(Topic ID: 188552)

Buying ColorDMD?

By Rdoyle1978

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_2017-05-26-06-06-10 (resized).png
    FullSizeRender 3 (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

I'm trying to buy a ColorDMD - PPS is out of stock, and the ColorDMD Store shows 'currently unavailable' for every LED AND LCD. something must be going on. I emailed Randy, but anybody know - is this normal? I've been able to order one in the past, but it's been a while

#2 6 years ago

I think it usually happens when they have a new release or 2 and everyone gobbles them up quick. THen you have to wait awhile for them to re-up their stock.

EDIT: Remember which machine it is really doens't matter, all the WPC for example use the same one just diff'rent software, so they'll all appear to be unavailable.

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I'm trying to buy a ColorDMD - PPS is out of stock, and the ColorDMD Store shows 'currently unavailable' for every LED AND LCD. something must be going on. I emailed Randy, but anybody know - is this normal? I've been able to order one in the past, but it's been a while

Yep they are just out of stock. Was going to pull the trigger and he said they were out. However now that I went to Ann Arbor pinball show not sure if I am going LED or LCD so appreciating the extra time to ponder....

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from hockeymag8:

Yep they are just out of stock. Was going to pull the trigger and he said they were out. However now that I went to Ann Arbor pinball show not sure if I am going LED or LCD so appreciating the extra time to ponder....

Curious, which did you like better in person? I'm leaning towards the LED because of cost, but am wondering which one to get when they come back in.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from dsmoke1986:

Curious, which did you like better in person? I'm leaning towards the LED because of cost, but am wondering which one to get when they come back in.

LED MUCH brighter, can only do dots, no fat dots which you need to watch videos of to see if you like. I go (EDIT scan mode?- fat pizels) myself but everyone is diff'rent.
    THe LEDs can be turned down though, but damn they dazzle the eye for sure.

#6 6 years ago

aha! Thanks; I'll just have to wait I guess! I'm buying for a Doctor Who so I'm pretty sure I'm going LED so I don't have to deal with the issues related to the lower light board

#7 6 years ago

I'm surprised people like the LCD over LED so much - so much clarity on the LED model, and with how picky pinball people are, I figured they'd go for that one. I think that one looks GREAT.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

I'm surprised people like the LCD over LED so much - so much clarity on the LED model, and with how picky pinball people are, I figured they'd go for that one. I think that one looks GREAT.

The options are important though; if you are buying a mod, you're going to want to use it to customize your game. People like being able to do DotXL, Hi-Res, etc. I have the Squares set up on my Creature, which IMO looks really good. Monster Bash gets Hi-Res. Doctor Who is getting LED (but as I posted above, for practical reasons)

#9 6 years ago

They're just running low on stock right now probably.

I know a lot of people just ordered a bunch of them for a big ColorDMD display they're going to have at Pin A Go Go next weekend.

(I'm thinking 20+ games with displays in them at least)

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

LED MUCH brighter, can only do dots, not dots XL which you need to watch videos of to see if you like. I go Dot XL myself but everyone is diff'rent.
    THe LEDs can be turned down though, but damn they dazzle the eye for sure.

Yeah, I think I'm just going to go LED; but will check out the Dots XL to be sure...They both look good to me on YouTube, but tough to tell.

Thx for the info.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The options are important though; if you are buying a mod, you're going to want to use it to customize your game. People like being able to do DotXL, Hi-Res, etc. I have the Squares set up on my Creature, which IMO looks really good. Monster Bash gets Hi-Res. Doctor Who is getting LED (but as I posted above, for practical reasons)

I am a mostly a LCD guy, but when it came to Dr Who, I went LED so I wouldn't have to worry about the lamp board below it. LED is a good choice in Dr Who.

#12 6 years ago

I personally love DotsXL on the LCD but the LED looks great too!

I would go LED if it's a game that's required for size purposes (Like CV or any Data East game e.t.c.)

#14 6 years ago

Yep, went to order one today and they are out...darn

#15 6 years ago

I can't get past the quality of the Hi-Res images, which is why I feel most people go with LCD. I'm a dots guy, and some games will have great DMD images meant for dots. Not a fan of the Hi-Res images at all. Have you seen LOTR with colorDMD Hi-Res? Looks like a 5 yr old drew up those images...

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

I can't get past the quality of the Hi-Res images, which is why I feel most people go with LCD. I'm a dots guy, and some games will have great DMD images meant for dots. Not a fan of the Hi-Res images at all. Have you seen LOTR with colorDMD Hi-Res? Looks like a 5 yr old drew up those images...

For me, the high-res images really shine in games with actual video that was converted to Dots (Like Transformers, IM, e.t.c.)

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

...which is why I feel most people go with LCD....

I think people get excited these days whenever anything LED is cheaper

#18 6 years ago

Which do you guys think will look best in a family guy.. LCD or LED??

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bowlingpin:

Which do you guys think will look best in a family guy.. LCD or LED??

LCD for sure...it's a cartoon so the LCD makes it look...like a cartoon

#20 6 years ago

What about Dracula & Congo which displays would look better!?

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Aside from the preference some have for the various rendering modes the LCD offers, there are some other things to consider as downsides to the LED, in my opinion.

