(Topic ID: 241733)

Buying an infamous pinball! What is your loss?

By Onwallst

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Buying an infamous pinball! What is your loss?”

• Biggest loss NIB? 32 votes
      59%
    • Biggest loss trade game? 3 votes
      6%
    • Biggest loss used title? 12 votes
      22%
    • Please don’t ask, too much pain? 7 votes
      13%

(54 votes)

This poll has been closed.

There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 4 years ago
    Quoted from gearheaddropping:

I’m way in on a Houdini at $4k. I think it’s a great game for a medium sized collection. Tough shots but very satisfying when you are hitting them.

That's about where I'd be as well

#52 4 years ago

I hoard and never sell anything, so no loss here.

#53 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gribbs:

Does it? Does it, REALLY?

I agree sometimes NIB means I have to talk to the warranty department. My older games after I get them dialed are very reliable. However i do have to get dialed in. NIB I always find the manufacturing errors. On Wiz of Oz it was 1.0 light boards. On MMr it was the board under the playfeild but just out of warranty. On AFMr it was plastics, playfeild, boards and wiring.

#54 4 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

That’s the spirit!

#55 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gooch:

Alien LE. Paid in full, including the additional charge for the full screen. Learned an expensive lesson on that one.

That hurts to collect even the up charge.

#56 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I don't think Houdini will skyrocket at all. Too many people keep listing it for sale. I keep seeing them for $5k, $4800, $4600, and a couple for $4500. The price on that one keeps sinking. I wouldn't be surprised if it goes down to $4k in the next couple months or so.

I agree supply seems strong. They are even on Craigslist for months at a time.

#57 4 years ago

Interesting question - I had to go back and look at my collection history. On a % basis, I lost the most on an Avatar pro as I took about a 25% hit from the original purchase price. Just based on $$'s, my biggest loss was on a ST Prem - as I took an $1,150 loss.

#58 4 years ago

You can lose money on pinball? Broke even on my RZ. Had to buy a 2nd one to do it. Shuffled and traded mods from one to the other then took a Megatouch in trade which I later sold.

#59 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gooch:

Alien LE. Paid in full, including the additional charge for the full screen. Learned an expensive lesson on that one.

Sorry to hear that. What were they charging for Alien LE?

#60 4 years ago

Everytime I walk into a barcade, I bleed money.

#61 4 years ago

Never.
    I don't buy new cars off the lot.
    Even if I were to buy a modern, I'd be the guy waiting a year for the dust to settle on the price, so if I got out, I'd be at a likely break-even.
    -mof

#62 4 years ago

Supporting a barcade means you are helping to bring new people into the hobby, so we all thank you for helping to keep pinball alive.
    -mof

#63 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gooch:

You and me both!!!

#64 4 years ago

I think I took a loss of about $500 on MMR. Tough to tell exactly because a trade was involved. I had it about a year. If you asked me 5 years ago if I wanted to open a brand new MM and play it for a year for $42 a month I would have jumped on it.

#65 4 years ago

Xenon. Restoring that game ate my time, soul, money and sanity. Was so happy to see it go. Lost 400 plus time.

Bride of Pinbot. She's is certainly a beauty. Not when I got it. Was a beat up machine that I paid to much money for.
    Then I had it restored. After all that plastic surgery she's a beauty now. Thought we could break up. Can't. Way to much
    money in game and never going to find another in this condition. Unless it becomes the blasphemy 2.0 .

NIB - For the most part the devaluation I've seen would be what I would of spent driving to barcade, drinking, and plunking
    in lots of money because I suck at new games.

#66 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gribbs:

Does it? Does it, REALLY?

Just describing my situation, I've had no issues with new machines. Your mileage may vary of course.

#67 4 years ago

Over the course of 30 years I honestly can't remember selling a game for less than I have put into it, and that's probably the main reason I have so many!! If I can't at least break even, then it stays

#68 4 years ago

I bought a semi-trashed Sorcerer and overpaid when I was a newb. Lost about $400 USD.

#69 4 years ago
    Quoted from harryhoudini:

My JJP POTC LE was bought used but still really close to new price, so that's probably the one I'll lose the most on.

yep but they no longer produce this and it's an epic pin...could go UP in value, hang onto it and enjoy. it might end up being an investment.

#70 4 years ago
    Quoted from dgpinball:

Over the course of 30 years I honestly can't remember selling a game for less than I have put into it, and that's probably the main reason I have so many!! If I can't at least break even, then it stays

You have a few classic sterns you could sell me I'm sure you wouldnt lose money on

#71 4 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

I too am a hoarder so as games become keepers-pricing goes out the window. I really do not care about machines losing value, when they bring such tremendous amounts of enjoyment. If I ever sell X-MEN LE, Star Wars LE, Ghostbusters LE, Avengers LE, etc. I will take a bath-but it will be the best bath I ever had. When pinball gives you this type of enjoyment-it is priceless.

#72 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

I too am a hoarder so as games become keepers-pricing goes out the window. I really do not care about machines losing value, when they bring such tremendous amounts of enjoyment. If I ever sell X-MEN LE, Star Wars LE, Ghostbusters LE, Avengers LE, etc. I will take a bath-but it will be the best bath I ever had. When pinball gives you this type of enjoyment-it is priceless.

Well said.

#73 4 years ago

"Games become keepers"... Nope, no such thing. Ownership or possessing something is more like "renting and taking care of it until you die" and not "this is me and what I am now". First world problems for sure. Don't let the thing be in front, you be the "in front".

#74 4 years ago

Lets see....bought Spiderman and Iron Man at the same (around the time both were at their highest prices). About 2 or 3 months later, Stern announces vaults for both of them. Both are gone and lost quite a bit on each. On a side note, Transformers was my first game and still to this day, its my go to game for a fast play. Wont sell it for many reasons, but defiently because I think its worth much more than I could get.

#75 4 years ago

Scrolling through these posts makes it pretty clear...buying NIB pins that you have never seen, touched, or played is not too bright. On those pins, the consumers don't make the market; the dealers make the market, then manufacturers join in to build the hype. And don't forget! There will ONLY be XXX of the super rare ultra desirable limited editions! Reminds me of my kid talking about Pokemon cards in the 90's.

And the thought of so many people paying in full for games from...let's be generous and call them "boutique" manufacturers...is insane.

Just like on cars and boats and RV's, it is easy to lose a lot of money buying something new. You would lose less $ if someone broke into your house and stole three or four EMS than taking the hit on a NIB.

#76 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

That moaning you just heard is Gary Stern and Jersey Jack having orgasms.

#77 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

When pinball gives you this type of enjoyment-it is priceless.

I wouldn't say priceless. You have to be at least somewhat careful about how much money you spend. I don't get the guys buying and selling nib pins fast. That's a lot of money flushing down the toilet. At least play the games first and make sure you are going to keep it for a while. I usually end up over paying for all my games but I at least know they are games I really want that will stay a while.

#78 4 years ago

Sigh. Just one for me but it was a heart breaker one. This was several years ago.

Bought a Pinball Magic from a friend of a friend who got it from an estate sale. It was in really nice condition, clearly sat in a home for years.

He shrink wrapped and put it on a pallet to ship to me. I get a call 2 days later from the shipper that my game is at the terminal ready to be picked up. I get there and they bring out the game which was now laying in its side on the pallet, no shrink wrap, no straps, nothing. All the glass broken, the cabinet severely cracked, even the playfield was cracked if you could believe it. They HAD to have dropped it off of the truck (or building) or something to inflict that much damage.

Being a friend brokering the deal, I paid cash ahead of time to him. You know where this is going. I wanted to reject the shipment but was told to go ahead and receive it, 'promise to make it all good', 'won't leave you hanging'. I think I got $300 back after nagging and nagging from what was a total loss.

Not much else I could have done. I am sure if I rejected the shipment, I probably would have been out a game and my money. Lesson learned, no cash ahead of time even to a friend on an expensive item.

But on a positive note, I still have the game, it is still a todo. Some other friends were able to help me get some of the damaged NLA parts (for free) and a new playfield for it. So with a lot of work it can be salvaged. But still obviously way overpaid by a longshot.

#79 4 years ago

Biggest loss to date, Aerosmith LE. Took about a 2K CAD hit on that one.

#80 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bigbossfan:

Wow that hurts!

#81 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

You have a few classic sterns you could sell me I'm sure you wouldnt lose money on

It's funny you say that...
    I keep hearing how classic sterns are some of the best values in pinball today. I didn't realize until i put my Meteor up for sale yesterday. It sold in 30 minutes, and people were practically beating my door down for it.

You heard it here: get them cheap while you can.

#82 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

It's funny you say that...
    I keep hearing how classic sterns are some of the best values in pinball today. I didn't realize until i put my Meteor up for sale yesterday. It sold in 30 minutes, and people were practically beating my door down for it.
    You heard it here: get them cheap while you can.

I agree

#83 4 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

Are you saying i shouldnt PM you about congo?

#84 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Are you saying i shouldnt PM you about congo?

Yup. Couldn't tell you the last time I played it but it's SO solid and in great condition, I can't let it go. That machine is a tank. Never had a single issue.

#85 4 years ago

"infamous pinball" makes it sound like it was owned by Hitler or involved in the Manson murders.

#86 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

"infamous pinball" makes it sound like it was owned by Hitler or involved in the Manson murders.

It could be a pinball that was locked in a safe and opened by Geraldo Rivera.

#87 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bigbossfan:

At this point the market dictates anyone buying any Stern LE should expect to lose at least 10%-15% if they sell. Even mods don’t help much. That’s been the case with every recent stern starting with Aerosmith. In 4 months you’ll be able to get black knight LE for 7800us or better. Happens every game now.

#88 4 years ago

Do mods really ever truly get factored in to the price? I feel like at maximum it's pennies on the dollar.

#89 4 years ago

Do mods really ever truly get factored in to the price? I feel like at maximum it's pennies on the dollar

Some do. ColorDMD being a good example. Probably won't get 100% back but pretty close.

#90 4 years ago
    Quoted from Only_Pinball:

Some do. ColorDMD being a good example. Probably won't get 100% back but pretty close.

Good example. That's one I often see "not included" with the game for sale unless the buyer pays more. The ol "I'm putting the original dmd back in" posting.

#91 4 years ago
    Quoted from Only_Pinball:

Sometimes more. They mark the price up $400 and keep or sell the original.

#92 4 years ago

Yeah mods just help sell quicker not more.

#93 4 years ago

Do mods really ever truly get factored in to the price? I feel like at maximum it's pennies on the dollar.

people try to get all mods and time back out of a pin. ridiculous

#94 4 years ago

Yeah, like it or not, many titles are pretty much *expected* to have certain mods on them these days. For those, it's not like you can "up" for the mods, but if the machine *doesn't* have them, it can kinda cause a "drop." That is, a stock one usually doesn't and shouldn't bring as much as the one with all the expected mods. KnowwhatImean?

#95 4 years ago
    Quoted from dankme:

Sigh. Just one for me but it was a heart breaker one. This was several years ago.
    Bought a Pinball Magic from a friend of a friend who got it from an estate sale. It was in really nice condition, clearly sat in a home for years.
    He shrink wrapped and put it on a pallet to ship to me. I get a call 2 days later from the shipper that my game is at the terminal ready to be picked up. I get there and they bring out the game which was now laying in its side on the pallet, no shrink wrap, no straps, nothing. All the glass broken, the cabinet severely cracked, even the playfield was cracked if you could believe it. They HAD to have dropped it off of the truck (or building) or something to inflict that much damage.
    Being a friend brokering the deal, I paid cash ahead of time to him. You know where this is going. I wanted to reject the shipment but was told to go ahead and receive it, 'promise to make it all good', 'won't leave you hanging'. I think I got $300 back after nagging and nagging from what was a total loss.
    Not much else I could have done. I am sure if I rejected the shipment, I probably would have been out a game and my money. Lesson learned, no cash ahead of time even to a friend on an expensive item.
    But on a positive note, I still have the game, it is still a todo. Some other friends were able to help me get some of the damaged NLA parts (for free) and a new playfield for it. So with a lot of work it can be salvaged. But still obviously way overpaid by a longshot.

Thing is nobody will ship you a pin without being paid first. How did you get boned so hard on the settlement? Was it not properly insured?

There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buying-an-infamous-pinball-what-is-your-loss/page/2?hl=rustylizard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.