• Wait for Sterns next offering - Avengers Pro? 11 votes
    16%
  • Buy an older pin - IJ 93', tSPP, etc. 36 votes
    52%

(69 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 12 years ago

Hi all

Contemplating buying my first NIB!

This pin will go on location shortly after spending some time @ home. I'm having trouble deciding what to purchase. Current line up is WH2O, MM and TZ. This pin will replace one of these, unless I can convince the location to let me add more pins.

There are a few TRON's left. Lot's of AC/DC. Transformers is a non-starter for me. LE's, WoZ, and the recently announced Zombie Adventure land are off the table (too pricey).

So, what do you all think? Opinions welcome.

Thanks in advance!

#2 12 years ago

I would say AC/DC. It all depends on the location that it would be going. Here's my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

Bar - AC/DC - Adult crowd

Bowling alley, or similar place - Tron - Kids would like this more, as I doubt they would know who AC/DC is.

#3 12 years ago

Wow, no love for TRON? I was actually hoping it would win!

Looks like an older B/W or Stern may be on deck. Though if Avengers is announced ....

#4 12 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

Hi all
This pin will go on location shortly after spending some time @ home. I'm having trouble deciding what to purchase. Current line up is WH2O, MM and TZ. This pin will replace one of these, unless I can convince the location to let me add more pins.
There are a few TRON's left. Lot's of AC/DC. Transformers is a non-starter for me. LE's, WoZ, and the recently announced Zombie Adventure land are off the table (too pricey).
Thanks in advance!

I think MM and Tron compliment each other very well. I play them both a lot and the gameplay is completely different. Love it.

#5 12 years ago

if Avengers is the next one for stern i think it would do great in a movie theatre, ac/dc would make $ in a bar you'd think too.

#6 12 years ago

I would go with the Tron Pro and then add some fiber optic or EL wire mods to it. On location it will have less stuff to break down and it will have that wow factor of the lighted ramps. A fast game like Tron or even a Iron Man would be good in that line up. Post of a modded Tron Pro http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-pro-with-el-wire

#7 12 years ago

I believe that the older pins are built better. To me, and this is just a personal opinion, 1990s Williams and Bally pins are amazing. Buy a piece of history!

#8 12 years ago

Smokedog, out of curiosity, how well does your TZ hold up on location? More problems with maintenance or about the same as your other games?

#9 12 years ago

i vote for tron pro. you can't even compare that with the ac/dc lacking the lower playfield.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#10 12 years ago

Here in Arkansas, BBH for location. And it's less expensive up front or leased. I mean hunting/fishing is basically the main topic other than the Hogs.

#11 12 years ago
Quoted from MES:

Smokedog, out of curiosity, how well does your TZ hold up on location? More problems with maintenance or about the same as your other games?

TZ is my most solid pin, oddly enough, and my best earner (so far, MM has not been out long). The only thing that is not presently working is the loonie slot. Quarters only for now.

I make sure the pins are 100% before going on location, which makes maintenance much easier.

It would be nice for a change to buy a pin, take it out of the box, give it the once over and start playing. Would be a change of pace from ripping everything off the play field, clean, wipe, wax, rebuild the flippers and pops, put in LED's and new rubbers, fix any crazy cabinet issues, clean and replace plastics, etc, etc.

But it looks like the pinside has spoken! I guess I'll be hunting in the great white north for another pin!

#12 12 years ago

My first pin was a NIB. BBH was a sweet first pin. That game is a multiball beast.

#13 12 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

Hi all
Thanks in advance!

Resident Evil wasn't on the list !?!

#14 12 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Resident Evil wasn't on the list !?!

I thought Avengers was next? I wish I knew which titles were coming up. Would make some decisions easier.

#15 12 years ago

Since you are considering replacing a top rated pin (WH2O, MM, TZ) on location, then you need to select another top rated pin from 90's to 2012. Any crappy/boring pin will not be well received when they are use to having the best. For a sports bar, go for what the 20's - 40's crowd would be interested in. If you go w/ NIB, then either of the two choices you listed should be ok. I voted to buy an older pin (if you can get a great machine for $4000 or less, and don't have to drive to far to get it). Hope this helps.

#16 12 years ago

I'll get one someday sooner than later, what title? TBD

#17 12 years ago

I think an IJ, TSPP, LOTR, or the Shadow would be nice to have. I'd sure take those 4 over WOZ, AC/DC, TF, and Tron.

#18 12 years ago

I voted for AC/DC , Only because i have a Premium on order. My 1st NIB out of 169 Pin's..
I've Owned 16 of the Top 20 . Tron Would be my 2nd Choice. RawleyD brought his to the
Tourney last month. I liked it !! Good Luck on Yr Purchase ,, B_R

Resident Evil is Coming Soon i Hear.. I like the movies, I can Only imagine how the Pin will be..

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 12.95
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PFX Pinball Mods

11,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Trumansburg, NY
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

9,899 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 16.00
11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buying-first-nib-pin-poll and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.