4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Pinball4life
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Most of my games are nib. With that said, I've tried to sell some titles and I get little to no responses.
    Also, maybe its my area. But I believe I'm skilled enough to do restoration on a players game. But, for the most part these don't pop up on Craigslist and on the pinside market. I hear on The Pinball Podcast a lot about picking up players and repairing them. But I dont see a bunch or any out there. Especially for players prices.

So the question is, how do I increase my chances of selling games? I'm obviously not posting in the right areas as I know people move their collections around more than I do, I just dont know how.
    And with those answers, maybe I'll find out how to buy the player titles I'm looking for.

Thanks.

#2 4 years ago

Oh I do get the Choggard messages...

#3 4 years ago

Maybe extremely details photos, videos. Cats help sell pins too! I don't think it is your area.

#4 4 years ago

I've struggled with this as well. Generally people wont bite on the ad unless you have a LOT of pictures to detail the condition and a price they think would be low enough for them to consider it. More desirable games are easier to sell of course. I know as a seller you want to try and leave some wiggle room because people will want to negotiate so you price it a little higher. I found the closer you post the game to the price you are willing to let it go for the more interest you will get. In turn the more interest you get the more likely you'll say no to lower offers and actually get what you were asking.

#5 4 years ago

It's going to boil down to the titles you are trying to sell, price, and condition. For example if you try to sell a Big Buck Hunter for 5k, you're going to have a bad time. Location does factor in somewhat, but if you have a title someone really wants at a competitive price, then usually shipping is not an issue.

If you are looking to fix up games and sell them then do yourself a favor and research which titles are going to be worth your time. Too many times I see people dumping tons of money into restoring an old EM, list it for 3-5k, and can't figure out why its not selling. More times than not they get butt hurt about 'low ball offers' so they sit on the machine. This situation helps no one. It doesn't help the seller nor does it do any good for the people actually looking to play the table but not get price reamed.

You're going to have a hard time selling your game at a competitive price that also wont cause you to loose your butt on parts and time spent on restoration. Not every old table is a diamond in the rough. So again, do your research. My suggestion would be to explore the forums and other pin sale sites to see what games are actually SELLING for, not listing for on ebay and see if you can restore within those constraints. Good luck to you !

#6 4 years ago

Honestly, I get the impression that people talk about wanting a game but don't want to PM an offer.

#7 4 years ago

I think that in your area, there are a lot of pinball games for sale and at prices a lot less than one see's in California.

So while the games for sale near you might not be newer, you have to compete with a lot of really good older titles.

I think that's what might make it difficult for you.

You might offer to ship palleted, if you don't already...perhaps at a low or at no additional cost, other than the shipping charge it's self, which the buyer can arrange.

Robert

#8 4 years ago

If your games don't sell or generate any interest, they are too expensive.

Lower your prices to generate more interest.

That's the magic formula.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This !!!

#10 4 years ago

I've been doing this for about 8 or 9 years now. When I started, I thought I would hunt games, fix them and then sell them. What I actually did was find them fix them and pretty much keep them. The hunt was my favorite part. I would only sell games if by chance I had a duplicate or was simply out of room. But...the "hunt" was the best. Wasn't so much about the money, but finding gems. When I started, there were probably 20 people in my area hunting games. I can't imagine how many there are now. I used to regularly travel 3 states in my quest to find good deals. Totally agree with Arcadius.. Don't just buy any machine trying to make a profit or you will get stuck.

Frankly, the popularity and awareness of pinball value has grown so much, the hunt is pretty much dead. Too many people after too few games. I had not bought a pin in over two years when just by chance I checked CL and there was a fresh South Park for $500! Said it didn't work but really all it was an error. Ended up being just some minor corrosion and a bad ram chip (obsolete chip, but Digikey did have another compatible) I was first call and the machine was within 3 miles of my house...By the time I got there, the seller of course had higher offers. I asked what they were and he said $650... So I paid $650 for it.

Unless you have some inside line on machines for cheap, I can't imagine anyone thinking they can hunt fix and sell for profits these days....unless you value your time at $0 per hour.

So...find machines you like at reasonable prices and simply enjoy the hobby. Maybe you can fix it up some and get a little more for it when you sell it or maybe trade it..

I lost the hunt so now I do other fun things, like make new clear and colored ramps for games that no one else cares to support.

#11 4 years ago

crazi levi is exactly right. I listed my games for sale and only needed to sell one. sold 3 in a week (west mich) you are priced too high. I haven't seen your prices, but that is the only reason, because even games that are rode hard and put away wet, sell in a week. Just my opinion. kruz

#12 4 years ago

If it's priced right it WILL sell, and usually quick, so price I would say is your issue. Let us know your prices if you want to see if it might be something else.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Thats pretty much it. But then, I wouldn't expect anyone that does this for a living to actually divulge any "real" secrets. Taken me 35 years to learn the business. You can't learn it over night, and because each client is different, there is not a one catch all way to success. And the business is constantly changing. Track prices on games a year ago to now! Unless you are going to do this full time and are willing to spend a few years paying your dues, and learning from your mistakes but still not giving up, you should look at this as more of a hobby to help you pay for your own games. That is something most can do with just a little luck finding a few games at amazing prices, and a willingness to make them play and look awesome. In the end, what the quoted poster said is some very good simple advice. Good luck....it can be lots of fun. And one last thing....don't just do it for the money or you won't be successful. You have to love it. Then, no matter what, it will be a rewarding journey.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 46.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 5.00
    $ 219.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 28.00
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 7,399.00
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 14.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 9.90
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 19.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Siegecraft Electronics

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside