You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ACDC-videotile.png
#1 10 years ago

When I look at my collection of pins, I usually play the TAF or MM,
but quite seldom LOTR or WMS IJ.

I guess AC/DC would in all probability suit me better than the WOZ?
(I have only managed to try out the AC/DC and it seemed nice, but
not the WOZ at all)

Thanks for any advice!

#2 10 years ago

Tough call there Nepi23.. I own them both and I will say I LOVE my AC/DC premium. WoZ is a fantastic game and my family (2 daughters and wife) love that pin more than any other. So if I HAD to choose I couldnt give up my AC/DC.. but thats just me.

#3 10 years ago

Both are awesome games. I don't think you could go wrong. I love my ACDC premium, but I hope to get a WOZ next.

#5 10 years ago

If you're talking the AC/DC Premium then AC/DC otherwise WOZ.

#6 10 years ago

Tough one!! I do not own either one but have played them both. While i like them both in many different ways, i would have to say i would choose WOZ at this time. It feels more like a Williams game to me and based on my current collection, you will see i love Williams/Bally. Based on your collection you like Bally/Williams and Stern. Going to be tough for you but you can't go wrong w/ either one.

#7 10 years ago

Do everything you can to play a WOZ before you decide. For me, the build quality and imagination of design set this pin at a new level. But that is a subjective judgement. Play it first and make your choice with confidence!

#8 10 years ago

AC/DC is a lot more fun, but WOZ is more pretty.

#9 10 years ago

I just drove 25 miles today to play an AC/DC, which I first played in August at the Vegas PHOF. I had a lot of fun with the game then...

...until I played WOZ and knew I had to buy one. I've had one in the home for 6 weeks now. Yes, there are problems to iron out (but not if you get it now). But after having played AC/DC again today, the game just annoyed me. The callouts were obnoxious, I thought, as were many of the sounds (the bell is WAY cool, though, and I like being able to pick my song). Please keep in mind I'm a HUGE AC/DC fan, but after 3 games and 20 minutes, I went back home, confident that I'd bought the greatest pin ever made.

Get a WOZ - once you own one, you'll never regret it, and you'll probably end up ordering a Hobbit as well!

#10 10 years ago

Pretty easy answer... ACDC

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

AC/DC is a lot more fun, but WOZ is more pretty.

I agree...

#12 10 years ago

I've yet to play WOZ, but AC\DC is pretty damn awesome.

#13 10 years ago

Ask yourself what kind of game you prefer. If it's a faster flowing game go with ACDC. WOZ looks to be coming along nicely so if you enjoy a game with a very deep rule set then go WoZ.

#14 10 years ago

I own em both. They sit right next to each other. Ac/dc is NOT a lot more fun, they are both a blast to play and if you want to rock out then go Ac/dc, can't go wrong either way and I honestly don't know which one would go if I had to get rid of one, glad I don't have to! It would probably be Ac/dc because more people want to play the Woz when they come over......

Doesn't get better than Ac/dc though when plowing down a six pack.....

#15 10 years ago

Easy. Do you like munchkins and fairies and rainbows and lady's footwear? Or do you like kick-ass rock and roll?

I'm kidding....Sorta...

Seriously, WoZ is an amazing piece of hardware with amazing features. If you like the theme, and methodical gameplay, then it's a pretty easy decision for WoZ. But AC/DC has fantastically innovative rules, is fast, flows, and gets my heart racing like no other machine that I have played. Pure adrenaline!

#16 10 years ago

I have them both in my basement right now.

AC/DC is a mother f'ing, jizz squirting, blast to play. Faster than a lot lizard, with flow galore.

WOZ is slower, but is much preferred by my woman over any other game in the house. She would never let me sell it. I've put my hours into it, and every update makes it a better game.

Honestly, I don't think you could go wrong either way.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Easy. Do you like munchkins and fairies and rainbows and lady's foot ware? Or do you like kick-ass rock and roll?
I'm kidding....Sorta...
Seriously, WoZ is an amazing piece of hardware with amazing features. If you like the theme, and methodical gameplay, then it's a pretty easy decision for WoZ. But AC/DC has fantastically innovative rules, is fast, flows, and gets my heart racing like no other machine that I have played. Pure adrenaline!

I wouldn't say that WOZ gameplay is 'methodical'; far from it. And the rules are already more "innovative" than ACDC imo. Even draining the ball offers new ballsave experiences.

ACDC is 'fast' and 'flowing' but you've seen the layout and shots before. If you like this fast, basic kind of game, then ACDC is it. And the music is great. But I would say that WOZ has the far more innovative and distinctive layout, with a MUCH bigger variety of shots. It's more like TZ in that respect, if that helps.

#18 10 years ago

Seems like they are a nice pair. Fast flow or deep rules with great build quality pic one and save for the other.

#19 10 years ago

WOZ is better than most give it credit for, but it cannot compete with ACDC. WOZ is one of those games that looks better than it sounds and plays. ACDC, plays, sounds and looks amazing!

#20 10 years ago

For you or the family with kids?

Man cave - AC/DC
For the family with younger kids - WOZ

Couldn't be two different pins so that makes comparisons tough.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from akm:

I've yet to play WOZ, but AC\DC is pretty damn awesome.

Get up to Town Hall and play some WOZ.
TOPS running on ACDC and WPT.

I like 90's style games as much as the next guy and have played many of them thousands of times each.

ACDC is a great example of a fun 90's style game and the rules are spectacular. Lyman certainly did not disappoint on this title.

That said, part of the pinball experience that I have always enjoyed is seeing what the design team can put out that has not been done before. I really enjoyed it when games went to dot matrix from alphanumeric, when the rules became much deeper in the early 90's, when designers get creative with the way the ball interacts with the mechs, etc.

WOZ is not more of the same that we have seen for years and years. The LCD and playfield lights set it apart. The design team did not play it safe and went all out with two miniplayfieds, a huge number of coils and magnets, five flippers, clearcoat all over the place, headphone jack, line out jack, stereo, topper, very solid cabinet, etc.
And to top it off creative KEF rules - outlane games and crystal ball modes are awesome. Rollovers galore. WMS parts and Granner music are a nice bonus as well.
$6500+ is a lot to pay for a pin, but with WOZ, you can see where it went to.

For those in the DC area, go to Town Hall Liquors in College Park and play ACDC premium and WOZLE side by side.

#22 10 years ago

Both are great games for different reasons. I own an ACDC Premium and it's bolted to the floor. Personally, I would buy the ACDC Premium and pocket the $1,500 difference in price for a Woz. Don't even consider the ACDC Pro.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from Newsom:

Get up to Town Hall and play some WOZ.

I've been meaning to.. I'll have to see what my finances are going to be looking like in the near future. This weekend I'm supposed to be buying/picking up a.. *drum roll please* AC/DC for myself, so things may be tight for me for a while.

#24 10 years ago

I don't own either, but I've played both. I would go with WOZ by a long shot. I was worried that the theme would be annoying. It's totally not. Enough with the macho bullsh!7... ACDC is a fantastic pin (And I'm a huge fan of those tiny Australian Gods of Rock!), but it's very typical of every other modern Stern game (which I love btw). I have LOTR (Amazing), and I'm awaiting STLE to be delivered. I had a total blast playing WOZ. It made we want to buy the machine... Which I would have done, if I hadn't received STLE from my amazing wife a week earlier! I think WOZ is an example of a new company trying to do something fantastic. It's reminiscent of the crazy early to mid 90s Williams/Bally classics. Lots of bells and whistles. Super lighting. Play them both, and go with your gut. My gut says WOZ by a long shot.

#25 10 years ago

Buy ACDC Premium now & get The Hobbit later. It looks like a better shooter (playfield layout) then WoZ and you get all the build quality of JJP with a better theme.

#26 10 years ago

The trouble is that WOZ is nowhere to be found in Finland, but there would be an opportunity to buy the WOZ LE from abroad. On the other hand, there is an importer in Finland for AC/DC and I have managed to try out the AC/DC Premium - which I liked, even though it was just for a couple of games. I am not a fan of the band, but actually might grow to like the music with the pin

I guess it pours down whether to want a blazing-fast pin with cool music and rock'n roll for my man-cave (I do not have a family, women liking pins are not that easy to be found ) or a beautiful pin with many features, but a much slower flow.

Thanks for the comments and any other comments are welcome, I enjoy reading the thread and will try to make up my mind as soon as possible.

That was not a bad idea smassa, BTW!

#27 10 years ago

ACDC-videotile.pngACDC-videotile.png

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

I guess it pours down whether to want a blazing-fast pin with cool music and rock'n roll for my man-cave (I do not have a family, women liking pins are not that easy to be found ) or a beautiful pin with many features, but a much slower flow.

WOZ used to be slow in the very early stages, but there's nothing slow about it now, especially after a nice coat of wax...

#29 10 years ago

Buy both they both bring something different to the game. I love both of mine

#30 10 years ago

That would be a nice compromise for sure wdpvideo

#31 10 years ago

Thanks guys for the advice, I submitted today an order for the AC/DC Premium then - the deal is dependent however on whether we can make the timetable match, I am keeping my fingers crossed.

#32 10 years ago

Hard to pick one as I own (and enjoy) both. If I only had to have one it would be WOZ due to its complexity in terms of more toys, features, and a deep quest / story based ruleset.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

16,500 (Firm)
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

12,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buying-advice-acdc-or-woz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.