(Topic ID: 97502)

Buying A Restored BW Game A Year... What do you think?

By Strange

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 43 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Thor-NL
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

$_57.JPG
19_G.sized.jpg
goldcrownv_mahnckl_hero.jpg

#1 5 years ago

Here is my Plan: To purchased a high end restored BW game every year to be opened and enjoyed every Christmas Eve for the immediate future starting 2015.

I'm going for a slow burn for acquiring my games. I'm not fucking around and going with the best - 1990's Bally Williams. They are the games closest to my heart that I want to keep forever. I see getting at least 10 machines. I'm not gonna start this Christmas because I still need to purchase my new home and start establishing the basics of my gameroom first like setting up a nice wet bar and pool table. I don't want to rush things. I'm very long term in everything I do and I want something super nice for me and my loved ones to look forward to every Holiday season. What better than a primo 90's BW game in the best condition.

What do you guys think? Am I dumb going the patient route or should I just blow my load and be done with it as fast as possible?

19_G.sized.jpg

#2 5 years ago

Do what is most fun for YOU !

LTG : )™

#3 5 years ago

You're strange

#4 5 years ago

Unless you are forced to wait because a game isn't released or announced yet (Sterns next new title as an example). If you have the money and room, I don't see a reason to wait to purchase multiple pins. It would give you the opportunity to trade/sell as needed. You also aren't going to live forever..

#5 5 years ago

I'm 31 years old so hopefully I live at least a little longer...

#6 5 years ago

What's the pool table for

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from Slugmeister:

For putting tools on while fixing pins.... ........Joey

#8 5 years ago

Awesome Goal....need to plan a Pinball House Party New Year's Day 2025

#9 5 years ago

Do whatever makes you happy but:

1. if you have not bought your first then be prepared for plans to changes as soon as the first one comes in the door They like to multiply quickly.

2. Buy in summer and you will save yourself $$$ in the long run. The pinball buying tends to slow in summer and prices dip (regardless of what greater trend there is in the market).

3. Branch out and play more pinball. While B/W from the 90s are still my overall favorites, the more you play the more you may opt for a bit more variety. There are LOTS of other great games, eras, and manufacturers over the years.

have fun!

#10 5 years ago

I even have an order of preference of what game to collect at what time... Of course this is liable to change...

Note: The only newly manufactured modern pinball I see having a chance joining this list are the upcoming Jpop games... but still a big ???

Must Haves ~

Year # 1 - Monster Bash

Year # 2 - Cirqus Voltaire

Year # 3 - Twilight Zone

Year # 4 - Attack from Mars

Year # 5 - Tales of the Arabian Nights

Year # 6 - Medieval Madness

#11 5 years ago

OP.....that is a very good plan....I like your style....only down side I can think of is passing them up...then not seeing a particular title again.....that's it how I justified my T2 purchase....I just got my RK..then a very nice T2 example came along and I said to my self....self...you may never see another in this condition..buy it..!!!...so I did.....good luck with your venture.......Joey

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from Slugmeister:

goldcrownv_mahnckl_hero.jpg

That's what it is for! Brunswick Gold Crown 5. A work of art to me. I love playing pool. I'm getting one arcade cabinet as well - a red Donkey Kong

#13 5 years ago

Two thumbs up.Good luck with your endeavors.

#14 5 years ago

Report back in 12 years.

Thanks for stopping by

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

I'm 31 years old so hopefully I live at least a little longer...

We had a guy in our office die at 32.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

We had a guy in our office die at 32.

sorry to hear that

#17 5 years ago

While your top 10 are all killer pins I think its a little short sighted to not include any modern games. There are a handful of truly great Stern Games and WOZ is easily in my top 5 all time. Not to mention the other boutique manufacturers are making interesting games (Captain Nemo, AMH, P3, Predator,Pinball Circus etc etc) But whatever floats your boat, go for it

#18 5 years ago

A lot of the fun of this hobby for me is the hunt. Finding a game for a good price I can fix or trade up. I've fallen in love with some of those games that I would have never given a chance if I hadn't played them properly adjusted and working.