The biggest one is that the levels from bright to dim are not an even ramp with LEDs, as the brightness gets lower, the difference between each 'shade' is not as distinct. This doesn't matter much on older games with only 3 levels (bright, mid and dim) but on the newer Stern games with 12 and 16 (spike) levels of brightness, the darker stuff gets very 'muddy' (or however you would describe it).

Then there's also the fact that a dot that is more dim on the LED is actually a smaller point of light, so you start to get separation in the colors and gaps in the image. With the LCD, the dots are always the same size, they're just not as bright.

IMHO, the newer stern stuff always looks better on the LCD.

#22 6 years ago

I went with LED for my TFTC. I didn't like that I had to cut up my speaker panel to fit the LCD close enough, and have the potential for something to go wrong or not be satisfied with seeing through the sides of the panel past the LCD monitor, which I've seen on a few LCD examples out and about. They may have been setup wrong, but that was my impression of them. Now, your Dr Who may have a friendlier setup to fit an LCD monitor than Data East's TFTC.

I do agree with TheLaw and that any cartoon games look amazing in LCD and fit the mold to replicate an actual cartoon. I would do LCD if I had a Simpsons, Family Guy, etc.

Also, in the Data East games, the LCD monitor is much taller than the original DMD speaker panel, and it blocks a small section of lower line of LEDs lighting up your translite. For me, I didn't want to do that and felt it was too much to mod this game. The LED dots look amazing and it fits like a glove. Plus, it allows me to stay within the original technology the game was meant to have, but add a little twist of color. Again, it looks AMAZING.

This is just my opinion and the route I went. I honestly think you cannot go wrong either way, and those with LCD in their TFTC's look really great as well. I had to chat with ColorDMD about something after receiving my order and they were fast and super helpful. My game's playing experience has been elevated by this simple addition of color. I love it.

COLORDMD IS A GREAT INVESTMENT!!!!!!!
    FullSizeRender 3 (resized).jpgFullSizeRender 3 (resized).jpg

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from dsmoke1986:

I am still torn after spending a ton of time looking at both (I went with a friend so whenever she was playing I was obsessed looking at the DMDs - especially where the LED and LCDs were very close to each other).

I love the vibrant colors of the LED for sure. TFTC looked really good. However the images were not as crisp and easy to see/read as the LCD. I did not like the LCD hi res that looked like a cartoon unless you are going to put it on a cartoon game. For me some lines/breaks like the large dots LCD looked great.

Very noticeable to me was the black backing of the LED compared to the lighter backing of the LCD. It just did not look as crisp when blending in with other blacks on the game.

So think I am going LED for lower cost/better blacks/better tie in with speaker lights/I like dots - gonna be a lost art with the new LCD games now coming out/easier fit/lower power consumption/better viewing from side

However I think I am making myself mental over analyzing this as either way LED/LCD - the color blows away the orange. You see so many images you never did before.

#24 6 years ago

The led looks great in Iron Man and Tales. Lcd in all other machines I have. The led is brighter and the lcd smoother and darker. Both are a great improvement!!

#25 6 years ago

Everyone likes a different flavor. I prefer the hi res but don't remember seeing one at Expo (surprise surprise surprise!). Tried to order one this morning for the incoming ACDC, outta stock.
    For that particular machine, whaddya guys recommend?

#26 6 years ago

Going LCD again this time into Godzilla ... Apologies to the "old school" just can't look at the standard DMD Orange anymore!
    Dam you ColorDMD keep up the great effort.

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from fattrain:

They're just running low on stock right now probably.
    I know a lot of people just ordered a bunch of them for a big ColorDMD display they're going to have at Pin A Go Go next weekend.
    (I'm thinking 20+ games with displays in them at least)

That's actually what I was planning to order for tonight myself... guess that boat sailed.

#28 6 years ago

I have led in mb ss cftbl afm smv and bdk....all awesome. I have lcd in imv but wish it was led. The movie scenes just dont cut it in lcd so I don't see the point myself. The led is so crisp....
    Also had some warranty issues and Randy has been straight on it....very good service compared to say pjnsound which have been so slow in responding to issues.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinhead1982:

What about Dracula & Congo which displays would look better!?

I have LCD in CONGO... I have LCD in all my DMD games as I prefer the Hi Res/smoothing. To me it is a personal preference thing, your game do what you like. The LCD has more options as far as how you set it up ie. Dots XL, Hi Res., dots, tiles etc. I prefer the smoothing and the choices I get with the LCD.

Phoebe

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Agreed.

#31 6 years ago

On the subject of Colour DMD. Can I fit a colourDMD LCD to my spike. GoT. I have the power tap but just wanted to check.

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from jokerpoker:

On the subject of Colour DMD. Can I fit a colourDMD LCD to my spike. GoT. I have the power tap but just wanted to check.

Needs the same 'metal backbox' mounting kit as the other newer sterns. Standoffs and the new clear window.

#33 6 years ago

One of the modes I feel like people seem to skip is the 'squares' mode. for me, this is right in between the dots and what we kind of 'wish' the hi-res mode looked like. I have hi-res mode on my MB as it is close enough to a cartoon for me, and I think it looks good. I use squares on my CFTBL because it gives the impression that the image is higher-res, without the kind of 'melted' effect you can get with hi-res. As noted, cartoon games look amazing with hi-res!

2 weeks later
    #35 6 years ago

Your wait is finally over.Screenshot_2017-05-26-06-06-10 (resized).pngScreenshot_2017-05-26-06-06-10 (resized).png

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buying-colordmd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.