(Topic ID: 195563)

Buying a used machine with no paperwork

By PtownPin

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5012 (resized).JPG
    #1 6 years ago

I'm looking at buying a used WOZ RR that appears to be in great shape. Clearly the machine is authentic, but the seller doesn't have any paperwork. Seems like a great guy, but does this affect value if I go to resell the game?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

#2 6 years ago

Last I heard, a printed copy of the manual was about $100 if someone wanted one.

However, you can get the PDF version for free on JJP's website.

So, no, the lack of the manual does not really affect the value since JJP games were not shipped with a printed manual.

If you're looking for a receipt to prove it is HUO, a receipt would be something interesting to accompany the game, but the lack of one doesn't affect the value. Condition is all that matters.

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Last I heard, a printed copy of the manual was about $100 if someone wanted one.
    So, no, the lack of the manual does not really affect the value since JJP games were not shipped with a printed manual.
    If you're looking for a receipt to prove it is HUO, a receipt would be something interesting to accompany the game, but the lack of one doesn't affect the value. Condition is all that matters.

I agree here

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

+1

I'm not sure why anyone would really pay that much for a printed copy, when the PDF is paginated, searchable, and updated when there's a new code release.

If you really want a hard copy, you can always print it out and stick it in a binder.

#5 6 years ago

I think the op is really talking about purchase paperwork, heck, I have opened nib games and don't have a shred of anything but emails to go off of

#6 6 years ago

Makes no difference.

#7 6 years ago

It is kinda cool to open a 20 year old game and find a sales receipt, or a maintenance ticket... or this...

IMG_5012 (resized).JPGIMG_5012 (resized).JPG

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

It is kinda cool to open a 20 year old game and find a sales receipt, or a maintenance ticket... or this...

That is so weird/creeeeepy

#9 6 years ago

Yeeeesh.....that's nightmare fodder, that is. And "she" has man-hands.

#10 6 years ago

I realize that the machine doesn't come with a printed manual (which is total BS in my mind)....that being said I was referring to the receipt, and COA...my Hobbit SMAUG came with a Certificate of Authenticity....I think they called it a Deed of Title...I suspect JJP can issue another one if asked? My initial thought is that it really doesn't matter, but wanted some input from others....

#11 6 years ago

Paperwork has never influenced my decision to buy. Condition is king.

#12 6 years ago

I just bought a pre-owned WOZ RR and same thing nothing on Paper. And yes it doesn't matter even for a warranty issue. I have had excellent factory support from JJP. Just an added bonus for purchasing one of their products. Its just another example of their willingness to stand behind their great products and (in my book) it adds value.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

I realize that the machine doesn't come with a printed manual (which is total BS in my mind)....that being said I was referring to the receipt, and COA...my Hobbit SMAUG came with a Certificate of Authenticity....I think they called it a Deed of Title...I suspect JJP can issue another one if asked? My initial thought is that it really doesn't matter, but wanted some input from others....

if JJP can just print one then it is worthless

papers, plaques, reciepts, original box come a distant second to condition, condition, condition

#14 6 years ago

You don't need paperwork. Serial number tells verytjing you need to know. When you get the game, register as the new owner with jjp. It won't give you any benefit, but jjp can give you some of the history on the game.

#15 6 years ago

Thanks everyone...I appreciate the insight....my WOZ RR adventures will begin on Sunday

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

I'm not sure why anyone would really pay that much for a printed copy,

Printed on photo quality paper, a lot more pages covering the development of the game.

If you take the pdf to Kinkos to get it printed and bound, you'll find the price similar.

LTG : )

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Printed on photo quality paper, a lot more pages covering the development of the game.
    If you take the pdf to Kinkos to get it printed and bound, you'll find the price similar.

Much better to buy it from the source, I'm awaiting the code to be final, then I'm on it, then I'll place it on a pedestal next to my game for all to fondle, along with a new set of Playfields and LIONMAN!!!

#18 6 years ago

I only worry about papers when I'm playing for pink slips.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from Skins:

I only worry about papers when I'm playing for pink slips.

on Thunder Road...

#20 6 years ago

Did Ruby Reds come with a certificate? It is not really a limited game like the ECLE so coming with a certificate would be unusual in the pinball world.

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

I realize that the machine doesn't come with a printed manual (which is total BS in my mind).

It's large and expensive to print. Plus it has been updated several times because of code updates or various other things that players have noticed that would be useful to include.

It's not like the old days where one version of a manual is all you got.

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Yes but the mistakes in them always made it a challenge.

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Except when the game manufacturer sent out the service update bulletins to you (which were then added to the tabulation and addendums of the manual), free of charge, many times including parts and upgrades, if required, without asking, as an operator or registered private owner. The keyword is "registered" here for personal use not just an owner as the person needed to fill out the warranty card.

This included support for games that were no longer in production, sometimes exceeding more than a decade old.
    Parts support was many times much longer, if the company was still operational.
    This mindset went back all the way from the 1950s to the 1990s.

People forget the past in favor of a simpler, cost effective future, and are not directly considering all aspects of customer support.
    It is just an example of not knowing what was provided when operators were the "standard" of game sales, and what was considered acceptable and what was not.
    Times have changed, and not always for the better.
    There is no nostalgia here, just observations.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/buying-a-used-machine-with-no-paperwork?hl=raegor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.