9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Bribo13
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-747.jpg
    image-904.jpg
    image-655.jpg
    image-836.jpg
    image-2.jpg
    image-333.jpg
    image-153.jpg
    image-165.jpg
    image-325.jpg
    image-370.jpg
    image.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

I got a chance to play an EM machine at PAPA last weekend and found one that I really liked. I only played a few games on it while I was there, so I'm not sure about the longevity. With DMDs you have rule sets, call outs, music, etc. With an EM there are just bells, chimes and a ball that moves relatively slow.

The only other game I own (for now) is DM.

Doesn't that get old? I'm just worried that I'll spend way to much on it (because I think it's overpriced, but they are really rare, well, at least I think they are), pay to have it shipped, then only play it a couple times and get bored.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts.

#2 9 years ago

i have only em's and am never "bored"...

#3 9 years ago

If the ball moves too slow, make it faster.

I couldn't imagine getting bored of any game in two plays - but I love sharing my pins, and I think EM is a wonderful gateway for folks to move into other games in my collection.

#4 9 years ago

Which game was it that you liked?

There are plenty of us EM guys that prefer them over deep rule sets, call outs, music etc. With that said there are plenty of DMD guys that can't understand how an EM could be fun. The experience is quite a bit different. The good news is if you find yourself interested enough to buy one, they share a commonality with DMD games. If you get bored with it you can most likely recoup your initial investment. You just have to be patient and buy right.

#5 9 years ago

Half of my games are EMs and I play them much more frequently than the solid states.

You have rule sets with EMs as well, and they are typically more straightforward, but more difficult to accomplish receiving an extra ball or a special.

If the rule is that you have to drop down all drops to light special, it seems simple. Actually completing this goal is another thing. And that is what gives the longevity. Also, just because you are able to do so once, doesn't mean that you'll be able to do so every time. And if you do? Make it steeper. Adjust the machine from liberal to conservative post positions. Make it a drain monster.

I enjoy a nice ramp as much as the next guy. However, I prefer EMs due to the pure gameplay. Your ball is rarely trapped for more than a second or two anywhere, unlike in DMD machines where you have to wait for animations or callouts to complete. The bells and chimes are both soothing and infuriating. (Why can't I just hit that rollover for 5000 points?) I love the melodious sounds more than a pulsing solid state thump or modern movie music.

Having multiple EMs tuned up and humming side by side is wonderful as well when you have folks over to play. Ding Ding Clang Smack Buzz.

There are certain layouts that I don't click with, just as with more modern games.

If you click with the game and had a chance to play it a bit, chances are that you won't get sick of it. But do your research and see what one typically goes for before plunking down money. If it is priced high, you probably don't have to jump on it right away. If it is fully working, think of what that means for you (in terms of cash), if you don't like getting your hands dirty. You will eventually have to adjust a switch or change a lamp, just like in a modern game.

One last thing: I've never had a problem with the ball moving too slow on an EM that I owned. At shows, where they may be moved from level, or there is low line power, yes. Mine move too fast for me, that's for sure!

P.S. Not to shamelessly self-promote, but you're the target audience for the podcast I just started about the appeal of EMs and bingos. Heavy on the bingo talk in the first 8 episodes, but the 9th I released last night gives some general info about 60s EMs. http://foramusmentonly.libsyn.com

#6 9 years ago

Thanks everyone for their help. I bought it this morning from a store in Michigan. It should be delivered sometime late next week or early the following week. I probably overpaid, but I really liked the game and understand that being a store I would be paying more than I woukd from a private seller.

Wish me luck with my first EM and even more luck that it arrives safely. That's the part that scares me.

#8 9 years ago

The price police can say what they want about the cost of a pin. The question is for you to answer. Do you like and enjoy playing the the pin? If so who cares what you paid for it.

#9 9 years ago

Oh. Crap. Sorry.

I picked up a 1968 Safari. It should be here in about a week

It's not perfect, but is 100% working and what I would call in good condition for its age. The only thing I need to figure out is how prevent the back glass from getting any worse. There is some peeling and I know it would be impossible to find another so I'd like to get it sealed or something to stop it from getting worse.

Here are some of the pictures the seller sent me.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

i have only em's and am never "bored"...

+ 1
    Also Em's require actual skill unlike most wpc and dmd machines with are very easily dominated and beaten consistently .

Pick the correct EM and you will never ever make it your Bytch !

I recommend an early 1960's Gottlieb or mid 1960's bally

Good luck

Brian

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buying-an-em and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.