While I think this is a fantastic idea on paper, if you have room for 12 pins, start collecting. Grab an "A" lister you've wanted and maybe a couple filler pins for less money. Rotate out the filler for more filler or for better/different games. I think your idea on what pins you want to keep will change drastically. You've listed basically the top B/W titles that everyone wants. You may not actually want all of those once you have them in the collection for awhile.

I was a die hard B/W guy, and Sterns didn't feel right for years. I had to sell a few off but a few weeks ago 4 of 10 were Sterns. And I sold off my grail restored AFM.

Good luck, but allow some flexibility in your plan. I've had lots of high end pins here, a few on your list that are no longer here. For example, TOM was one of my grail pins. It didn't last long in the collection. Dr Dude I never even heard of but got a good deal on. I would buy back Dr Dude twice before I bought another TOM. Dr D brought 10x the fun playing with friends.

#19 5 years ago

You need to add a CQ EM to your list...

BW pins will always be my first love. But there's nothing like mixing things up and playing a few EM games in between.

I also think MM and AFM are a bit too similar for a small collection. You may want to space those purchases out by a few more years (just my opinion of course).

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from jamieflowers:

While your top 10 are all killer pins I think its a little short sighted to not include any modern games. There are a handful of truly great Stern Games and WOZ is easily in my top 5 all time. Not to mention the other boutique manufacturers are making interesting games (Captain Nemo, AMH, P3, Predator,Pinball Circus etc etc) But whatever floats your boat, go for it

I love playing all the new pinballs, I do, I just don't fell the need to own them. One of the main reasons I love those 90's BW games is due to aesthetic value. They are just beautiful all around and the original themes and the original art are just excellent. The presence! The music and sounds of some of these machines are phenomenal as well. If BW never made pinball machines I just don't see myself appreciating this sort of thing as much as I do. They just had that magic. They just had that ether. I guess I want a 90's BW theme running throughout my gameroom.

So really I would only let a modern machine into the collection if its on par with the rest of what I want and honestly I haven't come across one yet... Seriously though, those Jpops coming are looking really particular. I wouldn't be surprised if one or all of them broke my 90's BW threshold. Looking forward to those basterds~

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

I love playing all the new pinballs, I do, I just don't fell the need to own them. One of the main reasons I love those 90's BW games is due to aesthetic value. They are just beautiful all around and the original themes and the original art are just excellent. The presence! The music and sounds of some of these machines are phenomenal as well. If BW never made pinball machines I just don't see myself appreciating this sort of thing as much as I do. They just had that magic. They just had that ether. I guess I want a 90's BW theme running throughout my gameroom. So really I would only let a modern machine into the collection if its on par with the rest of what I want and honestly I haven't come across one yet...

"I just don't fell the need to own them."
I agree with your sentiment, you have to go with what calls to you. This "collecting" hobby -- is driven by a purely subjective experience, often by nostalgia.

EMs, DMDs, and Moderns don't call to me. For me, there are exceptions from every era, but only exceptions. If a Frontier, TOM, TOTAN, TZ, or perhaps a STLE landed in my garage, I'd gladly hold onto 'em -- but they are games that I can play elsewhere -- I'm no rush to own them and restore them. I have friends that own them. A few questions I asked myself while building out my collection was, "Will my friends own any of these machines?"... "Will my friends want me to own these machines?" ... "Are there museums nearby that own these?"

I chose to build out a pure B/W/G 80's collection, because I think they are the best looking and best sounding games with the best designs and the most action. 80's games call to me.

Three points come to mind regarding your approach:

1. Sometimes we perceive problems that may not exist. Then we overthink solutions to our perceived problems. Do you have the resources to get all 12 now? If so, what are you hoping to solve by getting one per year? (I would consider other ways to solve that perceived problem.)

2. My main concern is that prices will only go up, and if money matters to you, (not to mention the scarcity of said objects), it would only do you well to gobble up the collection you want ASAP before prices go even higher, and before more people get into pinball and want the same scarce games.

3. One assumption being made is that the masters of High End restores will still be active in pinball in years to come. If there is a master whose work you really appreciate, then I would arrange an agreement now, and get a commitment from that person to complete X tables for me.

Hope those ideas help.
-mof

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

I don't want to rush things. I'm very long term in everything I do and I want something super nice for me and my loved ones to look forward to every Holiday season. What better than a primo 90's BW game in the best condition.

I think this is the perfect attitude. Take your time and enjoy the process of getting these high end restorations. Way more enjoyable to do it slowly rather than blowing your load all at once! I think one every 9-10 months is a good way to do it based on how many you want.

Quoted from scylla:

I also think MM and AFM are a bit too similar for a small collection.

Not at all. Despite the obvious similarities, they play very differently. And they both kick ass.

#23 5 years ago

Good luck, but if you plan on having games restored, you will be lucky to get one per year from just one restorer.
However, you can usually find previously restored games back on the market for sale.

#24 5 years ago

scoop up restored games as PPS announces each remake. I dumped my MM & AFM as a direct result of them getting remade. I bet there are other dumbasses out there that will do the same thing that i did.

#25 5 years ago

Thinking about it some more. The games I really care about are my 6 grails. If I just get those in collector quality I'll be perfectly happy. So anything above that will just be the icing and I won't sweet them too much. So I'm getting at least 6 machines as opposed to 10 I said earlier. Sometimes less is more.

EDIT: F-IT. You only live once. Aspiring to the original 11 at least.

#26 5 years ago

Great idea. Good luck in finding all your machines. I was one for rapid accumulation once, but I like your style.

#27 5 years ago

Good idea but it's also nice to have a little variety in your lineup. I find a game like Joker Poker just as enjoyable as a new Stern or a 90's B/W. I think a complete SS/DMD collection would need to include at least 1 pin from each decade. Example Joker Poker, Pinbot, MB and AC/DC.

#28 5 years ago

I've tried to acquire a game a year since getting in the hobby. I slowed down as I got into the restoration side of it and have tried to restore or do a playfield swap at least once a year but my current restore started April 2013 and I'm basically in the middle of it. The one thing I would suggest is to just be open when you stumble across a great game. I bought my BSD when it was more frequently parted than sold outright and it has become one of my favorite pins. Enjoy your hunt.

#29 5 years ago

I've decided to only build up to 10 machines max. You have to put a limit to this sort of thing especially where I live where space is as a premium. If a modern machine from here on out really is one of the 10 best pinballs I've ever played it makes the cut and the last choice I have currently gets pushed out.

#30 5 years ago

If you can afford it, buy them whenever you can. Waiting might mean missing out when a machine you are chasing comes up.

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from blue95:

If you can afford it, buy them whenever you can. Waiting might mean missing out when a machine you are chasing comes up.

Agreed. The restoration costs are usually much higher than the purchase cost. Many of the most popular machines, and most on your list, had runs of 3000-4000 machines. You would be best off to buy the machines as they become available and have them restored as the budget allows. You would also be able to enjoy them sooner. This stategy has worked well for me although I am just getting my SS back after 2 years and my sample IJ is still awaiting restore.

Also keep an eye out for machines that someone has paid to restore (especially HEP restores). It is likely that the machine is selling for less than the purchase price plus the restore costs.

#32 5 years ago

It will be interesting to see what happens to prices over the next 10 years if you manage to stay on your 1 a year plan (I'm guessing you won't as you'll buy games as they become available).

If you had started this 10 years ago and were just finishing up, you'd be paying a lot more for those last few games than you would have had you bought them right away when you found them.

No way to know what will happen to prices but if they keep going up the way they have been, you'll want to buy them sooner than later.

Dave

#33 5 years ago

That looks like easy a $100,000 collection no?

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

One of the main reasons I love those 90's BW games is due to aesthetic value. They are just beautiful all around and the original themes and the original art are just excellent.

I love 90s B/W games as well. But the main reason for me is playability. Although you do have quite a goal there, it looks like you basically went down the pinside top 20 and picked out the B/W titles. Not the route I would take, but if those are all the ones you must have, good luck! They are out there.

3 months later
#35 5 years ago

4/7/15 EDIT

Purchasing a restored BW game a year to be ready in time for Christmas Eve every Holiday Season. Nailed my selection down to only my must haves that would receive heavy use.

No more gameroom in the plan. Purchasing a loft instead of a house and throwing everything I can fit in there. A Brunswick Gold Crown 5 pool table is a must.

Christmas Additions Every Year:

- Donkey Kong arcade cabinet

- Analogue Interactive Nt NES video game console

- Monster Bash pinball

- Cirqus Voltaire pinball

- The Addams Family pinball

- Attack from Mars pinball

- Tales of the Arabian Nights pinball

- Twilight Zone pinball

- Medieval Madness pinball

#36 5 years ago

I'm definitely budgeting for the Analogue NT as well. It's a really interesting project that I feel like is going to fulfill preorders then disappear. Not sure how viable a $500 NES is in the long term as a business, but I've got around 450 NES games and if they make an NES that's 1% better I'm onboard.

As far as your pinball plan, I think your patience is insane I can't even imagine where I'm going to live in 8 years.

#37 5 years ago

When I was 6 I used to cut out all the things I wanted for Christmas out of the Sears catalog and paste them on a list for my parents to find.It didn't work.

#38 5 years ago

I admire your planning tenacity, but I'd be astonished if you stick to the plan. You've never owned a single pinball machine before, have you? One year is a *long* time to only have access to one game.

And, won't your tastes and situation change over time? The only common thread between myself today and myself of 8 years ago is the football team I root for.

#39 5 years ago

I think it is a great plan. Except one thing. You need a pin right now. Start in 2014.

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

I admire your planning tenacity, but I'd be astonished if you stick to the plan. You've never owned a single pinball machine before, have you? One year is a *long* time to only have access to one game.
And, won't your tastes and situation change over time? The only common thread between myself today and myself of 8 years ago is the football team I root for.

Things are liable to change slightly but I'm for the most part sure these are the games I would want. I'm very experienced with each one of them and they never get old to me. Absolute gems.

In terms of the spacing in between acquiring games I don't think it's a big deal. I consider myself a console video gamer first and foremost when it comes to gaming and video games are the games that I have a big turnaround with. I play Xbox almost everyday along with the other current relevant consoles. So I never really have a shortage of games to play at any given moment.

Pinball ownership to me is very aesthetic. It's not just about the gameplay. It's also very much about the physical presence a great pinball machine gives, which in turn is going to help me establish an awesome gaming environment. That's why I feel I can take my time buying my favorite pins. It's kinda like I'm buying something really nice than just a game to play.

#41 5 years ago

$_57.JPG
#42 5 years ago

I say try your plan. You will have some great games and your video game hobby will give you the variety you need. If you need to change the plan in the future, I don't think anybody will tar and feather you and throw stones at you. My initial plan was to have 2 or 3 pins max. That was 1 year ago and I am sitting on 9 of them in the basement. Not saying that will happen to you, everyone is different..I agree with the post that says start in 2014 good luck!

#43 5 years ago

Great plan!!
But .... just a plan

Hope you have the restraint to follow this through ... like others already said, pins don't like to be alone, they multiply like rabids.

Sure like you're B/W sentiment

Good luck in building your collection.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 14.95
$ 35.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Phoenix, AZ
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 74.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
M&M Mods
Trade
Machine - For Trade
San Mateo, CA
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Beloit, WI
6,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Austin, TX
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 26.50
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 75.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside