New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 261596)

Buying a printer in 2020 for overlays.

By gawlicd

10 months ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by gawlicd
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20200210_222527 (resized).jpg

#1 10 months ago

I'm looking for affordable printer suggestions to make 1 up full playfield overlays for retheme.

#2 9 months ago

I don't think such a printer exists. Don't you need a white layer on an overlay? Such printers are prohibitively expensive. Work with a print shop!

#3 9 months ago

Makes me wonder if there's a way you could "hack" a standard wide format printer and swap out one of the ink cartridges, say black, for a pure white ink cartridge and then format your artwork so it thinks it's printing solid black, but it would lay down a white layer. Then you could swap the black ink back in and then print your normal CMYK. I guess technically you would likely do that in reverse so the ink layer is down and the protective film layer is up...

#4 9 months ago

These type printers are very expensive and most of the money is in the artwork. Just get the art done and let a local printer do it for you. A vinyl overlay the size of a playfield probably would not cost more than $100. If you wanted a different substrate it might raise the price some.

#5 9 months ago
    Quoted from gawlicd:

I'm looking for affordable printer suggestions to make 1 up full playfield overlays for retheme.

You'll probably find a UV inkjet with white ink printing capabilities in the $15k-$40k+ range.

If you're looking to print waterslide decals, a nice color laser printer will run you about $300-$600.

#6 9 months ago

I was planning on printing on white vinyl. I started a restoration project years ago and had help with artwork, might gave bean john g. Who recreated art from my scans of crossword. After first print which was off in many registration areas and sizes I worked with printer shop to dial it in till they gave up. This was in 2006. I thought newer 24 in printers would now be cheap.

#7 9 months ago

My original print has been in garage for years and as you can see is filthy and cut up etc.

20200210_222527 (resized).jpg
    #8 9 months ago
    Quoted from gawlicd:

My original print has been in garage for years and as you can see is filthy and cut up etc.[quoted image]

this is easy print job for a large format print shop. if you have the art ready to go and need a printer just let me know. I will do it at cost, but there should be someone local to you that can help.

#9 9 months ago

Thanks the problem was the art ( hole placement was off) was not right. So I had to use Illustrater and try and relocate things, back to printer for test then more editing. The printer just cut the art out in white so no ink was used but took many trips to the printer. I was not an expert in illustrater, lol. Finally he ran out of time as elections ( his money maker) was coming and he charged me nothing yet for all the trials. Eventually priorities changed for me and now it is 2020 instead of 2006. Was cleaning garage and unburied some pinballs and thought I would get back at it. I just cant believe there isn't a cheap inkjet capable of printing on vinyl. Maybe im missing the point and it is the type of ink needed is problem. Obviously I would clear coat it in something.

#10 9 months ago

My other option would be to buy a standalone vinyl cutter and make stencils and airbrush new paint on board. I do take pride in doing it myself. lol

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 27.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 689.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    £ 49.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    Lighting - Interactive
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 24.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 46.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 159.00
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 11.95
    $ 15.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 39.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Concealed Art
    $ 259.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Boards
    nvram.weebly.com
    $ 137.00
    $ 89.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 12.00
    Lighting - Led
    Pinball Haus
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside