpool at all, and I have played it loads of times, both in tournament and casually, at two different venues. It’s okay, but it isn’t a particularly unique layout and it feels shallow. But, critically, that’s just my opinion - you need to form an opinion yourself. I happen to like difficult pins.

TMNT is difficult to get the shots dialled in, but - if you like the theme and harder pins - it could be a winner.

#84 9 months ago

Quick followup, I tried Deadpool Pro, I did enjoy it but I found the playfield rather bare? Or is it just me? Anyway, what are everyone's thoughts on Mandolorian vs. Avengers Infinity Quest?

#85 9 months ago
Quoted from Centrik:

Mandolorian vs. Avengers Infinity Quest?

These are 2 of my least favorites.

Everyone has different opinions, but I don’t care for Mando a bit. I’d consider AIQ it’s decent but way way way lower than JP or Godzilla to me.

#86 9 months ago

I'm not voting in the poll because you really haven't told us what's important to you in a machine. And who is playing it and where in your house is it going? Really, unless you know exactly what you want out of a machine, if you're spending 7 grand and putting it in your den, theme is probably your biggest decision point. You are going to be looking at and listening to this giant beauty 24/7 and you better get excited by the images on the backglass even when it's off. All these games are going to be loads of fun to play and get your pinball thrills on, but I'd choose the one that you love looking at from across the room. Maybe down the line in a year or two you might decide gameplay is what's important to you and there's a special style or designer whose work you really like and at that point you'll trade yours for something else.

I'm fairly new to pinball too and have built, bought, and sold 5 machines to figure out what I really like. Started Covid by building a virtual pinball, then time warp (sold), the getaway (sold), godzilla pro(traded for)... star wars premium. I wouldn't trade my SW for anything right now, but its gameplay isn't better than Deadpool, Godzilla, or JP. It's really just that SW is a dream theme for me personally. So if you have a dream theme, and there's a decent modern pinball out there for it, buy that one first.

All that said, on gameplay I'd rank your list...
DP
JP
GZ

(not a fan of either Bond or TMNT, but haven't played them much)

DP is a fantasticly fun and approachable first machine. The art, however, is not my cup of tea.
JP is a slightly more traditional design and a little harder but very fun too. The theme and art are just OK.
GZ pro I've owned and loved, but after three months got just a touch tired of; too many multiballs. It's the most beautiful of the three and the easiest.

My family preferred godzilla to star wars, but I much prefer the theme, music and challenge of SW. And since I'm the one doing 99 percent of the playing I said fuck em, and got the pin I wanted most.

#87 9 months ago
Quoted from clearstar:

In order of best pins (imo):
1. Deadpool
2. TMNT
3. Jurassic Park
4. Godzilla
5. 007
The most enjoyable first pin(s)?
- Deadpool (clear winner - there really is no debate here)
- Godzilla
Now, deciding what you should buy as a "first" pin is highly subjective! I will say this for what it is worth; TMNT was my FIRST pin and it kicked my ass, but ever since then, every other Stern is easier to me. Now I play TMNT quite well and the game really unlocks. Maybe it was the ex-college athlete in me, but if it's not hard, it's not worth doing. TMNT will build your endurance, that's for sure! Depending on your age, the theme was top 5 for me. It has all the charm of the late 80s cartoon.

This guy gets it. And while TMNT is an ass kicker game; one thing that gets overlooked is it does offer co-op, 3v1, 2v2, and more specialty modes which can be appealing to a first pin owner who wants to play as a team with family and friends. Plus it has the most diversity than the others. That said, I still give the edge to DP PRO with TMNT a close 2nd.

#88 9 months ago
Quoted from JakeFAttie:

And since I'm the one doing 99 percent of the playing I said fuck em, and got the pin I wanted most.

This is so true! While I wish my wife & son would play more, it’s usually me…..that’s why you should get what you like. Play them all as much as you can, it’s pinball & it’s fun there’s no wrong decision!

#89 9 months ago
Quoted from Centrik:

Quick followup, I tried Deadpool Pro, I did enjoy it but I found the playfield rather bare? Or is it just me? Anyway, what are everyone's thoughts on Mandolorian vs. Avengers Infinity Quest?

most stern pros are pretty "bare" as you put it. DP has more going on than Mando for sure. AIQ is fun I owned it for a while.

Really just play what you can on location and get what you like best.

No one can really tell you what will be your favorite.

#90 9 months ago
Quoted from Centrik:

Very normal to find a game doesn’t click with you. Keep playing and see what you like!

#91 9 months ago
Quoted from JakeFAttie:

I'm not voting in the poll because you really haven't told us what's important to you in a machine. And who is playing it and where in your house is it going? Really, unless you know exactly what you want out of a machine, if you're spending 7 grand and putting it in your den, theme is probably your biggest decision point. You are going to be looking at and listening to this giant beauty 24/7 and you better get excited by the images on the backglass even when it's off. All these games are going to be loads of fun to play and get your pinball thrills on, but I'd choose the one that you love looking at from across the room. Maybe down the line in a year or two you might decide gameplay is what's important to you and there's a special style or designer whose work you really like and at that point you'll trade yours for something else.
I'm fairly new to pinball too and have built, bought, and sold 5 machines to figure out what I really like. Started Covid by building a virtual pinball, then time warp (sold), the getaway (sold), godzilla pro(traded for)... star wars premium. I wouldn't trade my SW for anything right now, but its gameplay isn't better than Deadpool, Godzilla, or JP. It's really just that SW is a dream theme for me personally. So if you have a dream theme, and there's a decent modern pinball out there for it, buy that one first.
All that said, on gameplay I'd rank your list...
DP
JP
GZ
(not a fan of either Bond or TMNT, but haven't played them much)
DP is a fantasticly fun and approachable first machine. The art, however, is not my cup of tea.
JP is a slightly more traditional design and a little harder but very fun too. The theme and art are just OK.
GZ pro I've owned and loved, but after three months got just a touch tired of; too many multiballs. It's the most beautiful of the three and the easiest.
My family preferred godzilla to star wars, but I much prefer the theme, music and challenge of SW. And since I'm the one doing 99 percent of the playing I said fuck em, and got the pin I wanted most.

I laughed at the last line…what I’m looking for in a pinball is a complex playing field (lots going on and variety) so that shots vary and gameplay doesn’t become monotonous. I played DP and it seemed bare bones on the field. Perhaps the “fun” or what makes yo for this are the mini games? No love on AIQ? Thanks again!

#92 9 months ago

Had an AIQ LE on a temporary trade, and there is a Mando LE in the company office right now although I don't have a ton of time on it. AIQ is made by Keith Elwin... same guy who made Jurassic Park, Godzilla, and Iron Maiden. AIQ is an extremely deep game, too deep for many. You can get one used at a pretty decent discount today. It's hard to tell what the issue is with AIQ. It is almost universally perceived as the lowest rated Keith Elwin game (although still decent). The art is fantastic (aside from what's on screen) and the layout is super neat but... it just lacks "soul". It is very hard to describe. The music is not very exciting and there is a ton to build for, but there are just no moments other than the hurry up to hit the hulk spinner of all things. You could get a used premium for about the price of a new pro here.

As to Mando. It's a good game, but not as good as the earlier ones on the list. It has more "soul" than AIQ, but the layout is kind of wonky, and the shot up the center is very easy and repeatable. People were scratching their heads on the mini playfield as the helmet when it first came out. Its a bit on the easier side as well. The guy who made it, Eddy had created what are arguable the best pinball games, especially in the pre LCD era with Attack From Mars and Medieval Madness. Both are at Mom's in college park (check it out). People were expecting more from Eddy.

Overall these are both good games, but as far as what you have mentioned:

JP, Godzilla, Deadpool

AIQ

Mando

Turtles

#93 9 months ago
Quoted from Centrik:

I laughed at the last line…what I’m looking for in a pinball is a complex playing field (lots going on and variety) so that shots vary and gameplay doesn’t become monotonous. I played DP and it seemed bare bones on the field. Perhaps the “fun” or what makes yo for this are the mini games? No love on AIQ? Thanks again!

In my opinion AIQ has a great layout and is fun to shoot but pretty much fails in everything else. Art is Zombie Yeti's worst. Audio and animations are average at best. And the rules are probably fully understood by the world class player coder that wrote them and nobody else. If you buy one you'd better get it cheap (look at current used prices vs other pins) and bolt it to the floor since otherwise you're likely to sell it at a loss. Not that ANY pin should be bought as an investment but sheesh.

If you are looking for more shot complexity than DP but still want a ruleset that mere mortals can understand the choice is easy... Jurassic Park. I'm actually starting to like the LAYOUT better than Godzilla (Gasp!).

#94 9 months ago
Quoted from Centrik:

Both of those games stink and Deadpool blows them out of the water. Yes deadpools playfield doesn't have a ton going on, it doesn't matter. If you want a game with a ton of stuff going on on the playfield get a bally/williams

#95 9 months ago

DP is great game but has only 2 flippers and 2 ramps (but 3 path possibilities to hit the 2 ramps with the Snikt target). If you want more sizzle to the layout look at JP with 3 flippers and 4 ramps.

I think DP is outstanding for a first pin because it's easy enough rules but not easy to beat. JP is more complex and deeper than DP.

#96 9 months ago

Hmm... if you don't like Deadpool sounds like it's JP or GZ for you.... can't go wrong with either.

#97 9 months ago
Quoted from Centrik:

If you think DP is bare I don't know what you would say about a LZ pro.

I don't think DP is bare myself but based on this info I think you need to consider putting JP on top of your list. Sure it's more challenging than DP but not impossibly so, there more shots to make and for me, it feels like there is more to do from a mission standpoint. I have both and JP gets the nod from a gameplay standpoint whenever I have get-togethers.

#98 9 months ago

I have JP and GZ. My buddy has the other 3 which I have played a bunch. I like them all so, you really cant go wrong here. I will say the versions I am playing are premiums/LEs which may matter compared to pros. If I had to pick a winner, it would be JP. However, it is hard and not forgiving for missed shots. I prefer some games that are ass kickers in a collection. JP fits that bill. You have to decide what game fits your likes better. I think people get to caught up in toys on a playfield. A game, does not need a toys all over it to be good. Look at AFM for example, it is a time tested classic with little toys.

#99 9 months ago

With things potentially leaning towards JP I feel like I should add that I really think all the talk of it being inaccessible to newbies is overblown.

I was afraid my girlfriend wouldn't want to play it at all (Her favorite games are Stranger Things, Monster Bash and...of all things...Laser Cue) but she actually likes it. A very easy initial T Rex multiball gives hackers something to do that's exciting and while the shots are tight it doesn't really seem to be a drain monster. It can get a bit confusing when modes stack and you're in a Paddock but the (admittedly a bit difficult) Escape from Nublar mode can help people understand how Paddocks mostly work without interruption.

The Pro is a decent machine and should be readily available after being built later this year. Premiums are available NIB now. And if you can stretch your budget I really think the Premium has a lot more wow factor and better cabinet art.

#100 9 months ago

Deadpool's playfield is great, everything has a just-interesting-enough element to it, that's what separates it from Zeppelin and Star Wars. The lock ramp and Snikt shot are the second-coolest ramp in pinball behind Captain Marvel. (It's much better in a home environment where you can keep it clean and fast and flipper alignment adjusted to make those shots reliable.) The U-turn shot is better than Star Wars', the spinner is nicely different from JP and GZ in giving a clean return to the flipper, and the drop target area is cool to bang on, also better than SW and Zep. And I'm a sucker for backhandable ramps like the left one on Deadpool and Foo Fighters.

If whot you want is a complex playfield, 007 could be your jam, although you'll have to put up with the incomplete who-knows-whenever-the-hell-it'll-actually-be-finished code. Foo Fighters is also a contender, it's got AIQ's flowability with a much better audio vibe and approachable rule set.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 22.50
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 64.99
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
Led
€ 178.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop
Backbox
$ 175.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball
Decorations
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
HurryUpPinball
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toppers
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com
Decals
6,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Terre Haute, IN
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts
Toys/Add-ons
€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Jacksonville, FL
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 119.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation
Shooter rods
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 49.99
There are 152 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buying-first-pin-007-vs-gz-vs-jp-vs-deadpool-vs-tnmt-all-pro-s/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.