• Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
image.jpg

#1 6 years ago

I'm looking at a used ecle woz with a build date of 8/7/13. I know the light boards were replaced, but what else should I be concerned about? I'm mostly worried about the playfield problems, and so what date is considered to have corrected playfield builds? Thanks for any input

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I'm looking at a used ecle woz with a build date of 8/7/13. I know the light boards were replaced, but what else should I be concerned about? I'm mostly worried about the playfield problems, and so what date is considered to have corrected playfield builds? Thanks for any input

My WOZECLE has a build date of 10/24/2013 and has the upgraded 7.5 volt LED light boards. My 7.5 volt LED light boards do not have the daughterboard enhancement board. I have not had any LED light board issues on my game.

I am guessing that a WOZECLE with a build date of 8/7/2013 will have the 5 volt LED light boards which seem to be the most problematic of the LED light boards although some folks with the 5 volt LED light boards have reported very few issues while others have reported that they have had issues with the 5 volt LED light boards.

I haven't had any playfield issues with my WOZECLE (chipping clear coat or lifting artwork). As I understand it some of the earlier Bader playfields had issues with the paint adhering properly to the wood playfield which was later corrected on the playfield production line after this was discovered. Based on this just because you have a Bader playfield doesn't necessarily mean that you will have a playfield problem.

I have no idea of the dates for the early playfield manufacturing process when this issue was corrected. I haven't heard of the Mirco playfields having this issue.

Hopefully others will chime in with their build dates and what else to look for and their experiences with WOZECLE.

Gord

#3 6 years ago

Thanks for the info. Seems like there should be a way to find which playfield it is. Anybody know as far as dates the production changed?

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Thanks for the info. Seems like there should be a way to find which playfield it is. Anybody know as far as dates the production changed?

Look on the side of the playfield for any markings by the manufacturer. Remember, just because it is a Bader playfield doesn't mean it will have problems.

I believe that most of the early run WOZECLE have Bader playfields. The question then is whether or not it is an early Bader playfield or a later Bader playfield where they had tweaked their manufacturing process to correct some of the early issues.

Gord

#5 6 years ago

I can't figure out how they built and dated them but my WOZ has a manufacturing date of 1-8-2013 and came with the 7.5 volt boards and no playfield issues what so ever after 800 plays. Game was delivered to me Feb, 2014

#6 6 years ago

I used to own a WOZ. I believe the change (5 to 7.5) occurred in September or October 2013.

#7 6 years ago

I have 5 v light boards on my WOZ ECLE, had one issue in the last year, and they replaced the board in a few days. My playfield is perfect, not sure which one it is though.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from jamesdeloris:

I used to own a WOZ. I believe the change (5 to 7.5) occurred in September or October 2013.

Doesn't explain how the new boards got in my game in January 2013. If they were actually in there January 2013. I'm thinking they dated the cabinets and then put the game in it shortly before they delivered it to me in February, 2014. Mine is 231/1000 standard. Is that possible ???

#9 6 years ago

i took delivery on a le then sold it back to joe and got a ruby red because of the potential board issues. all i know is that mine was manufactured in the time period that had the issues. i think it was august 2013. not 100% sure. hope the ruby red is good. unfortunately, it is still nib. no space and time

#10 6 years ago

What are your opinions on the reliability of woz(a new RR or older ecle)?

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Saveleaningtower:

i took delivery on a le then sold it back to joe and got a ruby red because of the potential board issues. all i know is that mine was manufactured in the time period that had the issues. i think it was august 2013. not 100% sure. hope the ruby red is good. unfortunately, it is still nib. no space and time

LOL, buy a $6k+ machine, don't have time or space for it. WHAT?

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

My ruby red (born in September 2015) has been perfect so far. Of course, I've only had it about 2.5 months.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I can only speak for my RR edition, which I've had for about 3 weeks. Keep in mind that I love the game, but have had some issues that are extremely irritating considering the price. I have been working with support to get things addressed, but it's time out of my schedule that I don't have to waste on something that was NiB.

1. Witch switch was out of adjustment and was always registering hits (fixed)
2. Winkie drop target stopped working due to the screws falling out of the switch (fixed)
3. G27 Light board died and had to be replaced (fixed)
4. Scarecrow roll over sticks too far out of the play field causing air balls that are damaging the metal ring around the bottom of the witch. (Tried to shim it with washers but it didn't work - not fixed)
5. Monkey makes a grinding noise at two points when traveling up or down. (just started - haven't submitted ticket)
6. The ball sensor must not be aligned because the monkey tries to pick up the ball even if it hasn't been captured by the magnet. (I didn't know there was a ball sensor until a few days ago when I read it here - haven't submitted ticket)
7. The crystal ball either freezes with a garbled screen or shows diagnostic information (supposed to be fixed with a software update according to support - update not yet available)

This is not a bash JJP post because I love the game and the support has been stellar so far, but it's very irritating to be spending time fixing things instead of playing the game.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

4. Scarecrow roll over sticks too far out of the play field causing air balls that are damaging the metal ring around the bottom of the witch. (Tried to shim it with washers but it didn't work - not fixed)
5. Monkey makes a grinding noise at two points when traveling up or down. (just started - haven't submitted ticket)
6. The ball sensor must not be aligned because the monkey tries to pick up the ball even if it hasn't been captured by the magnet. (I didn't know there was a ball sensor until a few days ago when I read it here - haven't submitted ticket).

4: I have this issue with it causing airballs on shots to the ramp, which then won't make the ramp, haven't worked on it too much though. I've hoped that with play the spring will get weaker and stop the airballs. I might have to try shimming it or replacing the rollover.

5. Had the same issue and it took a couple things to fix it. First I had to slightly (and carefully) bend the mounting hardware at each end to prevent the monkey mech from contacting the middle wood piece. Then I lubricated the entire threaded shaft with spray lithium grease, now it's very smooth.

6. I've worked on this issue more than once, and have had it "fixed" more than once by re-positioning the sensor. However after a few weeks the problem comes back and the tests show the sensor registering the ball again, even when it's not there. My guess is that the sensitivity of the sensor either varies or other factors impact the magnetic field created when he capture magnet is energized. It's still much better than it was when it first arrived and I can live with occasional "false" captures, as that's better than it not capturing when it should.

#15 6 years ago

Wow, I'm irritated just reading your post. I hope you get them fixed. Sounds like a lot of issues for a new game. Other woz owners, what's your experience?

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from lancestorm:

try $8 grand + . yeah i work a lot and i have 18 others pins and about 15 other game room related items. foos, superchexx, juke, air hockey, touchscreen,..... it will be there when i am ready. kinda why i like buying huo more. the game is already out of the box and just needs to be powered up

#17 6 years ago

also, not taking the ruby red out of the box without an expert JJ tech right there to correct everything that can potentially be wrong as stated above

#18 6 years ago

Spyderturbo007, that is a ridiculous number of issues and I would be very angry. They've had years to perfect the build process and best avoid these issues. I can understand 1 or 2 problems as a result of shipping, but geez I'd be all over JJP for a machine having that many problems and I'm a very patient/understanding person!

#19 6 years ago

That's exactly what I'm thinking Lance

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from lancestorm:

I'd be all over JJP for a machine having that many problems and I'm a very patient/understanding person!

Believe me, I've been very close to packing it up, dropping it on their doorstep and demanding a refund.

Nothing like having a "I just got a WoZ RR Edition for $9,000" party and needing to work on the game half the night.

I felt like an ass for spending so much money on something that was broke down the first day and to be honest, still isn't working correctly.

#21 6 years ago

We did have to make one adjustment out of the box. The cable powering the monitor had jiggled loose in shipping and kept it from booting. But that was a pretty easy fix. We've seen none of the issues you're having.

I can't believe you're fighting that many issues, that's just ridiculous.

#22 6 years ago

No doubt. I hope most are good out of box. This sounds very discouraging

#23 6 years ago

To be fair, all of the issues I've experienced have been pretty minor and relatively easy to fix and the game still played fine with the exception of the monkey, which would vibrate hard enough to drop the ball. I absolutely love the game and bought it fully aware of other users reporting similar issues.

#24 6 years ago

I've been very happy with the quality of my RR (received in late August). Of the issues listed above I've only had #2 - one screw falling out of the winkie target assembly and causing the target not to pop up. Very easy fix. Otherwise I've had only the most minor of issues in four months of ownership - one bad coin door LED, one blown fuse, had to adjust the single door on the castle playfield so the monkey wouldn't catch on it. Great support from JJP each time an issue has arisen.

#25 6 years ago

I've had my RR ed for about 2 months. No major problems either. Had to connect usb at rear on pc box to update and pair up the audio cable which had been disconnected. Not one single issue really. Great game overall very pleased with its quality and gameplay.

Like anything some can have problem from day zero and others you can play for 2 years straight with no problems.

#26 6 years ago

Open the PC box and look at the front right corner by the solid state hard drive. Do you see this board or a meshed metal box?

image.jpg

#27 6 years ago

There are more things likely to go wrong with WOZ because there is simply more period. I've been very pleased with WOZ visually but dissapointed mechanically in things that go wrong, mostly from screws not tightened, things that work loose, ect. I would not purchase a WOZ unless you are at least somewhat pinball savy. The later the build date the better. Though JJP support is unequaled, quality control could be better especially at the screw tightening station.

If you take nuts and bolts out of the equation here's a list of what went wrong: monitor driver board, 2 broken lit winkies (not JJP), solenoid wire broken by plunger, broken VUK center post, slipper exited flipper.

#28 6 years ago

I'm thinking I'm just going to bite the bullet on a nib RR. It's a machine that's become my grail game that I plan on keeping for a very long time. Sounds like checking for loose screws is a must right out of box. Thanks for the input.

#29 6 years ago

I have an early WOZ with 5-volt boards and have never had a single problem with them or with the playfield. The only bits I've replaced are things that I myself broke. It still works perfectly.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from FXR:

Doesn't explain how the new boards got in my game in January 2013. If they were actually in there January 2013. I'm thinking they dated the cabinets and then put the game in it shortly before they delivered it to me in February, 2014. Mine is 231/1000 standard. Is that possible ???

Not sure about your game and the dates, but I bought one of the last ECLE's they made in Nov 2014 and the stickers say 11/6/2014 for the manufacture date. It doesn't look like the stickers were changed or scraped off, or anything like that. I bought and picked it up directly from JJP. When I ordered it, Jen said it was one of three in production on the line.

Other than a screw that loosened on the witch's microswitch, I've had zero problems with the game and we have about 1,200 games on it.

#31 6 years ago

JJP's Serial numbers and manufacturing dates are as elusive and mystical as Colt Firearms serial numbers. Trying to figure them out will make your head spin. No rhyme or reason. But I sure do like them both.

1 week later
#32 6 years ago

Does anybody know if those reported bad playfields were only on Emerald City editions, or have bad playfields been reported on standard editions also?

Not sure where I can find this info.

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Does anybody know if those reported bad playfields were only on Emerald City editions, or have bad playfields been reported on standard editions also?
Not sure where I can find this info.

I believe its a combination of ECLE's and the 1000 numbered standards that were being made at the same time. It seems only a few early WOZ games with "Bader" playfields had the clear coat / artwork chipping issue. It must have been a small batch of the playfields as there are people with early WOZ's (some of the first shipped) with no playfield issues.

Regardless of what playfield you have owners should get the free mylar kit from JJP for high wear areas such as between the pops and the state fair pop. A lot of wear issues in these areas could have been prevented had JJP put mylar in these areas at the factory as well as lowered the coil settings.

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Regardless of what playfield you have owners should get the free mylar kit from JJP for high wear areas such as between the pops and the state fair pop. A lot of wear issues in these areas could have been prevented had JJP put mylar in these areas at the factory as well as lowered the coil settings.

I have an early numbered standard that has no sign of playfield wear. Didn't know JJP offered a free Mylar kit. I like to apply that kit to my playfield. Guess I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if I can get one. Thanks for the info.

#35 6 years ago

My ECLE has been very reliable. The only issue I had was one of the 7.5v light boards failed and was quickly replaced. Running like the masterpiece it is ever since.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from FXR:

Didn't know JJP offered a free Mylar kit. I like to apply that kit to my playfield. Guess I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if I can get one.

Please go to the Support section on the JJP website and open a ticket on the help desk. There is a pull down thing for the mylar kit.

LTG : )

#37 6 years ago

Our WOZ ECLE has been rock solid for a year and a half. It is a great game and reliable.

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from FXR:

JJP's Serial numbers and manufacturing dates are as elusive and mystical as Colt Firearms serial numbers. Trying to figure them out will make your head spin. No rhyme or reason. But I sure do like them both.

Really? Mine has a build date printed on the back of the head.

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Really? Mine has a build date printed on the back of the head.

So does mine but it doesn't explain what I said in post #5 and #8 above. But if you have the answer, I'm sure willing to be schooled on the dates of manufacturing, delivery date, and the newer light boards it was delivered with. Still makes no sense to me.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from lancestorm:

Sometimes life gets in the way. You'll find out.

My RR is also still sitting NIB.

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from FXR:

I can't figure out how they built and dated them but my WOZ has a manufacturing date of 1-8-2013 and came with the 7.5 volt boards and no playfield issues what so ever after 800 plays. Game was delivered to me Feb, 2014

That does not make any sense to me - were you the original owner nib?

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

That does not make any sense to me - were you the original owner nib?

Sure was. Took it out of the box brand spanking new. Glad to see it doesn't makes sense to somebody else

image_(resized).jpeg

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside