(Topic ID: 86151)

Buying first NIB pin from Stern, have noob questions.

By Captain_Kirk

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4044 (resized).PNG
image-880.jpg
image-715.jpg
image.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Hey everyone! I'm getting ready to buy my first NIB, Star Trek Premium. Have a couple of questions, please go easy on me!

1. I understand buying a NIB pin is kinda like getting a new car, in that the street prices are actually below MSRP. If I'm calling around to get the best price, should I bother haggling when someone quotes the MSRP, or just laugh and hang up? Does anyone have any suggestion on a good distributor to try?

2. On that note, I'm hearing that the Star Trek Premium is going for the street price of around $6,500-$6,700. Does that sound right?

3. I understand that even though I can't buy directly from Stern, I can pick up my Pin from them. Is this true? I live in Indianapolis. Should I buy the pin from a distributor outside of Indiana to avoid sales tax, and then drive up to Chicago to pick up my Pin right from Stern? This seems optimal to me....avoid sales tax, cheaper than shipping it to me, no worries about damages from careless shipper, and a quick tour of the factory while I'm at it.

Thanks!

#2 10 years ago

Keep calling around. Don't pay a premium for a Premium.
I believe if you pick it up at the factory you will pay IL sales tax. A distributor should be able to tell you.

#3 10 years ago

I heard they do not allow pick up from them any longer

Pm sent

#4 10 years ago

There's things that add up in the price
1. Credit card fees 1.5% to 5%
2. Shipping
2.1 You can ship to a terminal to save some money, they are also open 24/7 so its easier to pickup then schedule with the delivery to the curb
3. There is wiggle room on the prices. Check with Cointaker and Trent at Tilt Amusements. The more quotes you see, the better the price will be.
4. NIB. Do you need NIB? It's an experience for sure, but if you can get a used game, this can save a bunch. Usually when the next game is released they often tank a little even if it's within the same year it came out. For instance if I sold my ACDC premium now, I'd probably take a grand loss from my nib price.

On a side note, Trent usually gives pretty good deals on shaker motors and after market things for your game. Cointaker sent me a small cleaning kit for a nib. Both excellent to deal with.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

should I bother haggling when someone quotes the MSRP, or just laugh and hang up

If someone quotes MSRP to me, Im hanging up. It's not worth dealing with a distributor who even gives me that number. There are plenty of distributors on pinside that will offer you a competitive number right off the bat. $6500-$6700 sounds reasonable, but you may be able to do better. I bought a Luci for a really good number a couple weeks ago.

#6 10 years ago

So you don't actually have any pinball questions. Just shopping questions.

#7 10 years ago

I'm curious about this because I'm thinking about getting a Star Trek Pro in the not too distant future. I have seen different prices out there, but they are all within $200-$300 of each other. How much room is there to haggle?

Also, I see that some distributors offer an in-home delivery and setup option. Being somewhat of a noob myself, I'm wondering whether anyone has done this and what their experience has been? It might be worth it to me if the price is right.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

So you don't actually have anything helpful to add. Just being a jerk?

#9 10 years ago

Thank everyone for the advice here and the PM's. I appreciate it. I'm sure it will be old hat by the time I buy my 2nd one!

#10 10 years ago

Here is my words of advice for purchasing a NIB pinball machine. Shop the rest and then go with the best-CoinTaker

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I'm curious about this because I'm thinking about getting a Star Trek Pro in the not too distant future. I have seen different prices out there, but they are all within $200-$300 of each other. How much room is there to haggle?

Most of the distributors on pinside will be somewhat close to each other often. Mainly, I believe, because there isn't as much wiggle room on the games when you know your quote is up against multiple other ones. There is also likely more room as you go up in versions of the game (pro, premium, LE). I will usually just get a few quotes from reputable distributors and go with the lowest I get. But it's up to you how you would want to proceed.

Quoted from Nokoro:

Also, I see that some distributors offer an in-home delivery and setup option. Being somewhat of a noob myself, I'm wondering whether anyone has done this and what their experience has been? It might be worth it to me if the price is right.

Personally, I wouldn't bother having someone set up your new game for you. You can do it all yourself (with the help of a friend). All of the information you need is readily available on here, and through Stern themselves.

If you're really worried about it, it may be worth a few more dollars to have it done. But Ive unboxed and set up multiple games (even my first) without the distributors help.

#12 10 years ago

Don't pay for shipping and don't pay for set up. Setting up a pinball game is super easy, just set up my StT by myself last week. . . Because i couldn't stand waiting another minute for hel-. I have bought a couple premiums from Trent at www.tiltamusements.com and got a great price with free shipping. Enjoy your new purchase. image-880.jpgimage-880.jpgimage-715.jpgimage-715.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#13 10 years ago

I was planning to set up myself but then have been reading some recent threads of people having problems with damage during shipment and the like. I have a fairly tight basement to get into. Paying someone a little bit to set up kind of seemed like an insurance policy to me, taking the risk of shipment, delivery and set up off of me. That said, I'm still on the fence as to whether it is worth it. Thanks for the comments.

#14 10 years ago

Your first NIB is a really cool time. Let me second Trent at Tilt. And because of what he did for a customer recently I'd also say JJ. When I bought my first NIB from Trent he answered all my noob questions. I'd be sending email after email, and he was answering as best he could. In the end it worked out great. In fact it is funny that the game I bought from him is the next one that is going to get shopped. I guess the biggest thing is to go with someone trustworthy (just look at what people say about them here) and that will answer all your questions. The don't sign the bill of lading if it looks like the box was kicked around (my first came in a pristine box, and I drove to New Jersey to pick up my last NIB game).

Man, fun times. I love the tension of that very first game figuring out if the game is working 100%.

#15 10 years ago

Let me third Trent at TILT. I bought my Star Trek Premium from him. It was a perfect transaction. I will def buy my next New in Box from him.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from Starbuck77:

Nah just bummed cause this is such an awesome machine and I wanted to go through all the things I've done with it since I bought it, like trying to quieten it down a bit since its the noisiest machine I've ever played. From padding the coil stops and the problems that caused to remounting the flipper coils on rubber, which worked really well actually, and like changing the translite out for an alternate that I bought off eBay and then did a small review of, and how I specifically sold SM to buy the ST premium and how they compare and how I have been feeling about that trade. But then I opened the post and it was just pricing and dealer questions. Bummer. Anyway, to OP, good luck with whoever you buy it off. Playing the game will, though, be the main thing long after the purchase is complete.

#17 10 years ago

What??? The threads not about you ??

#18 10 years ago

Fourth for Trent........

Hate giving up my only private distribution secret in this industry. Wanting to buy more from him before everybody else finds out.........

And then of course price and demand kicks in....

Now you know.

#19 10 years ago

If this is your first NIB, you want it to be a pleasant experience. And getting the right dealer and the right price is all part of that. True. I just want to point out that, for me, this exact machine has been an issue, and if there is any way at all you can get to the distributor and play two different machines it might be helpful. The actual machine I have is very noisy. The flippers and slings are banging like crazy, way more than any other machine I have or have had, but I suspect it is just my machine or a small number of them and not all of them. If things like this happen to you they hang around long after you forget how much you paid. ST is awesome. You will love it. But like you said, it can be a bit like a car, you want to make sure you get a really nice example.

#20 10 years ago

Now that's your done with ST,pick up an AC/DC & let the good times roll!

#21 10 years ago

I have been watching this thread because I am also getting ready for my first NIB. I am going to pickup a Metallica Pro. I haven't tried Trent but Melissa at CT quoted me a much better price than another distributor that a bunch of locals use. Most of this thread has centered on where to buy but what about things to do as soon as you have inspected and setup the pin? Anything that needs to be done with the PF before playing? I know a lot of people recommend skipping the Stern factory balls and immediately replacing them. What else should be done?

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

If this is your first NIB, you want it to be a pleasant experience. And getting the right dealer and the right price is all part of that. True. I just want to point out that, for me, this exact machine has been an issue, and if there is any way at all you can get to the distributor and play two different machines it might be helpful. The actual machine I have is very noisy. The flippers and slings are banging like crazy, way more than any other machine I have or have had, but I suspect it is just my machine or a small number of them and not all of them. If things like this happen to you they hang around long after you forget how much you paid. ST is awesome. You will love it. But like you said, it can be a bit like a car, you want to make sure you get a really nice example.

I think the coil strength can be adjusted in the menu.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Buying first NIB pin from Stern, have noob questions.

Quoted from TimeBandit:

Quoted from Starbuck77:

Hey! I clicked on this thread to see what noob pinball questions he would ask and was also disappointed. No fault of the OP though, his noob questions are "buying" questions which is noted in his thread title. I just don't see someone making a post and clarifying the OP's intent as being a jerk.

3 years later
#24 6 years ago

If you buy a NIB pinball; how can you tell it was not just repackaged by a distributor. What to look for?

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

If you buy a NIB pinball; how can you tell it was not just repackaged by a distributor. What to look for?

Im not sure you could......if you had a shady distro. Not something Ive really worried about. Ive always had great interactions with the distros Ive ordered from. If your not getting a good vibe.....keep calling around.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Not sure how anyone would do this without it looking obvious. The box uses gnarly staples to hold it together, the packaging strap that is around the whole game is something you need equipment for as well. All the packing material, etc. not sure why any distro would go through the trouble.

#27 6 years ago

IMG_4044 (resized).PNGIMG_4044 (resized).PNG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

arcade-cabinets.com

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buying-first-nib-pin-from-stern-have-noob-questions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.